Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Honda Odyssey 1999 - 2004

Comments

• hoss02hoss02 Posts: 19
    When you close a manual door, there is a certain level of care and caution used to make sure all passengers (namely kids) are either in their seats after entering or clear of the vehicle after exiting. I believe that the slow travel of the automatic door creates a situation where the driver (mom/dad) begins his or her motion toward the driver's door while the door is still closing. It's during this 10 second period that a small child may put a hand in the path of the closing door. I know all vehicles with these doors have safety mechanisms, and I don't know how sensitive they are. Try putting a 1/2 used roll of paper towels in the path of the door and see how well it reverses. This will give you an idea of how much pressure will be put on a small child's hand. I tried this at a Ford dealer a few years back on a '99 Windstar when they came out with auto-sliders in late '98. I used my wallet (I'm smart enough not to use my hand in these tests) and it exerted enough force on my wallet that would have, in my opinion, broken every bone in a child's (or adult's hand). Even if your test seems to show the door to be sensitive enough to prevent injury, ask yourself how reliable electronics around your household have been, and how long you can trust the sensor to remain calibrated. And how much do you trust the technicians (parts swappers) at the Honda dealer to test and calibrate them. Not to sound like Dennis Miller, but that's just my opinion. I could be wrong.
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Posts: 131
    That is exactly true, so if anyone gets hurt from the power sliders as mentioned above, shouldn't it be the parent's/driver's fault and not the system's (in the above case)? There is only so much one can do to make things "fool proof". All children who sit in the second seat in my van are strapped in and and told to stay put, whenever the doors are operating (i.e. no one touches the door).

A comparison to this would be AWD, does having AWD give some drivers more confidence than they should have? Yes, it does, but does that mean that AWD is not better than either FWD or RWD? Probably not. Given that the driver respects his/'her options and drives accordingly, AWD is still better to have (in terms of safety). Same goes with the power sliders. As usual, education about these conveniences is a better solution than putting blame on them.

BTW, I did test out the reverse-sensors on my sliders, started out with my forearm, then tried my hand. The doors do put a little squeeze on the hand, probably to a child it would hurt, but nothing that would cause dismembermant or broken bones (I hope).
  • ponch49ponch49 Posts: 17
    There has to be a better deal somewhere else. I purchased a used 99 EX last year for just over $24,000 Cdn with 55,000 kms. I managed to find someone who wanted out of their lease and purchased the van outright. With the mileage under 60k, I was also able to purchase the extended warranty (another great deal I managed to get through email requests to dealers). In the end, it is your money but I wouldn't spend it on that one...and with the price being nonnegotiable (firm), I would keep looking.
  • rockycowrockycow Posts: 114
    I have a couple of soft tissue dents caused by my 105lb daughter shutting the back door and pushing hard with the hand to shut it, NOW --we all shut the back door by pushing on the plastic tail light cover. I'm going to have the dents removed by a local paintless dent repairer
    rockycow
  • DTKWOKDTKWOK Posts: 131
    To close the rear hatch we use the handle to pull it down, when we feel the door rotate past the equilibrium point we let gravity do the rest. There should be no need to push it in to get it to latch. If you do, then your rubber bumpers (on the hatch) need to be adjusted. This is analogous to adjusting the tension on garage doors (non automatic ones of course). A properly adjusted door should be able to be opened/closed with one hand. Hope this helps.
    I'm thinking along the lines of kids who are old enough to climb aboard and belt themselves in, but not necessarily old enough to be fully aware of the closing door and the danger of getting fingers caught in it. Don't get me wrong: if my dealer had given me an EX at the price of the LX (or even split the difference in cost), I wouldn't have turned it down. I just think in terms of the necessity of power doors, once you're past the phase of carrying very young kids, their value becomes much lower, almost silly if you think about it. You wouldn't buy an automatic sliding door for your shower unless you were handicapped, right? Have we become so lazy that a sliding door requiring 5 pounds of force has to be automated? The automatic rear door on Chrysler minivans is even better, but at least some shorter-than-average people might argue that it's hard to reach up to it. I will say that closing the Odyssey rear hatch is much easier than the Dodge Caravan's.
  • Hi all, I am considering to install a hidden trailer hitch Class III for my 2000 Odyssey EX and am wondering if it could cause the rear end to sag. Also, do I need to install the transmission cooler as well. I plan to use the van to tow a 2000 lbs camper trailer. Any insight is welcome. BTW. I love my van.
  • dave84dave84 Posts: 75
    Differences between getting into a minivan and getting into a shower:

1. I very rarely need to open my shower door while holding an armful of groceries (only need two fingers to press the button for the power slider).

2. Sometimes I want the van door to open as I'm making my way towards the vehicle, so I can more quickly escape a rain shower. When I open the door to my shower, it's because I *want* to get wet.

3. When I'm traveling with small kids who may have trouble opening (and closing) a minivan sliding door by themselves, having the electric sliders is a great time saver and hassle ender. When I'm opening the shower door, it's usually because I'm the only one going in or out.

We have an EX, and think the power sliders are the best thing since sliced bread. Nineteen months of operation, one very energetic and strong-willed five year old, and no safety concerns.
  • My wife and I were test driving an EX last weekend. I tried to sit in the third row bench seat. Even with the middle row pushed forward, I felt like my knees were up my nose because the third row sat so low to the floor. (I am only 5' 10) Can anybody comment on the comfort level of the third row seats for adults?
    Obviously, you never saw the Seinfeld episode where Kramer prepared food in the shower; you never know when you'll have an armful of groceries going into one.
    I also have to take issue with you on the auto sliding doors being the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think that would go to the radio, TV, telephone, computer, microwave....
    Seattle Todd: If you sat in the third row yourself, and you now know it's not comfortable, are you hoping some short people will tell you that it's comfortable for them?
  • inkyinky Posts: 370
    I have, nice color but not super nice like the DM red on their vans. It is more of a ford red not candy apple. Toyota has very similar color on 02 Camry. Kind of a burnt red. Looks good in sunshine but a little gloomy in shadows. Anyhow, only waited two weeks and was the color available. What I like most it at least is known to be a 02 by color. Lots of those earth color vans running around.
    INKY
  • billg7billg7 Posts: 342
    The third seat is not going to be very comfortable for average size adults over long distances. It should work well for kids or adults over short distances. The Honda Odyssey third seat is rated for comfort, by Consumer Reports as the best of the minivans, and is rated above average.

Very few third seats are going to be very comfortable for adults over long distances. No minivans third seats will be. If you want that feature perhaps the largest GM SUV Suburban, would work and also full size vans.

A minivan is just not large enough to give you that feature and if you really want it a minivan is not for you.
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    After safety, 3rd row seat access, comfort and ease of use was one of our top concerns. I found the Odyssey to be as good or better than all other minivans in this regard. With the 2nd row seats moved forward, there is adequate leg room for average adults (interestingly, I am 5'10" also). With the second row back, it is pretty cramped, just like other minivans.

It's fine for adults on short trips. We've also had our teenage niece and cousin in the back for long trips and they said it was great. I wouldn't want to sit there for a long trip personally, though. As you said, if you have long legs, the shorter seat height will leave your knees higher than one of the captain's chairs.
  • dave84dave84 Posts: 75
    Yes, a bit of hyperbole, I admit. However, we have the power doors, you do not. I would think my opinion on their operation and usefulness is more relevant then yours. I like them. They are a very nice feature of the Odyssey EX.
  • cavillercaviller Posts: 331
    We chose an LX in part because we didn't like the operation of the power doors. They were too slow for our liking, and the logic of operation was also an annoyance.

We've had manual doors on vehicles for years, with no safety concerns.

Yes, injuries can happen. In fact, they can happen on power doors, too (see the NHTSA complaints database and the "other" Odyssey club to see various complaints).

In the end, if you like em, get 'em. If not, don't. I wouldn't sweat the differences over a perceived difference in safety, though.
  • carleton1carleton1 Posts: 560
    I am 5'8" and rode in the 3rd row of my sister's NEW 2001 Odyssey EX the day after they got it to test the comfort. The 3rd row was comfortable for me with the 2nd row seats pushed as far to the rear as they go.
    I took their OdyEX for a test drive when it had 3,000 miles after they had me take them to the airport in it (with their permission to take the longer route home). It drove very nicely at speeds up to 80 MPH. We test drove a 2002 Ody EX-Nav-L Dec 29,2001 and feel the 2002 is even nicer and quieter than 2001 and the 1999 we test drove.
  • We own a 1997 Odyssey LX with 151,000 miles on it and counting. 2nd Odyssey 2002 EX on the way in 3 weeks.
    Dave, enough said, point taken (it's all "sour grapes" to a cheap b___ like my who wouldn't spring for an EX anyway). But I am interested to see what injuries have been reported in other posts as mentioned by caviller.
    Seattle Todd: Your description of the third row seats promted me to go to my garage and climb back there (something I had planned to avoid for the life of the vehicle). Being 6'2", I found it to be as described above: comfortable for short trips, probably more than fine for kids. I wouldn't want to spend a long trip back there, although that would greatly depend upon who else was up front. Sometimes pain is a relative thing.
    I now have 1,100 miles and so far, so perfect. Although I must add that my '99 Grand Caravan had nary a rattle until 14,000 miles. From that point on it seemingly self-immolated. I do not expect that to happen with the Honda.
  • Just took my 2000 lx ody in for some warranty checks. Advisor asked if I had any maintenace service done ( I assumed their 20k 30k packages etc). I said no and he promptly handed me a generic photo copy maint schedule. Part C says to replace tranny fluid at 30k. Dealer just called and said tranny fluid was very dirty and recommends it be changed. Cost $28.13. Since my service book is in the glove box I cannot check what Honda really recommends. Can anybody help me with what the owners manual really says? Also how hard is it to do myself? For the 28 I am inclined to just get it done. Thx
  • grandtotalgrandtotal Posts: 1,207
    I don't know about the 2001 but the 2002 book says change it at 45k or 36 months whichever comes first. That's the normal schedule, if you operate under severe conditions it says 30k or 24 months. I don't think it's worth skimping on these things and would follow the dealer's recommendation. For $28 you've got to go and buy new fluid, do the work, dispose of the old fluid, clean yourself and your garage floor or driveway up after you spill some. Is it worth it?