Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

VW Touareg SUV

Comments

• quemfalaquemfala Posts: 107
    What's the price difference between the V-8 engine and the V-10 Diesel?
  • nmpnmp Posts: 19
    ....In the new Car and Driver mag, there is a picture of the long wheelbase/3rd row version undergoing winter testing.

....Supposedly should be here in '05 (maybe as an '06 model??). Maybe the "What's new in 2005" board should not have been banished to Read Only so quickly. :-)
  • quicksquicks Posts: 3
    I Agree with nmp
  • mnmatchesmnmatches Posts: 111
    This happened to my Ford Explorer after I had it in the shop. It ended up being that my main ground wire was loose and causing the problem (along with a number of others).
  • highenderhighender Posts: 1,362
    congrats on your new Toureg V10 !!!

it rocks... !
  • Anyone know if the European 2.5 TDI will come the the states soon? How about importing one to the states, anyone try that? I have am at my wits end on this slowness of the US market to bring suv diesels here. And the V10 does NOT count! We need an engine for the masses not a high end toy.
  • There is a V6 TDI that is going to be put into the Touareg. Maybe that will be brought here in 2006 or 2007.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Not sure, but i think that the TDI for the Touareg will be the 3.0TDI. I think that is the same one that is in the 05 A6.

225hp 330lb/ft
  • big_guybig_guy Posts: 372
    I read that VW will be offering a 3.0L V6 TDI in the Phaeton in Europe. I think the 3.0L would be a good engine for the Touareg.
  • ivan_99ivan_99 Posts: 1,653
    Yes, just about perfect...

If it was offered on a 7 passenger version, and the price was kept to the current 6 cylinder gas; I’d be there signing a check.

My pessimistic side tells me that this scenario wouldn't happened for many more years, and the price will be significantly higher.
  • ypshanypshan Posts: 103
    The Consumer Reports mentioned that there is no cup holders for the back passengers. Is it true? Is that a problem for family with kids?
  • Consumer Report is not very accurate in their assessments. My recent vehicle was listed for several years (during the entire time I owned it) not to have shoulder belts for the rear middle seat. Every time I looked into my vehicle, I found those shoulder belts to be there, and I don't believe that they were put in just for me! My Touareg has cupholders inside the rear seat arm rest, depending on the vehicle version, they either pop out, or the padding has to be lifted up.

I found that Consumer Report is not a real good authority on automobile testing, they look more for the emotional things, and praise them as long as they are in a Japanese brand vehicle. I found them to diss the identical feature in a US made car that they praised in a Japanese made one (and I subscribe to Consumer Reports since more than 20 years).
  • Their auto ratings are great and relevant ... if you're a century old, never drive over 30 MPH, don't care about handling or style, and still think we're at war with the Germans! ;)

I use their ratings when shopping for toasters (they won't let you try before you buy) but car reviews are (how to say politely) "not their forte"!
  • do any of you guys know when the touareg extended is going to come out? maybe while there at it they could add the 4.2 335 horse like the audi's, lol.
  • snooksnook Posts: 3
    I am considering the new 2005 V6 Touareg and will occasionally be towing my boat on a trailer with brakes. Total weight is about 4,000lbs.

I was wondering if anyone on the board is currently towing a similar situation and how the experience has been? Any problems?

All thoughts are welcome on this topic even if you do not tow your comments are appreciated.

-Matt-
  • snooksnook Posts: 3
    It would be great to see what people are actually getting for average gas milage in their Touaregs...

Post if you have a V8 or V6 and what kind of milage you average
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    I have 12k miles on a V6. I drive city and freeways around Denver, including the mountains. Over the first 10k my MFI indicated an average 18.3mpg. I've checked the accuracy of the MFI on a few tanks and it seems about right. Over the last 2k, I've averaged 17.9, which is probably because I have been doing a little less highway driving lately. I'm not disappointed with the mileage; this is a heavy unit. Using mid-grade or regular gas drops the mileage a little. It doesn't run quite as smoothly on regular, so I pony up for premium.

I'm interested in how the V8's are doing. I wanted one, but, at 20k miles a year, I wasn't sure I wanted to feed it.
  • I'm a newcomer to the board so I was looking for your expert advice. I was looking to purchase a new 2005 V8 Touareg. I really like the car, but there are always those comments about how VWs have a lot of problems. Anyone have thoughts? Are you happy with yours or would you have gone to a different car had you another chance? Thx.
  • panzerpanzer Posts: 125
    Love my Touareg. Be prepared to have a few problems. There are at least 6 "programs" to fix stuff on my V6 2004, two of which were mailed recalls. One major fix is a new transfer case, which is yet to be installed (my choice), while I wait for other parts, so that all can be fixed on one visit. I'm not thrilled that the driveline will be taken apart on my car, but we'll see how they do. At least I won't be the first one at the dealership to have this done.

I am waiting for parts to fix a broken center console. Sounds like terminal backorder. They replaced a cracked wood trim piece on the door and screwed up the aluminum surround doing it. I'm now waiting for that part. The CD player puked and that was replaced out of dealer stock, with no further problems. The front brake rotors sure look like they are wearing down after only 12k miles. The pads have lots of meat left. I'll have them look at that when I bring the car in for the transfer case.

The bright side is that the dealer has a much better, more helpful attitude lately. Although they do not do loaner cars, they always ask if they can rent me one when I leave the car. I think VW maybe got the message that people that can afford $40-70k cars and trucks don't like to be messed with. We also have family and friends with similar incomes that buy lots of cars.

There is nothing on the road like it, except for the Cayenne, and it is a joy to drive. Cayennes are starting to sprout in my neighborhood, and I see alot of Touaregs on the road. I figure I saved at least $10k over a similarly equipped Cayenne and about $3-4k over a 2005 Touareg. It looks like they loaded the 2005 price for incentives like they gave the last couple of months of 2004's.