Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda CRV problems

Comments

• Options
    barnonebarnone Member Posts: 118
    Invoice price for a 2001 SE is $21,273 (listed here in edmunds) --> destination charges included.
    MSRP is $23,240 --> the price your dealer sells you?

funny...

• Options
    rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    If you want that 2001 crv se--and as barnone has said the invoice is 21,273, if you're comforatble with 21k, offer the dealer that. What have you got to lose? He says he wants to move it, so see if he's serious. If he's had it on his lot most of 2001, he needs to get rid of it.
    If it was me I might offer him 20k or 20,5, and worst case, might end up at 21k.
    And if possible do it through email, more convenient for you than having 5-6 phone calls where he keeps you on the phone and tries to get you to raise your price.
    Good luck
  • Options
    ccapsuperccapsuper Member Posts: 4
    2 questions in one. I have a '99 CRV. It began making a ZZZZ sound (like zippping a zipper real fast)when the steering wheel rolled back from a 90 degree turn. This started with the cold weather and I associated it with this. I took it to the dealer and after consulting with their "tech" people they called and said they would put in a new rack and pinion (don't know spelling on this), which would take the better part of the day. I took my car in at 8:15a.m. and they called at 11:00 a.m. to say it was ready. Can it be done this quick? They told me the times for labor "vary". Also, does anyone know any more about this sound than the dealer has told me? The car has 36,000 miles on it. Thanks for any insight.
  • Options
    kathy21kathy21 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    My 2000 CRV has 34,000 miles on it. I bought it new from Carorder.com and the first "problem" seems to be the arm or whatever it is that keeps the tailgate from swinging open too fast or too far. Its spring is sprung, or whatever
    I guess my questions are
    1) How do I replace it? (I added many of the accessories myself)
    2)Does the new car warranty cover this?
    3) Will my local Honda dealer honor the warranty...since the car was purchased out of state?
    Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    kitzthefratkitzthefrat Member Posts: 2
    Anybody having trouble with a 2002 CRV EX with automatic transmission? I have had my CRV for a month and I live in a cold climate. First time I drive the car in the morning when it shifts to second gear the tranny feels like it slips into neutral for a second and then catches itself and jerks back into gear.

Only does it first thing in the morning, and only on cold mornings. Been back to the dealership multiple times they can not find anything wrong.
  • Options
    lngtonge18lngtonge18 Member Posts: 2,228
    Is there a shock looking thing attached to the tailgate? I know my friend's 01 Rodeo has one on the side hinged door. If that's what you are referring to, its an easy fix. Should just be 2 bolts holding it on, although one end may be hidden behind door trim. At any rate, as long as you get it in before 36k, Honda has to replace it under warranty. And yes, any Honda dealer should gladly take care of your problem no matter where you bought it.
  • Options
    cbu9999cbu9999 Member Posts: 2
    I have taken my new CRV back to the dealer twice because the airbag light turns on and stays on, thus disabling the system.

The dealer can't pinpoint what is causing this to happen. It happens after the engine fails to cold start. After another attempt, the engine will start, but the airbag (SRS) light stays on. Anybody else having this problem???

Also, I saw that somebody had a question about a hearing single "click" after braking to a complete stop. I hear it too, but it is not a loud click.

Thanks.
  • Options
    joe1948joe1948 Member Posts: 8
    They are relatively easy to replace and if the dealer won't cover it(they should under your warranty) you would probably find a replacement at Autozone, Advance Auto, Pep Boys, etc. for $10-$15. I have replaced several on American autos but my Nissan Stanza wagon lasted for 13 years and 185,000 miles without replacing either one on the back.
  • Options
    kathy21kathy21 Member Posts: 6
    I'll check it out with my local Honda Dealer
  • Options
    imacatimacat Member Posts: 1
    I've had my CRV for 11 days now, and twice just in the middle of taking a corner at slow speed the engine has cut completely off. The engine being so quiet, you don't know it has cut off until you find you can barely move the steering wheel!! It happened the first time on the day after I bought it and again yesterday, (9 days later). It's going back to the dealer on Thursday the 21st. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem and how was it resolved?? I'm afraid that I'm going to get rear-ended if this keeps happening! Thanks for any help...Jude
  • Options
    carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    I haven't had that problem, I just have the CEL that supposedly is related to a software problem. But here's what someone said who did have the stalling issue:

"The VTC valve was defective. Once the problem was diagnosed (my dealer initially blamed bad gas) the part was replaced under warantee and I was on my way."

Hope this helps.

and if the host is reading this----can you please change the title, it is "CR-V". Thank you
  • Options
    auburn63auburn63 Member Posts: 1,162
    I tried to post here last night but had troubles so he we go again..

If you know the code you are getting let me know what it is. The "P" code is the one I would need. We see several P1457 and P1456 but few of the other many codes. I will try and run a check on the Honda Net tomorrow if I get time for any recent bulletins and or known problems. Lately I have been swamped so it may take a day or so but I will get back..
  • Options
    No problem, get back to me when you can.

The code in question is P1164. Now I am getting two different stories. My dealer called the tech line and they said to just reset the CEL it is related to a software issue. They will have a software fix soon. Someone else got the same code and their dealer said it is an Oxygen Sensor but they are working on a fix. So which is the real story? I find it interesting that dealers have different stories related to this. Shouldn't Honda be informing them? One guy I spoke with specifically mentioned Honda sending something on March 13 or 14. My dealer insisted he received nothing. I'm sorry to say but this seems to be a real issue with this vehicle, some people are reporting their third CEL. I hope you can shed some light on the real story.
  • Options
    pop3ppop3p Member Posts: 2
    I have had my new 2002 crv for three days but having problem shifting down to second and first gear from drive (automatic transmission). It looks like whenever I shift from park to drive, it stops at drive and would not go lower to second or first ??? Is this normal ?? Should it move freely between park and first ???? Thank you for any explanation.

mike phuvie
  • Options
    scnamescname Member Posts: 296
    Pull the lever slightly toward you while shifting downward. Designed to shift that way.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Quit fighting it! I see some people do this.

Others have no trouble the first time.

Go figure!
  • Options
    I found no serice bulletins or service news for your CR-V on the P1164. There has been an on going problem with the Accords for that code and a brand new bulletin that covers it. The corrective action for the Accords when they first started was a new o2 sensor, then when it came back in it got a new computer(ECM/PCM), then when it came back in it got another new o2, then for a few months we were advised that the problem was under investigation.Now atleast they seem to have a handle on what o2/computer combanation they need because the service bulletin has us matching certain o2 sensors with certain ECM/PCMs.

For the Accords and I am sure it will be the same for the CR-V the code is caused by specific customer driving habbits that cause the ECM/PCM to set a false code(P1164).

I can only guess that the differant stories are coming from people confusing the Accord bulletin with a fix for your CR-V. The person that told you tech lines story was probably the most believable. The only way to know for sure would be to have a tech call again and check on the latest info. I can do this for you but I would need your full VIN and mileage which you could e-mail me if you wished or call back the dealer that already called and see if they could make a call back for you. Or you could wait for the next time the light is on and have them clear the light as well as make a follow up call...Good luck
  • Options
    I can't find your email, otherwise I'd send you the info.
  • Options
    auburn63@comcast.net
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    You mean you don't mind people emailing you with questions concerning Hondas?
  • Options
    I won't speak for him but I am sending him some information so he can check on something.

He has been immensely helpful to me and many others and I would never take advantage of his kindness. I ask my questions on the public forums, that way everyone can benefit.
  • Options
    Over the past year or so, I've read many of his posts on the Accord thread.
  • Options
    No I don't mind the e-mail its my phone number that is real hard to get me to give out :)
  • Options
    cokane5227cokane5227 Member Posts: 117
    i don't really think that's a problem, my accord kinda did the same thing short after i bought it. new honda transmissions are juz like that, get used to it, be gentle, step on the gas only when u r sure it's firmly in gear, but not when changing gear, well, at least i did that, gets tired but that gets the car properlly broken-in. now at 11,000 miles, it doesn't do that anymore.
  • Options
    geg717geg717 Member Posts: 1
    I too have P1164 code problems. Have now been told the "fix" will not be ready until May. I'm concerned the fix won't fix my real problem. My malfunction light is no longer on but the car is surging, hesitating and feels like it slips into neutral and jerks back the same as the post by kitzthefrat. I was told it was caused by the oxygen sensor (code P1164) but now they are saying they won't know for sure until they fix that problem. I called the 800# and now have a case number but I could be in for a long battle. This is my first Honda; at this rate, my last.
  • Options
    Ok I was able to call tech line today and they told me about what I expected to hear. They are aware of a problem with some CR-Vs and the code P1164. The fix is currently underway and should be released sometime in May. The repair will be a software upgrade to the PCM/ECM in your vehicle. They have made it possible for us to update the control units through a download to a module then an interface with your computer. This has been used in the past with Passports and worked well so it will probably work well with the rest
  • Options
    sweater2003sweater2003 Member Posts: 1
    The grinding noise that the rear tires make when you make a right or left turn is actually the rear differencial. I have been refered to the dealer, I believe that it is a bad part in the car.
  • Options
    usally this is just the rears way of telling you to change the fluid...
  • Options
    elisthornelisthorn Member Posts: 15
    I received my new EX on 3/19. On 4/5, noticed for the first time a very soft creaking noise on the left side of the vehicle, underneath, occurring only when I first begin to accelerate in 1st, 2nd, and sometimes 3rd gears. Took to dealer, who said technician heard noise, especially when at a standstill. I never hear the noise at that time. Thinking technician is talking about something else. Dealer checked and found no loose parts, etc. Called the national technical support people, who didn't say much. Dealer advised me to keep driving as is and check back. But the noise is still there, and driving me crazy, esp. in a brand new car! A gentleman who gave me this address said to ask for Varmit's comments. But anyone, please respond . . .
  • Options
    Have you checked out the CR-V thread in the SUV forum? Varmint hangs out there more I think. I'm just wondering if the creaking noise you hear is related to the loose driver seat that others have complained about.
  • Options
    elisthornelisthorn Member Posts: 15
    Thanks, Liz. I'll check out the seat and the SUV forum.
  • Options
    yintsaoyintsao Member Posts: 2
    I bought a 2002 Honda CR-V in Feb, 2002.
    When mileage reached 232, the check engine light was ON. We brought the car to dealer, and they only reset the light. The car has been in and out the dealer many times. Nothing got resolved. The light keeps ON. I contacted American Honda. No satisfactory service was taken. They want us to continue driving with the check engine light ON. Can we believe them? Can anyone help, please? Who is going to buy a car with a check engine light ON? We don't want the dealer simply to reset the light, but fix it for the normal performance.
  • Options
    tntitantntitan Member Posts: 306
    Go to the Honda owners - CRV problems and solutions forum. There is much discussion about this problem but the short version is that the dealer is getting computer diagnostic code 1164 and the normal treatment is to replace the O2 sensor (which is what they did in mine back in December) but that may not correct the problem. Honda is supposed to be getting a computer adjustment program to start using anytime. I don't think there is any evidence of this being a problem other than the fact that it is very annoying. You can find out a lot of info on this other forum about your new ride. There are 3 or 4 common problems but none are serious and the bottom line is that you have bought a great vehicle.
  • Options
    For any others that may not know there is going to be a software update for the PCM(power control module)available to dealers around the 14th of May. This is to cure(or try and cure) the P1164. Once it is out I will try and let you know more info...
  • Options
    snoresnore Member Posts: 2
    Check that your gas cap is closed adequately. At least in the Accord the owner's manual and the gas cap both say that the cap needs to be closed at least 3 clicks to avoid having the light come on.
  • Options
    bajie3bajie3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi,all,
    Today my 2002 CRV-LX died on the road :( It was going down at about 25mph on a 15 degree slope.

The ECL first turned on. I noticed that and thought it might not be a big deal. So I continued
    about 100 feet long and came to a traffic intersection and stopped. At that time i heard
    the engine was running very rough. I was scared and turn off the engine. Then i tried to start the engine again. But it still run very rough and
    i turned the engine off again. After serveral such
    tries, the problem became worse, the engine will
    just stop running couple of seconds after i started it. At last it won't even start.

I had to ask for a towing service to the nearest Honda dealership, feeling very bad. There is only
    2000 miles on the car. And i am a very gentle driver and most the miles are on highway. I didn't expect i will meet such problem with a Honda product.

Did anyone here experience similar problem? By the way, will the towing cost be covered by the
    3-year warranty?

Thanks in advance.

Wei
  • Options
    The tow should be covered under the warranty up to a certain amount atleast and the repair sounds as if it will need a timing control solonoid(VTC valve). Good luck..
  • Options
    bajie3bajie3 Member Posts: 4
    Hi, auburn63,
    did you read my following post first on the CRV board or just knew the answer right away?

Is this a serious problem? will it happen again
    in future? I am concerned. Thanks.

Wei

=============================================
    "The Honda dealership technician called me today. I tried my best to remember what he said. Basically the VTEC solenoid of the CRV need to be cleaned,...

Exactly what caused the solenoid valve contamination is still unknown now.

The car will be ready tomorrow. "

Wei
  • Options
    This is the only CRV board that I go to so no I didnt see the follow up post, however, I am a dealer tech and have seen this before on 2 CRVs. Cleaning did work on the secound one we did and most likely break in material floating around is what got the sensor dirty. The very first one I did I just replaced it without checking into it much but cleaning it would have probably cured it since neither one has come back since..Good luck
  • Options
    crvnomadcrvnomad Member Posts: 8
    The malfunction light came on a month ago on my 2002 CRV EX. After I filled up my car, it went off. Now, a month later, it came on again for no reason. My car only has less than 4000 mile. I know this may relate to emission control. This really annoys me. Does anybody else experience similiar problem? I will call my dealer and have the car checked.
  • Options
    freeberfreeber Member Posts: 116
    The gas cap has to be turned at least three clicks after you fill your tank or the light will come on. Try tightening your gas cap before you pay the dealer to look at it.
  • Options
    The first time it happened , fill the car up fixed the problem. This time, it's not even working after filling up and driving for 2 trips.
  • Options
    there is a problem that they are fixing involving a code P1164 I think. The O2 sensor curcuit and or cat converter. This is becoming common and they know of a computer software update to fix it but not for sure it is out. It is supposed to be but I havent seen it yet..Do you know your code? If not get it checked out..good luck
  • Options
    I went to my dealer today. Although I do not know exactly the what the code means, it was indeed code P1164.I asked why Honda did not make this a recall, and I was told this Malfunction Indicator Light problem happens only to a fraction of CRVs out there. Honda has a software fix out already. Whoever has this problem and goes to dealer will get the software update, but Honda will not update every single CRV out there. So if anybody experiences this problem and did not forget to tighten the gas fill cap three clicks should go to the dealer and have it fixed. Although it is probably not a big deal, it is really annoying that you have to look at that glowing yellow engine symbol every time you check the dash.
  • Options
    burgundyburgundy Member Posts: 1
    I just had my CRV towed to the dealership with the exact problem described in #88. It is a 99 with 70,000 miles. They replaced all 4 fuel injectors - cost about $1,000. I have had problems with the car pulling to the right the entire time I've owned it. As a very new car, the ABS light would not turn off. It was in the shop so many times, I finally said I wanted a new car! The problem eventually was fixed - but I was making payments on a new CRV and driving a Civic loaner! I am going to trade my CRV in for another car. Not sure what yet.
  • Options
    4rdtrpz4rdtrpz Member Posts: 1
    99 LX 4wd Auto
    My car has stalled twice @ stops. Both times happened when I came to a stop and was getting ready to accelerate. The RPM's seem to take a dip below 500 (needle below 1/2 way mark between 100 & 0 on tach) most of the time when I come to a stop. Took it in to the dealer for 45k service & had them check the idle & timing. Both OK.

If I were driving a 5spd it wouldn't be that big of a deal but I have an automatic.

I read all the posts. One had a similar problem and there are others that seem related. Anyone have any ideas as to what I should be looking at. Dealer didn't seem to dig deeper for me on this one.

Thanks
    4rdtrpz@hondasuv.com
  • Options
    dtruong88dtruong88 Member Posts: 12
    I have just gotten a new 2002 Honda CR-V EX yesterday.

Just on the next day when I drove it on a bumpy freeway while only traveling at 60 mph, I heard a rattle in the headliner, somewhere near the moonroof. At the time, the moonroof shade is all the way closed.

When I open the moonroof shade, whether just slightly or all the way, the rattling stops. Does anyone have this type of problem on their car? This is a brand new car and the rattle is loud enough to notice it even with the radio on.

Anyone help please! Its driving me nuts!
  • Options
    cloudberrycloudberry Member Posts: 1
    This is a Problem with CRV EX. I test drove 2 "used" crv ex 1 with 4k miles the other witlh7k
    . The salesman said it could be fixed in one day. says he has seen the prob in quit a few ex, models. He even pointed it out to me b4 I even noticed. VERY HONEST dealership-Ralph shomp honda in denver Co.
    Anyway bought a brand new LX . No probs at all there.
  • Options
    schriftyschrifty Member Posts: 1
    My 8 mo. old CR-V wouldn't turn over when I went to start it today. All of the lights/a/c came on and you could hear the engine struggling, but it took 6 or 7 times for it to start. Has this happened to anyone? Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you!
  • Options
    jimstodjimstod Member Posts: 3
    Hi...I have a 2002 V w/16,000 miles on it & have been pretty much problem free until today.

Driving along (about 20mph)& out of the blue the ABS light popped on and a couple seconds later the brake light came on and both stayed on.

With the window down, I can hear a ticking-type noise (hard to describe, but sounds a lot like how the exhaust pipes sound when cooling down but only can be heard while the wheels are rotating) which 'sounds' like it's coming from the front-driver side wheel area.

Anyway, I immediately called the dealer (taking it in Monday), who said it was very unusual for that to happen in a new car. I asked if it would still be okay to drive (at the time was thinking of driving it the 20 miles to the dealer) and the mechanic on the phone reasoned that since the brakes don't seem squishy or much different as far as stopping ability & that the braking system on the 2002 is no different than the 2001, he didn't see any problem with driving it.

Suffice it to say, I haven't driven the V since & face the weekend with no car.

My question is: Can anybody give me any idea if he was right & it should be okay to drive or should I have it towed, and/or should I fill the brake fluid up to the max line (currently the level is a bit below the mid-level range)and see if the brake light goes off?

I've had conflicting reports ranging from "You have no brakes" to "a sensor's probably screwed up"...
This discussion has been closed.