Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Infiniti I30/I35

Comments

• Options
    cpa4ucpa4u Member Posts: 136
    I wonder if the new redesigned '02 grille would fit on my '01 I30t?? I like the look of the new grille in the photos, but haven't seen an I35 yet in person. Has anyone seen them in person? how does the grille look? Do you think it is the same size as the '01 style?

Thanks
  • Options
    eg424eg424 Member Posts: 24
    I live in southern California and have seen the I35 in person. I don't see how the new grill would fit in a 01 I30. It is substantially different. Personally, I like the 01 grill better. The new grill's slots are not chromed and are finished in a titanium color (you can't really tell this from photos). Also, the area around the headlights is finished in a brushed metal look. I'm sure this was done to make the car look more "sporty", but i think it looks flat.

Though the front of the 02 is still nice, it doesn't have the sparkle that the 00 and 01 did. Naturally, this is a subjective observation. I will be interested in reading your post after you finally get to see the car in person.
  • Options
    Oh, it isn't chrome looking anymore?? Not sure that I would like that then. I do like the chrome look. It gives the car a classy look. I'm going to look at the '02 this weekend and see what they look like.
  • Options
    vtgtvtgt Member Posts: 30
    I am looking for a trunk cover of my '01 I30. Anyone has any info about it. Thanks
  • Options
    zeliforpzeliforp Member Posts: 44
    Interestingly enough, I did a transplant of the I35/I30 grilles last week and the I35 grille fit my 2001 I30t perfectly. I like it because it makes the car look like a mini-Q45. There are details about the install posted at http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/infinitii30 as well as the General Discussion forum at http://www.maxima.org (search for posts by a guy named "oscuro"). The install was quite easy.
  • Options
    jtiernanjtiernan Member Posts: 9
    I've been getting about 27/28 on the highway and about 23 around town. I have about 5000 miles on my '01. I noticed better mileage after the 3500 mile oil change. I'm still not happy about the mileage though. I use premium only. My interior map light went out, I've had trhe front wheels balanced and have a brake noise which will e looked at in about a week at the dealer.
  • Options
    nitpickernitpicker Member Posts: 89
    Can anybody recommend someplace where I can get sharp-looking floormats (rubber mats and plush mats) for a 2001 I30? I'd prefer mats that have the Infiniti logo on them, if mats like that even exist. Clair Parts carries nice mats for other makes, but apparently doesn't carry mats that are designed for Infinitis. Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    There is a site: www.carrugs.com, that may be able to help you. Good luck!
  • Options
    swd5swd5 Member Posts: 2
    I currently have a 2001 I30 that I have been waiting for over 45 days to get an intermittent dash problem fixed. Was told that the part was on back order and would not be in for 30 days. Has anyone out there dealt with Infiniti regarding a buy back or replacement? I love the car but do not feel that 2 months + is appropriate for a repair to take place.
  • Options
    tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    What kind of problem happened to your dash?
  • Options
    I went to the dealership over the weekend and parked my '01 beside an '02 of the same color (silver). I had really thought about changing my grille to the '02 style. But, after seeing the two side beside, I have changed my mind. I am going to keep my chrome grille. Don't get me wrong, I liked the new one, but just prefer the one on my car now. To be it gives the car a classier look. The new one looks more sporty though.

The new "sport" wheels didn't do much for me either. I prefer the 17" ones on my "t". :)
  • Options
    Why in the world did Infiniti change the area in front of the shifter? On my '01 that area looks very attractive with the wood finish and storage space. on the '02 that I looked at, it was just plain looking plastic. IMO, this area looks very cheap now. Didn't really notice much different inside otherwise. Oh yeah, did try out the heated steering wheel. Not really a necessity in my book, but still would be nice on a few cold January days.

I didn't drive the car, due to not wanting to torture myself with the new models added power. The salesman said that he really noticed a difference.

One thing is for sure, they still had about 15 or so '01's on the lot. I asked them if they had them marked "way down". His response, "why?". I didn't even argue. ;)
  • Options
    cpa4u: I couldn't agree more with your observations in your post #1463. My first impression of the area around the shifter was negative also. It does look very cheap for a car of this class. I suppose that an aftermarket wood kit will be available, at sometime, to alter that area. It certainly needs it.

As for the sport wheels......I don't think that it's the design of the wheel that is so bad but the "champagne" finish. It really is awful. It's too bad, because if you want the VDC system, like I do, you must get the sport package and those wheels. As I stated in a previous post, the wheels do look better chromed but it is an expensive option. The 01 Touring wheels are a much better fit with the design of the car.

Well they say change is good, but not all change is better!!
  • Options
    It never plese me on the sport wheel in the 02 model.

eg424-you are right. The champagne finish is just not right for that wheel. The chrome wheel looks very nice but at $1400. It is a rip off, even if you can get it at $840. It is also too expensive.

cpa4u-It seems Infiniti did cut some corner on the I35. There is less wood trim in th I35 now.
  • Options
    Yes, I think you all are right about the color of the wheels. I didn't like it at all. I didn't get to see a set of the chromed ones, but at that price I wouldn't want to!! LOL

Why in the world would they cut corners on the interior and make it look so cheap? I just don't get that for a car in this market price range.
  • Options
    swd5swd5 Member Posts: 2
    The dashboard and gages in my car will die on an intermittent basis while I am driving. The problem has occurred about 20 times over the last 2 months.
  • Options
    dmathew347dmathew347 Member Posts: 80
    Is it just me or do I30's seem to have unusually high resale value. My friend bought a brand new 01 I30 for $26.5 before tax, title etc...
    I was looking for a used '00/'01 I30. The lowest i could get the dealers to go was $23.2K (before tax, title etc.), and i negotiated like hell!
    Why is there such discrepency between I30's low depreciation and Maxima's relatively high depreciation. They're both pretty much the same vehicle. And its not like you see I30's all over the road like Maxima's, BMW's and Lexus.
    Based on the resale value, i'm really surprised and not too pleased to see Infiniti resale value up there in Lexus & Mercedes territory.
    Can anyone explain this !!
  • Options
    invest100invest100 Member Posts: 6
    I have a 1997 I30t with 75k miles that has up until recently been flawless. But recently my dashboard and gages have died on occasion also ( re:post 1467) I have not had the time to check it out with the dealership. Anybody else with the problem?
  • Options
    luvtospeedluvtospeed Member Posts: 8
    Hi Guys,

I just landed a terrific deal on a new 2001 I30 with Heated Seats and Traction Control packages for $26,375.

I will be picking the car up on Tuesday and I'd like to know if there is any place online to shop for Infiniti after market products.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    amarmistryamarmistry Member Posts: 15
    Hi all
    After a strenous research for a good used car(mainly Japan, esp. Camry), I finally bought a 1996 I30 with 76400 miles on it for 10775. It seemed a fairly reasonable price according to kbb.com(3rd party resale value) and edmund's TMV. I am only a one day old owner of it, drove around 50 miles and no reason to regret it so far. I would really like to know what is there to know about this particular model and year of manufacture. As you know I am a very very new owner of this car so please let me know anything you feel like telling me. Any feedback, suggestions or comments would be welcome.

Thank you....
    (My other car is a 2k Odyssey)
  • Options
    wheels4mewheels4me Member Posts: 36
    does anyone know what all the talk is about
    the fuel line protector. what yrs were effected
    by this defect?
  • Options
    I30 2001 model doesn't have fuel line protector.
  • Options
    I think I30 2001 has in-cabin micro filter. Does anyone know where it locates and how long should I replace it?
  • Options
    do the other yr 1998,`1999,2000,2002 have the
    fuel line protecter. doesn't the 2001 need it?
    THANKS!
  • Options
    The 2000 model is a new design from the previous model and it had the fuel line protector. However, Infiniti decided to skip the protector in the 2001 model. Some of the users were having difficulity to ask the dealer to install it. I had my sales took care of it.

Infiniti said you don't need it. But after I looked at it, I wondered why. It is because the fuel line is exposed to all the road debris and if you had an accident (knock on wood) and the fuel line got hit. I don't know what will happened. All these things come to the spot light is because the 01 Maxima owner started to complain about it and apparently it happened in the 01 Max as well.
  • Options
    WOULD THIS MODEL CAR (EVEN WITH THE DEALER FUEL
    PROTECTOR) BE MORE DANGEROUS IN AN ACCIDENT THEN
    ANOTHER CAR. tHANKS
  • Options
    zeliforpzeliforp Member Posts: 44
    I have seen this topic come up every few months or so, and in my opinion I would rather not try to "outthink" a Nissan Engineer. Hopefully he/she knows more about Nissan cars and what they need (and don't need) than I do. For a part of such trivial cost (~$3 for Nissan to add while the car is going down the assembly line), I am fairly convinced it was not cut for cost-related reasons if there were any safety implications at all.

If 0 people have been hurt/maimed/killed/slightly-affected as a result of this car's designers leaving this piece off since the current generation of I's started rolling out of the factories in 1999, I'll need to see more data before worrying about this. Just my $.02
  • Options
    I'm not sure of the safety issues related to the omission of this part, but I do have one big problem with it being left off. My biggest complaint was the allowance of road dirt to accumulate in the fuel filler door area. I'm sure that Nissan thought long and hard about the "short term" cost saving effects before omitting this part on the 2001 models, however, I'm not so sure that they thought about the "long-term" effects either. I mean, my degree isn't in egineering, but it stands to reason that after 5 plus years of driving that the rocks, road debris, and other unforeseen items hitting the exposed fuel line will cause some sort of damage. Again, I could be wrong. But for $20 + or -, I added it to my car. If for no other reason, to keep the dirt from out of the fuel door area.
  • Options
    dianalodianalo Member Posts: 12
    I bought a 96 I30t five months ago, paid 13k, car had 46k miles. I think you got a decent deal. I had to put 2k worth of repairs into it (a/c, some body work, brakes, etc.). The check-engine light came on a month ago, went out after 2 weeks, dealer said not to worry about it. Other than that, flawless. I always put premium gas in, and though I'm not convinced it's necessary, I figure it's a small extra expense.

I drove a 2000 I30 loaner from the dealer this past weekend, and to be honest, like my '96 better!

Also, is it my imagination, or do other drivers treat you with a tad more respect when you drive a nicer car?!

Enjoy your car!
  • Options
    teebabyteebaby Member Posts: 1
    Hi everyone...I own a 93 G20 that gave out on me today!! The motor is gone. The previous owner didn't maintain the vechnical I don't think...but I decided to go ahead and buy a new car. I really wanted a new I35 but I wasn't planning on having a buy a new car today...so I ended up with a '98 I30t ....and I paid $20000 ...It only had 29700 miles on it which was great...the car is spotless...not a dent, hairline scrath or anything on it...heated seats and everything...I think I got a pretty good deal... anyone have any other prices on used I30's. I checked out kbb and edmunds and the price i paid it a little less then the suggested price.

Thanks
  • Options
    Congratulation and welcome to the club.
  • Options
    gdoublegdouble Member Posts: 18
    Does anyone know of recalls or problems with the volume button on the 98 I30t? My wife just purchased one with 39000 miles on it, and we got it home, only to find that the volume button is just plain messed up. Sometimes, you turn to the left and the volume goes up, sometimes waaay up, and stays blaring, even if you furiously turn to the left OR right to try and turn it down. I don't know how bad/big of a problem that this is, or if it's easy to fix. Also, it has a button on the system for a cd changer, but I'm having difficulty figuring out how to work it. FYI, we bought the car from a dealer auction for $16,000, and it did not come with a manual. We need to get one from the dealer soon though. Your feedback is appreciated.
  • Options
    havochavoc Member Posts: 27
    I bought my I-30t back in April. Even with premium gas, I am experiencing very poor mileage. While it's true that I do almost exclusively short-stop city driving, my mileage is only averaging 16-17 MPG ever since I got the car. It has 5500 miles on it and I would think the engine should have broken in by now. Other drivers have posted the 22-23 MPG range for city driving so I'm pretty concerned about this. I don't drive overly aggressively and I switched to synthetic motor oil for the first oil change. There's no check engine light but I'm going to take it to the dealer. Anyone have ideas or anyone else experience a similar mileage problem? I'm concerned that if I take it to the dealer he'll check it out and say nothing is wrong with it! There's only one Infiniti dealer here in Austin so I have little faith in their service.
  • Options
    psrinivpsriniv Member Posts: 41
    Hi

I read about your deal on the I30t from Infiniti of Charlotte. COuld you let me know how much they charged you for the processing fee. I am making a deal with them on an I35 for $28600. Just want to be cautious. WOuld appreciate an early response so that i can go ahed.
    thanks
  • Options
    mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Take it in and have them check it out. In Austin, stop & go driving is a lot like it is in Denver. We average ~20-21 in stop and go driving.

It won't cost you anything but a little time (they should give you a loaner while they look at it). YOu don't know until you give them a chance. Maybe they'll surprise you.
  • Options
    havochavoc Member Posts: 27
    I'd be very happy with 20-21 mpg in the city. But for a high-compression 3.0L engine to have this low of mileage bothers me. I'll set an appointment with these guys and see what happens.
  • Options
    sergeymsergeym Member Posts: 283
    If the car is still under warranty take it to a dealer.
  • Options
    dreantedreante Member Posts: 7
    1996 I30t. 79,000 miles. $10,500. Private seller. I've had it for four days now and it's awesome! Similar to my '99 Maxima SE (which I gave to my mom), but a little different since this I30t comes with stick.
    I just called the local Infiniti dealer for an oil change. $37.00?!?! No, thanks. I made an appt with my local Nissan dealer. $21.75. Service tech said that he is very comfortable servicing the I30 as it is comparable to the Maxima, but that he would think twice about a Q45. I'm also getting a diagnostic for $75 to make sure everything's running smoothly. I was worried about having to change the timing belt, but the guy tells me that it's a chain and will last much longer. Cool!
    One question, if anyone can help: The clutch feels VERY different from other cars that I've driven (Integra, RSX, Protege, Tercel)- it's stiffer and disengages much more slowly. The best way to describe it is when I take my foot off the clutch, it comes up more slowly, almost as if it was mechanized or something (hard for me to describe). Is this normal? The previous owner put in a new clutch at about 70,000 miles.
    Otherwise, great car. Very smooth and powerful. I can really feel the torque.
  • Options
    What???? $37???? My dealer only charged $22.
  • Options
    I call my dealer the other day about 7500 mile oil change and tire rotation. Guess how much they wanted? $75!! I said no way. Going to get it done for $45 at Nissan. It amazes me how much "extra" it is for Infiniti service.
  • Options
    ginstomginstom Member Posts: 2
    Hello all - I've been keeping up with the messages on this site for some time now and thought it was time to join in. I took delivery of one of the 1st 2001 I30L's in August of 2000 and now have 22,000 miles (Titanium/Black). At this point in time I feel somewhat "experienced" as compared to many of the others on the board and will be happy to share those experiences from time to time. Zero problems with the car so far. I use the recommended octane and have gotten 24.5 mpg over the life to-date. This car is a performer when pushed and push it I do. It likes to perform. It seems the more miles I rack up the better it gets. The one change I made was replacing the original Goodyear RSA's with Dunlop SP Sport A2's. The result was improved handling with no sacrifice in comfort. My favorite features (in addition to the great powertrain and the seemingly unlimited speed at which I can take empty exit ramps) are the interior design, the heated seats, the 200W BOSE system, the steering wheel audio controls and the power sun shade (which is something I originally thought was a novelty but now wonder how I've lived without). I've had none of the problems that have occasionally surfaced in the posts (i.e. wind noise, brake shudder, hesitation). I've had the opportunity to test triple digit speeds. The car seems to yawn, never working hard and feeling like there is a ton more left where that came from. In my opinion, this car is the best buy for the money in terms of looks, luxury, size, appointments and performance.
  • Options
    Man, that expensive. I usually had the dealer just do my oil change. And had Winston Tire shop do the tire rotation for $10.
  • Options
    jjaggersjjaggers Member Posts: 9
    I have been thinking about same tires. Could you tell me where you bought them and are they the same size as your original tires?

Thanks,

Jim
  • Options
    ginstomginstom Member Posts: 2
    They are available in a 27 size range including the P215/55/16 size which is the original equipment size on the 2001 I30L. Now that Goodyear has purchased majority control of Dunlop, you can find these tires at any Goodyear outlet. You will find that they perform like Z-rated tires in terms of grip and stability, both in the wet and dry, but with no sacrifice whatsoever in comfort. Also, both the sidewall and tread design are eye catching.
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    So does Nissan/Infiniti include this on the 2002 I35/Maxima?
  • Options
    i30g20i30g20 Member Posts: 24
    I have a 99 I30 now with 69k miles. I have always (except while testing higher octanes) used 87 octane gas (I'm cheap). Mileage generally runs 24-25 and on a recent trip to SC (from VA) averaging 69 mph I got 28.2 average. During my test of the higher octane, I noticed I had more power, which I used and slightly LOWER mileage. Also, never had any problems with car except it's a dent magnet!. And at 60k major checkup time dealer quoted me just shy of $1000 for that service. I went to Nissan dealer and got most of that same service for under $350 plus a free loaner for the day. At 60k dealer stopped giving me free loaners so I stopped going to the Infiniti dealer for my usual services. I've got too many vechicles right now, so I'm looking to sell the I30, but not too hard, because it really is a sweet riding vechicle. Oh, almost forgot, price paid in last day of Feb 1999 late on rainy Saturday: @$25,500 out the door and that included the trunk mount cd changer I had them add at cost. And also, got what I wanted on my 1994 G20 with 84k miles in trade. I miss that G20. It was a little small for my family, but that was a really fun car to drive.
  • Options
    acscuderiacscuderi Member Posts: 3
    I know this is an old discussion, but I am hoping that someone can help me. I tried to get the slow shifting from 1st to 2nd fixed last year on my 2000 I30 and my dealer told me to take a hike. I would now like to discuss this with Infiniti Corporate. It would help me a great deal if I could find the TSB for this problem. Not just the number, but the entire TSB. I think I saw a link to it on this site before, but I am not sure. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    Make: INFINITI Model: I30 Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: ITB00028
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 134
    Date of Bulletin: 05/00

NHTSA Item Number: SB613445
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC:OTHER PARTS

Summary:
    SOME VEHICLES MAY EXHIBIT SLOW OR DELAYED SHIFTING FROM FIRST TO SECOND GEAR (PARTICULARLY AT ONE-HALF OR GREATER THROTTLE APPLICATION). *TT

Make: INFINITI Model: I30 Year: 2000

Service Bulletin Number: ITB00028A
    Bulletin Sequence Number: 159
    Date of Bulletin: 12/00

NHTSA Item Number: SB615939
    Component: POWER TRAIN:TRANSMISSION:AUTOMATIC
    Summary:
    VEHICLES BUILT BEFORE JNKCA31A1T015622 MAY EXHIBIT SLOW OR DELAYED SHIFTING FROM FIRST TO SECOND GEAR OR FROM SECOND TO THIRD GEAR (PARTICULARLY AT ONE-HALF THROTTLE OR GREATER APPLICATION). *TT
  • Options
    acscuderiacscuderi Member Posts: 3
    TGIF888, thank you very much, I appreciate your help. I was hoping that someone actually had a copy of that TCB, which provides the recommended fix for this problem. It also describes what parts need to be replaced etc. I saw this at some point I think, on this site.
  • Options
    psrinivpsriniv Member Posts: 41
    Hi,

Does anyone have any knowledge about the $2000 customer cash for the 2001 I30s.