Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• tomaso7tomaso7 Posts: 91
    I have a 2001 LS with only 700 miles on it. I have documented most of your postings and if anything even happens to my car - they will be printed and presented to the service manager. Thanks for your postings. BTW I understand you were in the Impala brochure - but not in Canada! How about scanning and show us Canucks what it looks like. Thanks and blessings!
  • I took my car in yesterday, it's ready today. I'll let you know the outcome, when I pick it up.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Go to www.chevrolet.com

and then download the Acrobat PDF format US brochure. Look for me on page 16.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Posts: 145
    I personally love the taillights on the 2000/1 Impalas. Before I even thought of buying an Impala, I was looking into to purchasing a 2000 Camaro. It turned out that I could afford the car, but not the insurance. So, I looked at the Impala. I have always been a huge Corvette fan and the taillights on the Impala screamed 80's Corvettes. I couldn't get the Camaro so I got the best of both a sedan and a feature from a Corvette. In fact, that's what led me to purchasing an Impala and the fact that the Impala had a 3.8L engine that was the same size of the one that was in the Camaro I was planning on purchasing. Rather ironic isn't it?

My 2001 Impala AS has just over 1500 miles on it. I purchased it the last weekend of September, 2000. Yes, the car only has over 1500 miles. I look forward to driving it when there is better weather. I drive an '86 Silver ado to work during the week so I don't place a lot of miles on the Impala.

May all enjoy their Impalas. Toe, I am sorry to hear the about the problem you are having with your Impala. Maybe Chevrolet will be able to repair it. May all have a great day and enjoy the ride!
    John Cafaro was responsible for the design and looks of the Y2K Impala. He also was behind the Corvette C5 redesign, hence the familiar similiarity in the tail light design (Huge and tall tail lights and rear ends). Cafaro was born in Manhattan and he is a somewhat famous designer that works under the misdirection of Warren Cherry GM's VP of vehicle design. I don't know if John Cafaro is currently involved in a new vehicle project.

Just FYI Mr. Greg Bellopatrick was in charged of the engineering and inplementation of the Y2K Impala and Montecarlo cars. Mr. Bellopatrick owes us some answers regarding the engine cradle problems and the now recently discovered intermediate steering shaft non-sense.
  • ON my website I have a page dedicated to the townhall users and the quotes from the book are shown also loook here http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/impala.html

anyone can send a picture along and I'll put you on there
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Just wanted to report that I'm still experiencing BOTH the earlier "ticking" sound from the engine cradle (we assume), as well as the "clunking" sound/feel from the intermediate steering shaft.

I've also noticed when braking from highway speeds (like exiting an expressway) that I feel a bit of a shimmy when applying the brakes fairly strongly (in a straight line, or in a curve). Feels like warped rotors, but since I haven't had my wheels off the car yet, I'd like to think that's not the problem. (I know, almost 15k miles and no tire rotation; but I'm not in a big hurry to prolong the life of the tires that came on the car - the sooner they wear out, the quicker I can trade up to the Michelins.)

Think this shimmy could be part of the progression of the steering shaft issue?
    Mine didn't make it to the 'shimmy' stage but it could well be a symptom of something brewing in the front end. Certainly, the intermediate steering shaft could make things worse but also the cradle needs to be inspected.

My suggestion to you is to get your car serviced as soon as possible. By delaying bringing the car into the dealership, the problem will only get worse not to mention your own safety and of those around you.

Heck the Metro did suck, but at least it provided me with solid transportation while the Impala was waiting to be repaired.

Again, don't delay these repairs any longer.

BTW My car will be ready to be picked up sometime tomorrow morning.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    I think you will miss the Geo......

happily you will missit.

Our LS was built in 8-99, 29,700 miles now. No steering clunks or clikcking. Only the popping of the mounts for the frame cradle to the main body shell.

I saw a 2001 silver Impala LS tonight on the expressway. A guy in his mid / late 20's. I noticed that he was one of those "lane changers " to get 4 feet further in heavy freeway traffic....

((-;
  • hank64hank64 Posts: 37
    Teo -
    Thanks for the input on the clunk problem. I am wondering if the new intermediate steering shaft you are having installed is different from the original (new and improved?). If it isn't, should we expect the same problem to recur after enough mileage has elapsed? Also, from your recent posts you indicate that outside of the clunk problem, you have not had any real problems. If so, why would GM be willing to "..likely replace the car..." based on this problem alone?

Nosirrahg -
    Do you think we are the only two in the "Both Clicks and Clunks Club" or have you heard of others experiencing both problems? And do you know of any evidence that indicates the two problems are related or not related?

Build date of my LS: 11-18-99
    Mileage = 14,000 approx.
  • lrcobralrcobra Posts: 82
    How many miles do you have on yours now? I had to have the rotors turned last spring because of the shimmying you are talking about. Chevrolet did it and said it had nothing to do with tire rotation because they had done the rotation also. I don't remember the mileage(I have it written down in the owners book)but it should not have happened in the first place. I got an appointment in the morning to have the slipping or whatever it is doing in the tranny, they want to drive it on different roads and see if it really is the tranny or something else. I shall also keep you all posted on the diagnoses.(Probably won't do it with the machanic on board)
    More later
    Cobra
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    How did you find out the Exact Build "DAY" of your Impala LS? Mine was made the same time in November 1999, I noticed a while back the little tick when turning the wheel at a Drive-tru or a simular place, last night it didn't do it during my extended wait at Taco Bell...Anyway, I took it on a trip last weekend and when i decended the Steep/long Hills of Western PA, I noticed that Shimmy You spoke of while Braking, Kind of a wobbly feeling while braking at aprox 45mph down a grade, Then when I got near my parents Home the Brakes were Whistling LOUDLY! Everytime I touched the brakes I got this LOUD WHISTLE..(I mean louder than the usual Brake Squeal that some Impala's Exhibit) NEVER heard it this Loud before...It soon went away after I used the car after it sat for a few hours, Then I got my First "Service Engine Soon" Light (stayed on until I turned the car off and re-started), I think that may have been because I use Exxon 93 here in OHIO and used some 87 ARCO in Pa...Went back to 93 Exxon on the trip home,I should know better, It seems to stumble without use of Exxon 93...Like the 3rd time I tried to go back to 87 and the Hessitation starts again...(Teo...It DOES Run Better w/ Exxon 93) I just turned 13,000 miles and Want to find out the Exact day of Build in Nov '99....Other than those few things I have had no major Clunks...Yet? It has been Fine since I re fueled here at home (No warning lights,stumbles, rough idle etc...)and the tic,tick, tick seems to have vanished for a day or two? Thanks Don
  • mine has 3600 miles and pings when turned to the left at a stop. no other problems. it will be 1 year old in 2 weeks. I was reading an interesting article about the police impala. they mention the diference between the police and street version. they say the police version has extra cooling and a reinforced engine cradle. and TEO it has cast iron steering knuckles instead of aluminum.
    Very good question....I have wondered that myself. Let's assume for a minute the replacement shaft my car received today is the same exact part as the original with no revisions and any substantial changes. If that part has a design defect then that would put myself in a clear 'catch 22' situation...part gets replaced then a few months later the clunks come back...repeat the repair procedure again. I am afraid of this scenario because this is exactly what most '98 and '99 Intrigue owners experienced....going thru at least 2 intermediate steering shafts until GM supplied a 'revised' intermediate steering shaft part at the 3rd repair attempt (Often too late and owner's patience and confidence in the car already completely gone). If GM doesn't have a TSB or recall or at least fully acknowledges the possibility that the steering shaft is a widespread problem, then I seriously doubt the new part will outlast the original shaft...again this is pure speculation, but then again the possibility exists.

Now, let's assume that the steering shaft problem only affects certain build date ranges and VIN sequences due to a manufacturing or workmanship defect and later corrected on recent build Impalas, then we can safely assume that the new part has had some sort of 'revision' therefore it will solve the problem permanently.

I guess only time will tell.

Aside from this issue, my A/C compressor failed at 7K miles and was replaced under warranty. This one appears to be more an isolated case than another widespread malady.

Case in point....only 11 months of ownership and this car has had 2 major repairs under warranty. Is that acceptable for a vehicle that we paid for $23K? I don't think so. Cars are not perfect, but 2 major repairs on a still 'new' car which has been pampered and maintained by the book are considered to be 2 red flags of things to come. As far as I am concerned GM can have this car back. It failed the quality test too soon. Sorry I am a real pain when it comes to my money and the quality of products sold to me. Ford pulled too many tricks on me years ago and I learned a very costly lesson by still believing that a defective product could somehow be fixed at the dealer..today 2 major strikes, car is out and my cash goes elsewhere. Too many good cars at the Impala's price point to choose from. However, very few or almost none can match the Impala's extensive list of goodies for the money....but quality varies greatly; however.

GM sold me the Impala as the 'Most care free car in the road'...oh well, today I am enforcing their promise and getting every pennie's count...the merchandise is not indeed as 'carefree' as they portrayed to be. IF GM offers a 'good will' offer of replacement for a new '01, I will not hesitate to give the car a second chance. Otherwise, the market place is saturated with cars...it is a buyer's market.
    Thanks for the info regarding the Police Package Impala engine cradle. I guess if GM wants to come out 'clean' from this one, the only fix I can forsee happening is to retrofit all current 'civilian' Impalas with Steel engine cradles and Steel knuckles. They now that's the only way out of this mess, but I am sure they are dragging their feet to do that because to sell these cars GM made a BIG DEAL about the use of aluminum for the engine cradle...now how they would handle that situtation? Oooops! sorry we missed on this one....here is you steel cradle and a $100 voucher that covers the extra added for the aluminum part....very embarrasing!

Today GM recalled 1.38 million full size trucks and SUVs for faulty brakes (A problem taht according to Silverado and Suburban owners GM took 2 years to publicy acknowledge it...what a victory for those pursuing getting rid of their defective trucks) I see a massive Impala/Montecarlo recall of this magnitude coming to your nearest news network very, very soon.
  • PLEASE let me know if you or your service agent come to a conclusion about the engine stuttering problem when accelerating after a start up. I have been having a horrible time trying to get this prob fixed over the past year! Sweetpolly also shares the same prob.
    Yes I am very happy to get rid of the Metro...can't wait to drive a REAL car again tomorrow!
    I also use Exxon 93 Octane premium gas....I agree is the best for top engine performance!
  • hank64hank64 Posts: 37
    00Impala -
    In the back of the owners manual are a few numbers to call for Chevy complaints, questions, etc. I contacted one to set up a problem file and I asked the rep for my build date. It took her only a couple of minutes to look it up (have your Vin# ready).

Teo -
    Assuming the new steering shaft takes care of the clunking problem, but offers no guarantee of non-recurrence, GM might be prodded into offering as a solution - to keep everyone happy - a free extended warranty on that part. I vaguely think I read something similar happening some time ago.

Taylor1276 -
    The problem with stuttering, as with all intermittent problems, is that the mechanics can rarely duplicate the problem and therefore do not come up with fixes. Teo's suggestion that the Impala's engine(s?) are finicky about gas quality might be the answer. Trying a higher octane and/or brand might be worth a shot.
  • jijcojijco Posts: 49
    This just in, I think. I just checked out Borla site, and it looks like they just revamped it. Very nice. And they have shockwave audio examples of what the vehicles sound like with their systems. Cool! Anyway, first system i've found for our car. It seems some companies like SLP have a snobbish attitude towards the Impala. They'll make a system for the Monte Carlo SS, but have no plans for one in the Impala! What's that? It's the same for some other parts, too. Well, for those of you are interested, www.borla.com has it. Part #14879 Price $944.99. Yes, very steep price, but that's what you can expect for dual exhaust in T-304 stainless steel with the quality and reputation they have. I want one. Now where to find the funds...:) JACOB
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    15,000 miles without rotating MIGHT be the cause of your problem.

On my previous FWD Olds 88 Royale - I failed to rotate for a long while
    and the tires became what they called "scalloped".

The steering wheel vibrated at speeds over 60 and on heavy braking.
  • toon01toon01 Posts: 18
    I've been reading with interest your saga. I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding your thoughts of the vehicle...you love it, but it just isn't right!
    I have posted several times in the past relaying my problems with a 2000 Monte SS. I, too, had the engine cradle issue. It was in five times for repair/replacement to no avail. I travel 120 miles/day to work and back, and just didn't feel safe, although I was told that I could get in writing that is was safe(never got it, by the way).
    I absolutely fell in love with this car and had to have it. My dealer let me know he had his first one coming in(this was back in October); I told him to put "sold" on it and I would be there after work. I drove it home that evening after "losing my shirt" on the trade in. But I had to have it. I see them today and still miss her terribly. I may buy another in a few years when hopefully all this is worked out. Point is, I know just how disappointed you are.
    GM bought the car back. I will be happy to share my experience; however, it seems that you have an "in" with Chevy/GM and I'm sure you'll get everything you expect. I would have held out longer for a better deal, but after several months of feeling unsafe, I just had to let it go!
    Sorry for being longwinded! I purchased a 2000 GP GT. Now at 13,000+ miles, I have had no problems at all. Definetly a nice vehicle with all the gadgets, reasonably priced. Same engine, good power(would have gotten the GTP if I hadn't gotten a little screwed on the buyback!)
    Good luck with all! I'll keep watching for the outcome!
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Thought you guys and ladies could use some humor here:

To be sung to tune of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

Click, Clunk. Ticky Ticky Pop Pop.
    Impala LS we love you!

Click, Clunk, Ticky Ticky Pop Pop.
    Cradle flexing - what to do?

Shimmy Pop, Shimmy Pop, Shimmy Shimmy Pop Pop - new steering column's due

Pop Pop Ticky Ticky Pop Pop
    Maybe we should sue….

Pop Pop Ticky Ticky Pop Pop
    Impala we love you!

Have a great day all

Ken
  • cookie01cookie01 Posts: 369
    I know it's a big order on a Friday, but we're VERY near 1000 and the host seems to be no where around. We should go for it!
    With catchy little ditties like that, maybe you should work for Hallmark?
    I saw my first LS last night with the body molding covering the plate area. This was on a Silver LS... hmmmm, didn't care for it. I suppose on some body colors this might look okay, but the Impala's rear is "big" enough without bringing even more attention to it.

Sorta like... wide rears shouldn't wear white. Good thing to remember with spring on it's way...
    heheheheheh....
    Finally, after 12 days I got my car back. Car was washed, waxed, detailed, looks like new. Had a long chat with my service manager and we went over the repair. The steering column and brake pedal clunks are gone, the car drives and feels solid again. Test drove the car over some bumps and irregular pavements and no a single problem.

Here is what the final repair ticket says:

" Problem area: Steering/Suspension
    Description: Customer states clunking noise while turning right and also clunking felt on brake pedal at low speeds or while parking
    Diagnostic: Replace faulty Intermediate Steering Shaft.
    Part# 26079240
    Warranty claim"

For those of you that are experiencing the same exact problem, go ahead and make a printout of this post and show it to your dealer's service writer or manager if in doubt. This problem has been well documented already and GM should issue a TSB or Recall to replace these defective shafts. Don't delay, steering problems are safety problems.

According to my service manager, it is very likely that the GM Zone rep will go ahead and replace the vehicle anyway as a "Good Will" gesture in part of GM. I'll believe it when I see it. I'll keep everyone posted on any new developments.

Metro is gone, what a relief!
  • woo_bywoo_by Posts: 28
    I rotated my tires at 10k miles, but I do feel a slight shimmy (started around 11k)

it does feel like warped rotors to me...
    before purchasing my Impala, I leased a Malibu LS, which had a rather (in)famous warped rotor problem...
    the shimmy on the Malibu's braking was MUCH bigger than the one I'm feeling now, but feels the same

on another note: my change engine oil light came at around 11k as well, right after I got an oil change...
    I reset the light (multiple times) via the radio head unit, but it stills comes on when I start up the car, then goes away after a minute or so
    any ideas?
    Thanks for your comments. I remember reading about your own saga a while back in the Montecarlo forum. I don't remember the specifics of your buyback but I do recall the clear involvement of your dealership as the key for the success in the resolution of your case. I agree 100% with you, if the dealer is on your side regarding your problems and complaints, good things will happen. I consider myself very lucky and certainly my case have been handled exceptionally well by my service manager, the dealer and even Chevrolet customer service. The cust service rep from Chevy has been calling me when promised and has been providing timely updates on the entire case, surprising indeed. The Service Manager genuinely wants to earn and keep my business and he is pulling all the right strings along the way to make things right as far as complete customer satisfaction...he has stated this many times over. If GM goes out of their own way on my case, they'll have earned my business and loyalty. If they drop the ball at the end, they won't. This is business, not a marital relationship. Everything looks good and my Service manager has expressed complete confidence that GM will replace the vehicle. That's all it takes to ensure loyalty and a steady market share. Too bad most automakers today don't always think this way. As of now my GM experience has been everything my Ford experience never was. Ford royally screwed me up and I bowed to never set foot in a FoMoCo dealership showroom again. If Ford had gone out of their way back in the late 1980's, today I would probably still would be driving Fords. I drove Honda/Acuras for the next 12 years and they treated me right. I left Honda because I don't find their new products, service and prices too terribly appealing...times have brought much decontenting and lower quality at Honda.

I would appreciate if you can post your buyback saga. I am specially interested on details pertaining your dealership's involvement to pursue GM to buyback your Montecarlo.

Hope you are enjoying that Pontiac GP GT...sweet car. I drove one GP GT sedan and a Bonneville SE sedan last week. Very nice cars and both have distinctive characters and best of all..no aluminum engine cradles ;-)
    The part numbers haven't changed, so there is no guarantee that the new part will not go south again in the near future...we'll see.