Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• fyi

The engine noises I had on my altima turned out to a loose heat pan... it was a quick fix.

Also they replaced two filter that nissan had recalled. When you go into the dealership for an oil change they type in your VIN and it pulls up any recalls relevant to your particular car.
  • I have a 05 3.5se. theres a weird noise coming from the engine. Noise sounds like a tractor. It comes and goes during warm up, turns, and hills. anyway I can fix this problem. another problem is my clutch. if i'm stuck in traffic longer than half an hour, i lose pressure in my clutch. need help really quick.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    1. Check your engine oil level

2. Check for exhaust manifold leaks and/or exhaust leaks under the hood.

3. Flush and bleed your hydraulic clutch system and inspect for external leakage.

• pham7pham7 Posts: 13
    I like to replace the kick plate with the aluminum ones for my car. Does any one know how to do it? Is it easy to pry off or else? I would appreciate for any answer. Thanks. :)
  • mikezakmikezak Posts: 95
    I have a 2007 Altima 2.5. I love the vehicle, however I have noticed that after being parked in the garage overnight, (or anywhere for a long time 5 hrs or so) the engine 'revs' loudly and sort of grinds for about 1/2 a sec when I start it. I currently have 2500 miles on it.

Does anyone else have this situation?

What could cause it?

Any reason I should be concerned?

Thanks.
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    If you live in california, then its a problem they've had with those cars. Might be the same for the other 7-8 states that have adopted cali's emissions standards. The good news though, is the fix is simple. It just needs the ECM updated. shouldn't take the dealership more than 10 min to do. here is a link to it.

link title
  • dbranchdbranch Posts: 3
    My problem ended up being a loose heat shield. Took about 2 days for them to order the part and put it on. Hope this helps.
  • What is a typical price for replacement of both front brake pads and rotors on a 1997 Nissan Altima GXE? Monroe Muffler and Brake is trying to charge me $449, then they offered me a coupon which brought it to $375. And I said no, because I could get the parts for much cheaper, so now they are saying $250. What is really a good, and fair price for this job (including labor).
  • jd10013jd10013 Posts: 779
    250 for a brake job doesn't sound too bad. Less than 200 and I'd be worried about the quality of the parts they were putting on.
  • I think a good way to check is to ask a dealer what they would charge. Sometimes they have coupon specials. (Waych out for small print.)

sOME DEALERS OFFER SENIOR CITIZEN DISCOUNTS (AROUND 10%)

i WOULD BE SUSPICIOUS OF ANY "DEALS" OFFERED. wHY DON'T YOU CHECK THE NET TO SEE IF THERE HAVE BEEN ANY COMPLAINTS?
  • I have the exact same noise in my '98 Altima when the A/C is on. The mechanics couldn't determine cause. How did they fix your car?
  • Hello,

If you still come to this forum, please help me out. I have the same problem with my Altima '06. I've taken it to the dealer but they couldn't find anything. it's driving me nuts. pls let me know what u did to fix the problem. you can drop me an e-mail at sal4la@yahoo.com or just post it up. i'll appreciate it.

Thanks
  • My 1998 Altima has a problem only before it is warmed up. I n the morning before work it starts fine, but as soon as I put it into ether drive or reverse it starts to shudder and stall. It kinda lurches and lugs along for at least a block or two before it clears up.I don't understand why it only happens after it sets all night .Its ok if it only sets for a few hours. We`ve put it into the shop only to have them replace the CV joint and axle assemblies on bouth sides. They needed it but it did not address the problem .They cant seem to figure it out. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    OK, had the codes read and they showed "knock sensor" and "transmission servo". I guess that's were to start.Still any suggestions will be appreciated.
    Ron
  • thanks, the engine noise disappeared. as for the clutch i found that you have to put a thicker grade, because the line is to close to the engine, so it'll boil or should i say bubble up.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,576
    Well that's not very good design, is it? Anyway, glad to hear you got that part solved!

• Correction on the cods. They are showing solenoid and knock sensor . Thanks again, Ron
  • pham7pham7 Posts: 13
    Is any one notice a light knocking on 07 Altima 3.5 V6 at all? I can hear a light knocking noise when I accelerate my car from a stop at a low rpm (2000 rpm). I pump 91 octane gasoline only.
  • ok my 3.5SE is supposed to have both. If you read the owners manual the verbiage is identical. Do I have both? I know i have VDC because it cost an extra $900. I have a default switch for it, but TCS is also to have a default switch and I don't have that. Can I assume that because I paid for VDC that TCS is a part of it and VDC is just an enhancement of TCS? May I also assume that when I switch VDC off that TCS is also switched off even though i don't have a switch? Or is it you get one or the other? I guess if I paid $900 for VDC I sure wished I knew what it did over and above TCS that cost me the extra bucks! Somebody smarter than me please figure it and and get back with me please. The owners manual is the same for both TCS and VDC, I swear it!
  • Does 2008 Altima 4 cyl have timing belt or chain?
  • A car having Traction Control doesn't necessarily have VDC , but a car having VDC does indeed have Traction Control ... turning off the VDC also turns off the tractio control ... Traction Control is mainly an anti-wheelspin mechanism whereas VDC not only controls that but also can help keep the car under control in certain cases of oversteer/understeer situations ...
  • All Nissan Altima models since 1993 have timing chains ...

For infrmation , from 1989 to 2004 only models with the 3.0 or 3.3 liter V6 ( Frontier , Pathfinder , Xterra , Quest , 300ZX , some Maxima) had timimng belts ... all other car models have had timing chains since 1995 ... since 2005 , all Nissan models have timimg chains ...
  • Love my 99 altima. Bought with 134K but now has 150K miles. Very reliable. Ever since I bought it though there is one problem. When I fill up at the gas station the gas must be dripped into the tank very slowly or a gurgling noise comes up the gas pipe and then it will eventually spit out gas.

I have checked to see that the pipe is clear. I have felt the gas intake point and the flapper there swings freely.

Note that I do not have a flapper at the top of the pipe. You know, the thin metal piece that seals the opening to the gas tank intake pipe.

Any hints, tips, ideas, comiserations?
    Winter is coming and its a bear to stand in the frigid air while the gas dribbles in and spills on the floor.

Thanks
  • Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone else has a condensor problem. Mine is is a brand new Altima with only 400 miles. The front passenger side floor gets wet whenever the A/C is on. I brought it back to the dealer and they cleaned the A/C drain. Didn't solve it...and now they have to get a new condensor from Japan! 2 weeks to get the part and they have to rip the entire dash out! I've only had the car for 4 weeks...but it's been at the dealer's shop for half the time! Anyone else experience this or am I just the "lucky" one? :lemon:
    Thanks!
  • Heeeeeeelp! I have a 94 Altima GXE automatic, 133,000 mi. It's been a good little car BUT now has some issues. First the distributor needed to be replaced a couple of times. Code 55 showed each time and oil was inside distributor cap. Ran ok for about three years but it's back. First Radio volume started going up or down when hitting a bump. Next antenna quit working and rear window would go up and down when starting. The wiring harness connector that attaches to the distributor fell apart. I got one at a junk yard and spliced it in. Runs fairly well but tach is still crazy and still has code 55. Do you think the Distributor or the spliced connection is causing the tach to go crazy? I took the cap off the distributor and no oil this time. Does anyone know how to disable the tach because I am sick of watching it? Should I replace the tach even though I don't see any oil? Thanks in advance to anyone who has an opinion on it.
  • Sorry thelast question should have read , Do I replace the distributor even though it doesn't show leaking oil?
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't had a response to my post and wondered if it was a bad or poorly written question or if no one knows the answer. The distributor is a lifetime guaranteed one from Auto Zone. The other replacement was NAPA. It failed in less that a year. Could something else cause the distributor to fail? From reading the other posts I see that tach jumping around (often peging to the right) may be the distributor. It also does this when the ignition switch is on but the car is not running. That seems weird. The action of the tach does not relate to the way the car is running. Also is it possible to replace the plastic connector to the distributor without splicing the wires? I couldn't see anyway of doing it so I spliced them. Definately not the ideal situation. It looks like replacing the whole harness would be a major operation.
  • The piece of plastic that the sun visor attaches to on the drivers side on my 1999 Altima has broken. I tried switching it with the passenger side piece but broke that in the process as well. Since it is such a small part I can't seem to find a replacement or even a part # for it. The sun visor itself is fine but the piece of plastic it attaches/screws into is what broke.
    Does anyone know where I can a replacement part?
  • Throughout my driving life, I have always soled these types of problems by going to my nearest junk (salvage) yard.
  • I have 94 Altima with a malfunctioning Tach. The needle is all over the place even when the ignition is on and the car is not running. Is this likely caused by a problem with the distributor? If not I would like to disable the tach. Can I cut or disconnect the lt blue wire that goes to the distributor and still have a running car and working air bags? When I look at a wiring diagram it appears the tach is linked to the air bags. Thanks
  • SkinsFan3,

I have a 1999 with the same problem. You can get it from the dealer for TOO MUCH $$. You have to get the whole visor assembly.

I have exhaustively searched online and there is nothing.

The only other option, as the first reply mentioned, is go to a junk yard. I called about 12 junkyards and finally found one for about $30.

Go skins, Redskins that is. Like that new QB. Living up here in the Mtns near the cola mines.

Jim