Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra 5-door

Comments

• Options
    storkdudestorkdude Member Posts: 26
    Interesting that you noticed that. I put one in mine a week after I bought it. I used a normally open circuit breaker as well (if you can't find one, a single pull/double throw will work). When the key is turned on or to accessory the relay energizes and the LED turns off. It is clearly seen next to the dash dimmer switch.
  • Options
    mpgmanmpgman Member Posts: 723
    Mine is acting up again after being fine for several thousand miles after they replaced the sending unit. I don't think setting the trip computer before or after filling up matters in my case.
  • Options
    wmoseswmoses Member Posts: 212
    storkdude's aftermarket switcheroo is now on my Elantra GT website. I have had to add a second separate Garage page for this complete report. Thanks Randy!

http://www.gwebworks.com/elantra_gt/
  • Options
    joffficerjoffficer Member Posts: 169
    I just put $5 in my tank the other day, and all is well. I thought I was having a problem with the gauge and computer, but I think I was reading it wrong (duh). We'll see on the next fill up.
    5port said he bought Hyundai filters because of the warranty. From what I can tell, that shouldn't have anything to do with the warranty. If you use something that meets OEM standards your ok. (there is a law stating that, but I don't know it off hand). I plan on using Pure One filters (L-14459) with synthetic oil. I still will follow the changing schedule, because the warranty doesn't make a stipulations for synthetic oils. I keep Very good records on maintenance, so if their is ever a question I can show what was done (as well as keep MPG over time)
  • Options
    mrmagoo55mrmagoo55 Member Posts: 16
    Has anyone desired to purchase a third keyless remote transmitter. The dealer said that only two transmitters will work. When another is programmed the previous one will not respond.
    Has anyone tried this or know of a work-a-round.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    gt_fangt_fan Member Posts: 159
    Technically speaking, your dealers explanation is pure hogwash. Since the remotes transmit, but don't receive, there's no way the car or the remotes could have any idea how many remotes you have. There's no reason you couldn't have as many as you could afford. Sounds like the dealer is making stuff up out of sheer laziness or maybe because he's embarrassed by how much they cost. My dealer says they can get me another one, for a mere $165! (It would be my third except for the fact that my lovely and gracious wife lost hers somewhere.) Needless to say, I'll be soldiering on with one remote!
  • Options
    I figure each remote has some kind of code...or I'd open the other three elantra's in the parking lot. How would someone set their's up for a new remote....or set the remotes code correctly?
  • Options
    rwr1708rwr1708 Member Posts: 34
    What's up everyone?

I haven't been this happy in a long time. I just signed the papers for my new Black Elantra GT, 5-spd, w/ ABS and roof this afternoon. I can't wait until I take delivery on Thursday. I wanted to thank everyone for all of your help, which made this decision even easier. Now the next decision...which CD to play first?

Thanks Again.

Rich
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    When I went back to the dealer to get the 2nd remote for my '01 GLS (the first few in the U.S. were shipped with only one due to a parts shortage), I recall he said something about there being only provision for coding 2 remotes. The GT should work the same. So Mr. Magoo's dealer may not have been feeding him hogwash.
  • Options
    little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    Had occasion to go to HyundaiUSA site and to use their dealer connection. Apparently St. Charles Hyundai in St. Charles Mo. is doing such land office business that they don't need to deal with buyers like me for after their initial blurrp about contacting me within 24 hrs they have not. Neither has Hyundai USA followed up with their survey regarding my experience with their dealer connection via the net. Guess Hyundai is doing as well as St. Charles Hyundai because they apparently don't need to follow up viable buyer prospects. Seems to me that Hyundai and its dealers have really stepped up to the "big time", i.e., having the Honda dealer attitude of "You need us, we don't need you. So take it or leave it, like it or lump it." The boys must be reading and believing their own press releases. Perhaps they need to look at those Hyundai resale/trade-in figures...I have. Can't imagine what it will be like if those figures ever start to assume Honda-like proportions. If they're not interested in dealing with me before the sale, what about warranty work/service after the sale? Will say that Ackerman in St. Louis County did respond with a phone call (contacted thru Autobytel)but not informative only one of those "spider to the fly" kind of calls. Are there any dealers in Missouri/Illinois willing to conduct a straightforward transaction without all the typical bs? If so, please post your response. Thanks.
  • Options
    TupTup Member Posts: 200
    What about those keyless entry kits you can buy at Wal-Mart. Can you use those with your existing keyless entry?
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    Hi folks-

I'm finally getting around to seeing my dealer about my low mpg's (15 in the city).

They are going to charge me $76 an hour just to do the diagnostics. OUCH! This is in NYC. I'm wondering if anyone has any idea if I was to take it to a dealer in Jersey or anywhere within reason that would charge less. I did call one dealer in North Jersey and they want $70.

If I was confident they would find out the trouble with an hour or two I would not care. But I'm concerned that the hard negotiating that was done to buy the car is about to negated.

Thanx in advance
  • Options
    gteditorgteditor Member Posts: 2
    Hello, fellow GT owners: I've noticed my GT doesn't have any type of audible chime or tone to notify me when I've left my lights on after I turn off the ignition. If the car is supposed to have this feature, it's not working in my case. If the car doesn't have this feature, that's very surprising to me. I've owned less sophisticated cars that DID have this feature. Do any of you get a warning tone? Thanks.
  • Options
    TupTup Member Posts: 200
    What about those keyless entry kits you can buy at Wal-Mart. Can you use those with your existing keyless entry?
  • Options
    The lights go off when you turn the car off, and take the key out. At least they do on mine. I like this feature, as I've left the lights on even with the little chime on other cars. You can even use this as a daylight driving light setup... people see you better with your lights on.
  • Options
    After hearing that two different dealers had the same answer on not being able to program more than two remotes for a car, I started to wonder if my Carter-era electronics training might be a bit out of date. I found this fantastic article about car remotes at www.howstuffworks.com/remote-entry.htm and now it looks like I may have been a bit hasty in my judgment of the dealer. Maybe you really CAN'T get more than two remotes. Oh well, at least I'm not wrong very often, just ask my lovely and gracious wife! :-)
  • Options
    gt_fan said --

"Oh well, at least I'm not wrong very often, just ask my lovely and gracious wife!"

Heheheh ... judging from the above, it seems like you might have been wrong on a few occasions, especially to your wife. :-D

Thanks for the URL on the keyless remotes.
  • Options
    jackyl100jackyl100 Member Posts: 25
    Actually, I believe the lights go off if the key is out of the ignition and you open the door. They come back on when you re-instert the key. I agree that the "idiot bell" is not always effective. I love that my cars turns the lights off for me!
  • Options
    risa5risa5 Member Posts: 23
    I had a similar problem trying to get dealers to return messages and emails. However, I did find a great dealership: Extreme Motors in Bloomington, IL. Their website is www.driveextreme.com. I dealt primarily with the internet sales rep, Jerjuan Lawson. I offered $200 over Edmunds stated invoice price and I got the car for that price -- no haggling involved and I was driving my car home within two days of first contacting Jerjuan via e-mail.
  • Options
    dieselheaddieselhead Member Posts: 7
    nsa5, I am also dealing with an internet sales rep from a dealership in Atlanta, who has offered me $200 over invoice. A pewter 5 spd with package #11 (moonroof, abs, tcs) has been found at a dealership in NC. The sales rep is going to call this NC dealership and see if they are willing to do a trade. Did you have to pay an advertising fee or any junk fees? If the Atlanta rep can make a trade and offer me this vehicle at $200 over invoice then I'll shortly be driving a silver 5spd GT. I've been looking (or rather this sales rep has been looking for me) for a stick shift Elantra since Christmas.
  • Options
    yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    As for now(let us pray) my gauge and trip computer are working fine (at 18,000 miles). Since my initial purchase however it's been fluxuating after filling up from "full", right of "full", left of "full"...AND after fill up's my range of miles indicator has shown 475(best)...all the way down to a meager 250. Whatever, resetting anything on the trip computer does nothing to fix a "floating" sensor unit in your tank. Your only recourse is to take it in under warranty and replace it. As for me, I know the range of miles my GT will go after fill-up (between 400-425 miles). As long as I keep track of my miles driven, you can take that trip computer and throw it out the window!
  • Options
    little9little9 Member Posts: 30
    Thank you Risa5 for the information about your experience with Extreme Motors in Bloomington Illinois. Will contact them shortly. Again thank you for both the company name and name of contact person as well as the email address.
  • Options
    I took my GT in for it's first oil change yesterday, and they strongly recommended I wait until 3750 miles. The service manager told me there is somthing in the oil that Hyundai wants in there for the first 3750 miles. That's a new one on me! Any idea what the mystery oil is?
  • Options
    5port5port Member Posts: 395
    jofficer

Then my dealership screwed up big time by changing it at 1800 mi. I'd better get my old oil back, LOL. Now I've heard everything.
  • Options
    This guy was serious about the oil too! I'd like to see where Hyundai has this written, because I've always heard you should change the oil within the first 1000 miles. I wonder if I change my own will there be repercussions' ...lol
  • Options
    bri70bri70 Member Posts: 147
    On the maintenance log book that came with my car, it mentions that the first oil change should be done at 3750 mi.
  • Options
    jackyl100jackyl100 Member Posts: 25
    When I bought my car, the dealer told me there was real oil (not synthetic) in the engine. He recommened waiting until 1200 mi to replace with synthetic. I seem to remember reading the manual somewhere about this 1200 mi thing too. I thought I was supposed to change oil every 3k so my first oil change was at 2999. Every 3k can't possible be worse for the car than every 3750.
  • Options
    dlewis513dlewis513 Member Posts: 4
    Do you know if that Atlanta dealership has any automatics w/pkg 11 (preferably pewter)? Can you tell me which dealership/salesperson it is (either in a post or via email, mine is in my profile)? Have you been happy with their treatment of you so far? Thanks.
    Donna
  • Options
    wellokaywellokay Member Posts: 15
    Does anyone know if a spoiler is available for the GT that looks like the spoiler on the back of the Saab 9-3. Personally I think the factory spoiler for the GT is a bit big.
  • Options
    centarforcentarfor Member Posts: 22
    Is the Elantra GT1 just a different name for the Premium Package in Canada?
  • Options
    Just got a letter from Hyundai stating that they will reimburse me for the full cost of an oil pan assembly to the tune of nearly $500.00. A Hyundai dealer used an oversized aftermarket plug to fix an oil leak that I was complaining about and stripped the threads. The dealer refused to admit that they did it to my car, but the service manager said it was a common fix. The claim was filed at 18,000 miles on my GT. I sent Hyundai a detailed letter, with all of my paperwork from previous trips to the dealer citing the problem. They are even paying the shop materials and recycling fee. This type of service instills confidence. So far, it is America's best warranty. 21,000 miles and loving it.
  • Options
    Based on the Hyundai Auto Canada website, there is no GT1, only GL, VE, and GT.

I suspect the GT1 might be a misprint ... where did you see it?
  • Options
    I am not surprised at this, mpgman, and I am glad for you. There is a reason I have bought 4 Hyundais to date! Warranty! And that was before this "longest in the business" stuff.

I once got Hyundai Auto Canada to cover something that was not a warranty item (4-wheel alignment) because it was a requirement following the installation of a warranty repair (steering rack) on my 1989 Sonata. All it took was a letter stating my case, and I had absolutely no problem getting reimbursed.
  • Options
    wmoses, My salesman mentioned the GT1 and I saw it on a Canadian auto web site.
  • Options
    Hyundai claimed that the presence of an aftermarket oil pan plug meant that it was not a factory defect and therefore, not a covered warranty item. The burden of proof was on me to show that the dealer did it, and not Jiffy Lube or some other oil change service. The dealer that discovered it said that their hands were tied and all they could do was charge me for the repair. I was left to deal with Hyundai, across 2 zone regions based on where I moved from. Lesson learned here is always insist to see the service manager's write-up at every dealer visit to make sure that they list every complaint you come in with. It was the history of my complaining about a leak that helped in this case.
  • Options
    Hyundai claimed that they were paying for this out of a "goodwill" account, which I assume meant that they did not consider it a factory defect or warranty covered item.
  • Options
    mpgman, I got your meaning the first time. I agree the issue was the warranty. I also agree that their covering the oil pan, like the covering of my 4-wheel alignment, was a goodwill gesture.

That is why I exercised my goodwill and bought 3 more cars since then.

As for your experience with the service people -- I find it useful to write a memo to the Service Manager detailing the reason why the car is in the shop, and listing, in point form, the complaint and the symptoms. That way, regardless of what they write on their forms, my memo clearly indicates what I want. Not many people have listening skills down pat, and when it comes to me paying, this is important.
  • Options
    Mpgman - good work keeping after them on the oil pan. I think that most companies, when presented with good documentation, will make good on their products. The problem for many of us is that we take "no" for an answer too easily.

In order to try to avoid the same occurence with my oil plug, I ordered the Fumoto oil drain valve. I just received it last night and will be installing it when I change my oil (at last!) this weekend. After unpacking it, I gave it a good inspection for any apparent defects and was disappointed to see what looked like a peculiar shaped imperfection on the valve ball. Upon closer inspection under better light, the imperfection turned out to be the reflection of my face in the perfect mirror-finish. Oops!

On another subject, the posts above about the auto-off feature on the GT's headlights reminded me that my '75 Saab 99 LE had the same feature. Living on a winding 2-lane road in the forest, I've always driven with my lights on during the day and this feature makes that all the easier. Like owners have pointed out here before, the GT is kind of a mini Saab. The interesting thing about that is that the Saab is actually more like a mini GT. If you go to...

http://carpoint.msn.com/compare/choose.asp?Year1=&Make1=&Model1=&Year2=&Make2=&Model2=&pt=dual

...and compare the GT to the Saab 9-3 5-door, the GT is roomier in all interior dimensions, is taller, wider, has a longer wheelbase and more cargo space. It even has the same engine displacement (though I wouldn't mind having the Saab's turbo and extra 65hp!). Did I mention that the GT is about half the Saab's base price?

• Options
    gt_fan,
    It's funny you said that about the Saab and GT. I've always liked Saab's cars, and while showing the car (GT) to my wife, I used the "half the price" line! Of course I'm not taking away from the Saab (I too would love the extra 65hsp). I prefer the European 5 door fastback style as compared to the Japanese hatchback/wagon (matrix/vibe,protege5... or even the focus). Not to mention I love the leather seating that you can't even get on the others! For the price I paid no other 5 door can compare. Now we fight for who gets the "1/2 priced Saab" each day :)
  • Options
    When the two are compared side by side, it makes little sense to get the Saab. The only thing that would set the Saab ahead is the prestige (compared with Hyundai) and the resale value (tied to the prestige).

Even the more powerful engine does not do much to separate the two. The 0-60 time for the 2.0l 5-dr hatchback is 7.9 seconds with the manual tranny. The manual Elantra GT does this in 8 seconds. I guess the 425 lbs difference reduces the effect of the 65 hp advantage for the Saab.
  • Options
    The reason that the Saab (or SAAB, as they would prefer you to spell it) costs more is partially due to to things that don't necessarily show up on comparison sheets. When I drove the 9-3, I found it to be smoother, quieter and much more at home at the Autobon speeds at which I am wont to travel. The seat heaters are nice and you'd have a hard time beating Saab's reputation for safety. I might have even bought one used, but I'd have still paid more, been without a warranty and ended up paying those ridiculous European-car maintenance and repair costs. I had enough of that with my Audi (finally sold for full asking price! My GT's now comfortably ensconced in the garage.). Not to mention that the 9-3 turned out to be too narrow in back to handle the third car seat for our upcoming family addition.
    Is the Saab really worth twice the price? Not in my book, unless you've got a LOT of money burning a hole in your pocket or you really like to spend a lot of your free time under your car.
  • Options
    This seems to have fixed my buzzing door panels. I removed the rear screws that hold the door panels on, with the plastic washer. I put o rings behind each washer (big enough to sit on the door panel), and put it all together. After a mile of bumpy roads (and 30 degree temp) no noise! Hope this is the cure. Thanks for the help..... Hyundai City (NJ) didn't even try to tighten the screws!
  • Options
    Does anyone have pics of the Elantra GT with a wood dash?
  • Options
  • Options
    apupekapupek Member Posts: 1
    Hi-
    I am seriously looking at purchasing the 2002 GT,
    and after reading all of the great reviews, can't wait to test drive one tomorrow!
    Got a question about the trip computer though- what all does it do for you?
  • Options
    Thanks for the help, I couldn't find what it would look like anywhere.
  • Options
    yardbirdyardbird Member Posts: 30
    The trip computer is an interesting, albeit minor ammenity (for me anyway). What does it do for me you ask? Nothing really. I mean I use the mpg readout and reset it during tank fill-ups (my mpg hardly varies from 30mpg). My range of miles has remained fairly consistant, so I don't depend on the computer (with 14.5 gallons of gas my safe range is @ 400). When it feels time to fill-up I fill-up...instinct rules!
    All in all, it's something to play around with, a "fun feature"...nothing more, nothing less.
  • Options
    It is a good backup if your fuel gauge is inaccurate, a not uncommon problem.
  • Options
    Are a lot of people having problems with their fuel gauges???
  • Options
    csandstecsandste Member Posts: 1,866
    (GLS) is that the tank doesn't always show full until I drive for about a mile. No big deal.