Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Intrigue

Comments

• dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    Of all the Intrigue problems I have heard, the engine is not one of them. It's a very good motor and it's a shame GM could not continue with it. I feel lucky to have one and enjoy it every time I drive.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    I use Lexol for leather. They make a cleaner and a conditioner. It's a great combination. I use the cleaner about twice a year, and anytime something may have dirtied the leather. I use the conditioner right after the cleaner, and probably about twice a year by itself (so about 4 times a year). It really makes the leather feel good. I've found they work better than the cleaner/conditioner in one products. They don't tend to clean very well. The Lexol combo has really fixed up some dirty, neglected leather in some other cars too (although once the leather cracks, nothing will fix that). Plus, you can find it at local stores.
  • redline65redline65 Member Posts: 693
    I've got almost 50K miles on my 3.5L, no problems yet. Oil consumption is minimal.
  • limadeltalimadelta Member Posts: 49
    It's been awhile since I've posted here, but I thought $.02 worth of comment would give this group its money's worth.

I traded in my '98 Intrigue for my '02 just because of the 3.5 engine. After 2 years and 74,000 miles I can say that this is a VERY strong motor and that it runs like a jewel. Mileage averages between 27-29 on the highway and I saw 31 mpg on the way back from Lake Tahoe this year.

Speeds average between 70-85 and I like the fact that this thing takes 6 quarts of oil. A deep sump with a DOHC engine should let me see 200K before I think about another car. It is too bad that the General wants to kill this engine. I saw in article in the LA Times last week that said GM plans to go OHV in their engines now. Too bad because the 3.5 could have been built into a real 'go fast' engine. Ah, well...things that could have been.
  • gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    I took my vehicle to be serviced for a passenger side water leak that occurs on rainy days.
    The problem was the heater housing needed to be resealed. They conducted a water test and after the test the carpet was damp. However, the technician at the dealer had the car running for 3 hours to dry up the carpet according to the service invoice. I just can't believe they would do such a thing. Won't this damage the engine? They could have used a hair dryer.
  • jg28jg28 Member Posts: 257
    I put a K&N filter in my Maxima recently and it has changed the sound of the engine to a more throaty growl that really reminds me of the Intrigue. They're both 3.5 but the Max hasn't ever really sounded like the Intrigue until I put that in. By the way, I still have the model of the Intrigue that I keep on my desk. I dunno though. I should probably put it away cause it always makes me sentimental for my Intrigue. Tires are going to be outrageously expensive for these 17 inch frames.
  • oldsman01oldsman01 Member Posts: 1,203
    The engine is probably the best thing about the Intrigue. I have no complaints with it at all. I just wish Olds would have at least given one the option to get it mated to a stick. As many here can attest, it makes a wonderful sound while revved up. I also love the deep, almost V8-like rumble the exhaust makes while it's idling.
    Well, last night the "flicker" returned. It was not as bad as it had been before the new alternator was installed, but it flickered several times. Temperature was about 40 dgrees, headlights on, heater fan was running faily high, and the driver side seat heater was on. Same deal, crusing speed with engine at about 2000 rpm. I'm afraid this is something which will be with the car until the day it dies. Also, last week when I had it in AGAIN for the tranmission not shifting right, I got the "could not duplicate" as they said they drove it twice with all their computers hooked up to it and found no codes and it shifted fine. The service advisor even wanted me to drive the car with him and sure enough, it shifted perfectly. So what I'm going to have to do is leave them the car overnight and let it sit parked out in the cold and then have then drive it first thing in the morning as this is when the tranmission acts up.
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I just feel so bad for you....we went through the same crap for many months with our 300M, and finally got rid of the piece of crap this past March, about 1.5 years after purchase. I must say, of all the cars we've owned, it's the first that we've not only forgotten, but do not miss at all. Our Avalanche has been flawless and is amazing on the road, after nearly 13,000 miles.

I really think it's time to just take your losses, and get rid of it as soon as you can. I now you like the new 9-3's and the CTS, but are waiting for the updated 2004 model. In the meantime though, the Olds is only losing more and more of what little value it has, and giving you much aggravation. I've seen some great deals on both leasing and purchase of CTS's lately, and I'd probably pop for a lease on one myself if in the market right now, as the current 2003 model is pretty terrific in and of itself. But, the decision is still yours....unless that transmission has something to say about it!
    I'm not quite ready to call the car a "piece of crap" as it drives wonderfully when the tranmission works fine(95% of the time) and looks so good when clean. It just bugs me that service departments can't seem(or won't) find the problems and correct them once and for all. I am seriously leaning towad the Saab 9-3, but want to wait until spring when the 210 hp(w 6 speed manual) Arc model comes out. The lease deals on the Saab seem better then the recent CTS deals. I figure I'd do a 3 year lease on a 9-3 then move up to a CTS. Who knows, maybe even a CTS-V by then:) Trouble right now is that I'm afraid I won't even get payoff on my car as a trade, at least going by Edmund's and KBB projected numbers. If the car was out of warranty and cut my losses and trade, but at least right now whatever problems it has are not at my expense. Other than tires which it is going to need soon. As for the transmission in the Olds, except for it leaving me stranded on the roadside, I almost wish it would self destruct completely then maybe they will figure out "this car needs a new transmission."
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Why don't you pursue the lemon law option.

I would think a malfunctioning transmission would qualify.

You might be past the alloted time for lemon law but maybe you get get Olds or your dealer to work somethin out. Maybe get you an '02.
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    Jg...I didn't know there were model Intrigues out there, I've been looking. Where did you get yours, who makes it, and how can I get one? Thanks!
    I got mine from a connection to a site I found (I believe) at saveoldsmobile.org The main oldsmobile website says models are coming soon in their oldsmobile heritage web shopping but it's been that way for several months. I'm doubting they'll ever have em. A guy used to sell em on eBay a lot too but haven't seen them there for a long time.
  • winter9winter9 Member Posts: 98
    I was checking things over under the hood of my wife's car and I was surprised to find where they hid the power steering reservoir. It is hidden completely out of view behind the engine on the passenger side. Fortunately, after 59,000 miles it was still full. I am very glad about that because filling it would be a real pain in the *x!#&. The under-hood layout with the 3.5 is infinitely more user-friendly (for this reservoir, anyway).
    I was happily motoring along in traffic just above idle this past Thursday in my PCS-equipped 2002 when all of a sudden I felt a very slight sensation in the drivetrain, and at the exact same instant 3 dash lights came on. They were the service vehicle soon, traction off and PCS lights, and they all stayed on for another 5 minutes until I reached my destination and turned the car off. 10 minutes later I started it back up and no hint of a problem. Now, 2 days later, still no more hint of a problem - no lights have reappeared. Anyone else ever run into this? My best guess is that this was a PCS-related glitch. I believe what happened is something caused the PCS to activate (when there was no legitimate reason for it) and that tripped the errors. I'm guessing that what I felt in the drivetrain was the PSC kicking in.
  • ketchketch Member Posts: 217
    Gotta agree, and this is one of the major reasons I chose this car, the motor.

As it says in small type with a small caddy logo, in my rear door glass:
    "Cadillac Northstar Powered"

...leaving from Chicago for our new Home in Vegas
    Monday, Intrigue gets shipped. If anyone is ever out there, we should hook up, Merry Christmas all, may your New Year be filled with high revs and switchback roads!- ketch
  • TSchrammTSchramm Member Posts: 106
    The problem with KBB and Edmund's regarding the Intrigue is that the pricing they reflect are merely guidelines, and don't really reflect what Oldsmobiles are going for in the market. Some say, like a house, a car is worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

When talking with a salesguy at a dealer regarding a used Intrigue a few weeks ago, I inquired why their asking price was a couple grand below KBB. He answered that they have problems with used Oldsmobiles and Plymouths - noone wants to buy a discontinued brand- unless they can pratically steal it. That's why the plethora of used Intrigues at $10,999 or less. Said KBB is meaningless. Even the banks use it less and less on certain models.

Rational or not, 98.5% of the public , who don't understand how good the Intrigue really is, are going to shy away from buying one. The best bet is to advertise privately and hope that some car guy , who understands the Intrigue's value, will bite. Trade in-values through dealers are falling off a cliff as time goes by.
  • formersuver1formersuver1 Member Posts: 19
    I have no idea where certain people get their information that the resale value of the Intrigue is any different than that of any other used American auto. I have regular access to the Mpls. Auto Auction results and I can guarantee you that on average, similarly equipped/mileage Buick LS's and Intrigues are wholesaling for within a $100-200 bucks of each other (and I know the out-the-door was virtually identical because I shopped them both 3 yrs ago when I bought my Intrigue). I might add that the Intrigue is probably the best vehicle I've ever owned....
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Interesting, if your SVS(service vehicle soon ) lamp came on and stayed on it should of set a code.

Since you have a 2002 have you gone through a winter yet. when the system works or kicks in it lights up the low trac light for a few seconds to let you know your slipslidingaway.

I would definitly take it in tell them your story and have themcheck for codes..

The PCS, Trac Control and ABS all share the same computer( i believe) and it reciecves inputs from the Abs sensors on the wheels . the yaw sensor under the seat or dash, the steering angle sensor from the rack, the speed of the vechicle. and lateral acceration of the car. It then controls required braking of the apprompriate wheel(s). If that is not enough then it will reduce tranny gearing and finally reeduce fuel delivery to try and get you going where you point the wheel

I took mine into an empty parking lot when new and tried to spin her out and was unable to do so.
    I was accerating and jerking the wheel hard and the stupid puppy did its damdest to stay on coarse. The weidest feeling i ever had. Brakes pulsing and thumping , tranny shifing and no matter how hard i floored it while turning hard in the gressy lot the stupid thing just lugged down. This thing was so smart i was waiting for a voice to tell me to "stop it".

That said , its not invinable and is only a aide. It like 4 wheel drive. gives you a false sense of security. just like the trac control, makes you think it aint slippery.

However one day as i came off a off ramp, it kiked in and let me know there was black ice. neat

Any way take her in because you should have it working for the winter and those leaves on the ground in the fall.
  • moonshadowmoonshadow Member Posts: 256
    Interesting, if your SVS(service vehicle soon ) lamp came on and stayed on it should of set a code.

Since you have a 2002 have you gone through a winter yet. when the system works or kicks in it lights up the low trac light for a few seconds to let you know your slipslidingaway.

I would definitely take it in tell them your story and have them check for codes..

The PCS, Trac Control and ABS all share the same computer( I believe) and it recieves inputs from the Abs sensors on the wheels . the yaw sensor under the seat or dash, the steering angle sensor from the rack, the speed of the vehicle. and lateral acceration of the car. It then controls required braking of the appropriate wheel(s). If that is not enough then it will reduce tranny gearing and finally reduce fuel delivery to try and get you going where you point the wheel

I took mine into an empty parking lot when new and tried to spin her out and was unable to do so.
    I was accellerating and jerking the wheel hard and the stupid puppy did its damdest to stay on coarse. The wierdest feeling I ever had. Brakes pulsing and thumping , tranny shifting and no matter how hard I floored it while turning hard in the greasy lot the stupid thing just lugged down. This thing was so smart I was waiting for a voice to tell me to "stop it".

That said , its not invinceable and is only a aide. It like 4 wheel drive. gives you a false sense of security. just like the trac control, makes you think it aint slippery.

However one day as I came off a off ramp, it kicked in and let me know there was black ice. neat

Any way take her in because you should have it working for the winter and those leaves on the ground in the fall.
  • bnrmombnrmom Member Posts: 6
    Well I, for one, can tell one source of what they are worth used. My husband is a manager with National Car Rental system, and Nationa and Avis , between them, have purchased over 15% of total Intrigue production since 1998. If you've ever been to a National rental location, the Intrigue represents the overwhelming majority of their "full-size" portfolio.

Anyway, we just recently purchased a 2002 from the company. Why? Because we love the car, and because they are the best deal out there. And it's going to get better (for buyers). Thousands of 2001 and 2002's are coming off the rental fleets, and a well-maintaned 2002 can be had for $13,995-14,995, depending on mileage. We paid slightly less with an employee discount. But even at the retail pirce, these are screaming bargains. And at auction, '01's are going for around $10K.
    formersuver1 : Re-sale on Intrigue is about the same as any other American branded sedan around here also. It has not changed since Olds was killed.

ketch : Good luck in Vegas. Great town, enjoyed it a lot last time I visited.
    I considered selling the car outright and even created a window sticker and a posted advertisement. My problem with selling one is what am I going to do if the buyer wants to see the service history(as I would do that if I were buying a car from a private seller). One look at that and they will probably walk. Or better yet, they test drive the car and the tranmission decides to act up. At least test drives would be in the day and they wouldn't be able to see the flicker:)
    All Intrigue owners (current and former) will find these articles interesting. I think it's comforting to have the 3.5L called "gloriously expensive." http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_new_wheels_7/index.htm

and

http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_ten_best_engines_4/index.htm

There was also an interesting article about the possibility of adding a Cutlass model to the Intrigue line back in 2000 that I thought was interesting: http://waw.wardsauto.com/ar/auto_intrigue_cutlass_revival/index.htm

we're lucky we got the 3.5 DOHC. Apparently Intrigue was first conceived using the 3.4L OHV found in GMs minivans. Yuck!
    The 3.4L was a DOHC version. The "dual twin cam motor" which was felt to be too unrefined.
    GM should have killed the Alero before the Aurora and then the final 500 Auroras would have been the final 500 Oldsmobiles. As it stands, Alero will get the honor of being the last Oldsmobile to go out of production.
  • tcjeff1tcjeff1 Member Posts: 4
    Resale values for Intrigues may vary depending on location - but in the Washington, DC area they don't bring as much as similarly equipped Grand Prixs and Regals, for example. Some people just will not buy a car make that has been discontinued - for reasons that may be valid or not - and the price of used Plymouths and Olds reflect that - at least around here.
  • mfletouvamfletouva Member Posts: 166
    I know that's been said, and I don't want to argue with people who are saying that Intrigue prices are low, but I'm telling you as somebody who was just in the market in the DC area I cannot say prices were very low--maybe lower than the Grand Prix and Regal (I never looked at either of those two cars, so I don't know) but I was actually surprised about how hard it was to find a good deal.

The biggest problem, at least around here, is that there just are not many around. The ones that are around are used rentals, which I would never touch. Therefore you are looking a 99 or 00 with 35000+k on it for the low teens. That to me is not a good deal. I thought it made more sense to pay the extra $5-6k to save 3 years worth mileage and use.

By the way, last time I checked, the dealer that I traded my Alero into on Oct. 22 still has it sitting there for sale for $12999 (NOT gonna happen)...Of course, they'd probably still have my Intrigue there if I didn't buy it!
  • redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    As an Iowa native now living in Indiana, I could never understand why Oldsmobile hit the skids. Everywhere you look in the midwest, there are Oldsmobiles. I see probably 8 Intrigues a day during my 7 mile commute to work here in Indy.

BUT, last week, I went to LA. I did not see a single Intrigue, let alone an Oldsmobile, the entire week I was there. It's like 20% Mercedes, 20% Lexus, 20% Honda, 20% Toyota, 20% all others(and most of those were foreign) And I spent almost every free moment I had driving around sight seeing.

The other thing is...other than the weather, why the heck do people live out there. I could literally TASTE the exhaust from all the cars. And traffic, my god, how can houses cost so much when those people are ALWAYS out driving around ;). It was kind of cool driving around with a Grand Marquis....no one messed with that beast!! Still got my intrigue for sale...this is heartbreaking
    redly_one : Oldsmobiles are very popular here on the west end of Toronto also. See lots of all of them everywhere, several on our street alone. Of course we are the only people I know of that have two of them!

mfletouva : I look in the Auto Trader every few months and the asking price for similarly trimmed Intrigues is almost identical on average to Regals and GPs. Not real concerned anyway as we will likely keep our car for another 5 years.
  • one2oneone2one Member Posts: 626
    Yesterday I decided to get a K&N for the 3.5 Intrigue. Not one single automotive store had one in stock. The two that jg28 and oldsman01 reference (33-2086 and 33-2057) are the same ones that are returned cross referencing the Fram and ACDelco numbers. When I went to AutoZone I discovered that 33-2086 is $79 and 33-2057 is $43.

When I contacted K&N to find out why the prices are different, here is the respone I got:::

Me: [A screen shot was supplied to show the Fram and K&N part numbers] Two filters show when I do a cross reference for my air filter. The same two filters show when I use the AC Delco part number as well as Fram. AutoZone has a price of $49 for one and $79 for the other. If both filters fit my car and all K&N filters do the same job, why does one cost more than the other?

K&N: The best way to find a filter for your vehicle is using our application search on our website at http://www.knfilterchargers.com/search/appsearch.aspx. The molding on our filters would not be as pliable as other manufacturers and sometimes.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

Me:

My car (the 2001 Oldsmobile Intrigue) is the only model Oldsmobile that is not listed. However, I used your application ("the cross reference guide if you know a manufacturer's part number"

[http://knfilters.com/crossref.htm] ). The Fram part number is CA6479. That page returns 33-2057 AND 33-2086.

The question I was asking was is why is 33-2086 more expensive than 33-2057 since your own site's cross reference list them both for the one Fram

number? Since the Fram filter fits my car perfectly, why are two listed on the search and why is one more expensive than the other.

Please do not reply with the statement "if your vehicle is not listed, there is no filter supported". Your site shows two will fit. And even if the above quote is true, it does not explain why two of your filters that are the same

size are $30 different which is what I was asking in my first email.

K&N: We do not recommend a filter for your vehicle. Our filters are made of a special urethane, which may not seal properly with the airbox for the Oldsmobile Intrigue. Some of the other manufacturers, like Fram use a different molding, which is more pliable. It is possible that either filter may fit by dimensions, however, it may not properly seal. If you chose to use either of these filters, it would be against our recommendation.

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Best Regards,

As I expected, he never answered my question as to why there are differences between their own filters for the same airbox. So I sent this last email:

Let me make this very, very simple.

I'm referring to YOUR filter numbers. Why is filter 33-2086 more money than 33-2057??? I understand what you are saying about Fram and other manufacturers. YOUR website shows that BOTH these filters will fit and airbox matching the Fram part number. If I use the K&N, K&N is not liable for any engine damage. I understand that. But you STILL HAVEN'T ANSWERED my question:

Why is filter 33-2086 more money than 33-2057 when both will fit the same airbox?

In the meantime, I ordered 33-2057 since it was cheaper. I only sent the last email to satisfy my curiosity. I expect the same corporate blow-off that's I've been getting thus far. I'll let you know how it turns out. Oldsman01, how did your car perform with 33-2057?

I used K&N in my '98 Intrigue. There is not one listed for that either and I was given the same blow-off that they don't recommend a filter for my vehicle. For goodness sake, they make an oil filter AND an air filter for the 1.8L Kia Sephia (33-2169)!!!! I referenced the ACDelco filter for the '98 Intrigue and Regal. Both were the same. I checked the K&N for the Regal, installed it and was problem free for the next 40,000 miles.

This makes me question: Did Oldsmobile deliberately make some kind of deal with K&N not to officially offer a filter for the Intrigue? After all, EVERY--and I mean EVERY--Oldsmobile model [minivan included] has a filter except the Intrigue. Computer hardware manufacturers do this all the time (check out this link as an example: http://www.margi.com/support/dtg_download.htm).

What I don't understand is why they would do this. Obviously K&N makes one that fits the car but anytime one tries to get a straight answer they read a template much like what I was told. Oh well, I guess we'll see what answer I get.

I didn't pay more than $50 for either of the filters I bought (one for the Intrigue and one for the Maxima). I think $75 is outrageous. Shop online. The place I got my Maxima filter even had free shipping.
  • goetehpgoetehp Member Posts: 3
    The Intrigue is an awesome car; I've had it for 2 years; bought it for the wife (now ex) new. I put in a K&N; measured the filter and found a corresponding part number on K&N's website (if you ask K&N or any company's personell for service in these matters you are doomed to fail) - the part was for a Land Rover. I routinely get 35mpg highway; and my foot is rather heavy. Which brings me to... I intend to put on a cat-back system. There are many after-market company's that provide products for the GM 3.8 v6, but I cannot find products for our engine. As you may know, there were several engines used in 2000 Intrigues; mine for example, I am told, has its ignition coils built into the wiring(consequently, one must be careful when ordering engine parts). Right now I'm looking for a 180 degree thermostat. Can anyone offer any help?
    35 mpg?? That seems like a stretch. I can go about 400 miles on a road trip and fill up with 13.5 gallons of gas with my Intrigue. That must mean you can go about 472 miles on a trip and fill up with 13.5 gallons.
    Goetehp - I have a real hard time believing that you "routinely get 35 mpg highway" heavy foot or not. The 3.8 is a very fuel efficient engine, however the best I have EVER done is 31 mpg with my 3.8 Intrigue, and that was the ONLY time I've ever been over 30 in 59,000 miles. If your numbers are correct, on a statistical basis, you would be way out - probably beyond three standard deviations.
    There are some posters here that have put on cat-back exhausts. I think the SLP part for Grand Prix fits. Good luck.
  • fgriff1fgriff1 Member Posts: 18
    Imacmil,
    This sounds identical to a problem I had on my 00 GLS. The dealer replaced Crank Sensor, blah, blah, blah and 4 visits later still did it. Well it turned out to be a the Fuel Pressure Regulator. have not had it happen again. make sure the dealer checks this!
    Frank
    I was driving to work behind a 300M and we were both stopped, waiting to turn right onto a 4 lane highway. He pulled out onto the highway's right lane and I pulled out from behind him and chose the left lane. I began accelerating past him not intending anything but to eventually pass him so I could take the exit that was just 1/2 mile ahead and uphill. As I began to pull up beside him he started accelerating harder and harder as it quickly turned into a full throttle dual. My 2002 K&N-equipped (33-2086) shortstar was singing sweet music as I watched the 300 grow smaller from my rear view mirror. It really was not very close. I easily gained enough real estate on him to safely take the right lane in front of him and catch my exit. I think DC's 253 HP is way overrated for their 3.5 and this heavier car had a hard time lugging all that weight up that hill. Dollar for dollar the Intrigue is a great driver's car.
  • akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    I have already installed the K&N part 33-2086. I noticed that it did not fit exactly in the airbox. It warps up along one edge ever so slightly. However, it takes the lightest pressure to flatten it out with your finger. After putting on the gasket, it was next to impossible to snap the airbox cover shut. The gasket is definitely pressing out the warp.

Unfortunately, I notice no difference in performance. I've taken the car to redline in 1st gear, yet there's nothing extraordinary. I think that I may be accelerating slightly quicker than before, but the difference is negligible.

As for the cat-back, I have the SLP cat-back exhaust made for the Buick Regal and the Intrigue. It says on the website that it's for the 3800 V6, but it fits my 3.5 just fine. I think that SLP doesn't want to guarantee 10 more horses with the 3.5 as they claim with the 3800.

The only complaint is that it hangs a tad bit too low, and I miss that midrange punch. Though it accelerates much more linearly and wants to get to the redline a lot quicker.
    Well, I wasn't completely blown off with this latest email. I'm not going to try anymore. As goetehp said, don't expect a straight answer. In any case, my 33-2057 came in today and I will install it tomorrow. I'm not as much concerned with any perceived performance increases as much as I am fuel economy. Right now I'm getting consistantly 19 mpg per fillup for my weekly commute. If I can get that to rise to 20 or 21 mpg, I'll be happy.

In any case, here was their response:

Unfortunately, I am not involved in the pricing of our products and would not have any specific information to share with you. If a product costs
    more to produce the MSRP will reflect a higher price. I have listed the MSRP for each filter below for your convenience.

Part Number MSRP

33-2086 $80.57
    33-2057 $67.08

Best Regards,

I purchased 33-2057 and, including tax, came to exactly $46. So I suppose I made out OK by going to AutoZone. And it came in next day with nothing extra. I just had to go the store to get it.
  • lmacmillmacmil Member Posts: 1,758
    Thanks for the feedback. No problems since that incident. I have noticed that if it doesn't start on the first try (which it does 99% of the time), it starts hard on subsequent attempts. At this point I'm not going to do anything because I don't think the dealer could duplicate the problem.
    Well, tried installing 33-2057 and it doesn't fit. It is just slightly too wide (left to right). So it doesn't drop smoothly into the box. I was pleased to see that the seal is attached to the filter like paper filters. The one I got for the '98 with 3800 had a seal I had to apply to the airbox lid.

So, since everyone who's had success has used 33-2086, I'm going to get a refund and order this one.

Today's lesson boys and girls: DON'T USE K&N 33-2057! :-)
    I know we have some Californians here(or did at one point) and I don't want to offend them, but I really have no desire to live there either. Taxes are through the roof and the liberal mindset seems to prevail. But if I did live there(especially in LA or San Fran) I'd be driving a Cadillac for sure. Nothing like a 27 year old driving an "old man's car" to break the stereotypes:) Anyway, enough on that. They are some good wines that come out of the Golden state and one of the US's greatest presidents also came from there. Heck he was even governor at one time. I think it was Bob Lutz who was quoted at saying "in California they used to write songs about Corvettes, T-birds, and 409s, now they write regulations." Very sad but true. Here in TN, you see some Intrigues although the Camccordrus trio are by far the most common. I notice a good number of Intrigues when I'm in Chicago and also on the road through Indiana.
    Sorry that I'm too late to save you:) I made the same mistake you did when I bought my K&N earlier this year. The 33-2057 just barely will not fit. The 2086 fits perfectly. I think I paid about $55 for it which I thought was a bit high, but I really wanted to see if the performance was improved. I noticed a slight difference at lower speeds, but at higher engine speeds there did seem to be a bit more response. Not sure if I'd spend the $55 on it again, but sometimes you just have to try things.
    All 2000(and later) Intrigues used the same engine, the 3.5 liter DOHC V6 which was phased in during 1999. We had one guy who used to post here frequently and he put an SLP exhuast on his Intrigue. He seemed to like what it did to the car.
    I think it was b4z who used to remind those pesky 300Ms what kind of punch an Intrigue packs. Personally, I've never had a 300M try to outrun me. The 300s are nice looking sedans, but the 253 horses must be ponies or something as weight wise, the 300 is within 100 pounds of the Intrigue. Without having to do the "new" math, given the 300Ms HP and torque advantage over the Intrigue one would thing the Mopar would be the winner. I had a guy in a Camry(lets all laugh now) try to outrun me one evening. I was sitting at a traffic light not even paying attention to what was around me while enjoying some holiday tunes on the Bose system and the light turned green and I accelerated moderately. I noticed a car beside me out of the corner of my eye and glanced over(probably to see if a young female was driving it) and there is this guy that looks all of 18 probably driving mommy's Camry and all the sudden he hits the gas. So the juvenile in me comes alive and put the gas down while turning the tunes up and he gets smaller and smaller in my review mirror. If it were a BMW, high powered MB, or something like that I probably wouldn't have even speed up any. But I'm like, get a real car if you want to try and outrun somebody. Same goes for these morons in Civics and Accords(and the rest of them) with the coffee can sized ehaust pipes and snow shovel size spoiler on the rear. I don't understand the logic, why spend that money trying to make your car sound fast and furious when you can just buy a car that is simply fast?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    I know all about the 300M and the intrigue, my mother having owned a 00' M for a year and a half, and my grannny having a 99' Intrigue 3.8. As far as power, I think the 253 horses is quite laughable too, because in the few times I had driven it, dead was the word that came to mind. It just felt like it had nothing there, under the hood. Now granted, at higher speeds it was quite a bit quicker, even like a bullet, but I like being able to go quick right from a stop, not have to watch time go by until I get there....That's the main problem, and the fact that the car is quite over-rated, as one owner found out on a dyno. There's always a difference between on a stand and in the car, but on a dyno, they got a peak reading in the 145-155 horse range. Need I say more?

The Intrigue, on the other hand, while really not that quick either (feels a little out of breath w/ the 3.8 sometimes), is a torque monster and is very good at bursting off the line, even if you can't fly away on the highway. I haven't driven a 3.5 liter Intrigue yet, but I bet it would be that much better!

Now, if it wasn't just for our Avalanche's sweet V8....I'm still amazed everytime I drive it how darn quick it is all the time. Sooooo nice.....
    The 3.5L engine became standard in March or April of 1999. But I believe it was offered only in GLS trim in calendar year 1998.
    LOL! I guess I just have to learn the hard way :-) In addition to wanting improved fuel economy, I was reminded this morning when I was late for work trying to put it in that the other reason I want a K&N is because it's so darn difficult to get a new filter in! Getting the old one out is easy but getting the new one in without damaging it is challenging. So what I do is take the airbox cover off. After the "right" filter arrives, that will be the last time for a good while that I'll have to go under there.

300M::: When I was at the latest Chrysler event I did notice that the M and Intrepid SXT felt strong off the line. However, top end was kind of lacking. I drove an Intrepid R/T 2 years back and I must admit, below 50 mph it was a fun car to throw around. But I, too, have smoked 300Ms which is odd because not only does it have (on paper) a more powerful engine, the transaxle has a higher gearing than my 3.05. I'm thinking the M's problem comes because Chrysler uses a SOHC with 24 valves as opposed to what everyone else uses: DOHC 24 valves. I don't know what advantage there is to a SOHC but it sounds like a poor-man's attempt at 24 valve technology. I suppose the gas used (87 vs 93) may have something to do with it too.

That being said, I do like the M (not the special edition-feels like your driving Fred Flintstone's ride), Intrepid SXT and upcoming Pacifica.