Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Hyundai Elantra Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• steven39steven39 Member Posts: 636
    hi folks,i have had my 2012 hyundai elantra gls for a month now and i drove it last night for the first time at night time.(i work alot during the day).and noticed that all 4 window switches illuminate which is a very nice touch.both the front switches and rear switches illuminate includeing the back seat switches.the other cars that i compared such as mazda 3,chevy cruze,nissan sentra,and corolla didn't have this feature.
  • mweathersmweathers Member Posts: 15
    Are you sure? I thought I had read that the gear changes at different times. Am I dreaming that? In any case, I'm still pretty happy with the 33 MPG I've averaged in the first 700 miles.
  • xcountryflyerxcountryflyer Member Posts: 32
    @sarah2175: I think you are incorrect. The 2012's have an eco button that changes engine/transmission patterns to boost MPGs a bit. According to Hyundai, “The Active Eco System modifies engine and transmission control for improved fuel economy by smoothing out throttle responses. By selecting the Active Eco button, drivers can realize up to a seven percent increase in real-world fuel economy.”

I'm sure it upshifts quicker at lower RPMs and is slow to downshift. Probably best to not be in ECO for spirited driving.
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    Have been looking for the past 3 months for an Elantra Limited with Tech Pkg either 2011 or 2012 but I have had no luck. Four local dealers have no (Limited with Tech) on the lots and are very hard to come by in the colors that my girlfriend wants it: Blue Sky Metallic, or Shimmering White.

One of the dealers gave me a quote for $25,135 OTD BUT for one that is Gray not the colors she wantes, in other words she's not happy that it isn't the color she wants. Other dealer has Blue Sky Metallin in Limited with Tech (JUST how she wants it) for OTD of $26,235 with best at $26k even.

Question is this: Is $26k OTD for this car too much? Given that it is such a hot seller right now (been trying to find one for the last 3 months) and on top of that in a color combo that is even harder to find.

Please guys I need your input and experiences as soon as possible.

Thanks so much for your help!

Player4
    These OTD pricing comparisons are not apples to apples since everyone lives in different places with different taxes/fees.

Really you need to put the prices before your local taxes and fees.
  • mweathersmweathers Member Posts: 15
    Got my white Limited with Tech package two weeks ago, here in ATL. I paid $23,515 plus $599 dest. charge, which is still about $500 over SRP. I THOUGHT I was paying SRP, but was decieved and found my mistake after the fact. I'll try to get that back, my I'm not hopeful. I just got lucky. I was in the dealership when a truck full of Elantra's came in. There was a White Limited with Tech package on the truck and it became mine! Right place at right time! Don't think I would pay MORE than that though. Some will show up soon. Just get in line for it. Put down a deposit on the white and you'll most likely wait about 4 weeks. Maybe less.

I LOVE mine! It's one of the best cars I've owned! Better overall than my Mazda 6 (2003). :)
  • drew11mdrew11m Guest Posts: 85
    hey im_brentwood,

I havea 2011 Elantra Limited, 10,700K. (not the one with the NAV) Do you have any idea what they are taking in for trade-in's or selling at auction for?

I am considering an upgrade to a bigger car, want to make sure I dont get hosed at the dealer.

Many thanks!
  • fushigifushigi Member Posts: 1,459
    My wife test drove a mildly used 2011 Elantra GLS (18K miles) last night as the dealer had zero new 2012s on the lot. Based on the test drive she was very happy with it and it's dethroned the Cruze as the leading candidate to replace her 2001 GLS.

As the dealer had nothing in stock and she wanted some features on the Limited, we reviewed upcoming dealer allocations. We have a quote for a Sky Blue Limited with Tech and basically everything (MSRP $23,655) but the HomeLink mirror for $23,300 + TTL or $25319 OTD. Of the $2019 in TTL, $1644 is sales tax. :cry: Frankly I'm surprised they came down from sticker at all considering they can't even keep 'em on the lot.

We just have to finish up our test drives tonight before she makes her final decision. Left to drive are the Focus & Forte, though we may drop the Forte if time gets tight. On the Forte, some features she wants require the SE package which comes with the lower-economy 2.4L engine. While the 2.4 has lots of power, it would be overkill for her. Both the Cruze & Elantra have plenty of pickup with their sub-150HP engines.
    2017 Infiniti QX60 (me), 2012 Hyundai Elantra (wife)
  • player4player4 Member Posts: 362
    The deal with me is that n dealers in the area are going under MSRP, they either are or are higher than MSRP. So far, best Ive gotten is:

2012 Limited w/Tech Pkg in Shimmering White with Beige Interior

Vehicle Price = $23,700/incl accessories
    College Grad Discount = -$500.00
    Trade-In = - $500.00 +- (subject to appraisal)
    Sales Tax = $1,808.00 (includes license and doc fee)

Balance to be financed = $24,508.00

Any opinions?
  • mikeystoy5mikeystoy5 Member Posts: 56
    I'm not sure if they still have it, but I got an extra $500 because I'm a vet. I got my GLS in april, it's a 2011 w/nav.

MSRP $20,300

Trade in $500, Vet discount $500, Paid down $500 Financed $17200 + T $ L
    Here's the Hyundai list of rebates & other finance offers: http://www.hyundaiusa.com/financial-tools/special-offers.aspx The $500 military cash is still available on all models through Sept. 30, though I imagine it'll be renewed again & again.

Right now the Elantra doesn't even get owner loyalty cash.
  • zizo2zizo2 Member Posts: 11
    Is there a lease cash on 2012 Elantras like the sonatas have?
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Oh really? Sorry about that...I didn't know. I have a 2011 and don't have that feature. Thanks for correcting me! :)
  • zizo2zizo2 Member Posts: 11
    2012 Elantra with NAV, autodimming mirror and ipod cable, MSRP 23685, I got it for 22775.

Gonna do a 36 month lease, 12k miles,

1000 down. after all been said and done i will have paid 10806.12 (inclucing taxes, fees, aquisition fee, etc) which is 45% of MSRP.
  • cdavidhesscdavidhess Member Posts: 26
    edited September 2011
    I traded in my 2011 Elantra GLS with preferred package and 11k miles for a 2012 Elantra last month. I received $16,000 in trade. The original MSRP was $18,480. I live in Rochester, NY. I paid MSRP for the 2012 GLS manual with comfort package and homelink mirror.
    Thanks forth input. That is aboutwhat I figured the trade would be

If I may ask, any particular reason you traded the 11 for the 12?
  • cdavidhesscdavidhess Member Posts: 26
    My 2011 Elantra was the first automatic I had owned in over 20 years. I missed the stick shift. My 2012 has a stick.
    Yeah, it was one of the 2012 changes. Supposedly 7% better, but I haven't seen any tests of it. The 2011's just had a light that told you were driving economically - so you were right on that part. I hope you're enjoying your Elantra!
    Totally makes sense.

I went from a manual VW Passat to the automatic transmission n the 11 Elantra. Hard adjustment, manual is just way more fun.

Nice call I say!
    hi folks,i guess when a car is hot it's hot!!!!!!!!........recieved a phone call yesterday from the salesman who sold me my 2012 elantra gls auto about a month ago..told me he would purchase it back for what i paid for it and give me a huge discount on a 2012 sonata.i said i wasn't interested.he told me that apparantly these elantra's are selling like hotcakes and they don't have any in stock at the moment.he also told me that the elantra is selling way better than the sonata and that they have a huge inventory of sonata's that they can give huge discounts on.i choose the elantra over the sonata due to better mpg and much much better resale value..
  • sarah2175sarah2175 Member Posts: 76
    Yeah, I didn't know about the new feature on the 2012's. Oh well! Yes, I am enjoying my Elantra very much. I've had it almost six months now, and each time I drive it, it feels like the first time. :)
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    Drew,

What part of the country? Also.. what color is it?

If I had to guess, I'd say that the car is worth about $19,500-20k with navi.. There's some auction results but no way to tell if they had Navi or not.

I could probably retail the car, certified, for about $22,995 I'd think if it's the right color.
    As I have said before...

USE THE CRUISE CONTROL! It makes a HUGE difference!

That's based on customer feedback.

Bill
    Indigo blue Pearl/grey

Limited no Navi

In St Louis Missouri

Thanks for tie input
  • yysyysyysyys Member Posts: 51
    edited September 2011
    2012 GLS with Preferred Package, Ipod cable, Cargo Net, Mud Gards, Mirror with Homelink, Korea made. Use AMEX car purchase service. $ 18700 + Tax at Laird Noller, Lawrence, KS
  • meepmeepmeepmeep Member Posts: 4
    I had the same experience, steven39, last night, and after the same 1 month period as you. The cabin is very pleasant at night with all the blue winky-blinkys.
  • wlbrown9wlbrown9 Member Posts: 867
    I have a deposit on a 2012 Elantra GLS auto that might be here before the end of the week. I am planning on purchasing unless something is wrong with the car once it gets to the dealer.

My current insurance carrier is Allstate (Home, Auto, Unbrella) with pretty full coverage. I sent my agent a note to see how much the Elantra would cost per 6 month policy period. Suprise... it came back 53% higher than my 2008 Saturn Outlook and 36% higher than my 2004 GMC envoy. Those were $39K and $35K MSRP vs $19K for the Elantra. My agent claims they are less expensive to insure because of the availability and cost of repairs than the Hyundai.

Has anybody else found this to be the case when insuring their Elantra?

Thinking about this, makes it even harder to comprehend. Collision and comprehensive coverage should be the big difference, not as much on UM, Med payments and Liability.

Thanks for your feedback.

Bill
    I bought a 2011 Elantra in April w/nav. I was insured by State Farm forever an I called an had them take my 2005 Tribute off an add the Elantra. NP, right, when I got the statement, it was around 85% higher every 6 months, so I checked around an got a quote fro Nationwide that put the insurance at the same price of the Tribute, so I moved over to them. About a month later, I got a notice saying that they were reducing my monthly premium by $10.00. You might want to check around and compare prices. I don't think $48.00 a month for full coverage is that bad.
    Thanks for the info. Yes, this might be the straw that makes me shop around. I've been with this Allstate agent for over 20 years. Homeowner, Umbrella and Auto, plus a life policy. There has been quite a bit of premium creep on all of them. The HO, Auto and Umbrella have different renewal dates which would make switching a pain, but it might be worth it.

They have paid 1 claim on the Homeowner policy ($4700) in all these years.

I'm going to at least make known to the agent that I'm not happy and might be looking around.

Thanks for your response.
    one reason that the elantra is higher to insure than other cars in the compact class is due to the elantra's not holding up very well in a accident.in a recent crash test results by consumer reports out of all the compact cars they tested,the elantra performed the worst with severe driver damage and body damage..the toyota corolla came in 3rd worst...mazda 3 came in 1st with little damage to driver and car which is why the mazda 3 is one of the cheapest cars to insure in the compact car class.
  • miranda200miranda200 Member Posts: 15
    We've been with State Farm since 1983. Took off a 2002 Corolla to add a 2011 Elantra Limited (no nav). I was pleasantly surprised that it only went up about $60/ year. I was expecting much more for a new car. The rate was low because of all the added safety features in the Elantra compared to a 10 year old Toyota. That includes a couple hundred/ year "accident free discount".
    I just sent the agent a message asking for quotes on comparable Focus and Cruze. I might reconsider my purchase depending on the answers I get.

I don't have the exact details on this quote from the agent. Wondering if she put something in wrong.

Then again, I think it is probably time to get competitive quotes on my complete insurance package. I think I am currently paying over $3500 a year for HO, Auto and umbrella. This could increase the total to over $4000 a year. I have avoided changing things for years, but it is probably time to look around and shake them up at the least.
    Yeah, you might want to check around. We don't have umbrella coverage but otherwise we're paying something around $2900/year for 2 cars (full coverage, 240 deduct, glass/rental) + home (w/jewelry riders). Chicago suburbs, Farmers Insurance, cars billed together, HO paid via escrow.
    Steven39,

Well, looking at the crash test on the IIHS site, the Elantra is a Top Safety Pick with Good rating in all areas. After March 2011 anyway http://www.iihs.org/ratings/ratingsbyseries.aspx?id=318

Were you talking about the crash performance on the 2011/2012 version of the Elantra? I can't find any links to that but the ones I do find show the 2011 as a top safety pick.

The federal government and the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety haven’t tested the 2012 Hyundai Elantra yet, but the 2011 model, which is very similar to the 2012, did very well in crash tests. It received the IIHS’ highest scores in front offset, side impact, roof strength and rear crash tests. These scores and the 2011 Elantra’s standard electronic stability control make it a 2011 IIHS Top Safety Pick.

Thanks for your input

Bill
    I'm not sure what is going on with Allstate or my agent. Once I get the Elantra the final pricing might change somewhat since the agent said the rates can change once they put that in vs just entering model, etc. Her final estimates for Cruze, Focus and Elantra, all in the $19-$20K range are:

Chevy Cruze - $420.96/six months
    Ford Focus - $452.86/ six months
    Hyundai- $446.46/six months

So, I'll stick with the Hyundai. I will also probably get competitive quotes on all my coverage from some major players just to see if I am being taken for a ride. I do have quite a good history with Allstate but it might not really take but a few things going wrong to see if they live up to their good hands :-).

Thanks for all the input.

Bill
    Hum. Hard to compare exactly in different locations. Memphis suburbs. 3 vehicles, 2 full coverage, $500 deduct ($300 effective with 2 years no accident), $0 deduct comprehensive, 1 Isuzu Trooper liability, med pay, UM, no collision or comp. 100,000 - 300,00 liability.

Homeowner Full coverage, $1000 deductible, $385,000 property coverage.

Umbrella takes the coverage on the cars, home, etc. up to $1,000,000. That has gone up to about $380 a year. Will consider if I really need that anymore since I don't have dependents with risky behavior around any more :-)

Thanks for all the input on the discussion today folks.

Hoping to get a call soon that the Elantra is on the lot :-)
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,789
    Compacts and sub-compacts are expensive... SUVs are cheap...

That is a general statement, but true in most cases...

It might have something to do with demographics and who owns and drives those cars..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

Thats so true about denographics. I live around 30 miles NW of Raleigh, N.C., and I haven't had a accident since 1986, or a ticket since 1991. Tha 1 horse town I live in is called Butner, and it's Bernie Madoff's new home.(Fed. prison) hahaha. Anyway, I pay just over $300.00 every 6 months, an being in your mid 60's helps to.
  • backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    I didn't think Consumer Reports actually conducted crash tests. :confuse:
    Yep. I think the person that referenced the Elantra crash rating was referring to a much older report. And it looks as if Consumer Reports reports on the IIHS crash tests.

The following indicates that 2010 Elantras made after November 2009 improved from marginal to good due to design changes.

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2010/03/new-crash-test-ratings-acura-zdx-hy- undai-elantra-and-toyota-sienna.html
  • bmichbmich Member Posts: 2
    This is all about Supply and Demand. Hyundai motors is clearly not over-stocking their lots with Elantras & Sonatas purposely. They are basically only getting a few to keep the demand high so they can ask top $$$$ and even in some cases above MSRP for the vehichle.

They know smaller cars and b/c of the crisis in Japan they can play all of us. The real question is when things settle back down in japan and civic, corrolla, and other vehichles ramp up their styling will people leave Hyundai becuase they are tired of waiting around and jump to a car then can be sold below invoice?

I had a dealer try to explain to me b/c of the Japan Tsunami there werent many Hyundai's available. I laughed and said, thats funny because most of the parts are made here in American specially Alabama, and manufacturing plant is in Egpyt and its a Korean car. Don't let any of them fool you to think that they are FLYING OFF THE LOTS. The only reason they are "Flying off the lots" is because they only put 3 or 4 on lot at a time.
    Except that's not the way it works. Hyundai corporate receives invoice minus holdback & incentives on their vehicles. All manufacturers do. It doesn't significantly impact their bottom line if cars sell for MSRP, above, or below. The only difference in revenue I can think of is incremental interest income in their finance operation.

The dealerships are the ones asking, and apparently getting, MSRP and in some cases over.

Elantras are built in Alabama or at Hyundai's Ulson plant in Korea. From the info I saw, the Egypt plant belongs to a contract manufacturer (Ghabbour Group) and build cars for that market only.

As to the Japanese earthquake (the root cause of the tsunami), it impacted not only Japanese car companies but component manufacturers. Those component manufacturers make parts that go in many brands. One of GM's trucks, for instance, was the first to have production idled due to a parts shortage.

I'm unaware of any auto manufacturer intentionally starving their dealers & customers of product. This is a different segment from, say, video console systems where it's alleged that Nintendo intentionally held production down to keep buzz high. In that market, people will easily wait or buy multiple systems. In the automotive market, if a manufacturer doesn't have product available when a consumer needs a car, the consumer looks elsewhere. Many customers are not able or willing to wait for weeks on end for the chance at a car.

It is not in Hyundai's interest at all to spoon feed cars to the marketplace. They can't gain the buzz from a Top 10 Seller list if they intentionally don't offer enough cars for sale.

And realistically, the Elantra doesn't have to hit invoice. In the Compact Cars thread I posted a comparison between an Elantra and a Cruze. Comparably equipped (both nicely loaded), the Elantra was more than $2K cheaper than the Cruze. A Cruze at invoice is thus still more expensive that an Elantra at MSRP.
    Well, I think if they could deliver more units, they would sell them. Without factory incentives, Hyundai get just about the same for each unit. Are the plants running at capacity? Extra shifts? I really don't know. A little searching found these figures for August:

Last month, the Santa Fe SUV and Tuscon crossover vehicle made the largest strides in sales percentage increase, but the stars of the show continued to be the Sonata and Elantra which sold 20.682 and 15.054 units respectively.

That looks to be almost 500 Elantras per day for the month.
  • tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    If I remember correctly the Hyundai Alabama plant was designed to build ~300K vehicles per year at capacity. At the rates the Sonata and Elantra are selling right now, they are at or above designed capacity, which is why Hyundai has to import some Elantras from Ulsan. That does not seem indicate any deliberate attempt to throttle supply. If they could build more, I am sure they would.

Matter of fact, I do remember reading an business article earlier this year that Hyundai is looking at possibly building another plant to boost capacity, but that is a few years down the road yet.
  • sarah_janesarah_jane Member Posts: 5
    I started looking for a car in April, and by May had decided 100% on the Hyundai Elantra. At the time all of my research seemed to say the Summer would be a horrible time to buy a car and to wait until the Fall. It's now the Fall and I have essentially been reading this forum and stalking Edmunds, KBB, TrueCar and anywhere else that shows trends in car sales for the last 5 months and I'm not feeling particularly positive about the current car market.

You can tell I'm in no hurry. I am getting sick of half-heartedly car shopping and I know I want an Elantra, but I also want to get the best deal possible. Can anyone shed light on when I can expect dealers to finally start offering deals on Elantras or should I just give up and put down a deposit somewhere and pay MSRP?? Help!
    Though we're only getting a small price break, my wife will be buying a '12 Elantra Limited in the next day or three. Financing through our bank just came through today & the car is expected to arrive on the dealer lot tomorrow or Monday.

Realistically you have to look at a few factors:
    1. Compact/fuel efficient cars like the Elantra are in heavy demand right now. While no one can say how long that will be the case, it may well continue through Fall.
    2. Hyundai is apparently having trouble making them fast enough to meet demand. Thus, dealers have little motivation to discount & Hyundai has no motivation to offer rebates. Hyundai isn't even offering loyalty cash on them.
    3. Nicely equipped the Elantra is already a bit cheaper than a similar Cruze or Focus.
    4. Used car prices are up a fair bit, making the difference between a new & late-model used car smaller. This means there's less incentive for a dealer to discount as lower new car prices might push their used car prices down.

I guess my point is that MSRP, or near enough to it, may simply be a good deal - or a good enough deal - already. Might you get the car for $500 less next February? Sure. But maybe not. And even if you could you will have missed out on having the car for a few months.

If you can wait another month go do the motozuma thing; it'll get you up to $500 off. http://rosenhyundai.com/Hyundai-Motozuma/
    Sarah,

I doubt that any of us Hyundai dealers are going to be seeing the supply/demand ratio change anytime soon.

Gas prices are high, the Elantra's press is only getting better, and demand is up.

If it's any consolation, an Elantra GLS in my market at MSRP is $395-405 over invoice. Granted, things may be different elsewhere in the country as ad fees may vary.
    No they aren't.

I've been in the car business for 16 years and I can assure you that with mass market brands, if the manufacturer has a choice between moving metal and dealer margins they are most certainly NOT going to take dealer profitability.

The truth is, manufacturers are generally concerned with CSI, warranty claims, and moving metal. If Hyundai could flood the market with Elantras without sacrificing quality or drawing the ire of the UAW into their plant, and thereby sacrifice dealer margins, I can assure you that they would.

From what I have heard from our Hyundai reps, the reason that they are afraid to ramp up production any further is that they are concerned with quality slipping, they'd rather move less cars than start slamming them together. To be fair, I gotta say that I admire this.
    Assuming no paintwork.. the car should fetch $17k on trade I'd think.

The market on these is very funny right now, they are bringing huge prices at auction, but on the coasts. Also, the majority of those selling at auction are being exported. To where I have no idea but the Hyundai dealers that I talk to sure arent paying $1k back of original MSRP on them to resell.

If you own the car outright it might make sense to try a private sale.. I'd ask $20,900/bo and you should get $19,500-20k I'd think.
    It seems to me that the dealers could drop $500 to 1k off of MSRP, because their still getting the holdback an advertising fees from the manufacturer. I say this because the dealer I bought my 2011 from took $1600 off of MSRP to make the sale, plus I put $1500 down. I do have the paper work to prove this, so maybe it depends on the area you live in, as to what kind of deal you get.