Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Photo Gallery

Comments

• Options
    larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Beautifull Car! My '95 is the same color and looks exactly like it (almost). If that's original paint, you are to be commended. Mine is a Florida car and the hood and trunk (hood especially) was fading pretty noticably when I bought the car 2 years ago.

This year I had the whole thing painted and it looks great.

Now, you just need the dynoMax SuperTurbos and the chrome exhaust tips like mine to round her out :-)

BTW, only the rear shot displays, apparently there is something wrong with the other picture.
  • Options
    stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Sorry guys...here are the new links for the two pictures that aren't working.

larryfl...I've been holding out on the new exhaust. I'd like to get a new Aurora (2001 or better) in the next year and am thinking about getting the CORSA when that happens. We'll see...
  • Options
    rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Looks great!
  • Options
    javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    Here is my Aurora

• Options

Gotta Love Those Beefy tires!

Peace.
  • Options

Loving that low profile look!

Peace.
  • Options

Even the nipple is chrome!

Peace.
  • Options
  • Options
  • Options
    The 95 just turned 150,000 today, so we're going to do an oil change and paint those calipers to celebrate.

Let's get the oil change out of the way. Nothing but Mobil 1 for the old girl....

That's my brother doing the oil change while I prep the calipers for paint

This is me...using the wire brush to clean the surface for painting. Don't ask me why I'm wearing the engineering shirt, I'm a law student, my brother is the engineer.
    In the pic above, you can see my brother laying on the primer. The green you see is just some 3M tape to keep from painting the rotor as well.

Even Jeremy's 5.0 gets into the celebration....but his gets 15W50...yeesh, that's thick stuff.

Anyone else use this space in the nose of the vehicle to store oil? I always keep an extra quart there for when I need it. Never had one leak on me and it's a lot easier than getting into the trunk.

And one last pic. This is my freshly-detailed engine bay. Just had to throw it in there...:-)

All in all it was a good birthday. Hopefully, I'll be posting about the 200,000 mark in a couple of years...let's just cross our fingers.
  • Options
    Brian:

For 9 years and 150k miles, she's certainly well preserved! I gotta ask, what color did you paint the calipers?

While our cars are the same age (6/94 build date - but only 101k miles), looks like I got a few years on you (I'm 46, and not NEARLY as well preserved). One day I'll get around to posting some pics of my car with the dynoMax mufflers & chrome tips. BTW, I use standard, premium dyno oil but change it every 3 to 3.5k miles - usually twice for every time the DIC tells me to. So far, so good.
  • Options
    Were your calipers already painted? Did you have to sand them or anything first? How do they look now? I'm surprised you didn't remove them first. Nice garage, btw...
  • Options
    The calipers just got painted black. I'm not too much into anything flashy, I was just tired of seeing orange-ish rusty calipers behind my clean wheels. We pulled the rotors on the front and painted the calipers while they "hung" there. The rear rotors take a bit more work to remove, so we just taped them off and painted the calipers right there. Didn't take too much time on them. Like I said, I just wanted to hide them from view. The wire brush was just to clean the surface to prep for the primer..2 coats of that then 2 coats of hi-temp black paint.
  • Options
    kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    I also painted my calipers black. But I didnt remove anything. I just took off the tire and used the Rustoleum in the regular non-spray can and painted it on with a brush. it was very easy and looks great to get rid of the rust
  • Options
    I'd love to be able to lay claim to the garage, but it's my bro's shop. He's the ASE-cert. mechanic in the family (kinda like having a doctor)...he works on the inside and I work on the outside. It's a good system. When I graduate, we'll have a laywer and a engineer in the family. These days, that's better than a doctor! :-)
  • Options
    I like to see some pictures of your finished paint calipers, what product did you use?

I found these place that sells the paint and other stuff included, the process seems kind of easy to do, I'm going to look into it, now more than ever since I have the chrome wheels and you can see now more behind the wheels, and I don't like the rust look in there.

Here is the link for the product that I found, http://www.street-beat.com/brakcalpain.html

Peace.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    THAT WAS BEAUTIFUL MAN.

. . . . . . REALLY.
  • Options
    nice link, javi
    I just used a rustoleum primer and black hi-temp paint (1200+ degree) from Autozone. If I had a black classic like yours, that might convince me to go with red or silver...probably a real bright silver. But I don't think any color goes too well with my "Light Antelope" classic.

everyone else, thanks for the kind words...just let me know when you've seen enough pictures of my car :-) When my girlfriend saw the pics she said that we should have been wearing birthday hats...man, that would have been great!

-Brian
  • Options
    Get some pictures of the finished painted calipers, so we can see how they came out.

I think I'm going to do the same for my Aurora.

Oh, and hey congrats to your Aurora turning 150.

Peace.

http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
  • Options
    mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    with the flying A in silver artwo years old nad have held up well. I used some left over ppg black epoxy paint for the base and silver babeque paint for the A.
  • Options
    In Reply To:

with the flying A in silver artwo years old nad have held up well. I used some left over ppg black epoxy paint for the base and silver babeque paint for the A.

_________________________________________________________________- _____

Get some pictures up so we can see how your project came out.

I'm planning on doing my calipers soon.

Peace.
  • Options
    Can someone tell me how to create a hyperlink to my cardomain site. I finally got some pics ,but Im computer illiterate.

Thanks
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Here's the img code:

img src="Your picture URL"

Put < at the beginning and > at the end.

If you have any trouble, let me know!
  • Options
    If you just want to create a link that is clickable just type the whole link,

like mine is http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg

Just type the whole link, it will make it clickable for other users.

Make sure you add this (http://) then your link or website.

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    Well here is the link to my cardomin site. Let me know what you guys think.

http://members.cardomain.com/kayaman420
  • Options
    Nice work on the Aurora, How's the air intake kit working for you?

I was going to buy one, but I heard it will void out my GM Warranty.

No plans for that now,

Instead I'm looking into a High Intensity Discharge Kit for now.

Peace.

Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
  • Options
    Nice pics, very nice looking ride. How'd you do the "32 V Northstar" badge on the trunk? I'm assuming it's off a Caddie, did you just find it at a junkyard? Nice touch
  • Options
    Thanks fellas.

Javi- The air intake is good for the high end speed, but I think it takes away torque at lower speeds. Also the engine runs a bit hot with it. It does sound really tough though.

stickking1- Yes that badge is from a 97 STS. I ordered it from the CAddie dealer. If you remember I had to replace my rear reflector piece. I got one from the junkyard for $95 (dealer wanted $618). Someone had scratched off the AURORA badge and left deep gouges in the plastic. I needed something bigger than just the AURORA badge to cover it up. So I thought the 32 V Northstar would look best. It was all scratched up pretty bad , but I used Meguiars Scratch X and Meguiars plastic polish and it made it useable. At least worth saving over $500.
  • Options
    Good solution...I really like the look too. Gotta love that Meguiar's!
  • Options
    blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    Karen,

For several months I have noticed that the index for Aurora discussions is not accurate. Sometimes the "last post" and "date" are not up-to-date. I realize this could be a problem with my brouser. Could you check it out and let us know what is neede to get the see a listing of most recent posts, in chronilogical order?
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I started to answer you yesterday, but my power went out!

It's not your browser. The Owners Clubs discussions are set in a certain order. Some of the other clubs have long lists of linked discussions from other boards. This way the "Owners" discussions stay at the top of the list order. Sorry for the confusion!
  • Options
    Dropped by my Olds dealer while at work today to look at a nice black 2002 they had in stock and was chatting with the salesman when he mentioned that they had gotten a "Final 500" in. I went over to take a look then returned later that day with my camera. I thought I should get a few pics of my '95 with the last of the brand. Seeing as how my car was built in 6/94, this is about as far apart as they get. Sorry if my car is a bit dirty, I would have loved to give her a wash before the shoot, but time didn't allow.

If you look closely, my car is waving in the reflection...at least I'd like to think she is.

The dealer had about a dozen '01 or newer in stock, I was really surprised. You can see mine hiding out in the back..."One of these is not like the others...."

Here is the one I was there to look at....drool.

I was really stunned by how dark the color of the Final's were....almost plum to my eye. I'd love to have one of them, but I like the original wheels and the color was not my favorite, still beautiful...but I am a sucker for black.
  • Options
    Looks like an Aurora gathering or something! I've never seen Aurora's lined up like that before. Not even at any Olds dealers. The most they ever had was about two at one time. That reflection shot of your car off the CE is excellent.

Maybe we need to start an Aurora Owner's club so that we can see Aurora's lined up like that...

They all look so much better without the front plate. My state requires them, but I've yet to have any problems with not mounting it.

Thanks for sharing those photos! What awesome cars... I'd want to sit in each one... Hey, did they have any that weren't neutral/light neutral interiors? I've seen it gray once, but that's it. It was nice, but not nearly as welcoming as the lighter colors. Plus, it wasn't two-toned. Never saw the sage or mocha two-toned interiors.
  • Options
    Great Pictures! Your car looks great. I'll pretend that's mine next to the 'Final'.

I still like the looks of the Classic best - and the comparison just validates it! ....of course, I'm not biased or anything....
  • Options
    garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    Yes, great photos. The reflection one is very cool indeed.
  • Options
    HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I was beginning to think I was becoming too attached to my car.

I see I am not alone.

Once you drive Aurora theres no going back. (not without a fight)

Henri
  • Options
    You know, when I was looking over some pics of my car with the new rims, I started to see a resemblance to the Antares show car. I think the 2001+ wheels are a big step towards that...which is great, because I think the picture of the Antares is awesome! Now I just have to figure out a mod for the exhaust....
    The Antares:

My car:
  • Options
    I checked out the Series 1 at the local Ferrari dealership again. This time I had a camera with me:

• Options
    That is VERY cool! Can you e-mail me that picture if you have it in a higher resolution? That'll go on the wall.
  • Options
    Here's some nice shots of Greg's car. Man does it look deep. That paint is flawless!

• Options
    Here's some night shots of Greg's car:

P.S. Greg, you've got mail.
  • Options
    Thanks for the Shelby Series 1 picture. The 1.6 MB jpg provided plenty of resolution such that I cropped the door emblem and printed it out on photo paper and it's almost the full length of of the paper. It's still razor sharp too.

It's really a cool picture that'll go on the office wall with the other Aurora stuff.
  • Options
    No problem. It's actually a dash emblem, though. It's right in front of the passenger. You can see the plastic grain around it (I wonder if that's good plastic or bad plastic? I guess it depends on the sticker price.)
  • Options
    It's the cheap plastic. The Series 1 is made in USA and has an Oldsmobile engine so it must be the bad plastic.

Someone should make the car critics do a blindfold test of the "feel" of plastic to see if they can tell any difference. You could do the same with material samples to test the "look" part too. The results would be hilarious for sure. My bet the only thing looking and feeling bad would be the stupid car critic.

Thanks again.
  • Options
    I was perusing the photos again and was surprised by how many are little red x's. A lot of them are links to Cardomain. I wonder if they stopped allowing people to link to their stuff? Or if they just changed some directory hierarchy and broke everyone's links...
  • Options
    Yeah, Bob...I had notcied that a day or two ago as well...popped on to see what was new in the photo gallery and many of my pics were turned into beautiful little red x's. Let me try to post one of my pics to see if it works.

Well, there you go...must have just changed the index and broke all of the links...I'll have to update my old posts sometime soon.
  • Options
    Those silver 01+'s look really good on that bronze mist. - guessing on color name.
  • Options
    Close, but no cigar. This '95 is Light Antelope Metallic...I thought the name had been changed to Bronze Mist for later models, but maybe it is a totally different color.

I always told myself I would get black for the next one...but I'm really starting to love this color. I am a detailing fanatic, so it doesn't give me quite as much satisfaction as black or even a nice dark green, but there is something about this color at dusk. I don't get the feeling that the car is reflecting the color of the sunset, it really takes on the color of the sky...good stuff. If I got a 99 or older, I would go with this color or black, but if I got a 01 or newer then I would also consider that Bordeaux Red that RJS has...I love that color!
  • Options
    but it is Cherry Red Metallic. The Bourdeaux Red was a 2003 only color, and judging from the color sample (never saw one in that color) it is slightly darker, redder, and less metallic. Though, it would be nice to see it on a whole car (I'd have liked to see that 2003 Steel Blue color too).

It was actually the color that got my wife and I looking at the Aurora. We were checking out Intrigues and wanted red, but the Intrigue red was leaving us just a tad cold. Then my wife said "Can't we get it in that red?" as she pointed at a Cherry Red Metallic 2001 Aurora. Then we made the fateful mistake of going over and sitting in it. That was it. She was sold totally on the interior, and of course I was duly impressed. What impressed me more was the V8, increased level of luxury and features, the IIHS "best-pick" rating, the V8, the fact that it really wasn't a whole lot more expensive than a loaded GLS, the V8, and mainly the fact that it had a V8.

I was aware of Auroras at the time, and always thought they were neat cars, but it never really dawned on me to check one out when we were looking for a new car. Thank God the dealership had a red one in stock or I'd be over on the Intrigue board!
  • Options
    You can go ahead and change this to the "mistaken color" thread now...oh well, yours is the only red that I have really liked in the Aurora. The Final 500 is a bit too dark for me.
This discussion has been closed.