Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Silverado and GMC Sierra Undercarriage Rust

Comments

• Rust proofing voids the warranty.

How is your truck doing now?

I am in a lawsuit with GM for undercarriage corrosion and have deposed the GM corrosion expert from Detroit.

He says that their wax undercoating protection is designed to last only one year and that many components aren't protected at all.

My amil is kmarrin@davismarrin.com.
  • How is your truck doing?

I am still in court with GM now on my undercarriage corrosion.

My email is kmarrin@davismarrin.com
  • KCRam@EdmundsKCRam@Edmunds Mt. Arlington NJPosts: 3,496
    ...please do NOT put your email address in your messages. If you wish to have off-list email contact, go to the Forums Preferences selection in the right-hand menu, and make your email address "public" (scroll to the email settings section and follow the link and instructions). This will make your email address visible to other members when someone clicks on your username.

kcram - Pickups/Wagons Host

KCRam - Pickups/Wagons/Vans+Minivans Moderator

• gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,001
    Hello zap73,
    I apologize that you have had concerns with your vehicle. Can you please email me at socialmedia@gm.com so I can look into your situation further? Thank you,
    Mariah GM Customer Service
  • I just found that my upper shock bracket on the passenger side blew right through the frame brace where it mounts due to major rust and rot My truck is A 2000 silverado 1500 but come on GM it looks like my truck sat on a beach for 2 years straight wich it has not the under carriage is so bad. Already lost brake lines due to rust issues and my rocker panels are starting to fall apart to. I was very excited when I got my silverado but now not so much
  • kendonhankkendonhank Posts: 61
    Has GM done anything for you?

I am in court with them right now on my undercarriage corrosion.

2005 Silverado HD with 2500 miles.

Have you filed a comlaint with NHTSB. They are doing an ivestigation on brake lines right now.
    When did you first notice major undercarriage corrosion.

Where do you live and do you garage the vehicle.

Do you have any photos?
  • You are kidding right? class action suit for undercarriage rust on a 6 year old truck! For about 7 bucks a can you can buy 3M rubberized undercoating, it takes about 3 cans to do under the box and 2 for under cab... It's a truck and the undercoating gets beat up and needs to be recoated from time to time. If you don't recoat the undercarraige at least once every couple years, you will get rust as a result of your neglect... ;)
    No, she's not kidding. My truck was rusted out underneath in less than two years.

And undercoating voids the warranty.

I have looked at hundreds of vehicles in my area that are left outside 24 x 7, have never been undercoated, and have never been washed, and the undercarriages are in perfect condition.

The trucks that are rusting prematurely have inadequate protection from the factory.
  • No I have not contacted any one figured my truck was to old to have any support from GM. I have had the truck about 4 years bought it used and to be honest did not notice how bad it was under their till I lost 2 brake lines within a couple months it's so far gone that I think I'm going to just get rid of it. I live in RI where there is lots of road salt in the winter so that made the problem 10 times worse I'm sure. But I see it is a common problem now so might not buy a chevy this time. I will get some pics and put them up just for people to look at
  • Sorry to chime in but I was searching for Silverado frame rust and I found this forum. I have a 2008 Chevy Silverado 2wd that I purchased used at 14k miles. I noticed a week after I bought it that the truck had rust on the frame members and undercarraige that was definitely not normal. Its on all of the edges of the frame members and bolts. The coating on the frame members is peeling away. How should I proceed
  • eames1eames1 Posts: 2
    It is interesting that this many people are experiencing this corrosion problem.
    I have a 2004 GMC Sierra 2500 HD. I Have had brake and the serious rusting problems on the frame and suspension. I first noticed it about 2 years ago. I thought the rusting was a bit excessive as the truck now only has 58000 miles. I sprayed paint on it then and have been watching it. . I was airing up a low front tire yesteday and I noticed serious corrosion and heavy crumbly bubbly rust on the frame and suspension arms. I have only seen rust like this on old steel that has been left to rot in a field. I also own a 1978 GMC Sierra 1500 Four Wheel Drive which I purchased new when I graduated school. This truck has been in water up to the carb several times packed with mud and everything else. I went in the garage just to look at its frame and was shocked at how nice it looked compared to my 04. Whats up with that? I have taken care of both vehicles very well but this 04 is experiencing accelerated corrosion. It almost makes me think the it is a metal composition problem or something with make up or treatment of the frame material. Any thoughts any one? I do see a lawsuit in progress Thanks eames
  • armyw4armyw4 Posts: 1
    I'll be interested to know how this goes. I just returned from deployment and me and my wife both bought new 2010 Silverado 1500 4x4s. I have 2K miles on mine now and the wife has 5K on her's. We live in central NC where we really don't see much rust. I installed step bars on our trucks last weekend and noticed hers is perfect on the under carriage. Mine is not. There is rust forming all over in different spots. My truck is two months old and there is no way it should look like this. I'm taking it to the dealer this week and see what they will do. I went through all my paperwork and realized that hers has been in NC the whole time while mine came from a dealership in Kentucky.....
  • i have 2003 chevy silverado ext cab an the rocker panels are roted away an the rear bumper an brake lines. the rockers i have notified the dealer an the body shop at the gm dealer told me the rockers rot bcos of a manufactor defect they are aware of this problem but refuse to recall the problem. this is a safety issue an i have notified the nhtsa an they said the only way for them to investagate this issue is for ppl having this problem is to file a complaint with them an the more complaints they get the more they can do about it an get the dealer to recall an fix the issue. so if ur having rust problems with ur rockers bumper an other componts we need to notify the nhtsa with a complaint. please pass this on, an get these safety issues taking care of. thanks
  • Hey EVERYONE- like all of you i also have an 06 silverado with yes, under carriage rust, it does seem excessive compared to my other vehicle which is a 2002 grand prix. The underside of my car is still like new after 8 year's were as my silverado i\m not impressed with it just a few day's after owning it.

Now i have been reading the post about this and if i'm wrong correct me but if you undercoat it voids the warrenty, WHAT WARRENTY??????? If it's only for as year what does that tell you, GM wants off the hook as quick as possible.

DO NOT USE UNDERCOATING FROM A CAN That stuff hold moisture like you cannot imagine. Even though from the surface it hides the truth which lies beneth it, and when moisture gets trapped you think you have problems now.

I have been doing some research on rust prevention and the best one that i can somehow believe in right now is by the company KROWN. I'm having my truck done this friday for 140 bucks,

This stuff repels water and can stop and in some cases slowly reverse the rusting process. My rear bumper is also rusting not to the extreme but it has started.
    I can't sit back and watch my investement rust away so i need to try something.

You can't sit by and wait for GM to fix the problem, your warrenty is void anyway if nothings gets done. Take matters into your own hands and research Krown on the net, i have talked to several customers of this product and they all swear its an amazing rust prvention system.
  • gnl5gnl5 Posts: 3
    I purchased a brand NEW 2010 Silverado last week and have noticed an unusual amount of rust all over the under carriage. I will be bringing the vehicle in to the dealer next week to see what they suggest why a brand new vehicle with less than 150 miles on it can be full of rust. I also see the truck was assembled in MEXICO.
  • Where do you live?

My 2005 is in FL beachside and rusted out within two years, but the signs were there within a few months.

GM would not do anything for me. They claimed that they are not responsible for any corrosion due to the environment (which is ALL corrosion). But your vehicle is much newer.

You need to demand a NEW vehicle. The problem you have will only get worse, and there is nothing you can do to stop it. There is something fundamentally wrong.
  • gnl5gnl5 Posts: 3
    Thanks for the information. I went to the dealer on Sunday and looked at apprx. 15 different 2010 & 2010 Silverado's and every truck had undercarriage rust on them. I'm located in southern Louisiana.
  • gm167gm167 Posts: 2
    edited December 2010
    I live in RI and own a 2000 Silverado 1500. After reading these posts on rust, I have to chime in. My truck has had EVERY brake line repleaced due to complete brake sys. failure, which caused me to have an accident in 2008. I aslo have NO rocker panels left. At the time of the accident the state took my plates and would not allow my truck on the road until all lines where replaced and the trk. was recertified for the highway. My ins. company was no help with the lines , but did repair the body damage and replace the other vech.I contacted GM (haha). Not their problem(really).But I'm curious if anyone has been contacted by an investigator wanting to look at your vech. for a "research project". I also contacted and made a report to NHTSA. I wonder how many millions of Chevy and GMC trucks are loosing their brakes and are becoming unsafe for the highways?