Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota Sienna Maintenance and Repair (2003 earlier)

Comments

• smfransmfran Posts: 432
    We have approximately 20,000 miles on our 2000 Sienna LE and are very happy. People can't forget that a car/van is an assembly of parts that gets "bumped" around pretty good in its normal use. Of course there are going to be certain sounds that emanate from it. Also, not only Sienna brakes squeak. My 2000 Pontiac Bonneville does. All my previous cars did. BIG DEAL! If the dealer or brake shop you trust checks the brakes and states that they are fine, live with it like everyone else does.
  • sgergensgergen Posts: 155
    Yep, with all of the low financing and cash-back deals now is *really* the time to trade-in. Get ready to take a financial beating.

You're really going to trade in or sell a Sienna over brake-dust and a sludge rumor? Incredible...

Best of luck, we'll miss ya.

Scott
  • dardson1dardson1 Posts: 696
    http://www.minivanreview.com/MiniVans/

just take a quick look at this site under the Sienna heading......judge for yourself whether the sludge issue is anything to be concerned about.
  • cliffy1cliffy1 Posts: 3,581
    Don't believe everything you read. If you know your Edmunds history, you will see that there are several people hanging out at the site you linked to who have been banned from Edmunds. Its the same group of people that have infected several topics here.
  • ghandaghanda Posts: 2
    I too have had the whistling noise since day one, It has always aggravated me espeacially when pulling into the garage, I too took it it 3 times for this and dealer said it was normal,, Anyway, spouse took it in last week again, they must of been in a good mood, they replaced the altenator, and now the noise is gone. The van sounds like a Camry, We really enjoy the van 28,000 miles on it now Ave MPG is 19, Still think it is a little small.
    If you have the whisitling, demand the alternator to be replaced.
  • jasdmwjasdmw Posts: 118
    I installed a Hidden Hitch, class 3 last summer. We use it to carry our bikes around on. Bought one of those 4 bike carriers @ Cdn Tire. Hitch fits like a glove. Comes with 6 bolts, replaces the 6 on the chassis. Took all of 20 minutes to install. Didn't do the electrics, though. This hitch is mostly hidden, only the box and plate for tow chains shows.
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    thanks for the hitch info. i've seen them on sale at canadian tire. i'll look into it.
    better get rid of your sienna now if you are worried and go for the dodge caravan or maybe the gmc safari or ford windstar!

goodluck and as the saying goes... "regret always comes in the end and never in the beginning".
    this has nothing to do with a sienna but i just thought it's funny so i'm posting it.

i went with my friend to a toyota dealer over the weekend to look at the toyota highlander. he currently owns a 1992 previa 4wd with over 165,000kms on it. he asked how much if he wanted to trade it in, dealer wants to give him C$7000. sales guy showed us a deal he did where a 1998 dodge caravan with much lower mileage and traded for only C$4000!!
    after driving a 92Explorer, a 94 Jeep GC, a 96 Tahoe, and a 98 Expedition, I made the move to a very PC 01 Sienna XLE which was right up there price-wise with all four (33.5k). I have heard nothing for years but what perfect vehicles are made my Toyota. Mine rattles, squeaks, groans, thumps, whines, and buzzes. The leather seats sounded like 2 balloons rubbing together 'til I used a leather treatment. There are no interior lights for the window switches (except the driver's), overhead garage door buttons, or glove box. The hood is held up by a rod and no light under there as with my last 4 cars. The tires are cheap Firestones. If I had bought a $23k CE which has all the good stuff about a Sienna, I'd probably think I had a heck of car (great engine/powertrain). I suggest this is a good value in the base versions and out of it's league trying to compete with other cars in the mid 30's. Toyota needs to do so more home work if they're gonna step up to the plate and offer a mid $30's vehicle.
    There was nobody forcing you to purchase this vehicle, right? Many of the things you mention (interior lights for window switches, overhead garage door buttons, glove box. The Hood being held up by a rod, no light under the hood. Tires by Firestone) were in place when you bought the car, right?

If so, why are you bringing these up as faults now? If you didn't like the car you shouldn't have bought it. Sounds like we have a case of buyers remorse.

My Toyota is one of the quitest vehicles I have ever owned. I have owned Ford, Honda, Chrysler (Eagle), Chevrolet and Saturn. It's layout is intuitive and everything fits tight.

Scott
    i agree with you. why complain now?

leather seats does have this sound when u move around. personally, i think leather seats are a big waste of money!

it would be nice to have shocks hold up the hood instead of a metal rod and also nice to have a light under the hood. BUT, these are minor things that i can live without.
    all the things you mentioned sounds to me like all minor and perhaps annoying.

my question is: since you bought the van, did you have any problems? i'm talking about major problems that required parts replaced, recalls, etc.? after you answer this question - compare it with your previous vehicles.

if you owned ford, jeep, gm, etc. before, why did you buy toyota this time and not the same brand(s) as before?
  • smfransmfran Posts: 432
    After reading your latest post, I can certainly state that you have no credibility as far as I am concerned. Even if your "beefs" have merit, I hope we all on this board have the intelligence to make a purchase decision after researching a vehicle thoroughly. If you are having legitimate problems, have them taken care of or sell the car. If you don't like the "cosmetics", it's your fault for buying this vehicle in the first place. There are too many satisfied Sienna owners here for you to state your case to. You should go find a better audience.
  • Can anyone point me in the right direction to start an arbitration process with Toyota? I have had MAJOR problems with my transmission, brakes and alignment of my vehicle. The dealer customer service manager and regional Toyota rep insist everything is great in spite of the fact that my trans shifts horrible, my front tires are bald on the inside half of the tires, and the brakes clunk loudly everytime I back up the vehicle (see post #1415 for details).

How do I start arbitration now that I have exhausted the incredibily useless Toyota Customer Service Channels? Has anyone else gotten to this point of frustration annd despair with their Toyota vehicle? You'd think that since I had to get a new torque converter in my Sienna after only 100 miles that SOMEONE in Toyota would want to make things right for us!!! Please help if you can!!!!

Steve Paravola
    goodking@wwa.com
  • bob57bob57 Posts: 302
    Took me 14 months and 20K miles but finally found a problem with my '00.
    Driver's side seat belt warning light does not work. Toyo said bring it in - takes one hour.
    Gotta use that warranty somehow....!
    ** hope this post is ok now. last one got deleted

i can't comment on your tranny coz i havent driven or seen your van.

i can only offer you my comments/opinion on the tires and brake "clunk". the brake "clunk" is normal and i have it on my 1999 sienna since day one! everytime i back up and step on the brakes, i can hear the sound. as far as the tires go, if you have dunlop or firestone - get rid of them, replace with a good brand name tire (such as michelin). my van came with dunlops and i removed them and bought michelins. i gave away my dunlops to my nephew who drives a 1998 caravan. after 2 months use, the dunlops on the front (inside) are bald!
    I live in a small city. There is one dealer. The nearest otherwise is 110 miles away. In the month I shopped my dealer never had an XLE, never had one with leather, never had more than 3 on his lot, and never had anything but a slick brochure to show my future car. I was assured and convinced by the sales manager if I port ordered my car optioned as I wanted the luxo XLE would measure up. It was not a good idea but I was suckered by the Toyota hype and the great Lexus my wife drives.
    Think what you like, but a Sienna is not a value in the XLE version. My wife's 01 Lexus ES300 listed exactly $1900 more. It is as solid as a rock...no rattles, no buzzes, no nothin'. It has high dollar wheels and tires, a superior sound system with a subwoofer, traction control, lights everywhere, side air bags, superior leather, more horsepower, sunroof, a free loaner for even an oil change, a year longer warranty, and (what do you know) a pneumatic assist to raise the hood. The real value cars are no longer Toyotas. You gotta drive a few blocks down the street to Lexus to get what used to be a Toyota.
    By the way, I traded my Sienna for a Tahoe today. After two months of shopping my van I can tell you Toyota's reputation for "great" resale is more hype than truth. My 01 Sienna lost 40% of it's MSRP in 15 months. That's right up there with a Buick Regal. If you don't believe me, ask the guys on this site at "Real World Trade Values". They watch the auctions. I could never get an offer a penny more than the 20k they suggested was the "real money" for this car.
    I repeat....the Sienna is reasonable value in the base version; but when they try to turn it into a high dollar car, they miss the mark by a mile.
  • zman21zman21 Posts: 46
    Hmmmmmmmmmm......Goodluck buddy...we'll miss yah!
    ...are absolutely depressed! There is an unbelievable glut of used vehicles on the market, they can be had for cheap.

This is due to the 0% financing, huge rebates and free extended warranties that are being offered by many car companies now. You didn't really think that your GM dealer was going to discount that Tahoe and give you a rebate and give you top $$ for your Sienna, did you? You probably would have done better at a Import dealer (Toyota, Honda, Lexus) because then they would've had better odds of keeping the vehicle and not auctioning it like the GM dealer almost assuredly will.

I brought this up a few posts ago (post #1476), hope it didn't come as a huge suprise.

The Tahoe is a nice vehicle, I have a '99 Suburban and had a '97 Suburban before that. Very solid, good resale, but quite a bit noisier than the Sienna (engine noise and rattles/squeaks). Nice truck though, I think you'll like it.

Scott