Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Accord Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    jermy4jermy4 Member Posts: 8
    Well this is an out of state deal for me so yes that is out the door but I still have to pay the taxes at my local DMV.
  • Options
    master_ryumaster_ryu Member Posts: 47
    Sorry, I posted this elsewhere, but I believe this is also relevant here.

I've been eyeballing the 2008 Accord Coupe for weeks now, calling and emailing dealerships like crazy. This past weekend I got a call from one New England dealership that the car I wanted was in. (2008 Accord Coupe EX-L V6 with Navi in black). I went to this dealership on Monday (10/08) and got there about two hours before closing, saw the car, test drove it, and was offered a full $1000 off MSRP as part the holiday weekend sale. $1000 off on a brand new 3 day old 2008 top-of-the-line Accord Coupe! I would've been fine with paying full MSRP (as other dealerships aren't even budging)

I was ready to buy, when some lady customer came in to screw it all up!!!! She wanted the exact same car. The salesguy who was helping the lady kept bothering my salesguy about getting the keys to the car to let her test drive it. My salesman kept telling him that she was too late and that he got a sure buyer in me. I was about to sign a deposit check for the salesguy when the manager started to play BS & games with me. At first, he tried to change the price by claiming that the holdiy weekend sale of $1000 off the 2008 Accords was only for the sedan version. I pointed to the salesguy that the sign said "$1000 off 2008 Accords" not "Accord Sedans". The salesguy agreed with me and promised to stick with the discount no matter what. Then, when I told them I had prefinancing with a credit union, he said that the manager couldn't accept outside financing. The car was to be paid in full or be financed through the dealer if I wanted to leave with it. I asked the salesman if this was usual practice, and he said "no". They sell cars to people with their own financing all the time. However, he couldn't give me a reason why the manager wasn't letting me use my own financing. They brought in a credit application and basically gave me an ultimatum: either I finance through them or they were not selling the car unless it's paid in full. Obviously, I was pissed, let the salesman know that, and left. I could tell they wanted to give the car to the lady customer who was still inside the dealership when the doors closed. She was like a hyena, reading to spoil the kill of the lions. Ok, lame analogy, but whatever.

In truth, the lady probably offered more money or agreed to finance there. But it was unfair because the salesguy had already filled out the initial deposit agreement! This was ridiculous. Also, I couldnt help but think about the fact that I am a young Asian guy while the other customer was a middle-aged Caucasian woman. Whether or not the age and race cards were played, I was basically shoved away from buying the car right then and there.

I was angry, yet relieved at the same time. If these were the type of people I would be dealing with after having bought a car from that dealership, I think I'm better off without the purchase.

This dealership is Honda North in Danvers, Massachussets.
  • Options
    gvr4wdgvr4wd Member Posts: 23
    Arrh, you should've offered more, used their financing and backed off when all the papers were ready to be signed..... That would have taught them a lesson. Or, may be it's not too late to teach them a lesson?
  • Options
    dwynnedwynne Member Posts: 4,018
    I would not think race or gender had anything to do with it, just pure greed. She probably paid more and they stuck extra fees on her deal and did her financing and jacked up the rate on her as well. Your last laugh is that she paid a lot more than you will when you get your coupe.

Once you had told them you wanted the car and you agreed to the price, the car should have been taken off the "market" and no one else should have been allowed to drive or deal on the car. If your deal had fallen through then they could once again offer the car for sale, but not before.

Dennis
  • Options
    carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Walser Honda Burnsville
  • Options
    carlsonddscarlsondds Member Posts: 24
    Dennis-
    You think I should be able to get the EX-L V6 Accord Sedan with deck lid spoiler for 27,695 OTD (6.5% tax in MN)?

I would love it if I could, but 1k off msrp is the best anyone has gone so far.
  • Options
    Just wait, better prices will come once the "new wears off" and sales slow back down. It may be a few months, but better prices will eventually be here.

On a side note I noticed a lot more Camry ads locally since the new Accord came out - in particular they have some cheap lease deals with little down and low payments, just like Honda was doing on the 07 cars just a few months back. I guess the new Accord is flavor of the month and Camry sales are slowing - just like Accord sales did when the Camry re-design came out (and everyone new the re-do on the Accord was coming).

Dennis
  • Options
    jensadjensad Member Posts: 388
    Good advise dwynne.

Wait until late Feb 08, last two days of the month, better if it is raining/snowing. Then go to the dealer about three hours before closing and make your firm offer.

I have purchased most of my new vehicles in this way. This also usually avoids any offer-counter offer ect.

Good luck to all and stay safe.

jensad
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Any reason why February? Just really wondering.
  • Options
    nascar9900nascar9900 Member Posts: 48
    "Any reason why February?"

I have had friends at dealerships tell me Jan and Feb are typically slow months and inventory is good. People are paying off Christmas bills and getting ready for Tax Time. March and April pick up once people start cashing in their Tax Refunds and the warmer weather brings out the shoppers.
  • Options
    That sounds like good reasoning, but it seems lately that Honda has offered larger incentives later on in the year. These are Honda deals and not dealer deals.

It could be that the closed to the end of the model year they get the more motivated they get to move cars, or it may be that the net effect of slow sales at the start of the year nationwide causes the days supply of cars to rise and by the time it hits spring Honda has way too many cars on hand and has to offer nice dealer incentives to move them.

So the dealer is motivated to sell when they have a slow month, Honda gets motivated the next month (or two or three) after all the dealers report slow sales and they have kept building more cars. So waiting until Honda has dealer money would net you a better buy that just waiting for the local dealership to get hungrier - so maybe an extra month or two after would net the better deal.

Based on watching the prices and incentives, I would say waiting until March or even April would net you a better deal - waiting until Honda kicks in with dealer money AND the dealers are willing to make better deals.

Dennis
  • Options
    montyalomontyalo Member Posts: 12
    Hi Mondana,

Got my original quote of $27409 from Open Road Honda. I was then matched on that price from VIP Honda. I believe invoice price is $27404. In both instances, i spoke to their internet quote coordinators. The Open Road salesperson was awful. I'd give you names if this board allowed it. OPen Road is no at $28,409 for that same car... Best of luck with your search
  • Options
    Invoice for the 08 sedan EX-L w/nav and v-6 is $28,038 including the $635 destination charge. I would assume the numbers you are posting do not include destination. You should always post the price including destination and any dealer doc or prep fees, since it is misleading otherwise.

In any case, if you paid $27,409 + $635 and no extra dealer fees and had no trade in, then you got a really nice deal for a new 08 Accord in the current market.

It should be noted that this is for an ORDER for the car at this price and you have not actually purchased a car at this time. How good the deal ends up being depends on how long they take to get you a car and what others are selling the car for at that time. In general though, if you can get any Honda for invoice or less you have a nice deal :) .

Dennis
  • Options
    porter3porter3 Member Posts: 1
    I worked in sales at a dealership (not Honda). Believe me, negotiations to purchase depend on the mood and personality of some sales managers.Note I said some; not all. I lost sales because the SM on duty was in a bad mood and wouldn't budge off a certain price (since I knew the incentives I knew how much profit the dealer was making). These sales were lost after I spent about 3 hours with the customer letting him/her test drive several cars,determining his/her needs etc. I lost an SUV sale ($44,000 List)as an example. The customer purchased elsewhere and sent me a nice card thanking me for my help and time. Other SMs were desperate to make a deal and helped anyway they could to make my deal happen.

It's true that Dec,Jan,Feb are slow months and a good time to try to make a deal. Also, at the end of each month, the owner puts pressure on the SMs to increase sales at the month's close-out. Good Luck.
  • Options
    jaxs1jaxs1 Member Posts: 2,697
    How about a week or two before Christmas? I thinking about getting a new car around that time and using it for a road trip to visit relatives. If I can get a great deal at that time, I'll buy something. If not, I'll rent a car or fly and buy the car next year instead.
  • Options
    mppedersenmppedersen Member Posts: 25
    I purchased a 2008 Honda Accord EX-L Manual in polished metal metallic with a black interior today...

My out the door price was $25,461 and that included mud guards and wheel locks. I declined the dreaded pin stripes that were offered for "free" though.

This was about a $580 over invoice deal, figuring in the extras, roughly $400 over invoice. Maryland charges 5% sales tax plus roughly $189 for tag and title. Other quotes that came in were no lower than $25,800, plus most did not have the car type I wanted on the lot, which did not guarantee I'd actually drive one home. The process took under three hours and the sales staff was helpful to my elderly mother who was my cosigner. I had no trade in, and I took financing from my bank.

So far with 63 miles on the odometer, I'm quite pleased. It's slightly underpowered on hills, but then again I'm coming from a Ram 1500 with a Hemi and a Camry with a V6. The car handles nicely, absorbs bumps well. The stick is easy to drive, though I'm in the adjusting phase(last time I drove stick regularly was in 2003).
  • Options
    jillejille Member Posts: 6
    Would you mind telling which Maryland dealer you used? Thank you!
  • Options
    Not underpowered. You just aren't used to having to downshift use higher RPMs than a V6 or V8 on hills.
    You can't drive a 4 cylinder on hills like a bigger engine.
    190 HP is a lot of power, but you have to use high RPM to get to the power on the Accord.
  • Options
    blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    You wrote "I'm trying to get advice on how to get dealerships to come down in price on a 2008 EX-L Manual."

Please realize that manual transmission cars represent only about 5% of production. Therefore, most dealers order and stock very few of them. That leaves the dealer very little incentive to come down in price, unless one is in inventory for too long a time.
  • Options
    agie1agie1 Member Posts: 25
    Montyalo,

I am thinking to buy 2008 accord from VIP honda. They offer invoice price plus $249 doc fee for any trims by phone.
    Is this real? Are they honest? Do I need to get their quote in writing? Please let me know your experience with this dealer. Thanks.
  • Options
    crikeycrikey Member Posts: 1,041
    Makes sense to me, thanks!
  • Options
    Landmark Honda in Alexandria VA
  • Options
    Yeah, I do realize that, and the demand is equally low for them too according to my salesman.

I think the dealership might have been bumping up against holdback on this vehicle, or they want to keep their sales volumes high, and they had two of the EX-L manuals on the lot.
  • Options
    Hi Agie,

As far as I know, that is the price they are dealing at. So far the experience has been good. My price was 27,409 for the car, 635 for destination, 250 for motor vehicle charges, 250 for doc fees, 7% tax. I will let you know how good everything turns out when i actually take delivery of the car... I had an email conversation with one of their managers that discussed price. They really couldn't give me a hard time since i had that in writing. I guess it doesn't hurt... Good luck
  • Options
    Dennis,

I was feeling pretty good about sharing my experience until reading your post. Reminds me of that skit on SNL, "Debbie Downer". In any case, here are the line item figures for everyone to enjoy:

Car: 27409
    Dest: 635
    Tax: 1963
    Tire Fee: 7.50
    Motor Vehicle fee: 254
    Doc Fee: 269
    OTD: 30537
  • Options
    You are still good, adding in the destination and the dealer fee you are around $260 over invoice - which is a nice price indeed.

Dennis
  • Options
    vietviet Member Posts: 847
    Montyalo,

Was that VIP? Thanks.
  • Options
    maximusfmaximusf Member Posts: 4
    I am going to be buying an Accord on Friday. I am getting a 4 cyl. EX-L Sedan. Knowing that the invoice on this is $23,427 and the destination is $635, that bring total invoice to $24,062. I have heard from every place I have talked to that they have to included destination as part of their invoice cost because Honda passes that cost on to the dealership. So as I said assuming $24,062 is true dealer cost, my quote was for $24,200. Which is only $138 over invoice. There is a standard state doc fee of $250 and title of $40, but no dealer prep fee.

So I guess my question is, do you think this is a good deal right now...$138 over invoice? By waiting until the winter or the end of the month, how much more realistically could I save? The dealers aren't going to be selling these cars for thousands under invoice anytime soon I don't think. Just interested in your opinions.
    Thanks
  • Options
    If (big IF) your price does include the destination charge, then I don't see how you can go wrong at that price at this time.

On into the model year there will be some dealers selling below invoice even if there is no Honda dealer incentive, but that price would not be much below your price. Honda could offer incentives at any time they feel they need to move more cars, but I would expect it would be next year (March?) if they do this at all. In years past they may start at up to $300 in dealer money - again not much less than what you are paying if you price includes destination. Honda didn't come up with the really big money incentives until the new 08 models were getting closer to arrival.

They could also have some financing or leasing specials even if they don't have dealer incentives, so waiting might net a bit better deal if you are not paying cash.

The reason I say "if" they included destination is this is a dealer "trick". The give you a quote on the car that gets you onto the lot, you pick out a car, test drive, and when you go to do the paperwork - "bam" there is that destination charge on top of your price. I think they figure most folks that deep into the process will just pay it. I would walk out, but that is just me.

I always make sure, ask and double ask "does that price include destination?" and (in states other than yours "what is your dealer doc or prep fee, if any?".

Dennis
  • Options
    Thanks for your input Dennis. The quote did include destination, so at that price, I feel comfortable buying now. I can't see saving huge amounts of money if I wait, maybe a few hundred bucks, but not enough to kill the deal now.
  • Options
    iandeleoniandeleon Member Posts: 20
    How do you all know what "INVOICE" price is, already???

Edmunds and Kelley Blue Book hasn't even posted it up yet.

Unless you're talking about "MSRP" or "STICKER PRICE"...

On that 2008 Accord Coupe that I want to buy.... I'm REALLY wanting to get into that EX-L V6 now, instead of the EX-L 4 Cylinder...

I was already PUSHING it by trying to get into the EX-L 4 Cyl. "Experts" say you can afford a car that is 15-20% of your NET monthly income.... I was already about $70/month over that by trying to get into the EX-L 4 Cyl., I'd be about $120/month OVER that if I go with the V6!!!

No one will sell below "MSRP" right now...

Would I be CRAZY to do that???
  • Options
    referencing post 17614 I believe the website is www.nadaguides.com
  • Options
    iandeleoniandeleon Member Posts: 20
    Cool, only thing is...

... the Coupes' Invoice Prices aren't posted yet
  • Options
    EX-L V6 Coupe invoice Price is on cars.com:

invoice Price is: $25,642
    Dest: $635
    NAVI option: $1988
  • Options
    gotmycargotmycar Member Posts: 8
    You got a great deal. On September 21, I bought an EXL V6 Navi Sedan for $28870 car and destination + $1443.50 tax + $252.50 doc and registration = $30566 out the door price.
  • Options
    mkannaremkannare Member Posts: 2
    Got an offer for a 2007 Accord EX-L (2.4L, 5-speed automatic) for $21,000 including Destination charge. Not sure about the dealership fees. Is this a good offer?
  • Options
    acumenjayacumenjay Member Posts: 1
    I'm using the following e-mails out to dealers who have replied with out the door quotes I've requested that seem too high:

I’ve been hearing people get out the door with Navigation at the price quoted below. I don’t want to be completely unrealistic but my offer is $29,000 out the door w/out navigation.

I figured I’d lay it out there for you so we don’t waste time really haggling too much. I know it may not be doable at that price for you right now, but feel free to give me a call (cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx) if you are in a position to get rid of the car at that price over the course of the next couple of weeks and we can work on a deal. I do not really need to buy this month but would like to.

Some other information for your records:
    -I already have financing secured at x.xx% for 72 months….if Honda financing can beat that then so be it.
    -I’ll have a trade-in for us to work on: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks again for the follow up,

Anyone have success with this method. I know its a numbers game and if you catch them at the right time one of the dealers in the area may be willing to deal. Is it better to drive to the different dealers at the end of the month and offer it up in person?

I'm in the CT area so I'm not sure if my target price is realistic around here.

Thanks!
  • Options
    mackabeemackabee Member Posts: 4,709
    My opinion is that you would be a fool not to take this deal. If in fact dealers are selling brand new 08 Accords for what people are posting here than it tells me it's not selling as expected.
    ;)
    Mack
  • Options
    I’ve been hearing people get out the door with Navigation at the price quoted below. I don’t want to be completely unrealistic but my offer is $29,000 out the door w/out navigation.

I figured I’d lay it out there for you so we don’t waste time really haggling too much. I know it may not be doable at that price for you right now, but feel free to give me a call (cell: xxx-xxx-xxxx) if you are in a position to get rid of the car at that price over the course of the next couple of weeks and we can work on a deal. I do not really need to buy this month but would like to.

Some other information for your records:
    -I already have financing secured at x.xx% for 72 months….if Honda financing can beat that then so be it.
    -I’ll have a trade-in for us to work on: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Thanks again for the follow up,

Ajay, that's the old college try. Let me give you some advice . What you just sent to dealers is what was known as a "faxblast" Most if not all ended up in the circular file. Now we've advanced to the e-commerce era so things are done by e-mail but the wording of the original method of communication has not changed so your e-mail may end up in the recycle bin.

First, tone down your message. Start with a friendly Hello!image
    First rule of negotiation is: "The one that talks money first loses."image My advice would be to start like this: Hi! I am very interested in purchasing a xxxx Honda Accord EX-L with/or without navigation. I've done some research online and know there are some deals to be had to the customer that does his homework. image What type of deal may I expect from your dealership on this vehicle? I am also prepared to finance the vehicle with your store provided the rates are attractive. I also have a vehicle that I may trade or sell outright depending on your appraised value. I hope to hear from you soonest. You may contact me by e-mail or by phone at 123-456-7890 Sincerely,
    acumenjay

This is better than getting confrontational over e-mail and then trying to be their friend when you mention the trade. Good luck.
    :)
    Mackabee
  • Options
    They could be selling as expected, but they want to sell more. It is a super high volume car. They want to sell a minimum of 430,000 in the next 12 months and will sell more if possible.
    They need to get them out the door and replenished with new shipments to achieve that goal.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    What Ohio store gave you that quote?

It's not, technically, a "state doc fee," but a state limited doc fee. $250 is the maximum they can charge and turns your $138 over invoice deal into $388 over invoice deal.
  • Options
    alamocityalamocity Member Posts: 680
    Excellent advice Mackabee, and agree with your re-write completely though am curious about the dealer financing part, is that something that helps to get a lower quote than if financed elsewhere?
  • Options
    I can't get nothing past you jaxs. image Of course everyone wants to sell all they can. They are not museum pieces. But so soon after it's release and they're dropping their shorts right away? image
    Mackabee
    :shades:
    Do a search for year to date 2008 Accord sales here: image
    and see what you come up with.
  • Options
    The dealer normally gets some "fee" for doing the financing, so they may give you a little better of a deal if you say you MIGHT finance with them. You should always get pre-approved for the financing from your bank, credit union, and someone like CapitalOne before you visit the dealership. Then you can challenge the dealership to beat your rate and don't go with their money if they do not. Going in without pre-approval is like not knowing the invoice on the car or the dealer incentives, you can't get the best deal without all the info.

Dennis
  • Options
    I sell Toyotas and some Hondas on ocassion since we own both marques. A sales manager is more apt to lower the price for a customer if he knows the customer will finance with the dealership through the Parent financial arm, in this case TFS or American Honda. So they lose a couple of hundred on the sale of the car but make it back on the financing, and it gives the F$i guys/gals to pitch their extended service packages and warranties. It's not like the old days where customers would soundly proclaim "We're paying cash. I want a discount!" image We hate cash paying customers. And I mean cash, not a check from their own bank or credit union they took a loan on. We want it all, the financing, the gross, the mop & glo, rust $ dust,.etc image
    Mackabee
  • Options
    samic1080samic1080 Member Posts: 10
    Just drive home with the 2008 Accord EX-L. Got it for $487 above invoice. The dealer threw in the trunk tray, mud guards, and wheel locks for $115. The taxable total is $24,665. The car only has 5 miles on it and drives very very nicely. Its certainly a head turner. A deck lid would finish it nicely but thats for next year. I'll have more info about the car as I break it in.
  • Options
    74357435 Member Posts: 40
    hi bug 4

i would like the mystic green too with irovy/tan interior. i can not find irory/tan anywhere. not on the honda site , in the honda book , or at a dealer. please tell me where you saw that a mystic green can be ordered with ivory. i can only find black interior.
    thanks
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,950
    you tease! your search box doesn't work!

;b

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    My Bad 7435!! You are right! The mystic green does not come with ivory interior. My question . . . why the hell not???? Sometimes Honda is frustrating with their color options / or lack thereof. The mystic green would look great with the ivory interior.

I am sorry -- I was thinking of a beige metallic car that I considered before I bought my silver Accord. The beige does come with the light ivory interior and, in my opinion, looks really nice!
  • Options
    forgopforgop Member Posts: 16
    I'm looking at a '97 EX Sedan V6 with 157k miles w/ leather, moon roof, new tires and battery, and everything is in great working condition. The car comes with all maintenance records from someone very anal retentive about maintaining their car.

The asking price is $3500. Doesn't this seem like a steal?