Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

BMW 3-Series 2005 and earlier

Comments

• nobeenobee Posts: 194
    my position. I believe the poster asked about the last 1/4" "push" on the accelerator (too lazy to scroll up..). It has a "notchy" feel where you can press the bimmer into over-drive and the tranny will push the rpm's into redline. This is what happens in the Steptronic version and I can't say if there's a "notchy" feel in the 5-speed version. I believe there's a paragraph or so on it in the owner's manual. Sorry about the confusion.
    -nobee
  • I am scheduled to pick up a 330i in Munich on Thursday, 3/21. I have the paperwork from "BMW EORUPEAN DELIVERY DEPARTMENT" confirming the 3/21 pick up date. Here's the snag. I paid the car off on 22 Feb 02. The dealership has not yet cashed the check and that sounds unusual to me. I've already sent an e-mail to the sales person. Should I be worried? Thanks, TC
  • allanoallano Posts: 175
    The BMW CD player will extract normal music (wave ~= *.cdr format) burned on a CD-R blank but does not have a built-in mp3 decoder so it cannot play a CD of mp3s directly. However, I understand from a series of posts before Christmas, that you can add a device which takes the place of the 6 CD changer in the trunk, which will play mp3s under control of the AM/FM/CD head in the dash.
    One of the questions you'll need to ask about this device is how you choose a song or playlist using the in-dash head. One major disappointment I have with our DVD player (which can play mp3s) is that I cannot choose either playlist or song -- the player starts with the first song on the CD and ends with the last.
  • eugeug Posts: 46
    Noticed the questions about the sticky gas petal, and I thought I'd chime in. I am on BMWNA's update list for this problem. All prior solutions have failed. At the end of this month, some BMW engineers are delivering a new petal to be tested. If everything goes well, the new petals should be available in May.
  • derprofiderprofi Posts: 249
    The PhatNoise (www.phatnoise.com) is hard drive based, trunk mountable and compatible with the BMW factory head unit. For navigation, it uses the 6 changer buttons and a text-to-speech engine that reads album, artist, genre and playlist names out loud.

Kenwood licensed the technology and renamed it MusicKeg, so hopefully there will be wider availability and a nice price drop in the next 6-12 months. In the meantime, I have no idea where you can buy one of these...
  • nobeenobee Posts: 194
    I love the idea of having a portable 20-30GB hard drive that I can load and reload with all my favorite music and have it easily intergrated with the stock head-unit! It's too costly right now and hopefully it'll drop down in price and they'll use USB 2.0 for the downloads which will give me a better download rate than firewire.

derprofi, I found the MusicKeg in a Crutchfield catalog!
    -nobee
  • mschukarmschukar Posts: 351
    You're right, the current USB system would take hours to transfer any significant amount of music, but USB 2.0 is only marginally faster (if at all) than Firewire and, to my knowledge, not widely available on new PC's.

I'm still checking into adapting the CD changer input on the head unit to accept RCA inputs. Crutchfield has a P-bus adapter that may work. This would allow me to plug in my iPod giving me 50 hours (5 gig) of music that I could take between cars, jogging, etc.

BTW, I can load the entire 5 gig in about 10 minutes through Firewire.

-Murray
  • john01john01 Posts: 246
    I am not sure if you have seen it, but if you don't use your tape deck (if you have it) and don't mind not using it at all, you can connect iPod to the system. There is a pretty good instruction on bmwtips.com
  • dave330idave330i Posts: 893
    No idea what you're talking about. I've been posting on this board for almost a year now.
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    Just got back from dropping my car off for it's Inspection I.

They had to pry me away from the Topaz(?) Blue Z8. Beautiful curves!

There was also a nice blue Z3 that I could see myself in ;) I guess I'd have to compare it to the 325Ci and the coupe next summer (2003).

I HATE the rear end of the new 7. It's like some monstrous Victorian bustle/train contraption - really hideous.

On a side note: I was talking to a guy that dropped off his 528 because the speakers were hissing. I seem to remember hearing about this a couple of months ago...anyone care to spare me the agony of searching several thousand posts? Was there a TSB, or a posted fix?

Thanks.
  • 1pierce1pierce Posts: 284
    Thanks for the response. It seems you're saying that you bought the 5-series for the most basic, personal, and socially liberated of reasons: because you wanted it, and because you could afford it (that relative affluence thing). You also had a very practical, and financially sound reason for not going all the way up to the 540.

That sentiment is very refreshing to me, seeing as we live in a world where some people tell us we only need, or should only spend, money we can socially justify, and that we should give the rest away to "save the world".

Congrats...I respect the content of your posts, and I hope you love your car.
  • postoakpostoak Posts: 537
    Hear! Hear!

On another subject, I just want to say what a nice guy nobee is. He just sent me 1 of those Esso highway maps that he uses to navigate around Germany.
  • shiposhipo Posts: 9,152
    Awe shucks, I think I am blushing. ;-)

FWIW, I had to battle with my own logical side regarding the 530i:

“Should I keep my perfectly good 1999 328i with only 37,000 miles on it, or upgrade to a 2002?” Fortunately, my leasing company made that one real easy to justify, they wanted just over $120 PER MONTH more to extend my lease 13 months! Not going to happen.

“Should I move to the 330i and enjoy the extra juice in basically the same car that I currently have?” Hmmm, good question, however, I want a 530i.

“Given that my wife now has a practical family vehicle (Dodge Caravan), maybe I should have some fun and get a loaded Chili Red Mini Cooper S for $24,650 and save some money.” Hmmm, good idea, but I WANT a 530i.

“Ok, ok, get the 5er, but, what about the 540i 6-Speed?” Tempting, VERY tempting, however, do I REALLY want to pay another $8,300 (this really is apples to apples, with the exception of the V8, 6-Speed and wheels/tires, my 530i is configured identically to the 540i 6-Speed) for power beyond what I already find totally acceptable?” Nope.

I guess the 530i wins.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    The most boring cars are also the ones stolen most often. Good thing car thieves like boring cars :o)

http://www.cnn.com/2002/US/03/17/stolen.vehicles.ap/index.html

• brave1heartbrave1heart Posts: 2,698
    The registration for the May 2 driving school at NHIS opened today and the seats are filling up fast. Here's the link for those interested in signing up -

https://www.boston-bmwcca.org/forms/registration.asp

• mjones6mjones6 Posts: 9
    Earlier someone asked about Dallas BMW dealers. I am still looking.
    so far I haven't closed. At least on the 330cic they claim they are
    mostly getting MSRP. Seemed willing to talk a little, but aren't
    meeting my desired price. Autobaun in FW allows you to request
    pricing over the internet and will give a discount. If you find
    someone good let me know.
  • genie1genie1 Posts: 398
    Did anyone else get unsubscribed from the 3-series board this afternoon?

I just picked up my car from Inspection I. The car now has synthetic oil and a new oil filter. I also had them do the brake flush and coolant flush. Damage: $615 of which a whopping $80 is taxes. :(

Does a hundred bucks each for the brake and coolant jobs sound right? Most of the cost was labor for the inspection I, and this dealer prices out comparatively with others in the area.
  • dl7265dl7265 Posts: 1,381
    not only boring cars, but ones with expensive parts, did u know a Hood for a 3er goes for less than $400.00 ?

btw,ordered me a new German machine and i will take delivery Thursday! its got advanced fuzzy logic, stainless steel interior and LC display with real time finish and real time delay lol, and its assembled in Berlin Germany.

wala: its the New 2002 Bosch Laundry Machines hehe

DL
  • erickplerickpl Posts: 2,735
    HEY! I have one of those boring cars! :) I have the Civic Si. My daughter wants it now that I have the 325xi, but we'll see about that. I dunno about a 16 yr old driving an Si. It has some get up and go. :) You can see it at http://users.tminet.com/erickson/newcar.html (though its not a new car any more). I'm hoping to get some pics of my OxfordGreen / Natural Brown 325xi up pretty soon, but I just haven't had nice enough weather yet to wash and clean it. :)

We had about 6" of sleet and snow last night and the roads were SOLID ice. I wanted to try out the xi's awd performance, but I just didn't feel comfortable with it yet. Our Jeep barely made it out of our steep driveway in 4 Lo cuz the driveway is steep and it was a smooth sheet of ice.

I'll report back on snow/ice performance soon I hope. :)

-Paul

• patpat Posts: 10,421
    genie1, we have something weird going on around here where sometimes people are just spontaneously unsubcribed from a discussion. Web Crossing has not been able to track down the problem.

Sorry that happened to you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board