Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Accord Quality Control Issues

Comments

• ray_h71ray_h71 Posts: 212
    For anyone willing to wade through the techno-babble, here's a link for the downloadable files.

http://www.chevron.com/prodserv/BaseOils/papers.shtml

Also, ChevronTexaco's sprawling lubricating oil base stocks plant is in Richmond, California, not Freemont, as posted above.
  • knapp3knapp3 Posts: 112
    For those of you so inclined to use this weight, this oil is on sale at my local Kmart this week for $1.29 qt. It's had some favorable used oil analysis reports over at Bob's site. Like the other previously mentioned brands, it has some group III oil in it according to the msds. Anyway, just wanted to mention it for those of you who only read the Sunday comics (like me) and not the ads if you wanted to check your local store. :)
  • dholtedholte Posts: 4
    I just purchased a 2003 Accord EX L Sedan. The 6 disc CD player does not work. I didn't think to try it out before I purchased it. The dealer is trying to order a new radio/cd player but it has been 3 weeks now & no word on how much longer it will be backordered. I just wanted to warn everyone out there to be sure and check things out thorougly BEFORE you sign the papers!

When a CD player is put in the LCD just displays ERR.
  • I just saw this link about a potential problem with the 2003 Honda Accord V-6 and a starting problem:

http://www.petitiononline.com/03Accord/petition.html
  • spjdkkspjdkk Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2001 Honda Accord LX. I have owned nothing but Hondas since 1986. However, this car and I seem to have bad Karma! The transmission broke just after 21,000 miles. There is info. on Honda's home page about this matter.

I was shocked when the transmission broke, but I got it replaced free. I was greatly inconvenienced because it happened Christmas Eve.

The dealer was NOT going to offer me a rental car, and had the audacity to tell me I was crazy. They had never had a problem with this vehicle. I showed them the (Not recall, but almost recall) piece on Honda's home page, telling of the possible problem with the transmission on this car, and the Passport and another model. So, when they checked the car out, this crazy woman was right. I don't know what they put in there. It was probably a re-manufactured part, but I have a warranty on the transmission.

After I called Honda Customer Service, they did get me a rental car. NOW, HOWEVER, the trade-in value of my car is very bad because the new transmission is not part of the original car, and it can not be certified as a used Honda car with the extended warranty. Is this my fault?? Honda offered me a $500 rebate on a new trade-in. However, I owe a million dollars on this car already.

Now I find out that the seal around the windshield is coming loose. And yes, I do have a strange squeaking noise in my car.

Last winter, I took it into the garage three times because there was a strange smell that came into the car when the heater was on. The smell had the aroma of anti-freeze. They could find no problem.

The value of my car is not good.

Maybe I should call Honda again and ask them if they will give me more on a trade-in.
    Any ideas?

Anybody have any ideas?

I was disappointed because Honda is such a reputable car company. They said no company is ever responsible for helping out a victim. Sure, your car is devalued because of our poor quality control, but we don't care, because we make a million dollars, and drive other models, or get a different car to drive every day. Even the maintenance people were creeps. They got a bit nicer once I, the customer, called Honda directly.

Any comments or ideas would be appreciated.
    Thank You.
  • anonymouspostsanonymousposts Posts: 4,202
    Have you actually tried to trade the Accord in? Have you taken it to a place like Carmax who will just buy your car?
  • Here are some very interesting statistics:

HONDA RECALL SCOREBOARD
    1990 thru 2003 Model Cars
    as of MARCH 10, 2003

It seems as if quality is going down since 1990:

2003 Model Cars Recalls
    PILOT 1
    2002 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 1
    CIVIC 1
    ODYSSEY 1
    2001 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 3
    CIVIC 7
    INSIGHT 1
    PASSPORT 2
    2000 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 10
    CIVIC 5
    CR-V 1
    ODYSSEY 8
    S2000 5
    1999 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 4
    CIVIC 3
    CR-V 3
    ODYSSEY 10
    PASSPORT 1
    PRELUDE 3
    1998 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 6
    CIVIC 4
    CR-V 3
    ODYSSEY 3
    PASSPORT 5
    PRELUDE 3
    1997 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 5
    CIVIC 3
    CR-V 2
    ODYSSEY 3
    PRELUDE 3
    1996 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 2
    CIVIC 3
    PRELUDE 1
    1995 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 2
    PASSPORT 1
    1994 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 1
    CIVIC 1
    PASSPORT 4
    1993 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 1
    CIVIC 1
    1992 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 1
    CIVIC 1
    1991 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 2
    CIVIC 1
    PRELUDE 1
    1990 Model Cars Recalls
    ACCORD 2
    CIVIC 2
    PRELUDE 1

See this link for more information:

http://mycarstats.com/Top10s/recalls_HONDA.asp
    Recalls aren't necessarily a sign of quality or lack thereof. I had a recall on my 98 Civic for the floor mats. I had a recall on my 99 Accord because some owners manuals were incorrect regarding tire pressure or something. Unless there are an exorbitant amount of recalls (ala Ford Focus) then it doesn't really matter. At least the manufacturer is repairing it on their dime and not yours.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,778
    For anything else and you'll find similar( usually more)recall notices.

They are usually not a big deal. In the "old days" they didn't even exist.
  • If you research the recalls, some of them were pretty serious such as the transmission problem, balancer shaft gasket seal problem, etc.
  • Be very careful when you think that a recall has something major to do with the vehicle. As other posters have stated a recal can do with floor mats and other minor things.
  • redselredsel Posts: 19
    Has anyone encountered poor alignment of body panels on 03` Accords? I recently purchased an EX-V6 sedan basically for the Wife; it is very smooth, quiet, quite enjoyable to drive (Wife loves it). I was bummed to find that the hood and trunk lid aligned poorly with fenders. Car has been at Dealer for almost a week and still is not fixed. This is our first Honda and I expected better. Have owned Nissan and Toyota, no such problem. Is this an exception? Hope so.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    Got a new Accord at cost.

I thought the balance shaft oil seal was a voluntary repair bulletin. Not an official recall.
  • paulo3paulo3 Posts: 113
    Everyone with a 5th generation Accord received a RECALL notice regarding the balancer shaft seal. It was not voluntary but required on 1994-1997 Honda Accords.
    that Honda voluntarily recalled the cars. They were not forced into it by Nhtsa.
  • bburton1bburton1 Posts: 395
    has expired-so if u did not get it done by 12/31/02-u pay for it yourself. Yeah that is what I call a class act-wonder how many other auto companies have done a recall under those circumstances. Seem to remember somethign about an ignition part failing and the vehicle immediately stopping-seems several deaths were caused and was not until the CA AG got after the manufacturer that a recall was initiated.
  • gee35coupegee35coupe Posts: 3,475
    It was a Honda sponsored repair recall. Not a governmental mandate. Just like the warranty on the transmissions. As far as other makes doing the same...Well, I haven't heard of any.
  • maxhonda99maxhonda99 Posts: 1,289
    I have a 2K Accord V6 Coupe. I had a couple of questions for people who may know this.

1) What part of the Accord's seats are actually leather?

2) My car has only 38K miles on it, and is garage kept. yesterday when cleaning and moisturizing the leather, I noticed the leather or vinyl starting to tear on the outside side bolsters of both front seats Has anyone else had this problem?
  • rbruehlrbruehl Posts: 85
    Acura/Honda

1994-97 Acura CL, Honda Accord, Prelude, and Odyssey models equipped with four-cylinder engines.
    Problem: Defective engine oil seals can slip causing the engine to drain of oil and eventually seize.

Warranty coverage: Although Honda maintains this isn't a safety recall (hmm, suden engine seizure on the highway, sounds scary to me), the company will inspect and replace the seal and install a clip to ensure the seal cannot move. There are about 1.4 million vehicles involved in this worldwide program. Repairs had been delayed due to poor parts availability.

1995 Accord V6, Acura NSX, Acura 2.5 TL; all 1996-97 Hondas and Acuras, except for the Acura Integra Type R and the Isuzu-built Acura and Honda Passport.
    Problem: Engine malfunctions cause emissions to exceed the federal norm.

Warranty coverage: In a settlement with the Environmental Protection Agency, Honda extended its emissions warranty to 14 years or 150,000 miles. The automaker has agreed to the EPA's demand that it provide a full engine check and emissions-related repairs at 50,000 to 75,000 miles and give free tune-ups at 75,000 to 150,000 miles. This means that costly engine components and exhaust system parts like catalytic converters will be replaced free of charge. It is estimated the free check-ups, repairs, and tuneups will cost Honda over $250 million. The story of the settlement was first reported on page 6 of the June 15, 1998 edition of Automotive News.

Judging by Honda's past actions in denying its responsibility for these kinds of problems, don't hesitate to complain to the EPA if you encounter a scintilla of evidence that the company won't keep its promise. Canadian Honda owners are out of luck.
  • bburton1bburton1 Posts: 395
    Had two different dealers perform tests and replace parts when the CEL illuminated on my 97 I4 accord-took several several tries but after replacing several parts of the evap control system-mostly valves and the heated O2 sensor-fixed the CEL and stumbling problem. I can understand some greedy dealers not wanting to do warranty work-no profit. Oh they also replaced a ignition switch something under another "secret" IIRC warranty-apparently some small percentage of these switches are faulty.

I still remember how FMC fought a recall on their thin film ignition problem-think it was CA that ordered them to do the recall. The honda problem would make the car impossible to start-FMC's thin film ignition problem would make the car die while driving-how great would that be on a freeway.
  • inkieinkie Posts: 281
    It was very lonely on this messge board since you stopped writing us. Glad to see you are back to stir the embers. Is it allright if I call you the "Ralph Nader of Hondas" even though you now own a Toyota?
  • rbruehlrbruehl Posts: 85
    I had that information in a folder which I thought would be of interest to everyone. Sure I own a Toyota Solara now and you would also after replacing two transmissions.

By the way, the Solara has been trouble free driving so far with just oil changes. It is a very quiet car as compared to my old Accord V-6 which I hope made it to LEMON heaven. I wouldn't wish that car on anyone!

By the way, I picked up a 1984 Maxima in addition to my Solara. I got the Maxima with only 17K on the odometer! It is now my project car as it sat in a retired lady's garage since 1995.
    All of my Hondas have been trouble-free while two of our old Toyotas had the same engine problem and my fiance's mother's 87 Camry needed a new head gasket within 30,000 miles and Toyota would not pay for it. Couple of Toyota owners with the 3.0L V6 had their engine seize within 20,000 miles and Toyota would not pay for it. So while the transmission recall within Honda isn't an ideal situation, they are not alone. And the most important part is they are paying for the transmissions not the owners. Bet a couple of Toyota owners would've loved to hear the phrase "there's a serious problem..but it's covered under warranty".
  • talon95talon95 Posts: 1,110
    This is kinda ancient history, but shows that Toyota can be pretty nasty to their customers as well.

My cousin and her husband bought a new '84 Corolla. That particular model began to exhibit a somewhat high % of problems in the automatic transmission (this was the first FWD Corolla). Within 1 1/2 years, they had a complete transmission failure and Toyota wouldn't cover it. They eventually took it to arbitration and they won. They sold the Corolla shortly thereafter and wouldn't have another Toyota if they tried to give it to them.

At least when I had the "clunk in reverse" problem with my 2000 EX V6, Honda replaced it, no questions asked, well before the whole thing became front page news. But I'm fully aware that not every Accord owner has been treated quite that well, at least before the extended warranty. Quite honestly, I think it's the dealer more than anything, and the service manager at my dealership was very supportive.
  • umyayaumyaya Posts: 123
    Someone posted about this in another thread that got closed but I have the same question. I just noticed a chip already in my 3mth old Accord sedan. I'm pissed! I've also noticed what look like little tiny orange rust spots on the lower side walls' paint. One chip may just happen, but has anyone else seen similiar things already? If there's a paint problem with this car I want to identify it early.
  • lugwrenchlugwrench Posts: 213
    This issue has been discussed numerous times and it all relates to water based paint. A water based paint will chip a lot easier than an oil based paint. In the USA, it is required by the EPA that all car manufacturers to use water based
    paint.

The cars still manufactured in Japan utilize an oil based paint on its cars. Unfortunately, if you need collison or body work in the USA on your Japanese manufactured car, you will get water based paint.
  • My Accord has also been trouble free except for the following: There was a wiring harness recall, a balancer shaft clip installed, a fuel sender unit secret warranty replacement, an airbag recall and a secret warranty regarding a buzz kit that was also installed. I am happy that I own an I-4 over the V-6.
  • mikek37mikek37 Posts: 411
    Why are you glad you own the I4 instead of the V-6? Don't say the V6 has more inherent problems than the I4. Because I think that is what you are implying.
  • with that particular list of "upgrades".

re2283 ...Hondas I-4 has proven itself repeatedly to be very long-lived. The V-6 is still working on that distinction. Only 200k-300k mile entries need apply. I'm somewhat biased as I have only had Honda 4s, but am pulling for the recent family member.
  • I am just saying that the I-4 is more reliable than the V-6.
This discussion has been closed.