Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    elcapitan:

Congrats on your new Civic. According to Honda Severe Service Schedule, @10,000 miles there is no tune up required. Only: oil and filter change, rotate tire then some inspection. Anyway since its free dealer can call whatever they want to call it.

Regards,
    bjk
  • Options
    wendydwendyd Member Posts: 3
    bjk2001- Thanks for the info. I will be going back to deal. I was talking to the dealer about the 5 spd. and it was less than the automatic. So..I will try to get a little under the price you reported. I'll let you know the lowest I can get in GA.
    Wendy
  • Options
    Wendy:

I don't know where in Ga do you live. I just check carsdriect price. Carsdirect price for Civic is $600 below the invoice in So Ca, we paid $1,700 below the invoice. Carsdirect Civic price for Atalanta Ga is $800 below the invoice. I suggest you check the local major newspaper weekend ad to see what's your local market price. Also if you buy toward the end of the month, you should be easier to negotiate the price for dealer to make month end quota. You could always ask dealer to throw in free accessories, the worst case is dealer will tell you no. It won't hurt to ask.
    Good luck,

Ben
  • Options
    atomboyatomboy Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I live in Socal. Please tell me which dealer and salesman sold you the 02 honda civic ex 4dr auto.

thx
    atomboy
  • Options
    acissej138acissej138 Member Posts: 4
    Here in my Illinois town of 25,000, the only Honda dealer is very difficult to haggle with. I test drove an automatic EX coupe, which is the exact car I want.

They offered $250 above invoice (about $16500 on MSRP of $17770) @ 4.9% APR on 60 mo.

I'd like the total to be right at $16K INCLUDING tax, license, etc. Anyone think that's within the realm of possibility? They have about 9 Civics on their lot, but only 2 EX coupes. Wondering if I would get a better deal in Chicago.

I want to trade my 99 Corolla 4 dr automatic. It has about 38K miles on it. Problem is I still owe about $8K on it and I'm guessing probably won't offer me more than $9K in trade, if that much.

Anybody have any advice?
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    You're too low, they're too high, somewhere in the high-middle is fair.
  • Options
    theracoontheracoon Member Posts: 666
    I test drove an automatic EX coupe, which is the exact car I want.

I just went through something similar negotiating with 3 different Honda dealers for a Civic LX Coupe 5 spd. Two of the dealers wouldn't go below invoice, and the one that did insisted on adding accessories I didn't want at higher than Honda suggested prices ($159 for splash guards!?!). I got a Taffeta White LX Coupe 5 spd for $14,090 + tax and a low doc fee.

What was interesting was that I could have had an LX Sedan 5 spd in the same color for $13,830 + tax and doc fees, even though the Sedan's invoice is $200 more than the Coupe (according to Edmunds.com). They had a bunch of the sedans, but only a couple Coupes. Demand drives the market.

JM2C
  • Options
    acissej138acissej138 Member Posts: 4
    If ABS was an option on the LX, I'd be on it in a minute. I don't need a moonroof or a lot of the little things on the EX. Is $15K + tax, fees, etc. that unreasonable for an EX coupe? Maybe my negotiating skills just need a little work.
  • Options
    Depends on your local market. EX Auto Coupe $15K+tax, fee, if you were in So Cal, you are paying too much. Saw some EX Coupe 5 speed not Auto on LA Times this weekend for $13,988. Not 1 only, 5 to choose.
    Good luck with your purchase.
    bjk
  • Options
    hounddog69hounddog69 Member Posts: 34
    I think now is the time to buy since the 2003 models will be in soon. The dealer that I bought my 2002 Civic Coupe EX from is selling 2002 LX Coupes for $13,250.
  • Options
    ycnycycnyc Member Posts: 7
    Dealer in Long Island, NY is offering 2002 Civic LX sedan automatic for 13,999. Found a dealer here in Queens,NY who says they will beat that price. Going in this weekend for a test drive. Thrilled about these prices, definitely glad that I am buying the car now.
  • Options
    pbagratpbagrat Member Posts: 25
    We bought a 2002 EX Coupe for my wife yesterday at Nalley Honda in Union City GA. Red Automatic with black interior and rear spoiler. It also has the carbon trim on the dash and a moon roof visor. MSRP was 19,800 with all the add-ons and we paid $16909 before taxes.
  • Options
    kingsolykingsoly Member Posts: 1
    What dealer is offering the EX 4dr Auto in So CA for $1700 below invoice
  • Options
    kingsoly:

Check out post # 92.

bjk
  • Options
    20exc20exc Member Posts: 16
    Sorry to butt in on the conversations, but I'm in the middle of negotiations on a EX with auto and srs. I see many posting with great deals and way below invoice prices, but no listings of the dealers names. In todays market you can hop on an aircarrier and be in so. cal. and get a great deal in one day. Please post the dealer you are using. In the Dallas area Riley Honda $18010 a joke, McNatt $17433 out the door, others vary between.
  • Options
    Ok, we got ours from Colonial Honda in Glendale, Ca with mud guard, NO side Air Bag $14,988.+ lic+doc fee. $16,400 out the door.
    A friend got her Ex Auto 4dr with mudguard, door edge guard and carpet mats, from Woodland Hills Honda, Ca. same price $14,988 + lic+doc.
    Nelson Honda in El Monte, Ca lists EX Auto 4 Dr. $15,388 on LA Times $400.- higher than we paid.
    Also seen Riverside Honda, Ca lists EX 4Dr Auto for $14,988.-

Strongly suggest you guys call them first to get a written firm quote either fax or email before you jump on airplane to LA.
  • Options
    erinkkerinkk Member Posts: 6
    Hi, I'm in the Dallas area and just bought a Civic Coupe EX from Gillman Honda of Denison. I would recommend them to anyone. I just graduated from college and this was my first car buying experience. I got many quotes from different dealers in the area and Lute Riley was the weirdest! I didn't like the way that they treated me in the emails...not quoting the direct price and all. Nolan Henderson at Gillman Honda went out of his way and just let me take my time with the buying...no pressure. I ended getting exactly what I wanted...Civic Coupe EX in Blue with spoiler and wind visor. The OTD price was $17781.75. He sold me the Civic for $500 below invoice. The total before TT&L was 16,604. The floor mats, he said, should always be included at no extra cost because they do come with the car when the dealer receives them. Anyway! I would recommend them to anyone. Very friendly...no pressure. I'm extremely happy!!
    kate
  • Options
    Are drying up. The 2002's are running low, I'm getting notices of price increases(really just not-as-good deals).
  • Options
    Just bought an 02 civic lx sedan (automatic) w/cd and alarm/keyless entry for 14,814 before taxes at Hillside Honda in Queens, NY. I think this was a great deal. The dealer was already out of Accords and quickly running out of civics. If you're interested in a civic this is a great time to get one
  • Options
    danixdanix Member Posts: 19
    ycnyc, hate to say it, but you paid way too much.
    My local dealer (Curry Honda) is advertising Civic LX auto 4dr at $13995, as is Brewster Honda. On a 2 car deal (Civic and CRV) I was able to negotiate $500 below MSRP on the CRV and $13500 on the Civic, and I'm not done yet :)
  • Options
    29174602917460 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought an 02 LX for $13,388 in Bay Area. Advertised sale price. No dealing at that price tho.
  • Options
    My price for the LX was 13,995, I added CD and Alarm/keyless entry which are accessories and paid 14,814 total before taxes. My dealer also knocked off the 460 destination charge, and no other ridiculous fees were charged. In my opinion I got a great deal, and am happy about my choice.
  • Options
    We put a deposit on a silver EX only additions automatic trans and side airbags. This was at the Lewisville Tx, dealership Jim McNatt. $16231 might not be the lowest price it's about $273 below what Edmunds shows as invoice, we think it's ok and if you want a dealership around for service they have to make a profit also. McNatt has a policy of loaning a bybrid if your service will take more than an hour. Also none of that clear coat and other dealer stuff like so many others. No pressure, I got one call from a dealer in Ft Worth that would match the price provided I would come right down and sign now the price was good for today only. Now when you add your better price please make sure it's for an EX with side airbags and automatic. Also name the dealer. We have a list of add on stuff we will get from the after market dealers.
  • Options
    car4flcar4fl Member Posts: 6
    I have been to 5 dealers in Fl and armed with all the great info. from this site and still cannot get a great deal on a 2002 Civic EX, auto, 4 door, side airbags. (16,900+399 dealer fee which they say will not waive+tax,tag,title) When I show ads they say that they will not honor the ad or even come close.(I don't want to buy the one from the dealer with the ad because we want side airbags.)I tell them what people are paying on this site and the dealers say they are "lying". With the 2003's around the corner one would think that better deals would be out there.
    "Update in Tx" by 20exc...$16231...does that include all dealer fees? Just add tax,tag,title?
    Thanks in advance for your help. Sure have a great site!
  • Options
    On Saturday, I went with my mom to buy her Civic LX auto, and got it for $13,495 plus tax/tags. She wasn't crazy about the red color though.
    On Sunday, I located a silver one at another dealer, so I cancelled the deal at the first dealer (they were nice) and went with her to get the silver one at the same price. I was also able to negotiate a great deal on a CRV EX for my mother in law at the same time.

Has anyone found a Honda dealer willing to sell the extended warranty at a discount, besides Curry in MA (www.honda-warranty.com I think)?
  • Options
    Well something must have gone real wrong at McNatt Honda. We got a call saying the wrong car had been quoted in the price. We went round and round. The car they quoted is on the lot but the wrong color, the one we want is inbound and not discounted. They made a $441 mistake, ooops. We negotiated a split 50/50 on the mistake "they made". That makes the price $16,450 plus TTL. In Texas that make the whole out the door price $17665.25. I may have to do another round of phone calls and see what else is going on at other dealers. It's the drive to all the other dealers that I'm trying to avoid. Any service at all will be a royal pain. But labor day is coming and the end of the month. Well see...
  • Options
    erinkkerinkk Member Posts: 6
    Hey 20exc,
    There are better deals out there in the DFW area. I would seriously call Gillman Honda of Denison and ask for Nolan Henderson. He gave me the best deal out of anyone in the metroplex. If he's not in, ask for Debbie Boatright.
    Good luck!
  • Options
    Thanks I went out to Gillman 60 miles one way. Nolan has been promoted. The price was the same as McNatt. Debbie is....well....Debbie. The thing that drives me nuts at a dealership is the so called "dealer pack" you know the fender and door protectors and the clear coat finish.

The sales pitch of "We will be hear after the sale"...ya know what, I don't want to be "here" after the sale.

I'm not done with the search yet, any local discount Honda parts places you know of. Thanks
  • Options
    car4flcar4fl Member Posts: 6
    Solved my problem today, bought a Honda Accord for much less than the Civic due to the 1250 rebate going on right now. The buzz in the dealership was all about the deals on the Accord, so I checked it out and got a great deal. Something you might want to price for yourself.
    Good Luck!
  • Options
    What dealer, what options and what price. If you read your posting it's just like a sales persons pitch, lots of words but few facts to go on.
  • Options
    minimusminimus Member Posts: 9
    Purchased a 2002 Civic EX with side air bags and floor mats on Saturday from Autrey Locklear at Union Park Honda in Wilmington, DE for $15,000 including Dealer Prep and Handling. Tags, Registration fee and Document preparation amounted to $206.50. PA tax was $900.
    I think the negotiations started around $15,600.

I spent about 1 week talking to other dealers such as Scott Honda in West Chester, PA - we were at $15,300 the last time I talked to them, so they seemed competive and still had a good selection of Civics.

I visited one other dealer and emailed & talked to others. Just about each time I visited a dealer, they were willing to beat the other guy's price by $150 to $200. Just talking to a dealer over the phone or via email proved fruitless. I suggest putting up with the hassle of visiting more show rooms and talking to a salesperson.

I'm not sure that I really hit rock bottom with my deal although Union Park said they made a mistake and were actually losing money on it. My guess is that this was just a way of "sinking the hook" into me. Who knows, but I was also getting a little concerned that finding a Civic with the right color etc. was going to get a little tougher. On the other hand, it sounds like the 2003 Civic is still 2 to 3 months off, so I think the deals will get even better in a month's time. I know the Dealer Cash of $250 is due to end in September, but I wouldn't doubt that it will be increased soon after. With the 2003 Accord due out next month, the dealer cash is $1000. Maybe this will happen for the Civic??? Good luck with your purchases!
  • Options
    Great posting got me in the right frame of mind to get a better deal...Thanks
  • Options
    I was told that the list price for a 7 year, 100k mile extended warranty on a new Civic EX was $1,450. If I bought it in conjunction with LoJack (or some other insurance deal that I can't remember the name of) the extended warranty would be discounted to $950. (I think you can probably get it discounted anyway)

With a young son getting ready to drive the car into the ground over the next few years, it seems like a bargain.

The warranty is assignable, so if I go to sell the car in 6 years, we can pass along 1 year's worth (or the balance of mileage up to 100k) onto the next owner. It seems like this in itself would allow us to sell the car at a much higher price, maybe covering the $950.

Another nice aspect is that if you wreck your car, or sell it, you can receive back the prorated, unused portion of your warranty. You don't lose it all. This certainly works in the dealer's favor for the first 3 years/ 36,000 miles, but afterwards, with a few covered repairs, I think it starts to swing the other way. Now, it seems real nice to put off purchasing the warranty until you're about to reach that 3-year/36,000 mark, but I doubt you'll get it discounted as much if at all then. Plus, you have to come up the $1,450 in cash or finance it some other way. I decided to do it up-front so that it would be wrapped into the 4.9% loan.

Of course none of this makes sense if you are leasing and the term of the lease is less than or equal to the standard 3-year, 36,000 mile warranty. Even it the lease is a bit longer, I wouldn't expect repairs on a Honda in the 4th year to be anywhere near $950.

Well, that covers my thoughts on the extended warranty. Anybody have some advice about the extended warranty or LoJack?
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    Bought a new honda civic 2002 lx a/t. the warranty i got is the one with 10/1000,00 miles
    for $750.00 with $0 ded. it covers bumper to bumper 7/84,000 and 3/16,000 eng/trans/axels. they were good as for the price of the car so since the honda standard warranty is very (so not good).I know people talk about how good honda is but in ten years I KNOW SOME THING WILL BREAK.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • Options
    I was told you have up to one year to enter into the extended warranty program. If a Honda needs it sooner than that were in big trouble. Consumer Report says that the highest price is from the dealer. If you do a web search, like on Google the companies are rated, they have one site "Extended Warranty Review" good place to start. Try www.extended-warranty.info
  • Options
    I will be getting prices today.
  • Options
    You can get a decent price on a Honda warranty from several dealers, post a question on the Odyssey thread and someone can direct you. I'd avoid buying an outside warranty.
  • Options
    Best prices so far are from www.honda-warranty.com. Local dealers are telling me to just buy it there for that price :)
  • Options
    justplanenutsjustplanenuts Member Posts: 2
    Today I bought my first new car, the bullet-proof (knock on wood) Honda Civic LX. I bought it from Curry Honda and paid the following:
    Price: $13,500
    Destination Charge: $460
    Documentation Fees: $380
    Tax, Tag, Title: $860
    7yr./100,000 Extended Warranty: $1,250 (I don't want any problems for next seven years, period)
    Gap Insurance: $500
    APR: 4.9%

Did I get a decent deal? Was the extended warranty and gap insurance a scam? Dealership was great. Highly recommended. Sidney Williams was the salesperson. It was the last black 2002 they will get. I think they threw in mudguards... I guess. Anyways, I'm happy and I am looking forward to some rewarding Honda ownership. I've bought a brand new Honda motorcycle before and loved it. Hopefully, the Civic will be the same. Any comments or post-sale thoughts would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Documentation Fees: $380

You got robbed on this fee. It's what the dealer charges to prepare the paperwork involved with transfering title of the vehicle to you. I've been talking with 3 dealers about an '02 Civic LX Coupe. Initially the Documentation Fees quoted by each dealer ranged from $40 to $99. When I challenged the $99 amount that dealer dropped it to $70.

Gap Insurance: $500

What does this cover and why would you need it?
  • Options
    redman777redman777 Member Posts: 1
    I need some help/education on getting the best deal in NW Washington state. I see most of you'll are located either out east, Texas or SoCal. What would be a reasonable offer to request on this vehicle? Cardirect shows $250 over invoice in my area, but they seems to blowing out the accords. Most likely due to the model change. It'll be very frustrating to be stuck having to by at this price knowing what others are getting. Help, thanks
  • Options
    Well I'm bummed out. I thought the HondaCare extended warranty that I bought for my EX was a pretty good deal at $950. But now I followed danix's advice and checked the web site. (www.HondaWarranty.Com) The web site sells the same coverage for 880.00 less a 75.00 promotional discount that they immediately send you in an email. So the dealer's discounted price was $145.00 over HondaCare's price. Plus, the penalty for putting this off for a couple of years seems to be virtually nill. I guess I'll have to run out of gas and call them for the free 4 gallons of gas a couple of dozen times to get even. ;)
  • Options
    If you bought the warranty at the dealer, you can turn it in for full value within 30 days, and I think you can even do so for a while.
    Sure you can buy the warranty any time before the std warranty is up, but the hedge is that the warranty may go up if you purchase it later. I think they also prorate it if you have a certain amount of miles.
  • Options
    justplanenutsjustplanenuts Member Posts: 2
    Sucks for me! Dealer after much negotiation refused to drop the documentation fee. I know what it is for but they simply wouldn't drop it. The Gap Insurance is to make up the difference between what I owe and what the car is worth in the event that the car is stolen, totaled, etc. and the insurance company only gives me book value. I've heard this is a good thing to have. As far as the extended warranty is concerned I am debating returning it. I am getting differing opinions on all sides as to whether I should even have it and as to whether I paid too much ($1250). Anyone have any comments?
  • Options
    As far as the extended warranty is concerned I am debating returning it. I am getting differing opinions on all sides as to whether I should even have it and as to whether I paid too much ($1250). Anyone have any comments?

Return it, you paid too much for the extended warranty. www.hondawarranty.com shows the cost of 7 yr/100k miles/0 deductible insurance for a Civic sold after 8/29/2000 as $880.

Whether you even need it is up to you. While Honda's are very reliable there are no guarantees that something won't break after the regular warranty expires.

Personally, I carry mechanical breakdown coverage on my '99 CR-V through my auto insurance company. It supplements the Comprehensive & Collision coverage for 7 yr/100k miles with a $250 deductible for less than $45/year. Cheap peace of mind, even if I never use it.
  • Options
    jfigueroa1jfigueroa1 Member Posts: 209
    I bought my civic lx last satuday and i paid 780 or so and it cover 10/100,000 miles well 7/84,000
    the whole car but brake shoes,and 3/16,000 eng/trans/axels, with no deductible.I figured that in that time something will break, a car with so many moving parts sure it is going to break plus all will be done at honda dealer with honda parts.
    Greetings from sunny Miami.
  • Options
    dcd4dcd4 Member Posts: 1
    Congrats to those of you who got the 2002 Civic EX 4-door automatic for $14998, $16,400 out the door. Please answer me this: Does that $16,400 include tax? I was given a quote of $16,400 BEFORE tax, and I need to know if that's too much. And you did say you got it at Woodland Hills Honda, right? Thanks!
  • Options
    We purchased the Civic EX, 4 door, automatic, with side air bags at McNatt Honda in Lewisville Tx. The sticker price was $18,520 same as Edmunds MSRP,Invoice $16,964, TMV $16,958 again from Edmunds, we gave $16,653 then add TTL. We did purchase the extended warranty at the dealership. 7yr/100k with 0 deductable for $725. I called every dealer went in person to at least 7 in the DFW area. McNatt did offer the best price on the model she wanted. The extendend warranty price was $80 less than www.hondawarranty.com. Now when you post your better price be sure it's not a DX or a manual be sure it has side air bags and 4 doors. Please name your Dealership. I worked with Bryan Bergero and Ray Revees. I'll save you a step the number is 972-221-8611.

Good luck hunting the right deal.

If you talk to them tell them John the guy who really wanted the Hybrid and was a pain in the butt sent you. $25 to me for the referral. I'll split it. Boy am I cheap!
  • Options
    doozenbergdoozenberg Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased an EX 2-door automatic with side airbags for $15,581 (destination charge included) before tax and licensing in Northern California. Invoice, according to Edmunds, is $16,508. So right now at least, I think I got a pretty good deal on the car itself.

I got LoJack for $495 (after a good 45 minutes dragging it down kicking and screaming from the proposed $695), plus floormats thrown in with that.

I also managed to get the 7 year/75,000 extended warranty for the same price listed on the web for $750 (down from a proposed $995). But after reading about the email discount offer after-the-fact, I am now mourning the additional $75 I could have shaved off. Should I go back and demand the extra $75 off? I found it awfully hard to get the F&I person to even meet the web's price.

Did I get a good deal as it is, or should I be a scrouge and get another $75 off? This was my first time purchasing a car, so any further suggestions or criticism is welcome.
  • Options
    You can cancel the extended warranty at any time. You should go back and ask to at least split the difference if not get the entire amount.