Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    In winter, RFG is mandated for use in the philly area. RFG stand for the Reformulated Gasoline aka Oxygenated gasoline.

from http://www.citgo.com/Products/QuestionsAnswers.jsp

"The oxygenates provide additional oxygen in the combustion chamber and thereby result in a more complete combustion of the gasoline"

Then why is it that in my '99 ES, I actually observe loss in power while using RFG?

• Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    If expenses are a problem now, new ones will be found to make up for the increased income. Of course getting expenses in line is easier spoken than done.

You got that right! Just as I had gotten my expenses straightened out my medications took a jump in price. One went from $36.72 to $74.81, good for two weeks then refill! All four went up. It wasn't too long ago the four cost $150.00, now, one of them cost that.

fowler3
  • Options
    rae52rae52 Member Posts: 102
    Chikoo, it's because oxygenated gas actually has LESS energy by volume i.e.; this means that your car will burn more gas then it will using conventional gas to travel the same distance.

Hope that clarifies it for you.
  • Options
    kaiserheadkaiserhead Member Posts: 166
    What is Mazda HQ's email address for technical-related questions?
  • Options
    frankpcbfrankpcb Member Posts: 27
    Kaiser it is mazdausa.com, select contact us, and send them an email they will respond in 24-48 hours. I don;t know if there is an email address for the canadain division. What part of Canada are u from, I am originally from Fredericton, New Brunswick, but moved to sunny warm florida many years ago.

Frank
  • Options
    geckophgeckoph Member Posts: 6
    Hello,

What prices are people paying for 2002 ES manual with ES premium package? I can find $1500 cash and this weekend, a dealer told me about an extra $300 incentive. I'm thinking about 14,100 with destination. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    From the Mazda Canada website:

http://www.mazda.ca/eng/contactus.html

Mazda Canada

305 Milner Avenue, Suite 400

Scarborough, Ontario

M1B 3V4

1-800-263-4680

Information Centre

Fax: (416) 293-2780

For part availability and pricing contact your nearest dealer.

All other inquiries, please contact Customer Relations at 1-800-263-4680.
  • Options
    Like Chuck Heston in the Omega Man...
    Where is everybody?????
    I know it's a holiday and all for most of you guys, but come on!

BTW, Happy Memorial Day Yanks. :D
  • Options
    I'm from Toronto, moved to South Florida 'aboot' two years ago after I graduated from Ryerson. (I'm one of those brain drain grads!!!)My Protege is also a Toronto native and will probably be returning in the next year, it'll be three years old and have never been through a Canadian winter! When I went to Fairbanks to check out a 2002 Pro, the sales guys couldn't wrap their minds around my 2000 1.6 SE with manual windows and doors locks and a power sunroof, they all came out to look at it!
  • Options
    I just bought a 2002 protege es 5 speed, fully loaded with premium package, autodimming mirror with compass and outside temp, wheel locks, cargo net and security system with shock sensor for $15,656.00. Dealer kept rebate, car listed for $17,800.00

Frank
  • Options
    I know there was some discussion awhile ago about buying rental cars. Here's an interesting article on the state of rental cars today:

http://www.msnbc.com/news/756397.asp?0bl=-0

An good snippit from the article:

In fact, according to CNW Marketing Research, an auto research firm, complaints about the industry's cars have jumped 60 percent since September. Car rental companies insist they're not holding onto cars longer, but CNW's research shows that agencies keep cars 10 to 30 percent longer then they used to. This is likely due to the travel crunch and as a result, consumers are complaining about everything from dents and dings to rattling steering wheels. So even if you do get a car, it may not necessarily be in tip top condition.

OK OK...I'm bored...so sue me.

Mike

-The Protege Omega Man

BTW since Kaiserhead is an Ex-Pat, and seeing how he's the only other person to post today, he's like one of the mutants in that movie :P

• Options
    Sounds like a great deal! Do you have the car now? How do you like it?? BTW, welcome to the Forum!

PS. He's mutant #2 now..hehehehe J/K :D
  • Options
    The Omega Man is a little before my time....although its probably as good as Soylent Green.

Man, who buys ex-rental cars????? I'd rather buy an ex-government car, it may have been bumped around but you know the maintenance has been kept up and the mileage is low. All the rentals I've had have received "the treatment." A little off-road'n, yanking the parking brake at stop signs, 35 miles an hour in second gear, I guess the irony is that I would never buy an ex-rental car simply because there's an off chance that someone like me drove it!!!
  • Options
    Are you saying you've eaten Soylent greens?? Blech!!

...although its probably as good as Soylent Green.

Just kidding!
    Omega Man was WAAAAAAAYYYYYY before my time..I'm only 24, but I remember seeing some of it on TV when I was young. Good stuff..funny, but amusing :D

I agree about rentals. I think somebody had said rentals had improved over the last few years, but I also think that there is too much risk. At least if you buy used, you'd hope that the driver cared a little bit about their car, whereas a renter could give a baboon's butt about the car.
  • Options
    HI man, yes I have the car now it is sitting in my garage. I chose the sunlight silver metallic color, was very hard to find in a 5 speed, got it thru CarsDirect.com, took them four days to find it and after calling all the mazda dealers in 4 states, my car had just come off the boat when they found it. Love it, handles great

Frank
  • Options
    Glad to hear you're loving your car so much! How come it's in the garage?? Time to zoom zoom! Be sure to follow the specified break-in procedures in the manual.

The most important ones in my opinion being not to maintain one engine speed for too long and not to slam on the brakes unless absolutely necessary.

Enjoy!!!
  • Options
    Frank, congrats on the new Protege5, you're right, the silver looks great on it, a lot better than the other colours in my opinion. Did you try the new automatic tranny that they've been offering since February, it's one of those techtronic deals that allows you to have an auto with the option of shifting the gears yourself. I tried one recently on a new Protege5, it's not bad, although it's no replacement for a real clutch and stick!!!
  • Options
    I would never have an auto in a 4 cylinder car, so I did not try one, I like to shift, esppecially in a sports sedan like the es is, the steering precision and handling is amazing for a frontwhell drive car.

I am not driving it that much (500 miles in the past 30 days) because the dealer still has not sent the paperwork (my title) to the state of florida yet (will call again tomorrow) so I can get my license plate. Don't want the risk of having the car stolen with no title in hand and no license plate.

Frank

Kaiser, I bought the ES model not the 5, which was $1,500.00 and slower than the es because it weighs about 200 lbs. more.
  • Options
    dermendermen Member Posts: 31
    The car I want is a Protege ES with premium package, wheel locks, sensor alarm, 6 disc changer, and its a 5 speed. They are asking $15,500. Its also sunlight silver metallic. I also think it is the best color available.

About break in prosedures. I always thought it was bad to redline a new car. But the salesman redlined it a few times before he pulled over and let me drive it. He was trying to show my friend that it was better than the civic lx he had just purchased. So the question is is it bad to redline a new car?
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    They're not as big a deal as they used to be. Nonetheless, it is best not to red-line a brand new engine. Your owner's manual should have a paragraph or so about break-in procedures.
  • Options
    I think the most important break-in procedures are to a) not maintain one engine speed for too long (ie. no cruise control) and b) not slam on the brakes unless absolutely necessary.

I wouldn't redline the engine until closer to 600 mi. (1000 km). I think that the engine needs to be worked early on so that it "learns" and is capable of reaching peak performance. May be an old wives tale, but I don't think it hurts.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    get back to work, that is, posting on edmunds :)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    It *IS* Tuesday noon chat time on the Yahoo group. Where da heck is everybody today? We all forgetting today's TUESDAY?

Meade
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    all that could be said about the Protege has been said already, is this the end of this wonderful thread????
  • Options
    Oh, yeah. Today is Tuesday. Yeah, so that means, .. means what? We're all a bunch of Yahoos? Huh? I don't get it. ;-)
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    Well, let's see...did Dale do anything stupid to her car over the weekend?

No, she didn't...guess you're right then, this is the end of the Protege discussion.

Shucks...guess I'll have to trade it in for a Cougar so I'll have something to talk about.
  • Options
    LMAO!! Not sure if you guys know what a Cougar is, but if you call an older lady out here a cougar....hahhahaahahaha

Hank, did you get that oil drain plug off??
  • Options
    Ok...here's something else I find puzzling that I can't find the answer to. I've read a few people say that they experience smoother shifts after switching to synth. What does engine oil have to do with gear shifting?

Me-sa mooey confused
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You wouldn't notice smoother shifts from using synthetic in your engine, but you might if you use synthetic in your transmission.
  • Options
    That's what I thought. Thanks :D
  • Options
    haven't went under the car this past weekend, been really busy with Memorial Day-related activities. Did buy a really nice and big ratchet wrench from Sears though, that should help getting the frigging plug off :)

if the weather holds up and doesn't rain when I get back from work, I'll try again :)
  • Options
    Let me know what you think of synth. I'm really thinking of switching, but at $27 a change, it's a little much. Right now I get "free" oil changes (ie. Paid my $130 for 4 changes/year for the time that I own the car which will likely be till it falls totally apart), so I'm not sure if I need to put synth in. But I know that my CDN winters are brutal on the engine and I do take some short trips now and then and I think synth may help in both cases.
  • Options
    maybe you can pay a few bucks everytime you change oil with your 'lifetime' oil change and they'll put in synthetics for you :)

or you can BYOO (bring your own oil), they shouldn't complain about that!
  • Options
    Exactly what I was thinking. They're pretty good guys in there...I've only ever had my uncle change the oil and will continue to do so.

I just need to do SOMETHING with my car...I totally love it, but I have an itch to do something different!!
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    Who is Batz Maru?
  • Options
    heh...

Badtz Maru is one of Hello Kitty's friends...kind of an effort to get boys all excited about Hello Kitty products.

Okay, maybe not boys Mike's age.
  • Options
    Hahahaahahaahaha! That's not exactly what I had in mind, but thanks for the thought Dale. :D
  • Options
    'Hello Crappy?'

Thems fightin' words, boy.

You'd better watch your back.
  • Options
    Nope...don't see anything :D
  • Options
    I thought that "Hello Crappy" was more than a little clever...muwhahahahahahaahaha!!!

Seriously...to be a little on topic, I'm going crazy thinking about mods. Now I'm thinking about the B&M short throw shifter....decisions, decisions.
  • Options
    What is Hello Kitty?
  • Options
    That's what happens when you spend too much time over on the Dark Side...I mean...protegeclub.

How about a zex 50 shot, an Eibach pro kit, and a Bosal cat-back?
  • Options
    www.sanrio.com
  • Options
    NOW you're talking!!

Hello Kitty is a japanese animation (anime) character from a long time ago.

For Hello Cra...err I mean Kitty pics or whatever, just do a search on any engine (type in Hello Kitty and watch the number of hits fly).
  • Options
    of performance modifications >:)

on a separate note, dealer shop sucks! I still can't loosen up the friggin drain plug even with the new big ratchet wrench I got >:( I put in at least 50 ft/lb of force into it and it's still not moving. Gonna have to borrow an impact wrench from someone to get it off >:(

god I'm PO'd now... >:(
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You don't need an impact wrench to get a drain plug off. I seriously doubt anyone would go to the trouble of tightening your drain plug with an impact wrench either. Unless the drain plug head is stripped, you WILL be able to get it off with a regular wrench and extra leverage from a pipe or joined wrench. I have encountered drain plugs that feel like King Kong tightened them and have never had to use an impact wrench to remove any of them. It's all about leverage. If it's that tight, be sure to use a 6 point wrench.

Tip: Put the wrench on the plug head. If you are right handed, grip the wrench with your left hand and pound your left hand with the ball of your right fist in the direction to loosen the plug. I do this every time I take my drain plug out and it usually take 1-2 "taps" and the plug is loose. I'll bet this will do the trick.
  • Options
    but it's really hard to put any real force into it since I'm lying on my back under the car with little room to maneuver, even after I jacked the car up on jackstands. I don't have the convenience of a lift you know :(
  • Options
    ssoto1ssoto1 Member Posts: 66
    Hi I have a 2000 Protege es just wanted to know if anyone could help me find the mud guards and the black plastic window wind defectors. Happy zoom zooming...
  • Options
    Welcom to the forum!