Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Acura RL

Comments

• nebraskaguynebraskaguy Posts: 341
    >>Can someone please tell me when the 05 RL was first made available, and if they think most of the early problems have been fixed?

The 05 RL was first available October 14, 2004. I was the first one out of my dealership with one. I've read of a few problems on this board, but I've had zero problems. It's a fantastic car.
  • acurafan4acurafan4 Posts: 6
    nebraskaguy-

Thanks for the information. Really appreciate it.
    I've test driven the RL, M35 and was also lucky enough to drive the new 06 3 Series 330 yesterday.
    I didn't care for the exterior, interior, and drive of the M35.
    I know the 330 is not in the same category as the RL, but it is a car I am considering. Its feels light and fast but its exterior and interior is nothing like the RL. In fact even though I was told the seats were leather, I'm still not sure if they really were.

I'm seriously leaning toward the RL. Thanks again.
  • washdcguywashdcguy Posts: 17
    I've had my 2005 RL since October 15th of last year. I've had not one single problem with anything. Most reliable car I've ever had (especially after my problem-plagued Mercedes E Class).
  • billinsobebillinsobe Posts: 47
    I currently have a 2003 Audi A4 and while it's really fun to drive I am concidering trading it on a 2005 / 2006 Acura RL. My Audi is the greatest car I've ever had, but it really doesn't compare to the RL (they aren't in the same class anyway so I wouldn't expect it to compete).

The RL has a wonderful interior, great features and drives like a dream. It's worth taking a test drive.
  • ferrelliferrelli Posts: 6
    The 2005 RL gas tank is listed in the owner's manual as holding 19.4 U.S. gallons of fuel. Yet after filling the tank more times than I care to think about with current gas prices, the most I've ever been able to get in the tank is 16.2 gallons. That fill-up was with the gas gauge reading below the E and the emergency "you have X miles left to drive!!" light showing me with 2 miles left before the engine dies.

So what gives? I cannot imagine the fuel system stores 3.2 gallons of gas between the injectors and the tank. Is this fuel left in reserve? A typo in all of Acura's official docs?

I'm curious on one hand, but also planning a long cross-country drive and those missing 3.2 gallons of fuel add up to nearly 75 miles of highway driving between stops for me.

Cheers,
    ian
  • jjacurajjacura Posts: 808
    (Interesting) I stick all my receibts in the center console and the largest fill to date was 16.47 gallons back when I had 1,500 miles on the car. I can remember being close to the 5 mile mark on the computer at one time and that was probably this fill-up. Checked the specs in the book and you are so right (19.4 gallons). This one is worth checking out. I plan a couple of long trips this year and it would be good to know maximum cruising range on a tank.
  • steven9179steven9179 Posts: 36
    I've owned my RL since december. I've had zero problems with this beautiful machine-- a pleasure to drive, own and receive compliments about. So, go for it, you won't be disappointed.

Steve
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,747
    I have a Honda CR-V with a 15.3 gallon tank, that I have never been able to get more than 12.6 gallons in...

What I'm curious about.. Does it still have 2.5 gallons in it, when I think it is on dead empty? Or, does the tank not allow you to completely fill it up?

Something tells me I'll never know, unless I run out of fuel.

regards,
    kyfdx

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• dennis721dennis721 Posts: 62
    I am not sure mind you, but I would bet that empty on the trip computer and gas gauge does not include the reserve. I have no idea why they do it this way, but I cant believe the RL would actually have a smaller tank the the 2004-5 TL which is supposed to have a 17.0 gal capacity and a higher MPG rating.
    I have not noticed in my 05 RL yet because I dont let it get lower than 1/2 tank usually, but I have noticed that the miles to empty on the trip computer always seems a little low.

Also in passing, I love my car, not one problem. I have only had it one month, but I must say I like it so much better than my 2004 TL, soomther ride, quiter and more luxurious.

dennis ;)
    Dennis, You may be right. I was referring to the RANGE which calculates the estimated distance you can travel on the remaining fuel in the tank. (On your Multi- Info Display) Maybe it PADS that somewhat to provide a safeguard. (But 3 gallons?) By the way just as a warning...you never want to run out of gas because it can cause misfiring at the end, that could damage the catalytic converter.

Just a comment in passing as well, it has been a terrific car for us since November and I have not had any problems at all. I know one guy that misses his very much because he's been banged up after a fall and I want to contiue to say "HELLO, BEST WISHES ON YOUR SPEEDY RECOVERY" to our buddy AcuraPhile. I know you are reading this. Get well soon. JJ
  • cstilescstiles Posts: 465
    Chalk this one up to a combination of "Driver Stupidity" and "Lawyers Rule."

(Or how about, "Yikes, there's a severed finger in my chili!!!")

Most carmakers will now intentionally design a 2 to 3 gallon reserve beyond the yellow light or gas gauge on "E", to idiot-proof their cars and virtually eliminate the odds of someone getting stranded on the side of the road for lack of fuel.

In our litigious and "blame someone else" society, when drivers run out of fuel, a small percentage will undoubtedly shift the blame on the carmaker, alleging that the gas gauge was defective. Some will try to twist their own stupidity into an opportunity to gouge the carmaker to compensate them for the mishap.

Acura (and other brands) include 24-hour "free" roadside assistance, OnStar, etc., so one way to minimize your potential costs under such programs is to eliminate the most common reason for a car getting stranded---running out of fuel. This allows Acura to actuarially lower the cost of such consierge services to a measurable minimum.
  • pvspvs Posts: 9
    You are correct- those were my first posts. I have been browsing Edmunds for a while but never had a need to post so I had no account.
    Don't like to write hypothetically not owning a car, however, I have noticed that many do.

Still enjoy my new RL. The best part is driving down hill on curve wet roads which I have plenty of in my town
    >>Most carmakers will now intentionally design a 2 to 3 gallon reserve beyond the yellow light or gas gauge on "E", to idiot-proof their cars and virtually eliminate the odds of someone getting stranded on the side of the road for lack of fuel.

I'm not sure where, but I'm pretty sure I read in the manual that you can drive approximately 50 miles after the computer says you're empty and have 0 miles to drive. I wasn't paying much attention one day and made it down to a range of 5 miles and it only held 16 gallons. So, I pretty much assume I can take it down to 0 miles (though I rarely do) and still have a safe reserve - unless I'm driving where there's a long distance between gas stations.
    NebraskaGuy....I've driven through your state and it's easy to get out there on those flats a long way from any sign of life many many miles from any gas station. Actually we'll be driving across Nebraska in the RL this summer to visit my sister in Denver. Omaha is the 1/2 way point (About 500 miles)

Just a little aside....We gave your University Jerry Tagge, who years ago led Nebraska to a championship. He returned to his home town in Green Bay and tried his hand for the Packers. He had a tough time in the Pros as do most QB's coming out of college. One former Nebraska running back Ahman Green on the other hand is having a great run in Green Bay.
    >>Still enjoy my new RL. The best part is driving down hill on curve wet roads which I have plenty of in my town

Yes, curves are great! I have a curve I drive frequently. The posted caution speed is 45. I take it at 60 and I'm pretty sure I could take it at 70, but due to a merge lane on the other side of the curve, haven't had the nerve to go that fast.
    >>NebraskaGuy....I've driven through your state and it's easy to get out there on those flats a long way from any sign of life many many miles from any gas station.

That's true. The interstate is fine, of course, but in western central Nebraska where I'm originally from (north of North Platte), the gas stations get few and far between - 35-50 miles, easily. You wouldn't have to wait too long for a kind Nebraskan to offer help, but I still wouldn't want to run out of gas in some of those areas.
    Glad you are back in the forum ...for a brief moment I thought your initial post was almost a put on because of the hugh discount and color description ..you mentioned platinum silver. The host brought me back to my senses. Enjoy the RL especially going through those curves. The car almost invites you to minipulate challenging roads doen't it. :)

By the way I bought the Motorola V551 Bluetooth Cell Phone today and will pair it up with the RL in the morning. Been reading good things about the phone for months. Nice phone...took a picture with it and e-mailed it down to our out of state daughter's e-mail address while we were riding. She received it OK and was amazed at the clarity.
    JJAcura,
    Do you get all the phone redaings on the car's display? I am going to Cingular to check the phone on Sat.

I am enjoying the car. Almost try to find an opportunity to drive.
    After using the first tank can report an average of 18 mpg mixed and somewhat aggressive driving which is what I expected based on other posts.
    The car is just a bit slow taking off but I seem to be able to fix it shifting on my own, keeping the car in the second for a few seconds. After that, I think, it is near perfect. I say "near" because I feel some bouncing on a concrete highway. It is not nearly as bad as others described but it is there. Perhaps I will need to invest in better tires
    Interestingly, there are already 4 new RLs on our corporate parking lot. I guess Acura is selling them..
  • jdhjdh Posts: 19
    PVS

I have had the motorola V551 thru cingular for about 2 months now. I do not get the battery level reading on the cars display. Other than that everything seems to work well with my RL. The only other problem I have experienced is when I paired the phone to the car it would not contact acuralink. The dealership has not been able to get it do do it either. They think it could be the phone is not capable of this function.

Hope you enjoy your car as much as I am enjoying mine.

I live in Connecticut and took a trip to Newark, NJ last week. The car got 24.5 mpg on the highway.

On the highway coming home I missed a turn for route 95 because I was busy paying the toll and not watching the navigation system and ended going thru the holland tunnel and ended in lower New York city. Without the navigation system I would have been terribly lost, but buy following it I was able to get back on the road with no problems at all. I will never buy a car without navigation again.

Jack
  • bodble2bodble2 Posts: 4,519
    Well, you woke me up with that one! There's a name football fans here in BC are familiar with! He created a bit of a stir here with the BC Lions of the Canadian Football League for a couple of seasons back in the 80s' (I think). The team was dubbed the Cardiac Kids with Tagge at the helm due to a serious of last-minute comebacks that he engineered. But eventually the magic wore out and the fans got disenchanted. His problem, I think, was that he didn't have a cannon for an arm. He would lob the ball and depended on timing and receivers running precise routes rather than gun it in to beat coverage. He was eventually replaced by his understudy, a rifle-armed fan-favourite, aptly named Joe Paopao (pronounced pow-pow), who quickly earned the nickname "Throwin Samoan".

Sorry for being off-topic, but I thought I would interject a bit of local football history. :D
    Bodble2....That's right he left Green Bay and eventually played in the Canadian League...thanks for the reminder. About that time I was driving my first Honda Accord (An '84) since then I never left Honda cars. :-)
  • jmatthejmatthe Posts: 51
    George sorry for the delay. haven't been on the website in awhile...
    In case you haven't figured it out yet...xmradio.com...click "listen now" at the top...set up an account with your radio id and you are good to go! How is the healing coming?
  • palaltpalalt Posts: 25
    Most comments I'm reading relate to the new 2005 RL. I have a question of those who might have experience with a 2003 RL. I've been looking for a 2nd car to add to the family. I found a beautiful 2003 RL that already has 67k on it. This appears to be a wonderful car, spotless inside and out and obviously cared for. I feel the car is incredibly cheap at only $17000 but I'm wondering what I should be aware of as to potential problems that might develop on this high mileage vehicle. While actually looking for a late model Bonneville SSEI, this RL has really impressed me. I guess I'm looking for a vote of confidence that a high mileage RL is a better choice over a low mileage 2003 SSEI for basically the same money. I appreciate the opportunity to obtain current owner insight via this website.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 28,747
    At 67K miles, that RL is just getting broken in... Start looking for problems around 150K if you are unlucky.... maybe 180K, otherwise...

Seriously, that would be a much better choice than a 20K-30K Bonneville... even at the same money...

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

• acuraphileacuraphile Posts: 131
    jmatthe:

Thanks, I'm coming along slowly. I graduated from a walker to a cane. Not as friendly as those four legs, but more indicative of my progress.

I haven't been on the website for a while, either. Thanks for the XM instructions. I'll get right on it.

Many thanks for your interest.

Regards,

George
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Glad to hear you are progressing, George. Hang in there and keep us posted.
    Speaking of the phones.
    I have decided to give Verizon a chance before switching to Cingular. I got the Motorola 710 and paired it with the car. No issues at all. And it works well.
    BTW it does show the battery level on car's display
    I think I'll keep it
    That is good news. The Verizon Motorola 710 owners in past months were having problems with it's bluetooth function with the RL. Our friend Acuraphile was having problems with his and I don't believe he ever mentioned getting it resolved. Anyway good luck, you may have an updated 710. Also Verizon's service is reputed to be great.
  • bdkinnhbdkinnh Posts: 292
    Does anyone have the owners manual in a PDF file? If so - how did you get it?
    Yes, I got the latest software patch installed on the phone. I checked on that by comparing the software version on the phone with the Verizon's web site.
    Works great in terms of the sound quality and RL shows signal strength, battery capacity and the phone number