Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln Aviator

Comments

• Options
    avfan2avfan2 Member Posts: 23
    If you unlock all of the doors with the keypad (instead of the the fob) the rear window will unlatch. As you drive away the window will pop up. That's how I learned about it.
  • Options
    interested4interested4 Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the info but we are looking for anyone who has had problems with the rear window opening while driving. Ours is not connected to the fob button but actually has happened two hundred miles into a trip. It will just suddenly open. Curious how other owners solved the problem.
  • Options
    interested4interested4 Member Posts: 3
    Raul-told car has built in safety feature that you are not suppossed to be able to use fob buttons while driving. Did try to open buttons while driving to confirm and wasn't able to-like the safety feature said. Thanks.
  • Options
    jb7227jb7227 Member Posts: 86
    Does anyone know if there is an Aviators Owners Club? I noticed that LS owners have a very active organization - maybe there should be one for us proud Aviator owners out there (maybe include Nav's as well!!) Just a thought...
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We could add an Aviator branch to the Lincoln Owner's Club if there's interest.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mrt9mrt9 Member Posts: 6
    What exactly does the Lincoln Owners CLub do? And what benefit would we reap from an Aviators Owner Club ?
  • Options
    Owner's Clubs tend to focus more on the car, and there's less traffic by shoppers and fewer comparison threads to other rides.

There's more emphasis on the owners and pic links are popular too.

Here's an example:

Lincoln LS Enthusiasts

Steve, Host
  • Options
    thanks for the info -- Yes, I am all in favor of an Aviators Owners Club -- now that there is an established base of owners for this delightful vehicle -- and we don't need to wade through the unnecessary accolades and congratulations for a good deal -- but settle down and focus on issues -- problems, improvements and the like.

How do we go about getting an owners club started and can we elect akirby as our leader?
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    umm..err..I'm flattered but don't really have the inclination to do something like that right now.

You don't need a leader to create an owner's club here. It's just a collection of forums. Let's start there and see how it goes.
  • Options
    Word is that the Aviator will be added to the Lincoln Owner's Clubs next week or so. Look for a Problems and Accessories discussion, etc. to join this one and the Lincoln Aviator: Prices Paid & Buying Experience board.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    georgefarmergeorgefarmer Member Posts: 98
    There is a Aviator up for bid on Ebay. Current high bid is $25,000. Milage is 20,000's
    George
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    There are always Aviators available on e-bay. Do you have some special interest in this one?

tidester, host
  • Options
    wstuntzwstuntz Member Posts: 2
    I recently bought a 2003 Aviator and was very surprised that they did not come with a cargo area cover to hide valuables, so the dealer threw one in. Unfortunately it is worthless - you can see the complete area through the gap between the cover and the rear hatch, plus if you have bucket back seats you can see in between those, so nothing is hidden. My Aviator was broken into one week after I bought it, and my briefcase was stolen. The police saw where the thief pressed his hands against the glass to peer in before breaking into the car. I have not been able to find any aftermarket covers, so I am now hanging blankets over the cargo area - disgusting for a $50k car! I will sell this car as soon as I can get a decent price.
  • Options
    gunfghtr13gunfghtr13 Member Posts: 9
    I recently purchased a Lincoln Aviator with Nav and am extremely pleased with the vehicle, and dealership in Washington DC area. I need help finding out a website forum for keeping up to date on information. I have been researching and have not found anything worthwhile. My last vehicle was a 02 GMC Yukon XL and found tons of forums. I am specifically interested in Catch All mats, HID driving light upgrades (Have Low Beam HID's and am extremely happy with them !!) information on Nav ETC. Any help would be greatly appreciated .. SEAN
  • Options
    Congratulations! And, BTW, you ARE in the right place to keep up on the Aviator.

tidester, host
  • Options
    I read a newspaper article this morning about a recent Insurance group funded testing as to crashworthiness of new and redesigned mid-size SUV's. The "good" results included many comparable vehicles but not the Lincoln. I am wondering if anyone has information about this. Is this a different size classification or was it not tested. If it was tested, does anyone know the results?
  • Options
    congratulations gunfghtr13 on your purchase! my aviator is awesome - i have about 750 miles on it already. as soon as i picked up the car, i went to the parts department to ask about the heavy duty mats - and they had a set of front & rear mats (rubber) with the deep channels for water/mud and the front ones also had the Lincoln star on them. Since i have the Dove gray interior, i went with the dark grey mats. i also got a carpeted mat from gg bailey for the rear compartment - interestingly, ford does not offer one. floor mats cost me about $100, cargo mat about $90. good luck with your ride!
  • Options
    The Aviator was not tested (ditto for the explorer/mountaineer). They only tested models that were new or significantly redesigned:

Cadillac SRX, Chrysler Pacifica, Lexus RX330, Infiniti FX, Toyota 4Runner, Nissan Murano,
    Honda Pilot, Mitsubishi Endeavor, Kia Sorento
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    " The "good" results included many comparable vehicles but not the Lincoln. I am wondering if anyone has information about this. Is this a different size classification or was it not tested. If it was tested, does anyone know the results? "

Because the Aviator is pretty much an Explorer with a few added features, larger engine, more insulation, ect. It doesn't need to be tested, and the results of the regular Explorer/Mountaineer will suffice.

Notice with various vehicles that are similar as Crown Vic/Grand Marquis, Sable/Taurus, they only test one of those vehicles, and the results apply to the twin vehicle as well. And this isn't just a Ford issue either, the Toyota 4Runner was tested, yet the Lexus GX470 wasn't, essentially for the same reason.

Also notice, there's many low volume vehicles they hardly ever test. Such as sports coupes Miata, Celica, MR2, and premium vehicles such as Aston Martins, Ferrari's, ect. You won't see much results for those. They rather concentrate their money and efforts on vehicles that more consumer's will have, and will be more prevelant on the roads.
  • Options
    raul69raul69 Member Posts: 28
    I purchased my Aviator back in July 03' and I am still trying to get Catch all mats. I am constanlty checking the niftyproducts.com website, which is the manufacturer of these mats.
    Every time I call a dealer they tell me that it will be another month before they come out. Hope they get them soon.
  • Options
    clpurnellclpurnell Member Posts: 1,083
    I know this may be blaspemy but couldn't you guys order explorer or mountaineer mats in the appropriate colors and use them. As many of the trio are sold total there has to be mats out there.
  • Options
    nvbankernvbanker Member Posts: 7,239
    you can't do that. Just wouldn't be right!!! When you pony up for the Lincoln, you gotta have the right stuff!!
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    Sorry for the delay! Click on the link at the top to go to the Lincoln Owners club.

KarenS/Senior Host/Owners Clubs
  • Options
    jmez44jmez44 Member Posts: 26
    This looks like a place to get genuine Lincoln mats. Its from the Ford website.

http://www.fordgenuineaccessory.com/detail.asp?product_id=3C5Z781- 3300AAA-127&GID=
  • Options
    ANT14ANT14 Member Posts: 2,687
    November sales totalled 2610, total unit sales for the year are over 26K, therefore dismissing ANY and ALL previous statement by some auto journalists/publications that the Aviator sales were dismal and not living up to Ford's expectations.
  • Options
    joyride3joyride3 Member Posts: 1
    After just purchasing an Aviator the sales manager was trying to sell an upgraded alarm system. From what I understand, the basic alarm is passive which prevents the car from starting and sounds an alarm for doors or hood opening. The upgrade provides things like glass break coverage. Any thoughts on whether this is a option to consider?
    Also has anyone purchased window tinting? Is it a worthwhile consideration for glare and security?
  • Options
    gteach26gteach26 Member Posts: 576
    On my 03 Navigator I tinted the front windows the same shade as the back ones (MAY be illegal in your area). IMO this gives the truck a much nicer look and it gives you greater privacy and safety (harder to peek in, harder to break the glass, etc.) and at night you'll have TOTAL privacy :)

Cost was around 60 bucks with a "for as long as I own the vehicle" guarantee. Any reputable shop can do the work for you -- the dealership will probably charge way too much!

As for the alarm.. with the micro chip in your key the only way to steal this puppy is to load it up on a flatbed and carry it off or be a techno nut who can override the computer -- either way if they want your truck that badly, they WILL get it regardless of what other alarms you put in! Also, In my dealership all Aviators and Navigators come with lojack already installed, so an added alarm seems like overkill.

IF you still want an extra alarm, I'd go with the overpriced dealership system on this one just to get the warranty benefits. I would not want a non-lincoln tech fiddling around with my car's very expensive electronics.

Congrats on your purchase and good luck!
  • Options
    tallship2tallship2 Member Posts: 9
    With 1300 miles on my Aviator, I just noticed the whine that other people have complained about; 50-60 mph only when you step on the gas. The noise is very minimal now...I can just hear it over the radio. Does it get progressively worse, or is the initial noise the ultimate noise level?
  • Options
    mlwlkmlwlk Member Posts: 10
    Sorry to hear about your surprise Aviator accessory; the infamous REAR AXLE WHINE (no charge). I have about 6,500 miles on my Aviator and the noise is very loud and very obnoxious. Mine started off softer too. I guess I'll take it back to the dealer for it's second maintenance session even though it's not officially due for another 2,500 miles. In Texas, if the dealer attempts to repair the defective automobile three times without success, the vehicle is declared a LEMON and then we arbitrate a settlement. Both the dealer and my attorney keep telling me to have more patience, but it's so very hard to keep driving such an expensive SUV with such an annoying, bothersome defect. My advice to potential Aviator buyers would be to get the owner or President of the dealership to guarantee in writing that if your new Aviator develops a rear axle whine within six months or 7,500 miles, you will be given a 100% refund of the purchase price of the vehicle. Good luck tallship2!
  • Options
    gunfghtr13gunfghtr13 Member Posts: 9
    I have also called Nifty and have also been told in another month they will be out for the Aviator. I have a very light interior and a big German Shepherd, so I will probably get a black/charcoal set of mats for it. As far as ordering Ford explorer/mountaineer mats, I am told there are differences and was instructed to wait due to the split seating etc. I am also very concerned about the whine in the transmission and really appreciate the information from members on their experiences on a fix. I read reports of this site prior to purchase and hope Lincoln/Ford will take care of this so we do not have to use the States Lemon Laws to force Lincoln to deal with this. Anyone with additional information on a fix would be greatly appreciated. Thanks .. SEAN
  • Options
    I have been assured by Lincoln executives (can't mention any names or my post will be deleted...again) that they are aware of the problem and are working on a fix. When I get an update I'll let everyone know. I suspect the rear half-shafts or the differential. The LS had a similar problem that turned out to be the half-shafts. Going to a different size half-shaft reduced it by about 80 or 90%. Of course at this point it's sheer speculation.

I haven't noticed mine getting worse. I did notice that with luggage in the back it muffled the noise quite handily. So you could throw some stuff back there if it's really bothering you.
  • Options
    Thanks, mlwlk and akirby. I have a service appt set for January so I'll let the dealer know about it then. I guess I should check the lemon law here in Calleeforneeah (the new pronunciation of our state) to see what it says. I'll stay tuned for your info, akirby.
  • Options
    How's the Governator doing over there?
  • Options
    Just saved me about two grand on taxes. I was told by the dealer that even though I bought the Avi seven days before the tax was scheduled to triple, the state was going to bill me for the full amount because I registered it in a company name. The first thing he did as Governator was to repeal the tax increase. Go Arnuldh!
  • Options
    heyjewelheyjewel Member Posts: 1,046
    Arnold made several big promises during his campaign. So far he has kept 2 and is working on the others. Can anyone say the same about ANY "real" politician? He has:

- Repealed the *tripling* of the auto license fee that Demo Davis enacted.
    - Repealed the idiotic reward of a California drivers license to criminal aliens sneaking across the border. Also signed by Demo Davis as a cheap attempt to get the 'Latino' vote, as if all Latinos are in favor of illegal immigration. Most of those I know are definitely NOT.

He accomplished both of these with the support of the largely Democratic Cal Assembly. They are scared blankless of him. I LOVE it. They are the idiots who got the state into this mess. They know they're on the verge of being Terminated and many are gleefully brown-nosing Arnold.

There are still lots of people who think Arnold should have stayed an actor. And of course, there's the miscreants who'd love to discredit him with the groping stuff (seen Doonesbury lately? - he compares Arnold to Adolph - quite intelligent commentary). But folks are seeing that he is walking the walk he promised and doubters are being converted to supporters.

The only problem I'm having with him? I'm a bit tired of hearing him say "I'll be back" :>)

Back to Lincolns.
  • Options
    Arnold also chose 2 new Lincoln Navigators for the official state vehicles - i love it!! Those poor SUV bashers in california are going to have to pick on someone else
  • Options
    Good for Ahnoldh! He should get an Aviator for Marie, and dump the Prius.
  • Options
    The fact that any American politician (or their spouse) would be driving a foreign car, even in California, is a shame. Even if they are made in the U.S., the money ultimately still flows overseas!
  • Options
    jmez44jmez44 Member Posts: 26
    Just figured I'd chime in with how well the Aviator performed in the snow here in the East. We got about 6 inches, in some case a foot with drifts etc...I didn't take it out in the real heavy stuff, just the local roads that had a few inches on them. The aviator was smoothe, i was in control the whole time. I was able to go up steep roads here without a problem. Props to the AWD!
  • Options
    I have my eye on one for my Wife for Christmas that's currently sitting on the showroom floor with a big bow on it. Gonna check for numbers tomorrow.
  • Options
    hilnhiln Member Posts: 7
    Did you get you Aviator yet? We have a 2003 AWD- the one thing I wish I had now were the heated seats- they are cold in the winter and our tushie freeze. I never had leather seats though so I thought it was a bogus thing- NOT. Anyhoo- I LOVE MY CAR- vivid red with 2500k on it now- no grind. Keeping fingers crossed on that one. The deal with it loaded like you have sounds right- they were also listed at that price- or more at our dealership, but I had to have the RED one. It does sound like a jet plane when you fire her up- but I have read that is standard as on the explorer. We just say "Prepare for takeoff" after start up. I would recommend this car over any other- it is sooooo beautiful inside and out.

Good Luck!

Ellen
  • Options
    albellalbell Member Posts: 185
    I drove my 04 in a variety of conditions this weekend, ranging from slushy to 2+ feet of snow (in my driveway!) The performance was excellent throughout. No difficulty on maintaining stability or traction even uphill on very marginal roads. Much more capable than my previous Rx300. Glad I made the switch, especially with 2 little ones in the rear.
  • Options
    The new Lincoln Aviator Owners: Accessories & Modifications and Lincoln Aviator Owners: Problems & Solutions discussions need some activity.

If we don't get some soon, I'm gonna start telling Willie Brown stories in here!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    mlwlkmlwlk Member Posts: 10
    I just picked up my Aviator (6,962 miles) from my service rep at the Lincoln dealership, and for the first time since shortly after buying the SUV, I now hear no REAR AXLE WHINE at any speed! Luckily, I was able to get a Ford Motor Company Engineer to look at my Aviator and personally drive and listen to the loud, obnoxious noise coming from the rear end. Evidently, the Engineer instructed the dealership to install the following part (V-670-H) having the following description (AX ASY RR 3.55). The service rep said that the REAR AXLE WHINE may come back, but that there will be an "official" Ford Motor Company solution in late February or early March which I would certainly be included in. Good luck to other REAR AXLE WHINE owners; I sincerely hope that this information helps you to get your Aviator fixed as well. What a great SUV this is when it's quiet!!
  • Options
    If form holds your whine will be back in about a week. I sincerely hope not, but that's what happened to others after having the differential replaced. Just don't be too surprised.
  • Options
    wesley1derwesley1der Member Posts: 49
    I seem to be froze. Not getting any new post. What's up?
  • Options
    There aren't any problems I am aware of. Perhaps many are out holiday shopping!

tidester, host
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    is this available on the avi?
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    Yes it is, through the roof. Even on the one with a sunroof. Very effective.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    that's good. i have it on my eb explorer, and think it's great. i must have missed it on the features list. otherwise it takes the heat/cooling a while to work it's way back to the 3rd row. nothing like sweating in the front, while hearing 'i'm still cold' from the 'way back'.
    of course, in nv you probably don't have to deal with that much. :)
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert