Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda MPV

Comments

• Options
    garyjwmsgaryjwms Member Posts: 28
    We've had our LX for about a month now and we're very happy with it. However, I've noticed that many of you folks who post here regularly have gone with the ES. I am really curious to know, from those of you who bought an ES, what specific features or combination of features, or other considerations factored into your decision to buy the top of the line MPV? Did you go in knowing you wanted the ES from the outset, or were you weighing the advantages of the different models?

Also -- who here got the entertainment package, and are you happy with it?

Just curious,

Gary
  • Options
    bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    What is the Mazda S and Ford X plan and how do you get it?

I saw 2001 DX MPVs advertised for 17,255 this summer. This is about 2K below list. Do you think LXs are available at such a big discount?
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I think there are some posts on the Ford X plan, Mazda S plan.

It is for suppliers of Ford, but you can also join EEA, see this thread scrible "Ford Partner Program......(need some help)" Feb 23, 2001 1:05pm

Cheers.

TB
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    I personally do not like extended warranties. They are a real money maker for dealers or whoever sells them. Some people like the peace of mind which comes with them and perhaps in their case it is worth it,expecially if you are going to keep the car for a long time. In general though,with the longer standard warranties and better design of cars today,it is very likely that this is money lost on your part. It would be better to put that $1300 into a mutual fund,earn interest and use it later if necessary. If you don't use it,then you are that much ahead of the game. If you do decide to get one then get it wherever it is the cheapest as long as it covers the same components. Plus, I would be willing to bet that the dealer would negotiate the price down for you. Keep in mind,there is a reason the dealers always push extended warranties; they will probably never have to 'pay out' on them and even if they do on 5%,they are still going to make a ton of money. Good luck.
  • Options
    otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Our only experience with an extended warranty was also our only (and last) experience with a Chrysler product. We had a Jeep Wagoneer with an extended warranty that was always needed something done to it relating to the computers and it was never covered by the warranty. It was such a pain and it seemed to be anything electrical was not covered by it. I doubt that we will go either route again.
  • Options
    brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    We knew we wanted leather interior from the start so, we went right for the ES. We found $ went a lot further w/Maz vs. Honda and they were willing to "deal".

We opted for "aftermarket" Rosen ent system because I did not like location of VCP from factory. Our dealer only charged us invoice $ for the ent sys (they arranged installation). Rosen quality is exceptional.
  • Options
    jacksonianjacksonian Member Posts: 7
    Ive been lurking on this site for most of a year now. Ive even posted a couple questions(I thank everyone who responded).

My problem now is we have decided to try and buy 2001 MPV and save $ over probable increase in 2002 model year. Ive been to two dealerships (Bye the way we live in Jackson Michigan and have to drive 40 miles North or east or west to find dealers)Ive made what I thought was a reasonable offers according to what you folks are posting and Edmunds TMV Calculator.
    But on both occasions The Dealerships Laughed at My offer and would not even consider anything close. So Im coming to you folks to see if my offers are really that bad or are Michigan dealers really able to sell for more than other parts of country (any one in Michigan thats got a good deal please let me now I will drive to get van at a good price)
    My Last offer was for a SandMica LX With LX touring Pkg + 4-Seasons Pkg + 6CD Changer + Fog Lights + Rear Air + Roof Rack. Edmunds Invoice for this Vehical was 24,833. I offered Invoice + $300.00 for $25,133.00, They Laughed and Said They absolutly couldn,t go any lower than $26,023.00 Final end of descussion.
    Am I Misunderstanding Your posts and Edmunds? Or Should I just give Up on Mazda here in Michigan and look for somthing else.
    Thanks in advance for any responses jacksonian and flustrated!
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The Premacy is based on the Protege, and not the MPV. Because of this the power of a 1.8 is sufficient but not great. The Premacy does have some neat features that I'd like to see on the MPV like a trip computer and 3 lightweight middle row seats(made for smaller folks though). Who knows if Mazda will ever bring it over here.

:)
  • Options
    javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    I was pondering this LX/ES popularity the other day. Seems to be alot of ES vans being snatched up. IMHO, it's because folks are noticing that the ES is a virtual steal. We got an LX only because Mrs. Javadoc didn't want leather, and I only wanted heated leather (I know, heated leather is debatable). My pal at the dealership said that their sales of LXs have been falling, but ES model sales have been picking up by very well. When you think about it, if you want an LX w/ Touring, 4Seasons, Rear A/C and fogs, you can have an ES for just a few bones more, if you want to have leather.

Our next (yes, NEXT) MPV will be an ES for sure, replete with sunroof. Now if I can only find a way to snatch a grey-market AWD model...

/java
  • Options
    jacksonian: Run from that dealer,they sound like fools to me. Unless MPV's are that popular in Michigan (unlikely),or there are no Toyota/Honda/Chrysler dealers within 50 miles, then that dealer is not being realistic. Hold out for your deal,go to another state,but in todays market for them to ask for $1200 over invoice on an MPV is absurd. Good luck.
  • Options
    pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    like Java's Wife, my Wife also didn't want leather. So we went for a loaded LX...Sec.Pkg, 4 seasons, rear air. 6CD and roof rack. For about $1200 more we could have had an ES. Only extas would have been 16" wheels, leather and some wood-like trim. We are very happy with our LX.

My Dealer told me approx. 60 percent of MPVs sold are LXs and 30ES and 10DX. I believe LXs are more popular, but many MPV buyers are finding out the terrific value of the ES.

Pjd58
  • Options
    do a search on the internet to find your MPV. Also, go on Mazda's web site( www.mazdausa.com )and search for a dealer in Michigan. I live in Ohio and paid $500 below invoice for our LX.You may have to travel to get your MPV, but it will be worth it to save some cash.
  • Options
    julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    Run, run run somewhere else. Today, there is absolutely no reason why you should pay the kind of money these guys are asking for. I would check www.carsdirect.com for their price and if that beats everything else, then get it from them. A lot of people have had good luck with them. I priced one here in CA with the same options as you specified (it actually came up with an invoice of 24773), and their price is 23323 including a 1500 rebate from Mazda. And, they will deliver it to your house at no additional expense. Good luck.
  • Options
    I'd suggest using an online service/broker for your hunt. I ultimately used a broker, but put orders in with Autobytel and Carpoint and got a ton of responses from dealers in the area I was shopping, and their prices weren't bad at the time. I told them the model/color/options I wanted, and had the phone ringing off the hook in a few hours. I think the local favorite (on the MPV threads) is Edmunds own shopper service, carsdirect I believe. The dealers you wrote about don't sound willing to sell their vehicles to a good (savvy) customer... so walk, my friend. No sense paying more than you feel appropriate.

Hi Julyar! Good to see you're 'bout!

/j
  • Options
    julyarjulyar Member Posts: 35
    Jacksonian,

I picked a ZIP code at random for Detroit, and the price came up about $400 more than the what I got in CA, but still it is about $500 over invoice - $1500 in incentives for a prices of 23723 for the vehicle with invoice of 24773. Give them a try.

Java,

I am always lurking about here, I just don't post very often. I have enjoyed both your humor and the tech notes about how to beef up the MPV 2.5 duratech. Keep up the good work.
  • Options
    blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    When we went, we had a choice of a base DX or a loaded LX. We didn't shop all over and felt we got a good deal. I wasn't sure about leather and car seats so I didn't care about it. We have every other option except 4 seasons, step plate, and RES. We have, 6 cd changer, touring, gfx, moonroof, roof rack, rear air, does that about cover everything? We paid $22,439, invoice + $100, minus $1,500 rebate. It was a new 2000 but we bought it in Feb. 2001. I love it but the black wasn't one of our top colors. I was just about to order a white Ody before getting the MPV. We were able to get so many more options for less money.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    drdrevansdrdrevans Member Posts: 17
    When we bought our 2000 LX in January '01, there weren't any ESs available at our only really semi-nearby dealer (in Macon, GA). They had a couple of LXs and a couple of DXs; would have bought a DX if they came with ABS, but am now very glad we bought the LX: we got it with Touring (a great package to my mind), 4 seasons, rear air, 6-disk (would have rather had 3-in-1 for books-on-tape purposes but beggars can't be choosers), but no roof rack. $21,300, about $2,000 below invoice ($1500 rebate at the time) and just a touch over $5,000 off list. Best car deal I've ever made, and I've made more of them than I should have.

Basically, I think an ES would have cost just about the same if I could have gotten one (maybe $500 more), and if I could have I would. But the LX is perfectly fine and it's a wonderful vehicle--not a single glitch in nearly 10,000 miles of use, averaging about 21 mpg, and I smile every time I drive it.

It's that pale metallic blue, BTW, which is a good color here in sunny hot Georgia...
  • Options
    tweet6583tweet6583 Member Posts: 6
    Go South to Thayer Mazda in Monroe, MI or Brown Mazda in Toledo, OH. I purchased an 01 LX with Fogs, Roof Rack, Mats, & Dual Air from Brown Mazda this past March. Paid $13,500 (before tt&l)
    and traded a 95 accord. The rebate was $1,000 at that time. I felt this was a decent deal and with my wife and two year old with me, I did not want to haggle any further.
  • Options
    haven't heard from you in a while. I remember we bought our 01 SandMica LXs the same week last Spring. We also both reside in the Buckeye state, thats how I remember you.
    Our MPV has 5200 miles and has been perfect.

Glad to hear from ya!

Pete
  • Options
    wireless1wireless1 Member Posts: 7
    Hi Jacksonian,

My suggestion for you is to approach the fleet manager at the dealership. Even though I qualified for the Mazda S plan, I tried this route to see what I would get. One offered me invoice +300 - incentive and the other offered invoice +500 - incentive. Eiter deal is way better than what you were offered.

So try the fleet managers, and look farther away and I am sure you can save substantial money.

Rick
  • Options
    patsfanpatsfan Member Posts: 8
    Gary: Originally loooking at a loaded LX, dealer had sand mica ES in lot he wanted to sell - moonroof, 4 seasons, 6 disk, mat, net , racks, step plate, and fogs. At first I thought that I would not need the leather or moonroof, and I still don't, but we love those features after having the van for one week now, So, to answer your question, I bought the ES over the LX by chance.

Jacksonian: Listen to what these people are saying. I paid just under invoice with 4.9 financing. I agonized over the 2001 vs the 2002,, and I am as impatient as the worst of them, but held out. Try the suggestion above that you feel comfortable with and CLOSE THE DEAL.

You will love the van. Let us know how it goes.......
  • Options
    wireless1wireless1 Member Posts: 7
    Has anyone used their MPV to tow a small tent trailer? I know the car has only adequate power to begin with, but my MPV has the 4 seasons package (tranny cooler, bigger rad, extra fan)and I think it should be able to handle a small one.

Experiences?

Rick
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    During our last trip to mountains I saw one MPV towing a trailer. They seem to be doing OK... I personally don't have a trailer so can't speak for myself, but I saw others towing... Hope it helps.
  • Options
    alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    On the MPV mailing list we have many ongoing polls about the MPV, features, problems, etc. I though that you might be interested in some of the results. Here they are:
    What MPV do you have?
    DX3
    LX12
    ES12
    What was most important to you in choosing the MPV over its competitors?
    Interior functionality11
    Price or value8
    Exterior styling3
    Handling2
    Mazda's reputation1
    Should any of the following be an option for the MPV,
    which option would you consider paying extra for?
    Larger engine17
    All wheel drive14
    4 wheel (ventilated) disc brakes10
    Power seats9
    Traction control9
    Backup obstacle sensing system8
    Trip computer8
    Built-in child seat8
    Power sliding doors6
    Seat/steering/mirror setting memory6
    Multi-zone climate control5
    Side mirror-mounted turn signals5
    Heated front (leather) seats4
    Adaptive cruise control (slow down when approaching a vehicle in front)4
    Side vehicle detection system (side mirror sensors to detect vehicles in blind spots)4
    Steering-mounted audio controls4
    Night vision4
    Electronic stability control3
    DVD Satellite navigation system3
    Manual transmission3
    Adjustable gas/brake pedal position3
    Tire pressure monitoring system3
    Power rear hatch2
    Rain sensing wipers2
    Active Body Control suspension (automatic clearance control/body roll control)1
    What do you think about MPV's power (2.5L engine)?
    The power is OK but could use more11
    The power is just right up to the task3
    Definitely lacks power3
    The second column shows the number of votes for a particular choice...

Interesting, isn't it?
  • Options
    My family recently went on a short trip of about 150 miles from NJ to PA. To pass the time we played the 'car/van' game whereby each person gets a particular make of van and counts them along the way. Whoever has the most at the trip end wins.Can life be more exciting? I chose the Dodge/Chrysler vans, my daughter had Windstars,my son Siennas, and my wife MPV's. Guess who won? I did have the advantage since there are many older Chrysler vans on the road. Here are the results:

Dodge/Chrysler: 97
    Windstar 73
    Siennas 22
    MPV 8
  • Options
    billp36billp36 Member Posts: 3
    brmuda mentioned that they had the aftermarket Rosen entertainment system install. Where does the VCR go?
  • Options
    billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Your wife saw 8 MPV's on a 150 mile trip?! I recently got back from a 2200 mile trip from Pa to NC and Ga. I saw a total of three. I been rooked!

RJ
  • Options
    bet ya that count included first generation MPVs
  • Options
    RJ: yes, 2 of the 8 MPV's were ist generation , and probably 20 of the 97 caravans.
  • Options
    tweet6583tweet6583 Member Posts: 6
    Pete,

Yes we did purchase our Sand Mica LX at the same time. Mine now has 6,700 care free miles (thanks to a summer trip from Toledo to Hilton Head and back). I love (my wife's)van so much I am thinking about trading my car for a second MPV, sounds a little crazy, but this van is a value compared to all others.

I read but don't post much, but jacksonian lives within an hour or two from me so I thought I might be able to help him in his MPV search. I have not seen a post from him recently, hopefully he will update us.

Take care,
    Tweet
  • Options
    glad to hear your enjoying your MPV. You sound like Javadoc, wanting a second MPV in the family:)

Our van has been flawless. Haven't gone on many extended trips. Once to Cedarpoint, Cleveland, and Pittsburgh.

AC worked great during our heatwave last week. Glad we got the rear air. I'm sure the kid's appreaciate the rear air also.

Wish I could drive our MPV more often. My Wife has all the fun:)

Keep in touch!

Pete
  • Options
    brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    My aftermarket Rosen VCP is installed under pass front seat. The pull-out storage box (located under the seat) must be removed to allow for its installation.
  • Options
    brmuda, so a VCP does fit under the front passenger seat, that's awesome. Will have to remember that if/when we put one in to keep the sanity level manageable.

pjd, parish the thought. I won't be giving up my car anytime soon (satisfies my right foot), but Mrs. Javadoc is all-about having the '02 ES, after reading about all the changes being made. The rumored MSRP (around $27k) sounds very attractive also, assuming there's some room to move still.

/j
  • Options
    the 02 looks like a its going to be a total winner. I just hope the price won't skyrocket, thats wishful thinking. I'm sure you will agree, the days of $1000+ below invoice are in the distant past.

I really like that 02 will have traction control and 17" wheels. The upgraded leather should look alot better, I wasn't thrilled with the 01s leather. Also, like the audio controls mounted on the steering wheel.

Can't wait to test drive one in Feb. Maybe I'll regret purchasing an 01. Nah......I saved a bunch of green and love our van.

Pete
  • Options
    Do you have a link to that information? I've been so busy lately that I haven't gotten anything more than rumors and speculations. Wife is just frantic about some of the changes she's heard about also. I think the pricing will be okay. I don't think that Mazda will repeat their history (imo) of making the MPV too expensive, such as the Mk I van became at the very end. It was a gem, but began to cost like one also.

/j
  • Options
    If it's not too much trouble, please email me offline.

thx,

/j
  • Options
    blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    I e-mailed you (I forgot to say I was black LX but you should figure it out.)

I saw an ad for some car (forgot what it was) and it had "Java" colored interior, I guess this is the color for your next vehicle.
  • Options
    auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    Hi all,
    Just got back from a 700 mile round trip from Northern NJ to York, Maine. We averaged 22.5 mpg on the way up running about 65 - 70 with the AC on. Our MPV performed perfectly - smooth ride and no struggling on hills, etc.

Haven't calculated the return MPG since we still have a quarter of a tank left.

I did notice that the MPV is sensitive to "road crown" especially in the left "passing" lanes, pulling to that side a bit.

We noticed at least a dozen other MPV's on the road - more as we got farther north. Got a nice wave from someone in a dark green MPV along Long Sands beach in York!

Anyone up in that area of the county this past week???
  • Options
    Odd that your MPV was sensitive to left-lane road crown, Auerbach. During our recent trip, the left lane was the only place The Prez was completely free of drift. In the right lane, I always had to keep a mild [just the weight of my hand on the bottom spoke] left pressure.

Weird.

RJ
  • Options
    info on the 02 MPV.... at Post #116 on the 3.0 board. Someone had Mazda fax them the new featues of the 02. Traction control will help in your neck of the woods. 17" wheels on the ES, the tires will cost an arm and a leg and your first born:)
  • Options
    Thanks, read that and it whets the appetite. I've been scouring the net for spy photos and the like to see what photos they have out there of the changes. The things I've heard are great.

I'm wondering what type of technology they're going to use on the traction control. The TRACS system on my Volvo is pretty much a joke really. It uses the ABS sensors to apply brake power to slow spinning wheels. This does nothing on actually slick roads, but works good on gravel and sand tho. If the traction control controls throttle, that'd be really handy. But (if Mazda's listening...) it still isn't as good as AWD. I figure if I say that enough times, it may just happen, lol.

The 17" wheels would be very nice, imo, but I already sold our first born to medical research ...and I'm not giving up my "little punkin" 2y.o for anything, and I already gave an arm and a leg due to fuel prices earlier this summer. Actually, not certain if 17" tires would be that bad price-wise, as 16" tires are not uncommon anymore, and the prices of those have dropped in the past couple of years.

/j
  • Options
    when you run across any photos of the 02. Hope the style of the 02 MPV looks every bit as good as the 01. Wonder what the new blue color will look like? I saw a Sapphire blue MPV yesterday, what a nice color.

Seems like the great deals on the 01s are history. Inventorys in my area (midwest) are very low.

I'm currently looking for a 01 Mazda Protege LX 2.0. Mazda is offering 0% for 48 and free alloys and moonroof. I can get a loaded Protege for about 14K with the zero finance. Not too bad!

Pete
  • Options
    Yeah, I saw a P5 the other day by Wallyworld...Love the styling, reminded me of a shrunken MPV van with a rear spoiler. I'd buy one if I were in the market for a smaller car. Shame on me! Now Rolf is going to run funny and break something cuz I had a wandering eye for a different car.

I prolly won't post the photos here when I find them (copyright issues), but I'll keep you posted.

/j
  • Options
    traubejotraubejo Member Posts: 5
    Howdy. Longtime lurker here. Anyone know where I can rent an MPV in So Cal for a multi-day, family test drive including in-laws and luggage? A truly realistic test drive, I should think. I saw a post on renting one a while back but couldn't find it again.

I tried the local Avis a month ago and they said they could get me one; but that office has since closed and the two next-closest offices (Riverside and Ontario) say the don't carry the MPV. Hertz said they can't guarantee MPV, only type of vehicle (minivan), at twice the price Avis quoted me last month. I've tried half a dozen other firms, but no luck. Any suggestions? Thanks.
  • Options
    cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    traubejo,
    I don't know of they still do it, but check the local Mazda dealer. Many years back, we rented a Caravan for a week to see if we wanted to buy one. The larger dealers should be willing to accommodate you, if they have enough in stock and if they think it may lead to a sale.
  • Options
    garyjwmsgaryjwms Member Posts: 28
    This might be a little bit of a drive for you, but I believe that Don Kott Mazda in Carson rents MPVs. They're just off the 405 Fwy, just south of the 110 Interchange. You might give them a try.

Gary in Gardena
  • Options
    hvackennydhvackennyd Member Posts: 5
    Hello all,

I am a new member here and would like to use this oppurtunity to thank everybody for turning me on to a great vehicle! Before purchasing my 2001 MPV LX, I spent quite a bit of time here at Edmunds perusing the various boards. I am glad I did because I just love the newest addition to my family. My first impressions of the van are highly positive, having just turned 1250 miles. I do have a couple of questions/observations though: Anybody else notice abnormally high rpm's at startup with a cold engine? When starting cold, the engine revs at about 1600rpm's and doesn't settle down until you put in gear. Also, tranny seems to be a bit of a "slow waker". Kind of rough until she gets warmed up. I think I see some Redline synthetic ATF in my future:)Any comments? Thanks, Ken
  • Options
    tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    The high RPMs can be fixed for about $0.20 at the most. Get a 1/2" copper plumbing end cap and drill a 3/16" to 7/32nds (maybe up to 1/4" if you set the Check Engine Light) hole in the center of the cap.

You can then place the cap in the rubber hose that goes from the large rubber hose upstream of the throttle body to the Idle Air Control valve. (Back of engine, drivers side.)

The cap will fit loosly in there, but will not go anywere as it is too big to be sucked into the IAC.

There are pictures of this at www.contour.org. Just look for the Throttle Hang Fix.

TB
  • Options
    Congratulations on your purchase and welcome aboard. Glad you like your new van as much as most of us do. It really is a good-driving vehicle--handles like an absolute dream,once you get used to its quirky transmission.

I've also noticed the high revs and rough shifting. Neither one bothers me all that much because neither one lasts all that long. I'm into gear about five seconds after starting, and the transmission smooths out within a block or two--less than a minute and closer to about 30 seconds most of the time, even in winter.

Happy miles!

RJ