Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Saab 9-3 Sedan

Comments

• Options
    drdaryljdrdarylj Member Posts: 9
    I agree.

Prior to test driving anything, I felt that the blue LEDs of the TL were incredibly cool. They are except in regular daylight where they became harder to view.

Of all the vehicles I drove, the Saab's instrument cluster was the easiest to process mentally and understand while driving.

What is actually holding me up from placing an order ( I want an Arc w/ no sunroof) is that unworkable infotainment center. I *hope* for either 2005 or 2006 that aspect changes for the better.

Interestingly enough, the Acura TL has a very highly rated stereo system, yet to me the Saab had a 'better' sound to it. Yes, there is less bass than the American ear is used to, but thats the way we Scandihovians are. The clarity and dynamic expression are splendid. But that is another topic entirely. :-)

It seems the infotainment center frustrates you yes? Is it the kind of thing where it is easy to set up a basic grouping one likes and simply leave it at that...say radio station display, temp, and time?

Thanks for any input along that line,
    Dr. Daryl still seriously interested in a Saab
  • Options
    drdaryljdrdarylj Member Posts: 9
    I forgot the last half of my question in the above post so here it is:

Does your parking brake and matching accessory handle ( the exact word of the thing fails me at the moment but as an owner, you likely know just what I'm talking about...) have huge, rough areas of flashing along the mould parting lines? All 4 of the 9-3's I've been in had them. One was a 2003 Linear, two were 2004 Aero's, and one was an '04 Aero. I was dismayed to be sitting in a $38.5K car and find that.

Utilitarian doesn't bother me one bit. I prefer, for example, Arcam stereos. Basic looking, but fabulous performance.

Where "cheap" begins to enter the picture (my opinion only) is the texture/sheen of the main dash. I had cheapy-toys as a kid that had that exact look. The sun-visors also seem to have a chintzy feel. Couple that with the huge amounts of flash present in the center and it makes me begin to worry about their attention to detail as a brand.

Please understand this is just commentary and I've all but ruled out Volvo for my next purchase and I say that as a Volvo S-70GLT owner. The Saab rates very, very high for me still.

And what European Car magazine has to say about the 03 Vector has me even more interested.

Kindly,
    Dr. Daryl
  • Options
    sastrybsastryb Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if Saab has decided to proceed with bringing the 9-3 Sport Hatch to market? If so, do you know what model year they are hoping to introduce it?
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    I thought the 9-3 SportHatch was a definite go. Particularly after the Saab CEO showed it along with the debut of the 9-2X in Detroit. I saw the introduction video at the GM medial Online website. The Saab site still has a prominent link to it.

The 9-3 Aero is sharp car. I though the interior of the Aero 9-3's was equal to the similar models of BMW - 3 Series, Infiniti - G35, Lexus -IS300, Acura - TL. There is new chip stuff for the Saab 9-3, Parts for Saabs lists the PPC by BSR of Sweeden. This device ups the HP to 245+ and the TRQ to 285+, it lists for about $850-$900. The sweet thing about this device is that you can switch it back to normal trionic 8 tune whenever you need. There are some other tunning items out there from Abbott racing and Wigwam Saab, that are fairly straight foward and would probably keep your warranty in tact.
  • Options
    3and143and14 Member Posts: 36
    Yes, I have some flashing on the "matching accessory handle" (the so-called credit card holder) but the parking brake finish is OK. I don't blame you for being disappointed in such failings for a car stickering well into the 30's.

As far as the Infotainment system, it's fairly simple to find an informational display and leave it, although I don't recall if that exact combination you specified is available. The usability problem isn't the display so much as the numerous buttons on the dash and steering wheel; this is exacerbated by the On Star controls which don't function since I passed on that option.

buddhabman, that chip set sounds very interesting. I'll take a look. Must be sure about that warranty however!
  • Options
    brucec35brucec35 Member Posts: 246
    Perhaps some of you guys are missing something on the "cheap" bits in the interior and the "stickering into the 30's".

The car's interior does not get substantially upgraded from the base linear level as you go up in models. You get what is basically a $26,500 car's interior. At that price it's pretty good. I actually like the more spartan look too, though I prefer the rich warmth of the Acura's wood and materials.

A loaded Aero priced $11,000 over a decently equipped Linear will leave you wanting more in interior quality. But with real-world prices for more modest models around the price of a Camry or loaded Altima, it's harder to complain. I love our 9-3 Linear, but the car makes less sense the higher you go up in price. Our Linear Launch w/all the options was $31,000. A BMW 325 comparably equipped would have a nicer interior but would also cost about $6,000 more.

And a $26,000 less well equipped with toys Linear bought today with a quick 6 minute flash $1000 computer upgrade will at least equal a $36,000 stock Aero in performance. Probably quicker to 60mph. I can live w/o the seat inserts, rain sensing gizmos, notchy 6 speed shifter, metal trim (can be fixed for under $400)etc. Nice, but not worth the price.

Japanese cars give you more bang for the buck in terms of features and quality than European ones. Fact of life. For a nicer interior in a euro car you'll need to bring more cash. The new Acura TL is hard to beat. But it's not fair to compare every car to this long time sport sedan value leader.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Consumers' Most Wanted Vehicles for 2004 Survey is posted and ready for your input!
  • Options
    kohinahikohinahi Member Posts: 112
    Hi! I don't know if I'm going to be out of protocol by asking what people paid for their cars, but forums are meant to help the average consumer and so I'll take the jump and ask what people are paying for their 9-3 Arcs??
    We are looking to purchase an Arc and any help with price and the corresponding detail in options would be greatly appreciated.....Currently, I think I might be able to swing the supplier price which includes about $675 dealer holdback (Consumer Reports new car pricing service) less a $3000 incentive - which puts the car is a great price range.
    I'll just put down the specs we're looking for:
    NO sunroof, Cold weather package, Park Assist and Xenon headlights.

Your help in getting a good grasp of the price I might expect to pay would be greatly appreciated.

P.S. Is is standard practice for SAAB dealers to share their factory invoice with you? This invoice shows not only the supplier price, but also a GM employee price......any thoughts???
  • Options
    Let me also share my “tipnee” (pronounce as ‘tip-knee’ – Hindi equivalent for ‘2 cents’). Ever since the TL came out in 1998 (me thinks!) that was the one car I wanted. So now that we could finally afford one we decided to test-drive (I had my checkbook with a signed blank check!) the new 2004 TL. I had just driven my buddy’s new 2003 3.2TL on which he got a fantastic deal. After driving his car, I was confident that the new TL with 270HP would leave his in the dust. I have never ever been as disappointed as that first time I pressed on the gas. The new TL just didn’t have that initial torque. It is a fantastic car to drive if you can maintain speeds above 70 mph for long stretches, but the reality is that most people just do inner-city driving. The initial lag was just unbearable. I’ve never seen a salesman’s jaw drop as it did when I responded to his question by saying that the car sucked. He could not believe that somebody who had been so considerate and kind just a few minutes ago could be so brutally honest and just plain damn MEAN!!

I have not given up on the TL YET!!! I intend to drive a different car at a different dealership – this dealership had just one demo with about 1700 miles on it.

We also drove the:
    Acura TSX – better initial torque, loose steering at 55+ mph – caused swaying.

BMW 325i – Very sporty, Great car, great handling, great brakes, great everything except price. To quote a recent review – “it could do with more power”

A4 – Very sporty, great exterior/interior finish, Smooooooth CVT transmission – though I would prefer to ‘feel’ a sports-sedan. One major factor – BAD brakes! (In this class, of course!!)

G35 – All the power, all the time – 100% sports mode. Did not like the odd/mis-matched shades of color in the interior and the lack of thought put into ergonomics…no telescopic steering, oddly placed seat controls – just small stuff. Power-plant was awesome, little disappointed with the Xenon light coverage area.

IS300 – Very Sporty, a little crammed, confusing display, a little vanilla – we thought!

And of course, the SAAB 9-3 Linear and Arc. Just thought I’d clarify something for the purists shaking their heads at my assessment…….in all fairness, I drove ONLY the steptronic, tiptronic, sentronic transmissions…….can’t buy a stick because of the wife. I personally feel it is a waste of money to buy a performance car with an automatic transmission…there is some redemption with these manu-matic transmissions.

Continuing on to the SAAB. I fly planes (haven’t in the past 4 years, but I like to talk in the present tense!), so naturally I’d like to try out the SAAB. My wife did not even want to stop at the SAAB dealership en route to test drive the G35.

I told her we’ll be in-out in two minutes. We didn’t make it to the Infiniti dealership that evening. Initially the car seemed OK, little odd, she was not too impressed. Then we got the key and our eyes perked-up. Hmmm…this is little different…a bit cool! Then I tried putting it in the traditional slot and the lady went…“try the center console” We were like, “Whoa..this is cool!” Then she went through the features and asked me to crank up the engine….EVERYTHING came to life!!! I was instantly transported to my plane cockpit. I could hear all my alarms and beeps go off in my head. It was awesome. I loved it. I could not wait to take it for a test-drive. I almost yanked the lady’s arm from her shoulder while closing the door and I think I mumbled something like, “I’ll bee baackk!”

The first step on the gas pedal was fantastic and just amazingly responsive, the car (in auto mode) was doing what I expected it to do,. I had this huge grin on my face…..I think it was the same grin that I had when doing 90 degree, 3.5g turns for the first time in a Cessna.

I moved it to manual and it drove like a dream. My wife drove it and she had the same exact grin on her face. We just LOVED the car. It was just very well coordinated with what we expected from a sports-sedan. BTW, this was the Linear, so just a 175 HP. We came back and talked price and we were just amazed…..we could get a fully loaded vehicle for the price of a base 325i with automatic transmission. We were sold and asked the sales-lady to look for one with the options we wanted.

My wife was very enthusiastic about the SAAB, but being smart consumers decided to test drive the two remaining cars in this class and our budget – the G35 and Audi A4. She also wanted to test-drive the beamer again.

We test drove all of them and though the G35 is a not-so-close second choice, we were very surprised that we dropped the 325i from the list. We felt that the 325i seemed a little underpowered.

So we will test drive the TL again this weekend, and probably have a SAAB located by the coming Monday.

In conclusion, we made multiple trips to each dealer, and test drove some cars twice, but every time I go to the SAAB dealership, I itch to drive – I just want to take it out. I do not feel the same with the G35 or the BMW.

Many people have voiced not-so-positive opinions about the complex controls and display – I feel that a car should have something challenging to keep you excited. My wife and I personally LOVE the display – she loves having the information in her line-of-sight! And I’m sure I will appreciate it even more once I learn how to work everything.

So I think it comes down to two major reasons we’re looking at getting a SAAB:
    1. My wife for the first time in her life is really excited about something technical/mechanical/electrical/etc., and,
    2. Every time we drive it we have that BIG GRIN on our face!!
  • Options
    mrblonde49mrblonde49 Member Posts: 626
    I have an '03 Arc, and I paid about $500 over invoice (less rebates) when I bought almost a year ago. But that was also right after the Arc and Vector hit the street. I think that you can now get it for invoice. That would be my target.

The dealer showed me the invoice before I even asked, and I know that has happened with pelnty of others, so I would think it's common practice.

Good luck. Let us know what happens
  • Options
    rocharcrocharc Member Posts: 18
    I bought my ARC last June at invoice minus 3,000. The dealership showed me all of the numbers and unfortunately my contact at GM lost his supplier coupon so I lost out on another few hundred off. BTW they are the only SAAB dealer for 60+ miles in any direction. I also love driving the car. One trick that has worked for me in the past is if you intend to finance the car do it through them. It gets the dealer a little more money. I then re-financed the car using a home equity loan to get a slightly (and I do mean slightly) better rate. Just a thought in the negotiating process.

Good Luck. I really enjoy my SAAB.
  • Options
    hungshyhungshy Member Posts: 74
    I am totally agree with your thought, even I know there are lots people dont agree with me. There got paralyze from TL's interior. Anyway, the test dive made me and my wife couldn't walk away without getting it. all I can say now after 17 months and 20k ownership is still "WOW!"
  • Options
    bigdaddycoatsbigdaddycoats Member Posts: 1,058
    I know its not the 9-3 but interesting?

http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_fast_development_time/index.htm
  • Options
    Thank you all for your prompt reply!!
    I greatly appreciate the advice and the help with the pricing.....I'll target the invoice which I guess is kinda' close to the supplier discount less the $3500 discount. I'm not the kind of person who'll nickel and dime, as long as we get the car we want and its close to this price - I'll be happy.

I'll probably have the car in the next two weeks and will post on my experience.

Look very forward to joining the SAAB owners club. You all seem to be a nice bunch!!
  • Options
    sgeiger1sgeiger1 Member Posts: 8
    Namaste Kohinahi,

While I agree with all your assessmnents my wife has a diffrent opinion. She loves her 325i and is not a big fan of my 2004 9-3. I drive both cars and agree that the 9-3 has a much better ride and feels much quicker. The one thing I will say about the BMW is that it has much better curb appeal. People always say "nice car" to her and she loves it. Scottsdale is just that kind of town.. Especially the teens. The Saab is like the sibling with the better personality that doesnt get the respect. I will stick to the Saab anyday but must warn you that the BMW will have much better resale value. Good Luck
  • Options
    I attended ASU and worked in Tempe, spent a good 6 years there till I moved to my present locale - Richmond.
    I know what you mean by curb appeal.....my wife is kinda' like that, but I think she is able to distinguish between the two gratifications. She is not technically inclined, can't put her finger on it, but she loves the SAAB! Since this is the only thing we've agreed upon (besides Malees on Main) in the 10 years that we've known each other I jumped on board!

People in Scottsdale are nice...they'll take the time to pass a positive comment on your "nice car" and if that's not available, they'll find something else to make your day!

I am a big Arizona fan, it has been my home-away-from-home.......can't wait for the economy to pick up so that I can pack my bags and get back home!!
  • Options
    homerkchomerkc Member Posts: 113
    Can GM Mastercard rebate dollars be used to purchase a new Saab? (I think I have to have a 9-3.)
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    No--if it did, i might already have one. I have like $1800 on my GM card. I used to think i had to have a pontiac GTP but i changed my mind.
  • Options
    code7700code7700 Member Posts: 65
    OK, so I've got like 13,000+ on my Cosmic Blue 2003 9-3 (I still can't believe they dropped that color) and I'm starting to wonder when I should get an oil change. The dealer says the computer will let me know, but it still hasn't. I know the oil they use is like magic, but it seems long a long time to me.

Also, anyone know anything about adding Sirius... I'm guessing the 9-3 radio can't have any added features (we've been over this before)... but maybe some new developments?

BTW, drove a TL the other day. You know how some cars grow on you? The TL did the opposite. I sort of liked it when it first came out, but now I really don't like it. The side marker lights, for one, look like they were haphazardly glued on. =8)
  • Options
    wassalljwassallj Member Posts: 14
    My computer let me know at about 14,300 miles and I have heard from others that 14k miles is common
  • Options
    I was right around the same mark when mine came on - 14,400
  • Options
    That's right. When I went for serive for service light on. Service dept. said that's normal with 14k. So I got free service. But every 10k dealer called me to have service. get another free service. Hmm. Now I get every 5k service for free. Pretty good deal. I knew SAAB USA only give out free service every 10k. But My car dealer seems do custimers favor to give extra free service.
  • Options
    dhanleydhanley Member Posts: 1,531
    Ah, yes, them dropping cosmic blue is another factor, aside from the GM card points. ;)
  • Options
    yuan1304yuan1304 Member Posts: 4
    Hmm, what dealer told me about free serivce was different. I leased 93 linear last Dec. After one month, I went for fist month inspection, and I asked the dealer when was going to be the next free service. "15k" he said. I thought I heard wrong. so I asked again. 15k still. Does anyone know the exact time of scheduled free service. Also dealer told me that it was better to have oil change at 7.5k. I would like to know how often you guys change oil.
  • Options
    gismogismo Member Posts: 10
    About to make decision on new vehicle. Just wondering if anyone has anything negative to say about the 9-3 linear (automatic). In one of the posts, someone complained that there was problems with the senstronic.

Now that GM own Saab, I was told that I can redeem the GM card Points. Other car I am considering is the audi A-4 quattro and Mercedes C-230. All of these are very comparable in price, and similar drive and handling. My wife likes the Saab sporty design the best, but I am always more conservative and appeal towards the higher resale of c-230. The A-4 is also a nice car and comes with free maintenance the first 4 Yrs (or 60K miles).

Also, how much below advertised price should I bargain for the 9-3?
  • Options
    Does anyone know the exact time of scheduled free service. Also dealer told me that it was better to have oil change at 7.5k. I would like to know how often you guys change oil. <<

There is no exact time. That's why we are saying that it seems to come on around 14K, but it;s different for everyone. The time for service light comes on based on the oil quality, which is based on an algorithym that depends on your drving style, climate, etc.

I was also told that they recommeded a mid-cycle oil change , that's not covered under the free maintenance. I did one at 8K. I figured it's worth it, because even if the synthetic is more expensive, you are still doing them very infequently compared to standard oil. I'll probably do it every 8K once I'm out of the free maintenance period
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Premise:

there is an oil sensor that tells you when to change the oil based on driving style, oil effectiveness, et al

dealer won't do oil change under the included plan until the light comes on

light comes on when oil has about 14K miles of use based on experiences here

you change oil early for peace of mind

Hence oil sensor never is activated and you never get the oil changed under the service plan.
  • Options
    I think I got lucky base on those posts. like I posted before. My car dealer keep sending me service notice for every 5k. So I did as they called. I only paid the first 5k service. at 10k I asked them to do service, they charged free. at 14.5k the service light on so I got free service. at 20k they called me for service again, and I listen to them. and also I got free service base on 3 years every 10k service for free "contract", I guess when I sigh up the car? For 20k I have car oil change service four times and three of them are free. I think this is the way car should be.
  • Options
    I test drived the linear 2.0t, and noticed some lag on accelerating. Is the 2.0T with higher hp better in lag performance ?
  • Options
    Your premise is incorrect.

The oil life indicator needs to be reset, and it is not at the intermediate service (well, you better make sure it isn't reset, anyway)

In other words, my oil life sensor said something like 60% when I first had the oil changed at 8K miles (and remained 60% afterwards). And when it hit 10 percent or so, at 14,400, it said time for service - which was performed free of charge
  • Options
    Why would the oil life indicator need to be reset if it is a sensor? You don't have to reset your smoke alarm (sensor). I was told a light (or laser) shoots through to oil to measure how dirty it is (simple but effective if that is how they do it). Is this not the case?
  • Options
    My premise assumed an oil life sensor that did not need resetting - that it actually measured the oil status. It sounds like it may be based on mileage as opposed to a true oil life sensor. I present that it seems much too coincindental that everyone gets a message at 14,400 miles to change their oil.
  • Options
    This is my understanding:

It's not really a sensor that can analyze and determine oil quality.

The engine management system takes your driving habits, climate conditions, etc, puts it in a preprogrammed algorithm and determines how many miles you should drive before the oil needs to be changed. This info is shown in the profiler under service data, and shown as a % of oil quality, and how many days to service.

It is reset only at the scheduled service

And I've seen others see it pop up anywhere from 12 to 15K, I think we just have a few people here who had it roughly the same time
  • Options
    Got it.

Going off on a tangent - isn't it funny how when the consumer paid for service, the service intervals were much shorter. Now the same car with maintenance included can go 15K between oil changes.
  • Options
    Well, I guess it's the synthetic that can make it go that long - and I think tests have proven this. But it is funny that they "recommend" doing one in between. That you have to pay for. But when you only have to pay for 2 oil changes in the first 36K miles, I guess it's no big deal. Not for me, anyway
  • Options
    Test drove the 9-3 arc today, and was quite dissaponted on how it performed in the snow. I was going at 20 mph on an uncleared side road, and slid right into someones garage driveway. Got stuck going back and the snow depth was only 3-4 inches.
  • Options
    Did it have the 17" sport wheels with summer tires? I ask because my Arc with the 16" all seasons has performed PERFECTLY in the snow this year. Haven't lost grip yet.
  • Options
    It was the 16" , but not sure they were the summer or all-seasons. I assume it was all season because it's still winter here. I went today and test drove the Audi A4 1.8T AWD quattro, with 16 " all seasons and performed extremely well in snow. But, other than that, the A4 does not compare in power, handling and sportiness. I have the Saab dealer to get me the winter tires demo car for another test drive, as some in this forum has suggested that it handles well in snow.
  • Options
    bill42bill42 Member Posts: 29
    Considering a new 9-3 Aero but the new Volvo S40 and the Volvo S60R intrigue me. Other than the price difference between the 9-3 and the S60R (about $4,000 list), and the slightly smaller size of the S40, anyone have any first-hand comments to make comparing the cars.

Thanks
  • Options
    Well, the new S40 looks like a nice package, but it's brand new and I don't think you'll have much real life data to go on. You'll lose some back seat and trunk space, but that may not be important. It will also sell for close to sticker right now. The S60 is a powerful beast, but I've heard that it has some torque steer issues. I also think that with the 9-3 incentives (currently $3000 for an Aero) and ability to buy at invoice or very close to it, you'll be closer to $5000 less than a comparably equipped S60. One possible sticking point is that if you really want NAV, you'll have to get the Volvo.

BTW, I have an '03 Arc and love it.
  • Options
    I used to live in a place where it snowed and I had no problems with my 2003 9-3 (16" wheels and all season tires). Was it as good as my A4 with Quattro? No. But it wasn't bad. Most 17" wheel and tire combos on the 9-3 are summer only. My car came with 17" wheels and summer tires plus the sports package -- but I had the dealer swap the 17" for 16" with all season tires. Now I live in California, where I could have kept the 17" wheels and summer tires -- but who knew.

Other stuff...

(1) Best Buy has a "Fit Guide" on their web site for car audio equipment. I picked "2003 SAAB 9-3 4DR SEDAN". How accurate is it? I mean, it says I can put a Pioneer - XM-Ready CD/MP3 Deck DEH-P8500M in my 9-3, which I know is BS... as you can't swap the radio as far as I know. Especially if you have the fancy radio with the LED screen. It is tied to the car. Not that I'd want to switch it out, but can I trust that tool? Doesn't seem that way. I've read on here new speakers can help a little bit, so....

(2) If I were to get new speakers, anything I should know about? (Installation, etc.?)

(3) If I got an external (one of the tiny ones) XM/Sirius unit, how would I tie it into my 9-3 (Linear)? Via FM signal? Any better way?

(4) Where would I mount it? Any ideas?
  • Options
    There is much info available on these subjects on Saab enthusiast websites. I don't think I can tell you what they are on this board, but a quick search will turn them up. SC is a good place to start

For one, there is now a way to have an aux input into the stereo - so you could hook up your XM unit that way (I have my MP3 player connected this way). Also several installations to show you the different ways to mount the XM unit
  • Options
    kman23kman23 Member Posts: 1
    Post 2344. I checked the website for my Gm Card and they said that it can not be used for Saab or Saturn. I researched and found that Gm once allowed it for Saturn but never for Saab. Where did you get your info. It would be great it we could use the points.
  • Options
    tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    Employees can use their 1% earnings on the GM Extended Family card along with their employee discount on all GM makes including Saab and Saturn. As you have said, I don't believe regular GM card earnings can be used toward these two brands.
  • Options
    Does anybody know what SAAB Arc leases are going for currently?? Car cost about $27,100 + TTT

Any idea what the money factor should be?

Thanks.
  • Options
    buddhabmanbuddhabman Member Posts: 252
    9-3 Aero vs S60 Volvo or even new S40/50. IMHO the Aero looks better, drives and handles better, is just as safe and probably more reliable. Incentives take a fully opted out 9-3 Aero from 35K to 31-32K maybe less. Both brands are nice I just prefer Saab as more of a drivers car. The TSX is an option and then so is the upgraded Subaru Legacy coming soon.
  • Options
    Rattles and Squeaks + Stereo

Hello everyone. A couple of things. I had my car (2003 9-3 Linear) in yesterday for an oil change. It had 14,501 and no oil warning light came on. The service manager said that while he has seen it come on as late as 15,000, he would just do it because the light &#147;should have come on already or soon will&#148; and that, &#147;coming back in 3 days is a waste of time for both of us.&#148; So that debunks two &#147;myths&#148; (I think I saw) on this site: (a) Light comes on no later than 14,400 and (b) dealer won&#146;t do free service unless light comes on.

I also asked him to look at some rattles and squeaks (again). The two big offenders have been fixed: (a) a ticking noise in the sunroof area and (b) a door rattle. But I still hear some stuff from (c) the B-pillar, (d) the glove box button mechanism and (e) the rear deck (parcel shelf). While these are minor, they are still annoying.

Even more annoying was that the service manager told me &#147;Saab doesn&#146;t look at rattles and squeaks after 16,000 miles.&#148; Has anyone else been told this? If this is the case, I&#146;m going to send a letter to Saab. It seems odd to me that they&#146;d stop supporting a problem before the warranty period is over -- especially when dozens (or more) of people on this web site (and other similar ones) have complained about such things.

As for the stereo part of this post, I&#146;ve been all over the place (Edmunds, SC, etc.) trying to get concise information on what to do for stereo (speaker) upgrades. Most of the information is geared towards people who will do the work themselves and/or is too technical for the average person.

To be honest, it is all a bit overwhelming. The two base scenarios (as I understand it) are: (a) 150 watt system and (b) 300 watt system. If someone has the 300 watt system, replacing the existing speakers with new ones seems to make a great difference. However, I have the 150 watt system, and from what I read, it is a great deal more work, as you have to add an amp, etc. to get good sound.

What about just adding better speakers (no-amp)? Can anyone confirm or deny this? I&#146;d like to get some better sound out of my vehicle, but don&#146;t want to spend more than $500 (including labor).

The thing that most confuses me is the posts that quote Saab as saying, &#147;The audio system now uses fiber optics, so standard speakers will not work.&#148; How can this be the case? I seriously doubt the $5 speakers they use in the car are digital (fiber connected).

Without saying &#147;go and search this web site&#148;, would someone be willing to take a stab at what issues/options are (including speaker sizes [all around], depth, ohms, etc. I&#146;m not looking to have the best system out there, but I&#146;d like to have a bit more range (and less distortion when I turn the volume up). At a bare minimum, I&#146;d like to replace what I&#146;ve got now, or even better, add some 6x9&#146;s. My biggest issue is that I&#146;ve read in many places that you just can&#146;t add a pair of 6x9&#146;s as &#147;even if you upgrade to 6x9 speakers yourself, it does almost no good, as a filter prevents bass from being sent to the rear speakers.&#148;

On a related topic, how do you know if you have the latest version of the software? The dealer&#146;s log from yesterday shows they updated the infotainment system, but I still can&#146;t get AUX to show up (albeit, I don&#146;t have an input cable attached to the head unit). I&#146;m thinking about having someone do the AUX-IN upgrade for me so I can hook up my MP3 player.

Lastly, I got a letter from OnStar saying my 1-year was up soon. I thought Saab was giving us 2-years since it took them forever to get OnStar working. Is it worth getting if I have to pay for it myself? I never use it (Safe and Sound). If it were $100 a year, maybe, but $200 is a huge waste it seems. Comments?
  • Options
    hermzoidhermzoid Member Posts: 2
    I am leasing a 9-3 Arc tomorrow with a money factor of .00153 = 3.67%.

I'm getting one with most of the options that lists at about $34,000 or $35,000, less a supplier discount. Saab pays the first month's payment, not to exceed $450. $500 rebate to me goes against cap cost, as does $2,000 from Saab to dealer. Only $30 down (tax on the $500 rebate.) $795 lease fee added to cap cost. 52% residual = about $18,000.

My credit rating is very good.
  • Options
    hermzoidhermzoid Member Posts: 2
    Gismo,

Check the edmunds editorial for more info but i just drove both 2 days ago and you're right - the Arc and Aero engines have a fair amount more power (I think about 30 more hp) and NO lag.