Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    cama1cama1 Member Posts: 12
    Hi....my lowest price via the internet thus far is 27,189 inc Dest fee only. This is a far cry from the 11-12% off MSRP that bigdadi118 suggested. Truecar.com gives a local great price target of 27, 463.

Feedback and suggested strategies would be appreciated. Thanks so much in advance.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    cama1 - click my name to email me and I forward you the site re CRV deals. When I post the link here they deleted it claimed it as competitor.

Below is copy & paste ...
    Oct 30, 2008 EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System Edison NJ $29,465 $27,680 6.06%
    Jan 21, 2009 EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System Lawrence MA $28,600 $26,000 9.09%
    Feb 11, 2009 EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System Norwood MA $29,615 $26,100 11.87%
    Mar 28, 2009 EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System Germantown MD $29,813 $26,165 12.24%
    Mar 29, 2009 EX-L 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System Norwood MA $29,415 $25,873 12.04%
  • Options
    arcadiaarcadia Member Posts: 2
    just bought CRV LX 2WD last night, paid OTD 17K after $4500 Cash for Clunkers. I am in Los Angeles.
  • Options
    bigdadi118bigdadi118 Member Posts: 1,207
    The clunkers program is so popular that 1 billion funds are expected to be exhausted in a week.
  • Options
    leto123leto123 Member Posts: 28
    How many dealerships have you contacted (via email or phone). Have you tried dealerships outside your immediate locale?
  • Options
    cama1cama1 Member Posts: 12
    leto123 ....I have contacted 6 dealers and all are within ~ 40 miles of my area.
  • Options
    kw_dakw_da Member Posts: 76
    Sounds like you got a great deal, but hard to tell unless you post the details. Was there a trade involved? Cash for clunkers? Also tax is different from place to place & fees & registration, etc.

David
  • Options
    Did they charge you sales tax on the $4500 "Cash for Clunkers"? I assume you paid 9.25% tax? (LA). They are not suppose to charge you tax on the cash for clunkers refund - I'm still waiting for the dealer to resolve this issue.

A complete breakdown would be useful for others.

David
  • Options
    tigerliztigerliz Member Posts: 1
    Picked up 2009 CRV LX AWD for $20,400 plus tax and fees (around $150). The dealership is in Bridgeport, WV.
  • Options
    mycrvmycrv Member Posts: 3
    Hi,
    I received the above quote from 2 dealers here in bay area. 21500 includes the destination & dealer fees. Is this a good deal or should i wait for some more time to get better deals because 2010 model will be out in a month . Kindly advice.

Thanks,
    Aaron
  • Options
    vgalmontevgalmonte Member Posts: 9
    It is deffinetly built to be a bait and switch. I ended up getting a 09 RAV4 base $1,500 out of pocket $1,100 in difference of my traded in lease so $2,600 total down. His first price was $360 a month then it was $275 then I wasnt tier one credit "WHich was BS" Then $250 he got it to $222 and the [non-permissible content removed] wouldnt budge walked back to manager 3 times. Finaly we agreed on $220 I could of prob done 10-15 bucks lower elsewhere but for a few hundred bucks I wouldnt go through the four hour ordeal again. So all in all I'm happy only $1,500 out of pocket and $220 a month isnt bad.
  • Options
    serving4kingserving4king Member Posts: 2
    We are looking to purchase a 2009 CR-V to import with us when we move to Macedonia later this year. I have a "Clunker" that would give me probably $3500 back if I act quickly. A few questions:

1) I've heard 4WD/AWD is an unproven safety feature that may or may not be that effective. Macedonia doesn't have a whole lot of snowfall. Should I save the $1200 or so?

2) Can I get the security system without upgrading from LX to EX? I actually don't want all the other EX features because the less flashy the car, the less tempting the theft of it will be overseas. But I do want the security system. I would like a LX with a security system. Do you think I can add that feature or I would have to go to an EX?

Tony
  • Options
    You can always add an aftermarket security alarm. Just make sure the installer does a good job & you can test it for a bit. I've had a friend whose security alarm locked up and they had to get it towed. Good luck.
  • Options
    bc_crvbc_crv Member Posts: 9
    Hello all,

I'm ready to buy a 09 CRV LX, EX, or EX-L. I plan on buying with cash. What prices would you suggest? Anyone recently buy in the state of Washington? I've been quoted the following:

Northwest Honda in Bellingham:
    LX- 20900 (including mudflaps, destination charge, wheel locks)
    EX-23500 (same as above)
    EX-L-25900 (same as above)

Tax is only 8.7% in Bellingham vs 9.8% in Seattle, so I'd like to buy outside of the Seattle area.

What are your thoughts? Are these good prices?

Thanks!
  • Options
    1stbmw1stbmw Member Posts: 8
    Are August pricing already out? One dealer in Atlanta told me that it will be sometime on 4th August but the other one told me that it's already out...CRV is $500 off until September 3rd.....
  • Options
    yk09yk09 Member Posts: 2
    The out of door price is $24k that includes car, freight, dealer fee, tax (6%), and tags/title. I am in DC area. Do people here think it is a good deal?
  • Options
    sr146260211sr146260211 Member Posts: 55
    Out the door price ?

Unknown if its a good deal. You did not list what you got with it, such as add on's ( Mud guards, tinting, carpets, fog lights, Nav, Leather, etc ) that will give someone on this forum a way to better answer your question for the Total Out The Door Price.

Sorry, but I see this far too many times, when someone asks this question without giving the full story as to what you actually got with the CR-V and then paid for.
  • Options
    ericonlineericonline Member Posts: 21
    Does anyone know if dealers typically charge for installation for the dealer installed accessories? I am planning to add a Roof Rack, Spoiler, Body Side Molding, and Fog Lights to a new EXL. I think the prices shown on the Honda web site are fair provided there is no additonal charge for installation. Can they typically get these on the same day as the purchase, or do they have to be ordered and installed later. Thanks!
  • Options
    vyomvyom Member Posts: 1
    We are planning to buy a new CR-V in the Pheonix area. Was interested in the OTD prices, if anyone bought it recently. What is the best dealer to buy it from? Also, whats the best way to negotiate for the lowest price?
    Last question: is a CR-V better or worse than Toyota RAV4?
    Thanks a ton for your suggestions in advance.
  • Options
    As a point of reference I just bought a 09 CRV EX-L 4WD with all-season floor mats for $24,500 (incl. destination charge) in Chicago last week. You should be able to get the EX-L for less than $25k. You can adjust that price down based on the respective invoice values of the other vehicle trims (found on edmunds.com). I recommend contacting dealerships through the internet or phone (ask to talk to a sales manager) - not by walking into the dealership. Also, always ask for a complete itemized OTD price whenever you request a bid.

You should be paying the sales tax of where you are registering the vehicle, not where you are buying it, so the dealership location shouldn't make much of a difference. The closer dealership may be more willing to deal since they know you will be more likely bring your car there for servicing.
  • Options
    yk09yk09 Member Posts: 2
    That's all right.
    The price $24k is the OTD charge. There is absolutely no accessories. The car and freight cost $22200. I agree a single add-on could drive the price up several hundreds.
  • Options
    patti11patti11 Member Posts: 11
    You will find your best price when you shop and compare. The other day, I bought a CRV EX AWD for $23,747.(NY) which included a roof rack w/installation and vehicle destination charges.I negotiated with many dealers and this was the best price in the area. Problem is...it was a C4C and I have no idea if this deal will go through. I went to the dealer day one of C4C and they would not take the order as they did not get their identification number. Two days later, everything was still up in the air and no one was taking orders. By Wed. I finally placed the order. When I called on Friday after hearing the program was out of money, they told me they didn't place the order and were waiting for more information. My take on this, I'll get a refund and hold off until the 10's come out and the buying frenzy is over and then buy a car. I considered the RAV-4, however, if rear ended, extensive damage to the back of the vehicle was a concern due to the placement of the tire. Best wishes with whatever car you decide to purchase!
  • Options
    vgalmontevgalmonte Member Posts: 9
    Rav-4 sport doesnt have a spare tire anymore instead it has run flats like the awd sienna that also doesnt have a spare tire. But i do like the CRV better. I got a rav-4 but only becauce i think its a lil more manly than a crv and its only 220 a month lease with 1500 down. the crv was a lil small for me the back seat needed to roll back a click or two more (I'm 6'1") and the fold down airlane style armrest on the seats that honda loves were about 6" to short for me but I would of still bought one and sucked it up.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info on the sport RAV-4. When I was in the Toyota dealership, I was annoyed with the salesman hawking me and distracting me while sitting in the car that I got out of there so fast my head was spinning. I then began looking at the CRV's and pricing them from dealership to dealership. The sales MO was much more pleasant at all the Honda's and they did leave me to my thoughts while sitting in the car. I wound up putting a deposit on the RAV-4 depending on the outcome of the C4C, but I really liked the RAV-4's appearance and comfort, however, the sales personnel kept me from buying one. Best of luck with your car!!
  • Options
    I apologize and need to make a correction: "I put a deposit on the CRV NOT the RAV-4." Hit "send" too soon.
  • Options
    goel_argoel_ar Member Posts: 12
    I checked Metro Honda in Jersey City, NJ
    got a quote of 25,700 for EX-L 4WD 5-Spd AT w/ Navigation System.
    What other costs I should add on top of it to get OTD price?
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you own a 2006 – 2010 Honda CR-V and live in the Los Angeles area, please contact ctalati@edmunds.com by August 12 if you’re interested in being contacted for more information on your vehicle ownership experience.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    bells1bells1 Member Posts: 7
    I'm not sure how far you're willing to travel, but I just bought a new CR-V EX including destination for $22,520, at Fox in Auburn. I went totally prepared with everything I've learned from this site, and they did "try" to sneak in extras....but had to do the paper over more than once! Good luck! :shades:
  • Options
    bells1bells1 Member Posts: 7
    For this area, I'd say not bad. I just paid $22,520, @ Fox in Auburn for mine, plus tax, title, etc., but destination was included. If you don't really care what color, or they may be getting more in, try Fox. The light blue was all they had, but I didn't care about the color. Good luck! I would also make sure they don't try to throw in maintenance packages; I caught them "accidentally" putting in a $700 package with mine. :)
  • Options
    eyipeyip Member Posts: 1
    Hi, I am looking for a CRV LX AWD in the Dc/MD/VA area. Right now I have a quote for $22,200 out the door. This is without any extra accessories. Anyone have an idea of what a decent price range is in this area?

Thanks!
  • Options
    lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    $22,200 doesn't sound like a bad price if it includes the freight/processing fee/local taxes... Dealers seem relunctant, too, to give the OTD price. They prefer to quote the vehicle price and let you do the math... I've been shopping via the 'net, and the OTD prices I've gotten on the CRV LX AWD have been approximately $22,000 (give-or-take $100). So, I think you came out ok in this DC/MD/VA area..... That freight add-on can be $$$. Enjoy your new purchase!
  • Options
    Out-the-Door Price:

Car Price
    Destination charge (if not included in car price)
    Taxes
    Title fees
    Licensing fees
    Documentation fee
  • Options
    nassakeagnassakeag Member Posts: 8
    It depends on what your state tax is for one thing. could be zero in NH or Oregon and up to 9% in Cali. I have been quoted 20900 incl dest before tax in NY area. Add tax @ 7.375 + transfer plates + doc fee + inspection (about 135) and my est total is 22664 OTD. So either you are getting a better deal or your tax could be lower.
  • Options
    Leto, you really got a fantastic deal on your EXL 4WD for 24,500 esp if mats are included. The best price I could find was 25,354 (Bronx Honda) in the NY area and I was quoted 25,710 (White Plains Honda and Tarrytown Honda) 26,052 (DCH Honda) and 25,495 from Yonkers Honda. However, I am doing a cash for clunkers deal and therefore was over a barrel and they knew it. I hope this deal will end up saving the consumers money because it's hard to get the best price when you must do the deal immediately.
  • Options
    Goel Ar,

I am assuming that your quote of 25,700 for the EXL 4WD with Navi at Metro Honda does not include destination. It sounds like a very low price because I'm getting quotes of 25,354-26,052 for the EXL 4WD without navi. I would get the quote in writing before going to the dealership.
  • Options
    djc314djc314 Member Posts: 18
    Are dealers not lowering price due to high demand from Cash for Clunkers?

Here is the price quote I got. Any reconmendations please?

August pricing and availability: Price listed below for in-stock purchases. Most of my in-stock units have the pin stripes, and splash guards already installed (a $358 retail value free). Ordered or incoming units would not have any dealer installed options. The destination charge of $670 is included in the price. A consumer services fee of $159 will be applied to the final selling price. No hidden fees.

2009 CRV EX-L 4WD Automatic (MSRP $27,915)

Internet price is $25,512*

*Price includes the pin stripes and splash guards installed ($358 retail value free).
  • Options
    Question - have you been telling dealerships that you are doing cash for clunkers upfront? If so, it might be worth contacting some dealerships without discussing that to see if the dealerships you originally contacted were inflating their prices because they know you'll already be getting some money from the govt and therefore may not be as worried about the price.
  • Options
    Make sure to contact several dealerships to compare prices. Also, since it appears you're in St. Louis I would recommend you give some Chicago area dealerships a call. I recommend getting an internet quote from Carr's Honda, where I bought my car last week and got a fantastic deal. I believe their monthly sales deadline is coming up so this week could be a very good time to deal.

As for the delaer add-ons, I would simply refuse to pay for them. If they give you a hard time you just go to another dealership. If they want your business you'll hear from them again. It's not worth giving your business to a place that is trying to scam you with frivolous add-ons. Who knows what else they will try to pull when you sit down to sign the final paperwork.
  • Options
    yuniceyunice Member Posts: 1
    Can you tell me which dealer you went to b/c it sounds like you got a good deal. What is your APR for this car you're about to purchase????? I am looking for a dealer in northern NJ. Thanks!
  • Options
    kusonkuson Member Posts: 8
    I am in Central Jersey, looking for CRV LX deal.. let me know if you come across anything good and we can bargain for two :)
  • Options
    Metro honda is very good with those emails they send out.. They always intentionally forget to include something. Be careful..I learned my lesson last weekend.
  • Options
    2WD or 4WD?
  • Options
    jnnt29jnnt29 Member Posts: 9
    I'm in North Jersey and got my EX 4WD for 21k at Madison Honda in NJ. I requested several internet quotes and they were very good. I originally was going to get the EX-L 4WD for 24500.
  • Options
    Anything specific? this is the price I got over the phone.
  • Options
    Nassakeag,

Yes. it doesn't include destination & taxes etc.

#1 - I have asked for written quote in an email - would that be good?
    #2 - What other charges shall I expect on top of this price?

Any idea how much more negotiation I could expect?
  • Options
    21,838 - is the quote got in NNJ
  • Options
    lori56lori56 Member Posts: 19
    Does anyone know if Honda is offering an incentive in August for purchasing a CRV? Anyone have any info that would be helpful in negotiating? Thanks!
  • Options
    Are below charges normal ? I have been given these in my written quote.

Destination $679
    Motor Vehicle $372.00
    Documentation $279.00
    Window Etching $198.00
    Credit Processing $19.00
    Online Registration $7.70
    Tire Tax $7.50
  • Options
    jc9jc9 Member Posts: 1
    I just lost a good deal for a CRV EX-L AWD, the dealer gave me $23,900 base price but someone bit $700 higher thant the price that i got, they have only one car on color urban titanium. Some one have any other idea where i can get a similar deal in DC area?

Thanks
  • Options
    I'm not in your geographic location, but these fees looks pretty inflated. What does the motor vehicle fee cover? Is that a local/county/state fee? The documentation fee is pretty high (mine was $150 in Chicago) and I think you should skip the window etching (I think you can buy a kit to do it yourself for $20-$30 if you really want it).