Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    edited August 2011
    purchased a 2012 elantra gls base model today with auto tranny,i-pod cable,floor mats,and trunk net for cargo for $17,200.00 plus TTT and dealer fee's..msrp was $18,500.00..not a bad deal if you ask me....car is black exterior with the beige interior and it looks great with this color combo.
  • Options
    sflaboysflaboy Member Posts: 1
    I just purchased GLS MSRP $19,150, paid $18,800 plus dealer fee... NO one would budge except Deerfield Beach... STAY OUT OF COCONUT CREEK
  • Options
    atlanticoneatlanticone Member Posts: 19
    You might as well save the trip. The lowest anyone can possibly go is $18000 on an $18990 car. There is no dealer cash as of yet and the invoice is $18600. There is no room to move and with the inventory levels so low across the country, it will be hard to find a dealer willing to negotiate much right now.
  • Options
    i was just at coconut creek hyundai last weekend and they gave me the run around as well.they added a 3000 adm fee to the 2012 elantra gls with the prefered package which brought the total price to $22,000.00...they would not budge from this price including the adm fee saying that the car is selling like hot cakes and that if i don't want to pay the price than there will be somebody to replace me who will since the elantra is selling like crazy.i said see ya....finally purchased 2012 elantra gls without the prefered package at lehman hyundai in north miami,fla for $17,800.00...msrp was $18,500.00....
  • Options
    anandchicagoanandchicago Member Posts: 10
    do they tack destination fee on top of it.. i got a quote for elantra gls base for 17600 But with TTL+destination... I had received a quote for sonata earlier with no destination.
  • Options
    Sandman6472Sandman6472 Member Posts: 6,971
    edited August 2011
    We bought our kids '08 Accent there and had a pretty decent experience...not so much when the other girl wanted an '09 Elantra. Pass by their shop daily and saw a whole new shipment of Sonata's out back but no new Elantra's and that's what the wife is considering as her next ride. I've told her that we need to wait until at least March of 2012 when, I hope, the supply will finally outstrip the demand as I won't pay an admin fee and would want to be closer to invoice than msrp. If not, she said she'd gladly get a new Mazda 3, as we've had pretty good luck with it as it just passed 92k.

Funny, last month in Orlando, we saw a ship load of Elantra GLS base models as rentals. Maybe Hyundai should concentrate on getting more units to their dealers since it's so popular!

The Sandman :) :sick: :shades:

2023 Hyundai Kona Limited AWD (wife) / 2015 Golf TSI (me) / 2019 Chevrolet Cruze Premier RS (daughter #1) / 2020 Hyundai Accent SE (daughter #2) / 2023 Subaru Impreza Base (son)

• Options
    well folks iam on my 3rd day with my new 2012 elantra gls base model with auto tranny and so far according to the trip computer on the car iam averaging 26.5 MPG in city driveing.not bad for the first tank of gas and pretty close to the 29MPG as stated on the sticker.as the car breaks in the mileage will get better and i will hopefully be able to achieve the MPG figures as stated on the price sticker.great car overall and it really feels like iam driveing a much more expensive car than it really is.mine is black exterior color with the 3 tone color scheme interior consisting of beige,black,with silver accents through out which really looks nice..i will continue updating as i get a further feel of the car...steve
  • Options
    after haveing owned this car for several days now,i can now see why this car is in such short supply and selling for near or at full msrp..it has the looks,features,warranty,gas mpg,handeling,performance,at a reasonable price..i went to get gas yesterday and this guy and his wife walked up to me while i was filling up the car and was admiring my car and offered to purchase the car from me on the spot for $19,000.00 cash..i paid $17,900.00...he said that he can't find any elantra's anywhere.i said i just purchased the car a few days ago and that i enjoy it and that iam not interested in selling it but i do appreciate his offer and compliments on the car...when your hot,your hot.....
  • Options
    im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    A couple of our competitors have been doing that...

"XYZ Hyundai is $700 less than you".

Then we get a call back......

I know you guys hate to hear it, but at my store, in the northeast, we're not discounting any Elantras, On the other hand the longest any Elantra has lasted on our lot in months is about 3 days, including a Sunday.

I'd be very skeptical of prices $2k off of MSRP.... there's not that markup in the car.
  • Options
    marshmontmarshmont Member Posts: 4
    I am awaiting delivery of a new Elantra GLS with pref pkg.
    MSRP 18970
    Price 17970

Using Edmunds find a dealer price I managed to receive 2 quotes for $1K under list, 1 via email and another with a phone call. But you have to be willing to drive a bit. I'm in NH and the local guys in Manchester would not touch this price. In fact, I have found that to be true for the previous 3 cars I have bought. So I will have to drive 40-50 miles to sign the papers but then they will deliver the car to my local town hall where I can register it. 1 trip.

The car is in extremely high demand so in highly populated urban areas the car is going for list. Its very hard to find an automatic on the lots period.

I have found that making offers via email (or phone) is much easier than facing the gang at the dealership's lair.

One thing to note, there is a $500 customer cash bonus so any dealer unwilling to go that far under MSRP is price gouging IMO but many are. The dealers are not even telling customers about that incentive and act shocked when you point it out to them.
  • Options
    It's dealer cash, not a rebate.

2 Elantra GLSs came in last night, as of noon today both are delivered.
  • Options
    that was quick!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    its listed on this web site as $500 customer cash rebate so I'm not sure what you are saying. Please read Elantra incentives and rebates. Its quite clear. Any dealer NOT taking this off the MSRP is hiding something from the customer. Let the buyer beware.
  • Options
    boltguyboltguy Member Posts: 94
    I wonder if they're talking about this. Where you put $500 into this account, then it's "matched" when you buy a Hyundai.

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/savings-matching.aspx
  • Options
    rbrb10rbrb10 Member Posts: 1
    the guy that bought it for 16900 needs to post some proof, its unbelievable of a price. been shopping around Thats a big difference from everyone else.
  • Options
    maybe he got a elantra gls base model with the 5sp for $16,900.00....according to edmunds,this car can be purchased for invoice of around $16,782.00......includeing the comfort package......
  • Options
    psgame2kpsgame2k Member Posts: 36
    For some reasons, not a lot of people know about this downpayment matching program from Motozuma and Hyundai. Please read more about it on

http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/savings-matching.aspx

https://www.motozuma.com

I did not buy an elantra. But I bought a Santa Fe from San Jose, CA. This program is real. Just put $500 into your motozuma account and hyundai will give you $500 (total $1000) for downpayment when purchase new vehicle.
  • Options
    zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    Yes, I also did this when buying our Elantra in April - worked fine - only thing is, I guess you have to wait 30 days between signing up and using it. But it was legit.
  • Options
    shoot, I missed out on this, assuming you really do have to wait, since I just bought the car last week. I wish dealers were more forthcoming about these things.

Aside from this, I'd like to tell folks shopping for an Elantra to just be patient and deals can still be made. Given the high demand and short supply, if you want one the same day you walk into the dealership you can expect to pay close to sticker price and maybe more in some places.

I found that even when presenting Autofair of Manchester NH with a quote from another dealership they refused to budge. Starting the next day and several thereafter I received phone calls from them still wanting my business. I suspect I could have ended up with them coming close to matching but I had already committed elsewhere for $1000 under sticker. Its this annoying, even childish game they play that I wish was not part of the car buying experience.

Even though I had a long drive to sign the papers, the dealership (Herb Chambers in MA) was willing to drive the car up and saved me the extra trip. I received very good treatment there and it was very worth the $1000 I saved. I did have to nag them and hold them to a delivery date after which I would cancel my order but they did deliver in the end. I was told by a few places that you can be put at the end of the list if your price is lower than others so just beware of that as well. I waited 1 week for a car that was "in transit."

And one more thing. If you are buying a Limited, I found dealers willing to go further than $1000 under sticker.
  • Options
    fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    Thanks for this. The new Elantra is on my wife's short list. I'll tell her about the offer.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • Options
    largo3largo3 Member Posts: 4
    I live in South Fl, what were the extra such as dealer fees, etc. Also what dealership gave you that deal/
  • Options
    well folks,i have had my car for about 2 weeks now and here are my impressions.first of all i recently came back from a 400 mile road trip where i averaged according to the trip computer in the car 43.4 mpg on the highway.not bad for the 2nd tank of fuel..city mpg was around 26.3 and this was with the a/c going all the time..i can understand why these cars are going for full msrp or close to it..it has the build quality,features,and performance,and looks and mpg that rival cars that cost thousands more at half the price..i have a friend who just spent over 40,000.00 on a new audi and he says that my car's interior with the beige,black,and silver accents,looks nicer than his car..the elantra is a whole lot of car for the money.
  • Options
    Sure thing. I want everybody to get this deal. Keep in mind that the matching is for downpayment and only good at the time of purchase. So you will have to finance the vehicle through Hyundai.

I also suggested Motozuma to shorten the 30-day policy to 3-day. But not sure they will change it.
  • Options
    zebzeb Member Posts: 57
    FWIW I did not have to finance through Hyundai to get this match.
  • Options
    sarah_janesarah_jane Member Posts: 5
    I reviewed the eligibility information and it all seems doable. It looks like a great deal given that they don't have any incentives right now beyond the typical stuff, and probably won't offer any soon with the popularity of the Elantra.

I am a little confused by the Motozuma "social savings" website though - what is it about? I assumed the deal was thru a bank or something, but it wanted me to link to it and send my page to people to ask for money and I certainly don't want to do anything like that. Is it as simple as setting up an account, depositing some money, and forgetting about it until I am ready to buy and mentioning it at the dealership?
  • Options
    rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Steven:
    I'm interested in an Elantra, but I've heard that road noise can be loud. How was it on your 400-mile trip? If it was fairly quiet, then the Elantra goes to the top of the list, right next to the Sonata. Thanks, Bob D.
  • Options
    efpat4efpat4 Member Posts: 5
    Bob D,

I've driven my new elantra 2500 miles already. Several long trips. The noise level is fine. But most of the time the windows are closed with radio on.

I love the car and am glad I got it.
  • Options
    bob,i really didn't notice any exessive road noise that would have been very noticable that would have made me annoyed.in fact,before i purchased the elantra i test drove a mazda 3 which had a ton of road noise which is why i decided not to purchase it.i also test drove a sonata and felt the elantra was much quieter and looked nicer and got better mpg..about the mpg,on my way back from orlando i averaged 43.3 mpg on the highway according to the trip computer in the car..not bad for the first few tanks of gas.
  • Options
    sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Yeah, I don't know what this mysterious "road noise" is that people keep complaining about. I've had my 2011 Elantra since March 25th...never heard anything even remotely annoying!
  • Options
    mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    Heard a tire noise, wasn't excessive or anything, untill they repaved I-85, now nice, quite an smooth. Bought my 2011 Elantra on April 19th..
  • Options
    rdillierrdillier Member Posts: 71
    Steven/efpat4/Sarah2175/mikeystoy5:

Thank you all for your input. I'm torn between the Sonata and the Elantra. Seems like the Sonata is only a grand or two more in my area (Mrrrrlund, between Bawwlimrrr & D.C.), but I really like the Elantra's size. I'll test drive both. The only "negative" thing I've heard about the Elantra is that it let in some road noise. Don't imagine it could be any worse than my 93 Nissan Maxima. And at my advanced age, I probably won't hear it anyway. ;>
  • Options
    I would say it depends on your budget. An Elantra with preferred pkg, floor mats, and cargo net lists for 18950 (I bought for 17950). A Sonata with floor mats and cargo net lists for 21605. That's a 2655 difference in list price although given the higher demand for Elantras you can make up some of that difference but you're still looking at a higher priced car. Also, cost of ownership will be higher with gas mileage not as good, insurance premiums higher, and registration fees higher. But in the end, if that does not break your budget then go for the Sonata. Its a bit more car than the Elantra.

btw, I own a Civic and a new Elantra. The Elantra is quieter and has a softer ride. I prefer the Civic's steering though. Very different feel for 2 cars competing in the same class.
  • Options
    johu1johu1 Member Posts: 1
    Went to the Hyundai dealer in San Francisco last week to find that they are still charging $2K dealer markup on the Elantra. So $20.8K is what they charge for a 2012 GLS with preferred pkg.

A bit ridiculous. I'll be visiting other Bay Area Hyundai dealers this weekend. If they all charge the same, silly $2K dealer markup, I'll wait it out 'til the '12 Mazda3 w/SKYACTIV and '12 Subaru Impreza are released, both of which will likely be funner to drive while getting great MPG.
  • Options
    one more thing to consider when deciding between the elantra and the sonata.the elantra has much better resale value and mpg than the sonata although with the high demand for the elantra there will be deals to be had on the sonata.good luck either way....
  • Options
    bartmobile2bartmobile2 Member Posts: 1
    Wow. I had the same experience in SF, so I just had to post. I was able to locate the exact car I wanted for MSRP (which I was willing to pay for such a high demand car) at Central Valley Hyundai in Modesto. I used AAA's member car buying program and worked with the internet manager and an equally great salesperson. The price and car were exactly what was represented over the phone/Internet. We received excellent service and it was well worth the drive from the Bay Area!!
    :shades:
  • Options
    after haveing owned my 2012 hyundai elantra gls base model for a few weeks now it's easy to see why this car is in such high demand and selling for at or close to msrp.it has the looks,build quality,style,features,performance,mpg,and warranty that rivals cars costing thousands more at a real bargain price.got mine for $18,000.00 and dealer threw in free window tinting,pin stripes,ect....car rides,looks,and feels as if i spent thousands more than i did....
  • Options
    I think the idea of "social savings" is mainly intended for young adults, ie. recent college grads. It allows family members like grandparents to help out on the downpayment. There is no restriction or requirement who contribute money to your Motozuma account.

I signed up the Motozuma account in early July; never put any money in it. Well I was not 100% sure I would buy a hyundai car. There is no sense to put money into the account and then end up deciding to buy another brand.

I negotiated the selling price with a few hyundai dealers. When got the right price from a dealer, I just put $500 to Motozuma account using my credit card. The account would show $1000 instantly. The next day, I printed out the Fund Certificate and brought it to the dealership.
  • Options
    sarah_janesarah_jane Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the information! I didn't realize that you just had to have the account open for 30 days, as opposed to have $$ in it for 30 days.

In the terms and conditions, it states that it is to the discretion of the dealership to accept this incentive/honor the matched savings deal. Now that I'm looking at the incentives sections of local Hyundai dealerships I don't see it listed on any....Did anyone run into issues with dealerships refusing to accept funds through Motozuma?
  • Options
    Personally, I think the 30 day rule is a bit silly. If people found out about this program just now and sign up an account, they have to wait 30 days. A lot of things can change in a month.

I don't see why some dealership would refuse to accept Motozuma fund matching. This is obviously a great deal for hyundai buyers, especially if you are shopping for hot selling car like the elantra. And this is NOT a dealer discount.

The general sales manager at the hyundai dealership, where I purchased my car, did not know much about this Motozuma matching. He was very excited to learn about it too; and he said he would buy a hyundai using the match fund.

No harm to ask the dealers about Motozuma match before making the purchase.
  • Options
    mweathersmweathers Member Posts: 15
    edited September 2011
    For a few months now I've been researching my new car. I owned a 2003 Mazda 6s 5 sp that initially was a great car. But over the last few years I've been putting way too much money into it. I had over 130,000 miles and just 3 weeks ago I broke down on the side of the road. $700 repair, and it still had issues. So I knew it was time to get a new car. I test drove the 2012 Civic and the 2012 Elantra, thinking the Civic would win that battle. (Could get neither car with a manual. The Honda dealership laughed when I asked about a manual Civic that wasn't the si version!). Boy was I wrong. The Elantra was better in every respect to me. I really couldn't stand the cheap appearance of the Civic dash! Not only was it cheap look, it was just dull. Funny thing though, in test driving I had to test drive the 2011 Elantra GLS, knowing I wanted the 2012 Limited. There are NO Elantras on lots anywhere in ATL. Hard to believe.

Well yesterday I got lucky. My local dealer had told me a week ago there were some 2012 on the way. I decided to stop in just to see if they had arrive, and they had not. But they were DUE to arrive late in the day. And there was one limited with the technology package coming. It was white.......Needless to say I now own that car. I got $3500 in trade for my 6, but had to pay list for the Elantra. In fact, they tried to get $800 over sticker price, but I wouldn't do that. First time I've even paid sticker!

But I have to say, so far this car is just fantastic! Everything is fantastic. The steering is VERY tight with the 17" alloys. Sound system is very good, but I wish it had a subwoofer. All in all, I just love the car so far....Of course it only has 55 miles on it! One thing I can't figure out though: it came with the Keyless Entry Fob, which is great. But there is a Key you can take out of this fob. Only problem is there is no place to PUT that key. The car has push button start/stop. No ignition switch. So, what does this key do? :confuse:
  • Options
    mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    Prolly it's for the drivers door. If you look at the door handly, there should be a key hole there.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    There is probably also a key hole inside the car, used for starting the car if the push button start fails. In some cars e.g. the Kia Soul it's in the glovebox. Check the owner's manual.
  • Options
    calimobilecalimobile Member Posts: 4
    I was recently at LAX Hyundai in Los Angeles and they only had a few of the 2012 Elantra Limited, no GLS. There were a few pre-owned 2011 Elantra GLS's with low miles (around 16k) and the salesman wouldn't go below $20k. I went to another Hyundia dealer in the Valley last week and they also had no Elantras but when they come in he said they cannot negotiate the prices. I can't imagine what they'll charge for the 2012's out here. These cars are getting to be overpriced like the Civics.

But I can see whey they are so popular; of all the cars I've considered (Corolla, Civic, Mazda3, Sentra), IMO the Elantra has the best looking interior, most comfortable seats and the best gas mileage (so we're told...not so sure now after reading the mpg thread).
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking to interview recent first-time Hyundai buyers who would consider buying another Hyundai down the road, based on their experience with the brand so far. Please email your make, model and daytime contact info to pr@edmunds.com by September 13, 2011.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    congrats on the new elantra!!!!was it worth the wait to get the car and also was it worth it to pay full msrp??if you said yes to both questions then you have a really great car....enjoy.....
  • Options
    Hyundai's warranty is already one of the best in the industry. The dealer would most likely push the extended warranty.

Is it worth paying extra money for the extended warranty, ie. bumper to bumper for up to 10 years or 100K?

Please share comment. Even better if anyone has past experience on this subject.
  • Options
    A used Elantra is a bad idea right now.

They're bringing, wholesale, within $1,000 or so of original MSRP.... Heck, I've seen a few base GLSs (18400 msrp or so) cars at auction do upper 17s to 18.

These are retired rental cars with 15k or so on them. Just not worth it IMO.
  • Options
    i guess this validates the elantra's great resale value....according to edmunds the elantra will hold 71% of it's value over a 3 year period which is better than the previous resale champ mazda 3.
  • Options
    mweathersmweathers Member Posts: 15
    After having the car for about two weeks now I must say this is one of the best cars I've owned. Paying MSRP wasn't something I've ever done, but I needed a new car and even at MSRP it was a good deal IMO. I've already got 700 miles on it (one reason for buying it was the advertised mileage). I have a pretty long drive, 44 miles each way, to work. Of that, 30 are highway miles. So far, after 2 tanks of gas I'm averaging about 33 miles per gallon. That's without the Eco turned on. So, I'm very happy with that. The NAV system is GREAT! My first. I'm still learning how to use it. Sound system is VERY good, but I wish it had a sub woofer. Don't know who makes the sound system, but it's very much like the Bose system I had in my 2003 Mazda6. MOST of the sound comes from the front speakers. Rear speakers are just okay and very low in volume when the sound is centered. Blue tooth works as advertised. Plenty of power. Steering is tighter on the Limited (mine) than the GLS. Back up camera comes in handy. The only thing that concerns me is there is NO ignition switch at all. If the push button start malfunctions, you're out of luck. Also, no spare tire. But I think that's becoming a new norm.

All in all I LOVE this car. Again paying MSRP is a first for me. But with this car I think it's worth it. :)
  • Options
    sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    It doesn't matter if the ECO button is turned on, that won't make a difference on your MPG's. When the ECO button is on, that just shows when you are getting the best fuel economy.