Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

1999 Chevrolet Silverado

danz28danz28 Member Posts: 19
edited March 2014 in Chevrolet
What does anyone know about the new 1999 Chevy
Pickups?
I am interested in one and want to know such
things as if they are getting the LS1 V8 , etc.

Comments

• ESSENTIALESSENTIAL Member Posts: 2
    I have heard a few things about the 99's.. The 5 liter is no more. It will be replaced by a 4.9 liter v-8.. The 4.3 liter is said to be replaced by a 215 hp 3.8 liter Generation IIII both are based on the new LS1 engine. And the cast iron LS1 will make an appearance and a big one at that... you will have to wait and see..
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    I heard that Chevy might be getting a Catapiller diesel engin for 1999. That would make thing more interesting in the big 3 competition.
  • deiseldeisel Member Posts: 16
    There is nothing wrong with the detroit deisel
    that they have now its their fuel injector pumps
    that they have to fix they are now on the fourth
    re-design when my truck is not in the shop nothing
    touches it on the road. Loaded down hauling a trailer over the mountains in Kentucky never overheated cruised past the big guys and still got
    16-18 mpg. Its everything else except the engine
    that falls apart!!
  • cusackcusack Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know a location where I can view the 1999 Chevy truck? What does it look like? What features are different? When will it be offered?
  • ESSENTIALESSENTIAL Member Posts: 2
    MORE INFORMATION!!!!!!!!!!!!

New engines-
    4.8L v-8 255 hp
    5.3L V-8 265 hp
    6.0L V-8 300 hp!!! 350 ft/lb of TORQUE!! equal to Dodge V-10!!

Ive seen pictures and if you are thinking about a Ford or Dodge, WAIT!!!!! BELIEVE ME!! The GMC SIERRA is exceptionally great!
  • kevkylekevkyle Member Posts: 1
    When will the new chevy and GMC be offered. I am in need of new truck but would like to wait.
  • brianshubrianshu Member Posts: 1
    I've seen sketches in Wards Auto World. The only thing that seems bad about this truck is that there is going to be NO option for a 4th door on extended cabs, only 3. The truck will make it's official debut at the Detroit Auto Show in January , and it seems like it will be available for sale in early fall of 98.
  • maplemaple Member Posts: 16
    Get a copy of Motor Trends new magazine, Truck Trend. it has pictures and all kinds of data.
  • DESPOSIDESPOSI Member Posts: 4
    Food for thought:
    The C/K line will be all new, available this fall,
    however, dealers will NOT be dealing for at least
    6-9 months which brings you to about the 2000 model year.
    The advice of one:
    If your waiting, don't. Lease a RAM Quad Cab for
    two years and then investigate the '00 C/K series. It'll have a model year of refinement, which it will most definately need and offer four doors.
  • jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    Well, let's see now. Better brakes, more power with better fuel economy, more cab room, and at last a decent set of back-up lights. Now if GM can get the price back down out of the stratosphere, the C/K and GMC's might be a really great group of trucks!!!
  • houstonhouston Member Posts: 1
    I WENT TO THE CAR SHOW AND HEARD THAT THE BASE STICKER WILL BE AT 32,000. IS THIS RIGHT
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    If you want to see pictures of the 99 online,I have found them in a few places. The best ones are of course at the chevy spot, Which is chevrolets home page. There are a couple pics at microsofts carpoint site under the NAIAS feature. The only thing I really dislike about the new styling is that scalloped rocker panel. It would be nice to have the four doors, But not absolutely neccesary.
  • iamstudentiamstudent Member Posts: 2
    The pictures that I have seen of the new truck
    look like crap, what are they trying to do ?

They have the best truck out there and now they
    are going to ruin the looks of it trying to get
    into that dodge/ford/s10/toyota look .. ... ..

If they change it like that, I guarantee that myself and my family will never buy a chev or
    gmc again and we have been devoted followers all
    of our lives !
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    Iamstudent,

Actually, the knock from many people on the new Chevy is that they did not change the appearance enough. Chevy has countered this argument by saying that it was there intention to not make the drastic changes that Dodge and Ford made. It still intentionally maintains the boxiest look of the Big Three. I'm guessing you were being a little sarcastic that you would jump ship on Chevy and buy a Dodge, Ford, or foreign vehicle based on body style alone?

I know you dislike Fords, but I am curious if you've seen the new 1999 Superduties that are replacing the 3/4 heavy duty and 1 ton models? The body style is significantly different from the new F-150 models. I'd be interested to get some constructive feedback from someone who would be starting off with a predisposed negative opinion rather than the typical Ford lover who is likely to favor Ford over Dodge or Chevy regardless of what changes are made to the truck. There is a good article with photos at www.truckworld.com that highlights some of the changes. The heavy duty line appears to be totally rebuilt for the first time in about 15 years.

I noticed in your other posting in "Chevy/GMC owners" that Ford doesn't even make your list. I'm curious as to what particularly really turned you off and why? Towing? Gas engine? Diesel engine? Durability? Payload? Off road? I've been a satisfied Ford owner for years, but I've also got friends who are satisfied Chevy and Dodge owners. My dad pulls a 35 foot fifth wheeler with his Ford 1 ton diesel and has no complaints, although the consensus from a lot of people is that the Cummins is the best diesel for the long haul. I've heard that Chevy has had some problems with their diesel, but they may have worked them out in the 1999 model. As for durability, I've heard that a lot of fleet owners won't prefer not to use the Dodge trucks because of past problems with body sags when hauling heavy loads on a regular basis. I've also heard of some questions of durability on the Dodges in consistent "off road" use. As for the Chevy, the gas engines and the overall durability of the trucks have a strong reputation. Ford does seem to have quite a few of the "best or first in class" rankings when it comes to towing and payload. Let me know what you think about the Truckworld article on the new 1999 Ford Superduties.
  • dmjdmj Member Posts: 1
    I agree a lot with Iamstudent in regards to the new trucks in general; the new sloped look is coming out in every new truck it seems like. I will go for that sloped look for the medium style trucks, but for the big boys, I want the box-styled look. The sloped style seems to me that they look baby. They do not have that powerful look that I like in a big truck. I think that the new trucks are not as durable as the older style ones. They have 4X4 ability for driving in the snow, not through mud on the farm. I see the truck as becoming a show vehicle with all the comforts of a car for two people with a really big open trunk. I would like to hear some opinions on the durability of these new sloped looks with the older style boxy looks.
    Dont be fooled by what you think chevy is doing to their whole line of trucks this year.The F150 was a knod to the personal use market and the body lines and carlike ride and interior show that. The posts remind me of the the time on or about the F150's debut. People getting upset about having to face driving a truck they really didnt feel would suit their personal needs or taste. Chevy will be watching as they allways are and I cant help but wonder what is actually on the drawing board for the over 8600 GVW trucks. I dont think it will be the silverado though.
  • armadilloarmadillo Member Posts: 14
    HP -- 300
    Torque 450 ftlb
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    According to various reports, the Chevy Silverado will NOT have a 4-door extended cab - just the 3 door. On the othet hand, the GMC Sierra will have 4 doors to maintain its "upmarket" image. This will make Chevy seem like a low-grade truck compared to the 1999 Ford 4-door SuperCabs and the 98 Dodge Quad Cabs, which are available on every weight class (Ford will add the 150 and light-250 this fall to the 4-door ranks).

This, combined with the laclk of styling change, will cost Chevy some sales. And GMC used to sell twice as many pickups as Dodge, now they self half the humber of Rams. Add the fact there is no big block for at least a year (they discovered the 454 doesn't fit under the new shorter hood, so they have to make a new engine), and the 2500s and 3500s are delayed a year as well, and GM will have only the novelty sales of a new truck to sustain them this fall. Dodge and Ford will be limited only by their plant space in terms of full-speed production for people who need a full line of trucks and engines that are available "now".
  • cho143cho143 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for one and wish I could see what they look like?
    The Microsoft "Carpoint" sight has a few pictures of the 1999 Silverado from a January autoshow. I think there are only three pictures. Those are all that I could find.
  • tc14374tc14374 Member Posts: 22
    www.chevrolet.com has a couple of good photos of the new silverado and also some technical data.
    The Truckworld site at www.truckworld.com has opened up a new area on the 1999 trucks. The information is currently limited, but they promise to update regularly as more information is released. To access it, go into the Truck Test section and then click on the 1999 Chevy/GM trucks section. The only thing they said about the C/K is that they will be offering the crew cab with a short bed. There is more information on the Silverado, including a discussion of the new Vortec engine. They also talk about the new auto tranny. One interesting aspect of the new auto tranny is that they will have a button you can press for "tow/haul" mode, which will allow the driver to change to more aggressive shifting pattern. There are no new pictures beyond what you will see in the sites mentioned in previous posts.
  • RoclesRocles Member Posts: 982
    Chevy is finally going to come out with a new look,however are looks the only subject to judge on? The new engines sound interesting but at what cost? I have grown tired of people confusing wants versus needs. Do you need a 6.0 V-8? Probably not. Do you want one? Probably, but at what cost?
    I wish people would stop confusing power availability to sticker price.
    Ford still makes the most reliable truck for the price and it looks as though that FACT won't change for a LONG TIME. Chevy and Dodge will still be playing catch-up.
    Take this advice from a disenchanted Chevy owner.
    Rocles,

A truck is only as reliable as the owner is willing to make it. If there's a genuine defect in the truck, there's no reason to keep it. Otherwise, it's strictly maintenance and abuse issues that determine a truck's reliability.

As far as the truck itself, I go by the dashboard just as much as, if not more than, the exterior. I need to be able to see and operate all the gauges and controls comfortably and logically. Only Dodge has a simple pull-knob for the lights - one of the reasons I have a 96 Ram. Ford refuses to use numbers on the auxiliary gauges, just that stupid "NORMAL" range on the gauge face. And GM has not made a sensible radio face in 10 years.

The engine argument has merit, but at the same time, there are enough people out there now enticed to buy trucks who don't buy ENOUGH engine. No, a big-block or turbo-diesel isn't for everybody, but underpowering a truck is just as detrimental to performance as overpowering is to fuel economy.

I just think GM is really losing focus on the full-size pickup market. Ford and Dodge seemed to have done much better research, and are basically fighting each other for design, amenities, and features. GM is almost ignored by both of them as being uncompetitive in today's market. Their last splash was the third door, but everybody else now offers four. They were first with a diesel, but Ford and Dodge both offer medium-duty truck diesels that out-torque their V10s. Ford saw what a sales boost Dodge got from their 1994 design and responded with an equally radical truck in 97. On the other hand, you will easily mistake a 99 Silverado for a 98, especially from the front.

I seriously think the General just wanted to update the platform just so they can make more SUVs on them - the Cadillac Escapade was suspended until GM saw Lincoln Navigator sales; now they're scrambling to put chrome and leather on a Tahoe. It's no wonder GM continues to lose market share overall - they don't know what to offer the customer.
    I dont think the over 8600 GVW trucks will resemble the silverado at all. I think they will do excactly what ford has done. If you go to the truckworld site you will see that next years k2500 looks just like this years, although the crewcab short box is now an option. Dont get caught up in the thought that the silverado is the end of the redesign, Im almost sure it is not.They wont let FORD go around marketing 44 configurations for long and I think once the over 8600 GVW trucks are introduced people wont be dissapionted. Remember how Ford kept the superduty under wraps during the F150's debut?, its simple marketing strategy and it works. Personal use is not what commercial operators want a truck set up for and if you want to see more about the direction I think they will go, Check out the 99 superduty section at www.truckworld.com also. Its the wave of our truck loving future. At least I think so.
    KCRAM,
    Oh come on! You bought the Ram because of the switch for your lights? HUH?!Your assertion that a six cylinder is not enough engine is unfocused and naive.We are talking about half-tons here;not heavy-duty's. I actually use my truck for my work and routinely put it through hell. My small-block Chevy V-8 eats more gas and puts the same amount of torque of a good six from a new Ford.
    I am tired of macho guys who think they know engines for jobs and don't realize it is not the sixties anymore. Six cylinders are not necessarily the dogs that they used to be. I have heard too many tales of a Dodge giving out a flywheel or tranny when it shouldn't.
    Dodge doesn't sell too many sixes because it is poor. Ford makes a six that is comparable to most small eights. Let's face it: most people that are buying Dodge today (who didn't years ago),are buying for simply "pretty" looks.
    I'm not ashamed of my Chevy, I have learned from my mistake. Ford is on my mind.
    If you do any towing or hauling on a regular basis, a six cylinder will have mechanical problems sooner than an eight cylinder. A smaller engine will work harder than a bigger engine accomplishing the same task. The same thing goes for rear ends and suspensions. A half ton will work harder than a 3/4 ton which will work harder than a one ton, all accomplishing the same task. The type of truck you need depends on your use. A six cylinder will be more than adequate if you're not hauling or towing regularly. You'll save money when you buy the truck and you'll save on gas over the life of the truck. However, if you will be towing regularly and plan to own the truck for an extended period of time, a six cylinder is not the way to go. If you are hauling or towing fairly heavy loads on a regular basis, a 1/2 ton truck may not be sufficient. It's not a macho thing. The six cylinders simply were not made to do regular towing. It's why they make the different engine sizes and the different suspension sizes. Throw a camper on the top of your vehicle and boat behind it, and travel through the mountains on a regular basis. Better yet, tow a fifth wheel or a decent size camper. I guarantee a six will develop problems as will the suspension and the rear end if they are also not sufficient for the task.
    Rocles

Yes, I can admit that the headlight switch was a factor. Why should I have to waste time figuring out unnecessarily complicated controls? That's ergonomics the way it should be - have easy-to-use switches where you will logically expect them to be. And I drive a 3500 Cummins because I actually use that level of strength.

As far as sixes being dogs, the V6s today can't hold a candle to the old straight-6s. They were big, made plenty of LOW-END torque, and got decent mileage. The current crop of V6s are car engines that rev way too high to be useful in a truck. The Ford V6 that you seem to be so high on is a stroked version of the 3.8L V6 that's been in Thunderbirds since the early 80s. If it's so good, why does the Taurus/Windstar version make 200 hp out of 3.8 liters, while the F150 only gets 205 out of 4.2?

If you're only using a V6-worth of loading, you probably didn't need a full-size pickup anyway. If the 6 was that useful for commercial work, how come no one offers it in 3/4 ton trucks anymore? The standard engine for the 8600+ GVWR 3/4 ton trucks are:

Ford 5.4 V8
    Dodge 5.9 V8
    98 GM 5.7 V8
    99 GM 6.0 V8

All mid-sized V8s. Trucks that work hard need engines that work hard.

It's not macho to buy a particular size and strength of truck - it's common sense if you know what you're doing. The age old rule of thumb for spec'ing a truck still works - "Pick the truck that will carry and hold the highest load you could possibly think of carrying, then go one size up."
  • pistonpiston Member Posts: 1
    I have always liked the Chevrolet Pickup styling, however I must say the 99 Chevy's are very dull to me. It looks as though GM made only minor styling changes to me. I guess thats another reason why Ford is out selling Chevy like crazy! The best part of all is the fact that it will take GM another ten years to restyle their trucks and who knows, maybe they will end up looking like the current Ford F-150 series? (HAHAHA!!!!)
    Kcram,

You didn't really read what I wrote. I am discussing HALF-TONS! Where did I talk about heavys? Let me be more specific this time around to clarify our miscommunication.
    I bought three C-1500 ext.cab w/8ft. bed trucks in 1996 which were leftover 95's. Needless to say, I received a fantastic price break in which money was a huge issue to my roofing-firm. All three are identical when the subject is function. At the time, I was convinced that 8 cyl engines were the only way to go when lugging men and equipment.
    My point on 8's versus Ford's new six is easy to see when I show you the actual numbers:
    my 95 5.0 V-8 Chevy's:175 hp,265 lb/ft torque
    New Ford 4.2 V-6:205 hp, 255 lb/ft torque

Yes, my Chevy will work a little easier but she chokes on gas(going down hard). I lose a whopping 10 lb/ft of torque in the process. Now what is the difference? I guess you think I should get S-10's for roofing? Only 250's and up are for work? I have books to balance and money dictates Half-Tons and in reality, we are well-suited for them.
    Small trucks would save on gas and sticker but we would chew them up in one year. Our Chevy's get 12 mpg compared to 18-20 mpg for the six of Ford. Would I get a six? I really don't know-- but as I said before: I won't buy an V-8 simply because it's an 8.
    I really DO NEED a full-sized truck-huh?
    The reason I brought up the heavy trucks was in response to your comment about new sixes being better than old sixes. The Ford 300 straight six used to be standard in the F350 until just a few years ago. It had the low-end torque that was needed for heavy work - Ford would be nuts to put the 4.2 V6 in the F350 now - it revs much higher to get less torque, despite the hp increase. My Cummins only has 180 hp, but it's the 420 lb-ft of torque at 1500 rpm that gets all 7000 pounds of truck moving.

If I came across against half-tons not being work trucks, that was not my intent. I just feel the half tons today are not suited for work the way they used to be - The GM 1500s, and the F150s in particular, clearly are shooting for the consumer market with stepside beds and trim packages. You have to dig deep to get a "working" half-ton, and in the case of the Ford, since they are now using non-standard CA dimensions, it's tougher to put on aftermarket equipment. The Ford's wraparound bedsides are certainly used on the assumption that you wouldn't remove the bed for a utility body. I'm guessing with a roofing firm, you use roof racks and bed cages. You could move that stuff from truck to truck in the old days - not any more. Even the light duty F250 uses a 7 lug wheel that no one else uses, limiting parts availability.

Ford could have just as easily made the 4.0L OHC V6 off the 5.4L V8, but there must have been a reason why (Ford will always say money) - it probably couldn't keep the rpms down to where truckers need it.
  • alchavezalchavez Member Posts: 28
    Guys,

Interesting comments about engines, and Dodges, and Fords. But, what does this have to do with the 99 Silverado?
    alchavez,
    You are absolutely right. This subject is about the silverado and I apologize. Kcram and I should start our own subject! HA--what do you think Kcram?
    Actually the 99 Silverado looks enticing but it starts to look like an S-10 if one stares long enough. My only hope is that Chevy re-evaluates their pricing.
    Where is Chevy's V-10 and when do they plan to get a competitive diesel? I was, kind of, surprised that the new 99 models won't have a V-10. Granted, their V-8s are powerful, but the point in going with the extra cylinders is a more efficient engine with more power. The Ford V-10 is the equivalent about 410 cubic inches, I believe, which is less than the 460 it replaces. At the same time, it is suppose to crank out 10% more power and probably get a little better gas mileage. I think this is going to be the biggest stumbling block for the 99 Chevy's.
  • fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    Why do you need a V10. I think the whole V10 issue is like comparing the length of your ...well, you know. I know so many people out here in southern cal and arizona that bought crew cab chevys duelly big blocks, lowered them and put one of those flat lids on the box. To me they look great but are totally worthless. Sure these people towed a 3500 lb boat with them but the big block was way overkill. A 350 with 3.42s would have been just fine and would still be a practical daily driver.
    Ah, the "does size matter" argument. You're right about the V-10 being overkill in most situations unless you're pulling heavy trailers or you have a large camper in the bed on a fairly regular basis. Still, if people want the horses even if they don't really need them and are willing to pay the extra money for gas, that's their choice. Why do people buy cars that go over 100 mph or get from 0-60 in an outrageously quick time, when they only plan to use the car as a street car?

I was actually referring to Chevy replacing their big V-8 (the 454, I believe) with the V-10. The 350 isn't going anywhere. I think Chevy's move to this fairly recent Vortec engine is an attempt to improve the efficiency of their V-8 engines, much the way Ford has done with their Triton line. But you would figure that they would make the same efforts as Ford and Dodge to improve the efficiency of their biggest V-8.

The latest edition of either Truck Trend or Off Road magazine features a Ford SuperDuty and a Dodge on the front. The article inside does a brief comparison and discusses the differences in the V-10 and some of the reasons for them. One of the benefits had nothing to do with performance. Ford said they designed their Triton engine with the idea of eventually building a V-10. The V-10 shares a high percentage of the same parts as their V-8 engines now. The 460 shared very few and had to have an assembly line of its own. I'm guessing that Chevy has a similar situation and see a cost benefit of replacing their big V-8 with the V-10. If you get a chance, you might stop by a Barnes & Noble or similar bookstore and peruse the article. It's not that long. I found it, kind of, interesting.
  • fredwoodfredwood Member Posts: 79
    Yep, I just picked up a new Dodge V16 with 5000 hp and 10000 ft/lbs of torque. I could rip the foundation out from under your house...IF I wanted to.

Power, speed, acceleration is addicting, whether you use it or not. Just looking at big trucks, fast cars just gives me a stiffy. I guess I was just being practical. I'll shut up now.
    Heck, life wouldn't be any fun if we were practical all the time. We'd all be driving Honda Civics and staying the nights in a Motel 6 while on vacation. Instead we choose to spend a small fortune to buy a nice rig that can pull our house behind it. We have to have some vices. Oops! I'm veering off the Chevy topic. Better exit before we scolded again.
    Alchavez

Amazing how these tangents crop up... Soon as you talk about one full-size pickup, you end discussing all three.

As far as the 99 Silverado/Sierra is concerned, I don't think it will do well. Exterior has very little change, the heavy-duty trucks and SUVs are still on the old body (anyone remember this tactic before from the General? The R/V series against the newer C/K series from 87-91?), and there's still no competitive engine lineup. The 454 is only available in the old body because it doesn't fit in the new one - DUH!

Calendar year 1997 sales has Ford outselling Chevy and GMC combined in full-size pickups, and Dodge sneaking up there at half of Ford's sales (when just 5 years ago they sold less than 90,000). The Ford and Dodge redesigns for the 90s were radical with outstanding innovations. Chevy is not doing anything that one of the three other lines (Ram (94), light Ford (97), heavy Ford (99)) hasn't already introduced or surpassed. It's just a "me-too" truck.
    I've seen a couple of interviews where Chevy execs said that they went out of their way not to change the body style radically. They felt that the truck purist didn't like the radical changes of the Ford or even the Dodge. Ford took a dual approach and introduced two totally different looking trucks on two totally different chassis. I think Chevy might be in a defensive mode trying to retain their current users, but not making a strong bid to gain new consumers. Personally, I think the new Silverado looks pretty good. But if you're going for a heavier duty truck, you're still looking at an inferior diesel when compared to Dodge and Ford, or the 454 workhorse vs the V10s which should prove to be stronger and more efficient. On the plus side, Chevy is suppossedly improving all of their V8s, so they will be more powerful for 1999.
    Doesn't Chevy always pull this number on us? This year they finally roll out a new design,yet, it resembles the old one too much. What's the hoopla about? Who the hell wants the 454 in the older style? It would be like Kcram giving me that damn straight six.(just teasing)
    GM unloads nice engines but there is always a catch. The interior probably resembles my work trucks of 95 not discounting my personal S-10.
    Silverado of 99 is a dissapointment fellas. Ford gave us a wake-up look at new designs along with the Rams. I'm from a Dodge area where no one bought their own trucks, but now everyone is getting a Ford or Dodge.You can't tell me GM doesn't notice.
  • danz28danz28 Member Posts: 19
    I think the key selling point of the 99 Silverado P/U is its engines. If they are as good as they say they are, then Ford and Dodge better beware.

The Ford engines employ "modern" overhead cam technology but they lack the power and torque of the Chevy and Dodge (V10 not included).

The Dodge engines are old gas hogs based on engines from the 60s but do deliver decent performance.

However, Chevy is totally redesigning their small block V8s based on the highly successful LS1 that is currently in the Z28 and Corvette (347 cu. in. I believe). GM claims better fuel economy and better performance (255hp from the base 4.8L V8 vs. the current 230hp 5.0L V8).

As for the big block V8, thankfully they are putting that ol dog out of its misery. But I dont think they are building a suitable replacement. The new 6.0L V8 will have 10hp more than the current 7.4L V8 and better fuel economy but people buy the larger for its torque and unfortunately the new engines cant match the 454s. GM should develop a V10 based on the LS1 and I think they will be ok

Just my small portion of the American dollar, approximately two cent!
    Any idea when GM is planning to introduce the new V-10? I've always heard good things about Chevy's V-8 engines, which is why I am surprised they aren't keeping up with the pack on the V-10. The comment about the big V-8 not fitting in the new Silverado is comical, but I don't think it is that uncommon. It's my understanding that some of Ford's delay in getting their V-10 to market was expanding the V-10 to fit under the hood. They had the V-10 in the vans at least a year sooner. I could be wrong, but I don't think it will fit under the hood of the F-150....not that you need an engine that large in a half ton anyway.
    Supposedly, GM is working on a new big block V8, not a V10. They also are supposed to introduce an Isuzu medium-duty diesel at the same time. These will go in the HD 3/4 ton and 1 ton trucks which are not scheduled until 2000 at the earliest. The 6.0 will be the base engine for those rigs.

Again, this is where GM is losing focus. Their trucks are still geared towards people who are going to customize, whether functionally or visually. Dodge and Ford offer work-ready trucks that can earn a paycheck right from the dealer's lot. Almost immediately, a GM pickup has to head to a shop for an upgrade of some kind to match the others. On the newsgroups, one guy was bragging that his Chevy 6.5 turbodiesel was not a dog as the rest of us contended. Then he revealed he had a full Banks kit on it. Meanwhile, the Ram and F trucks are heading for an oil change before his even gets on the road.

I'm no5 saying Dodge and Ford don't have their shortcomings, but the powertrain isn't one of them. Only the "car people" who are buying trucks because it's the thing to do will be happy with GM trucks off the lot - "truck people" who still long for a truck with the tank-like qualities of a 1979 model will get a truck with solid axles, strong engines, and high payloads. And a truck that *looks* new doesn't hurt either, as Ford and Dodge sales since their respective redesigns have shown.
    Ford better beware? How can you seriously state that Ford lacks torque when Chevy is already thinking about a car engine in their trucks? It is the wave of the future for trucks to employ car engines but Ford has nothing to worry about.
    Chevy has always put great engines under the hood. The problem is the rest of the truck. The new changes will not sway non-GM disciples to their legion.The conservative changes will keep the die-hards but without gain.
    Guys that are after looks buy Dodge. Want a truck? Get a Ford.
    GM has better wake up.
    I'm a Ford fan, but I love the fact that Dodge decided to be a player several year ago. All I can say to Chevy/GM is, let's get going before Toyota catches up. I also think we're being a little presumptious about car engines in trucks. Isn't it an aluminum version of the Dodge V-10 that powers the Viper?
    Only the diesels and Dodge V10 can safely say they were truck engines *first* - the Ram engine was developed first, the Viper second, even though the Viper was introduced first. Dodge knew they had to make a lot more Rams than Vipers, so the production line had to be tested more. All the Ford and GM gas engines are based on some 80s or 90s car engine, and the Dodge V6 and V8s are all from the same small-block they've used from the 60s. Fastest car my dad ever had was a 1976 Mercury Grand Marquis with the 460 under the hood... couldn't even hear it until you broke 100.

It's not a matter of car engine vs truck engine; instead, it's low-end torque vs. high-rpm horsepower. Trucks have no business turning 5000 rpm, while a car doesn't need a low range gear in the t-case to make it even slower while getting maximum grunt. This is why these engines have migrated to trucks - cars don't need them any more (except for the muscle-car group).
    I just came across the stats on the new Chevy V-8 engines:

4.8L: 255hp@5,200rpm; 285lb-ft torque@4,000rpm
    5.3L: 265hp@5,000rpm; 320lb-ft torque@2,800rpm
    6.0L: 300hp@5,000rpm; 350lb-ft torque@3,600rpm

The 6.0L has 25 more horsepower than the Ford V-10 and equals the horsepower of the Dodge V-10, although it does it at higher rpms than Ford or Dodge. The bigger difference is noticed in the torque. The Ford has 410lb-ft and the Dodge has 440lb-ft, once again at lower rpms. The Chevy diesel is improved, but is still posting the lower numbers of the three with 215hp@3,400rpm and 440lb-ft@1,800rpm. Based on this info, the crowd that will be toughest for Chevy to win over will be the heavy tow crowd. Rumor has it that the big GM changes mentioned in previous posts for the heavy duty trucks may be coming out in the year 2000 model, which could mean late next year.
    Those rpms are ridiculously high for a truck that can easily hit 6000 pounds. They're now getting their horsepower peak higher than they used to redline?!?! And the diesel rating is way high as well; both Ford and Dodge have hp peaks at 2700, torque at 1600.

That 6.0L, according to GM, is not to compete with the V10s - it's a direct replacement for the HD 5.7-350 engine that is standard in current 2500HDs and 3500s. If you compare to the midrange V8 offerings, it's only 5 lb-ft more than Dodge's 5.9L V8, and the horsepower peak is some 1000 rpm higher. And I hope to hell that's a typo on the torque peak rpm on the 4.8. 4000 rpm to get max torque? That's ridiculous.

I see a lot of very disappointed GM fans when they see how bad their truck mpg is because of how far their right foot has to go to get power.
  • alchavezalchavez Member Posts: 28
    As a self professed Chevy fan, I have to say that all of you guys have valid points that Chevy is relying on its line of small block v-8's as a selling point for its 99 Silverado.

I grew up in, and inherited a 71 Chevy stepside from my dad that I blew away 'Stangs in high school with. So to me, I guess trucks were just a cheap way of having something fast without having to pay high pony car insurance rates.

Now that I have a family and home, I use my poor truck as a 235,000 mile work-horse. I'm starting to see the appeal of stump-pulling torque of the new Ford and Dodge V-10's.

Although General Motors is not known for building J.D Powers and Associates' quality leading vehicles,(leave that to Toyota and the upcoming T-150) I've known a 96 Ford crew cab deisel owner who had to replace his tranny 3 times within two years! And God knows that Dodge uses up all its funding to pay stylists large amounts to cover up the engineering flaws with pretty packaging.

But, I think Chevy may have something here, concentrate on features like: engines, new wiring systems, transmissions, and brakes while not packaging it in a "love it or hate it" wrapping.

KCRAM does have a point that maybe only "car people will buy it". After all, the Ford sales success is probably based 90% on F-150's with the smaller v-8's while the V-10 and deisel will only account for a small portion. Chevy may be counting on droves of these same "car buyers" to equalize the playing field.

Counterpoint:

At the risk of shooting myself in the foot here, I must acknowledge that small block Chevy V-8 power isn't everything. Case in point, just look at the Pony car wars. The V-8 Camaro and the Firebird absolutely kill the Mustang in any race, in any weather, and in any trim level, i.e. Cobra for less money. And yet, year after year, Mustang sells more cars. Now GM is thinking of discontinuing these cars in 2001 due to low sales. Bummer!

KCRAM, Yes it is, indeed, easy to get off on a tangent!

Alchavez
This discussion has been closed.