Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Nissan Altima Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• All Nissan Altima models since 1993 have timing chains ...

For infrmation , from 1989 to 2004 only models with the 3.0 or 3.3 liter V6 ( Frontier , Pathfinder , Xterra , Quest , 300ZX , some Maxima) had timimng belts ... all other car models have had timing chains since 1995 ... since 2005 , all Nissan models have timimg chains ...
  • Love my 99 altima. Bought with 134K but now has 150K miles. Very reliable. Ever since I bought it though there is one problem. When I fill up at the gas station the gas must be dripped into the tank very slowly or a gurgling noise comes up the gas pipe and then it will eventually spit out gas.

I have checked to see that the pipe is clear. I have felt the gas intake point and the flapper there swings freely.

Note that I do not have a flapper at the top of the pipe. You know, the thin metal piece that seals the opening to the gas tank intake pipe.

Any hints, tips, ideas, comiserations?
    Winter is coming and its a bear to stand in the frigid air while the gas dribbles in and spills on the floor.

Thanks
  • Hello All,

I'm wondering if anyone else has a condensor problem. Mine is is a brand new Altima with only 400 miles. The front passenger side floor gets wet whenever the A/C is on. I brought it back to the dealer and they cleaned the A/C drain. Didn't solve it...and now they have to get a new condensor from Japan! 2 weeks to get the part and they have to rip the entire dash out! I've only had the car for 4 weeks...but it's been at the dealer's shop for half the time! Anyone else experience this or am I just the "lucky" one? :lemon:
    Thanks!
  • Heeeeeeelp! I have a 94 Altima GXE automatic, 133,000 mi. It's been a good little car BUT now has some issues. First the distributor needed to be replaced a couple of times. Code 55 showed each time and oil was inside distributor cap. Ran ok for about three years but it's back. First Radio volume started going up or down when hitting a bump. Next antenna quit working and rear window would go up and down when starting. The wiring harness connector that attaches to the distributor fell apart. I got one at a junk yard and spliced it in. Runs fairly well but tach is still crazy and still has code 55. Do you think the Distributor or the spliced connection is causing the tach to go crazy? I took the cap off the distributor and no oil this time. Does anyone know how to disable the tach because I am sick of watching it? Should I replace the tach even though I don't see any oil? Thanks in advance to anyone who has an opinion on it.
  • Sorry thelast question should have read , Do I replace the distributor even though it doesn't show leaking oil?
  • ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I haven't had a response to my post and wondered if it was a bad or poorly written question or if no one knows the answer. The distributor is a lifetime guaranteed one from Auto Zone. The other replacement was NAPA. It failed in less that a year. Could something else cause the distributor to fail? From reading the other posts I see that tach jumping around (often peging to the right) may be the distributor. It also does this when the ignition switch is on but the car is not running. That seems weird. The action of the tach does not relate to the way the car is running. Also is it possible to replace the plastic connector to the distributor without splicing the wires? I couldn't see anyway of doing it so I spliced them. Definately not the ideal situation. It looks like replacing the whole harness would be a major operation.
  • The piece of plastic that the sun visor attaches to on the drivers side on my 1999 Altima has broken. I tried switching it with the passenger side piece but broke that in the process as well. Since it is such a small part I can't seem to find a replacement or even a part # for it. The sun visor itself is fine but the piece of plastic it attaches/screws into is what broke.
    Does anyone know where I can a replacement part?
  • Throughout my driving life, I have always soled these types of problems by going to my nearest junk (salvage) yard.
  • I have 94 Altima with a malfunctioning Tach. The needle is all over the place even when the ignition is on and the car is not running. Is this likely caused by a problem with the distributor? If not I would like to disable the tach. Can I cut or disconnect the lt blue wire that goes to the distributor and still have a running car and working air bags? When I look at a wiring diagram it appears the tach is linked to the air bags. Thanks
  • SkinsFan3,

I have a 1999 with the same problem. You can get it from the dealer for TOO MUCH $$. You have to get the whole visor assembly.

I have exhaustively searched online and there is nothing.

The only other option, as the first reply mentioned, is go to a junk yard. I called about 12 junkyards and finally found one for about $30.

Go skins, Redskins that is. Like that new QB. Living up here in the Mtns near the cola mines.

Jim
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    jonestoo,

Don't know the answers to all your problems. But, my 94 had the same oil problem. Caused car to stall when oil got inside distributor. My mechanic drilled a small hole in base to let it drain. No more oil problem.
  • Thank you. I never heard of that. Most mechanics just say replace the distributor. Do you know where they drilled the hole? Did they drill into the black distributor cap or the actual distributor? I think that would work as a preventative to keep the distributor from shorting out because of the oil. It's such a common problem on these Nissans. Sounds like a good idea to me. Thanks.
  • I have the same car, 94 Altima GXE automatic. My car has over 309,000 miles on it. I've never had a distributor problem. Nonetheless, I believe I have read your previous posts that mentioned distributor replacement with NAPA and AutoZone parts. In most cases there is nothing wrong with NAPA and AutoZone parts. but when ever I have tried to take the cheep road and install non genuine Nissan parts I have had problems. I have since learned it is better to pay more for the real thing once than to pay less for an off the shelf part twice. My advice is to replace the distributor and possibly the coil (hard to find new) with new Nissan parts.

I had a problem with the coil and it was very hard to diagnose. Some times the car would simply not start. The starter would turn over but it would not start. I consulted the Hanes Manual and tested ignition system with my multi-meter as subscribed. The only thing I could find was the coil resistance drop was slightly out of range. On a Saturday morning I got it started and took it to my Nissan dealer. The tech told me the coil was fine and wanted me to replace the distributor. He also told me that a bad coil can some times cause the distributor to malfunction. Not that I don't trust my deal's tech, but I know he can charge more to replace the distributor. Plus I tested it myself and had a strong feeling the problem was the coil - not the distributor. Therefore, I bought a new Nissan coil for my KA24DE engine and installed it myself. Since then it has started every time.

I have the same problem with the sun visor. My local Nissan dealer wants $120 for the driver's side visor - Yeah not with my budget. Meanwhile I've checked a couple of junk yards and they visors seem to be the first items people take. I'll keep checking back - hopefully I will find one soon.

Sincerely,

Ray Danley
  • Thanks Ray, I hope mine will go 300,000. It currently has 133,000 and people are amazed at how good it looks. I am not hard on my vehicles and keep them protected from the sun. Here in Florida the sun can be brutal.

I appreciate the info about the coil. I got two distributors from NAPA and they were both bad. One was bad right off the other failed at 9 months. The Auto Zone distributor has been in for about 3 years. I am not having a starting problem though it cranks a little longer than before. Just wondering if the tach has something with the distributor. A friend had a Dealer do his distributor (new Nissan distributor) and that car has never been as good. At least the Auto Zone distributor is a lifetime and they are easy to put in. Takes about 20 min. including getting the tools out.

I guess the distributor has been the only unusual problem I have had up until recently. In the last year the antenna quit going down. The rear window would go up and down when the car was started (I unhooked the motor). The radio volume goes up and down. Of course the tach is bouncing around. Sometimes it just quits. So the car is now developing some electrical gremlins.

I had thought about trading up but I've heard the early Nissan Altima are the best. I have been reading about all the problems the new cars have and I am afraid of them. I would hate to spend big bucks and end up with worse problems than I have on this old car. What have you replaced on yours? It might give me an idea of what to look out for. I appreciate your help and info. Thank you.
  • rugmankcrugmankc Posts: 133
    You're welcome. Don't know where he drilled. But, he's a top notch mechanic. Wherever, it allows it to drain with no impact to performance. I'd make sure whoever does it knows what thy are doing. If I can remember, I'll ask at my next oil change.
  • Glad you caught up ith one. Around here, we have great hope for tommorrows game with the Lions. Hopefully, the coaches will not screw up like the giant game. Not running Fortis or throwing to Cooley! Curses.

We go to C- Town from time to time. Does anyone ever win at those slots? Good thing they have the ponies. At least we get a chance to watch our money before it is eaten up by the slots.
  • My 97 altima is acting very strange. I have recently replaced the distributor, and that aspect of the car seems to be just fine. The problems are when driving the car the RPM's seem too high, but at a light or stop sign or even in park the idle is really low and seems like it wants to stall, but doesn't. The idle will go even lower if the radiator fan kicks on or if I use the power windows. Any suggestions?
  • sln74sln74 Posts: 3
    Hello, I have a 2005 Nissan Altima that is turning off while I am driving. It is so scary with my 2 kids in the car. The Nissan dealership here said they don't know what it could be and since my engine light is not on, they can not get a code from the computer. Did you find out what caused the problem and did you solve it?
    Thank you,
    Sam
  • ramancramanc Posts: 1
    I have 1999 nissan altima which has automatic transmission. It runs good in normal conditions. But, in reverse gear, i have to give lots of acceleration to move the car. I checked that the transmission fluid was clean, and was lacking about 1 quart of fluid. After adding the fluid, also, there is no improvement. Please help.
  • tleytley Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Nissan Altima 2.5S. The car has 68,000 miles. The car will be driving fine and then the engine will stop. After waiting 45 minutes, the car may restart - but the problem persists.

An error code says "camshaft position" is the problem. How is this problem fixed and how much does it cost?