Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

1962 Cadillac - any driving experiences out there?

Comments

• speedshiftspeedshift Posts: 1,598
    No, I've never seen a manual with colors. I think the sales brochures are the best source for that, although there can be a difference between what the color looks like printed and what it looks like on a car.

I think what you're running across is that when a car is repainted the color is usually eye matched, or it may even just be a stock color that happens to be close to the original. Each factory color has a formula and unless the new paint follows that formula it'll be noticeably different.
  • parmparm Posts: 723
    A gentleman was kind enough to post these for me on the CLC website message board. So, here are the Cadillac colors available in 1962 (sorry the formating is a bit off).

Color Code
    White....................1
    Black....................2
    Concord Blue.............3
    Sandalwood...............4
    Med. Saddle Tan(Bronze)..5
    Pink(Heather)............8
    Red......................9
    Ebony(black).............10
    Olympic White............12
    Nevada Silver............14
    Aleution Grey............16
    Newport Blue.............22
    Avalon Blue..............24
    York Blue................26
    Turquoise................29
    Sage.....................32
    Granada Green............36
    Sandalwood...............44
    Maize....................45
    Driftwood Beige..........46
    Laurel...................48
    Pompeian Red.............50
    Burgundy.................52
    Silver "Fire-Frost"......61
    Gold "Fire-Frost.........64
    Neptune Blue.............94
    Pinehurst Green..........96
    Victorian Green..........97
    Bronze...................98
    Heather..................99

You can find the paint code on the Cadillac body number plate. It is riveted to the cowl at the left of center under the hood.

Convertible top color codes

White....................1
    Black....................2
    Lt. Gold.................4
    Med. Blue................5
    Lt. Sandalwood...........6
    Med. Pink................7
    Lt. Blue.................8
    Found a great website to find paint chip samples of classic cars. It's called autocolorlibrary.com.

Here's a link showing the colors available for Cadillac in 1962.

http://autocolorlibrary.com/cgi-bin/search/searchpic.pl?1962-cadillac-pg01.jpg

• impeimpe Posts: 33
    Thanks for the info on the paint chips. I just printed out the paint chip sheet for 1969.

I am finally finished, (with a lot of help from Cadillac friends out on the Web), figuring out what all those codes are on the ID Plate. I really had a problem with "FWD" which turns out to be the "Fleetwood Detroit" Assembly Plant.

Last Sunday, I took the dog out for her first ride. She sat in the back seat with the top down. She liked it - sort of like riding in the pickup but much more smooth. At 65 mph her fur was flying up into the front seat so badly that I had to slow down because it was getting in my eyes.

This car is only 3.25 feet shorter than our pontoon boat, but handles marginally better.

This is going to be a fun car - can't wait for Spring to get here. For those of you who are contemplating, my advice - take a hint from Nike - just do it!

Again, Thanks for the color chip info.

Impe
    Can you repeat your advice? I want my wife to read it. ;-)
    I'm looking at a '62 Eldorado convertible that was restored around 10 years ago. I'm in the process of setting up an inspection by a Cadillac LaSalle Club member who knows exponentially more about these cars than yours truly.

However, last week I did my own informal walk-around inspection. The thing that impressed me the most was how solid the car felt when doing the "door closure" test. The doors closed with a nice, solid "thunk" without fuss or any rattles.

This partially explains my desire for a 1962 Cadillac. For their day, these cars were well built - which I'm hoping translates into a car that in 2002 feels alot more solid compared to a 65-66 Mustang convertible, 66-67 GTO convertible or most others from any of the Big 3.

I don't have any illusions that a '62 Cadillac would even begin to compare with a modern car, but I'm hoping the total package would compare favorably to any other domestic of similar vintage thereby allowing me to get the biggest bang for my buck.

Anyone care to agree or disagree?
    All I can tell you is that the full-size GM convertibles I've had generally felt more sold than the GM intermediate convertibles I've had, apparently depending on the full-sizer's price range, so I think you're headed in the right direction.

The '65 Tempest and '67 LeMans convertibles I owned were real flexiflyers. If they're typical of GM intermediate convertibles then I don't want another one. The '66 Wildcat felt solid and the '63 Starfire convertible was like a bank vault. The '61 and '65 Impalas didn't feel either loose or tight, kind of in between. The '61 Bonneville felt really sloppy, especially since I owned the Starfire at the same time. All of these cars had a goodly number of miles so I don't think that was a big variable in my case.
  • carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    convertible back in 1962 at a car show. I remember the sticker price was $6300, a lot for that time, since my Dad's new Impala SS stickered at around $3500. That Cadillac left an impression-it was maize color [kind of a butterscotch] with matching leather interior. A beautiful car, I thought. I always liked the 61-62 Cads better than any others from the 60s. I was looking at the Collector Car Trader Online website last night, and was surprised to see a number of 62 Cad convertibles, all of them nice, ranging in price from the low teens to the low-mid twenties. Might want to check it out. I still maintain that the 61-63 Cads, with the 390 engines, Hydramatics, and high geared rearends would push the high teens on the road for gas mileage. This is what I've heard over the years for those models. Anyway, go for it, and tell me about it. My 62 Impala SS with 42,000 original miles is a close cousin wannabe. Always fun to cruise in.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,664
    Every time you talk about your 62 SS Impala, I conjure up fond memories of the one I had.

What a beautiful car! I remember the factory A/C blew out the COLDEST air of any car I've owned since.
    so I'll be taking the 62 out for more and more cruises. I just love the car-it takes me back to the summer of 62, when I was cruising in my Dad's IDENTICAL new 62 SS. And like you said, Isell, the Powerglide isn't that bad! Still shifts tight, and that 327 has plenty of torque. Hey, the sun's out! Think I'll take it for a cruise.
    Yeah, sure, rub it in ;-).
    OK. I've found a 1962 Cadillac convertible in my area and am in the process of setting up the inspection. I've enlisted a fellow Cadillac LaSalle Club member who's way more knowledgeable (compared to me, that wouldn't be hard) about 1960's Caddies.

But, I thought I'd ask you folks if you have any "pet" trouble spots we should look for. This car lacks A/C so I won't have to worry about diagnosing a compressor, etc. The car received some restoration work about 10 years ago.

Gentleman, the floor is yours . . . .
    1962 is one of my favorite years for Cadillac, and being a carnut for nearly fifty years, I know a few things, but not specific to 62 Cadillacs. I figured, as I think others did, that since you had a Cad LaSalle club member with you for help, that would eclipse much of anything I could say. I would say, though, having recently bought a pristine 62 Impala SS with 42,000 oroginal miles-one of the first things I would do before driving the car any distance is check/replace all the brake hoses, even if its had a recent "brake job". I had a scary experience years ago that drove this point home. I'd also check the transmission for leaks, the color of the oil-all the usual things. I don't know what condition or price your talking, but I know it's easy to counterfeit ID plates to make matching numbers, so if you're paying extra for a matching numbers car, I'd look close at documentation, etc. Otherwise, look for rust-especially around the rear shock mounts and towers, and inside the trunk. Other than that, I'm not a Cad expert. Anyway, keep us posted, and good luck!
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 44,630
    You have to be careful with club people, though. They tend to think their cars are worth a lot more than they really are. So use the guy for his mechanical info and experience, but rely on pricing information from elsewhere.

• I saw a ragged 62 Cadillac Fleetwod on the Via Expresa (Freeway) there in Lima. WHat a story that car could tell about its life if it could talk...
  • impeimpe Posts: 33
    I hope it works out for you. I am really having fun with my "new" 69 convertible - but - one thing I have found out is that little things which are missing on my car are very expensive to replace or just really had to find. For example, the little chrome bezzles (sic) that go around the front seat release levers are missing as are the little plastic lever tips. I found replacement bezzles but they are really expensive and therefore are low on the priority list. But when I get into the back seat my eyes go straight to those missing bezzle holes; it makes me crazy. another thing I am finding out is that the options such as the power seats, the auto dimming lights, the auto climate control etc are troublesome at least on my car.

If you get the car, try to get a shop manual for that year. I got one.

It has not helped me fix anything yet but at least I know how the broken stuff is supposed to work, and how it looks. Mostly the shop manual has pointed out to me just how little I really know about cars!

If you get the car, let us know particulars colors etc, and again, good luck.

Allen Impellitteri
  • isellhondasisellhondas Issaquah WashingtonPosts: 17,664
    Thet club member looking at your car. He may or not be an expert. He may fluff his feathers and point out every minor flaw like it's the end of the world or like Shifty says, he may have an inflated opinion of the value since he owns one.

Still, I think it's a good idea. Just he impartial, as unemotional as possible, and have fun!
    The inspection went well. The two Cadillac club members I enlisted were a physician and an attorney (no jokes please) and both were very nice gentlemen and knowledgeable - in that between them they own 7-8 Cadillacs from the late 50's through the mid-60's. Both were regular, gearhead car guys who do there own wrenching. So, these guys don't just sit along the side lines. They were thorough and I'm sure glad they helped me out.

Anyway, I've made an offer and anticipate hearing something back in a few days.

I'm on the fence in terms of getting this car. Part of me really wants it and part of me is saying, "Are you nuts? What in the hell are you doing!"

So, if things don't work out I'll be both disappointed and relieved at the same time.
    Well, strictly speaking, you are nuts. No one needs an old car--just ask your wife. But if you've got the discretionary income then what the hey. Fun isn't all bad.
  • ghuletghulet Posts: 2,628
    Think of all the awful things many other people spend their money on: expensive clothing, ridiculously expensive meals, booze, alcohol, gambling. I know I'm being a bit 'negative' here, but at least a car addiction, while expensive, at least in theory will yield something that has some monetary value when you tire of it.
    Money is rather useless if you don't spend it sooner or later. It doens't burn all that well, and isn't the best for stuffing mattresses, nor is it very water-absorbent.

• andre1969andre1969 Posts: 21,914
    ...long after those overpriced Timberlands have worn out, those bright Polo colors have faded, that expensive meal has gone to your gut, the booze is gone (remember, you don't buy beer, you only rent it!), and your paycheck has been blown on the horses, dogs, cards, whatever, you'll still have that beautiful Caddy to cherish!
    I hope our wives/significant others are reading this.

But my wife makes an interesting point. She says you need to save money when you're younger so you can have a decent lifestyle when you retire. And you will retire some day, either because you want to or because you have to.

Moderation in everything. That's why I cringe when I read about someone putting good money into some beater only they can appreciate. I don't think even the mainstream collectibles are good investments compared to careful investing in real estate or the stock market.

Someone like Parm isn't going to blow it. He's too analytical to make a dumb decision. It's the eat/breathe/sleep cars guys I worry about. I don't know why, they're probably having more fun than me.
    Yeah, nothing like scrimping and saving all your life so that you can get to the beach when you're 65 and shuffle around in the sand before the cruise ship honks for you!

Problem with wife's philosophy (basically sound) is that she presumes we all have a future. When does one stop postponement of critical things like buying an old car?

My only worry is , who do I will my old cars to when it looks like it's time to go? Maybe my girlfriend? She's been with me on several car purchases, and she'd encourage another one if I wanted. Still, though, I don't think I'll ever get that Ferrari Daytona. Wish I knew someone close who had one.
    Sure, I could get run over by a bus tomorrow--but I probably won't.

It's a balancing act. Have fun, keep an eye on the future. Don't overcommit to either.

But I've been young and poor and it's a lousy combination. Old and poor sounds even worse.
    Well, DIRT poor, yes. But poor is relative. I know people with one million who are whining because they really NEED two. Great case for evolution: Who would ever make a product this defective?

Of course, I wouldn't go broke for a car, no way. But think....GASP!...of when we are old geezers and won't be ALLOWED to drive anymore!

Thanks. You're right. I'm not offering the moon for this car.
  • jsylvesterjsylvester Posts: 572
    My girlfriend keeps expressing an interest in driving my 67 Galaxie 500XL Convertible. Do any of you let the lady in your life drive your old cars? Keep in mind she drives a 2000 Corolla, a car in which you can actually feel the steering.
    No, my wife never wanted to drive my cars but I did put her in the back of my '50 Plymouth wagon to track down a rattle.
This discussion has been closed.