Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

BMW 3-Series 2006

Comments

• Options
    ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Someone tell me why people call them beemers (rhymes with steamers) while some journalits write "bimmer". Is that just the way it is spelled?

I seem to remember reading somewhere that a Beemer is a BMW motorcylce and a Bimmer is a BMW car. Or vice versa. Can someone please settle this once and for all?
  • Options
    bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    >"I use an oil extractor"

What model/brand do you use?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 238,401
    You've got it...

Beemer = motorcycle

Bimmer = automobile

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    ...It was hard not to laugh. I felt like saying, though I didn't, "You spent 50-55k on your car and you'll calling it by the wrong name."
  • Options
    I'd say 99% of the population doesn't know... or care... and that includes BMW owners...

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    Hey there bdkinnh, this is dhsinnh calling. ;-)

I use the "Pela 650", which can be seen at http://www.pelaproducts.com/

When used on a BMW it is just barely adequate (but adequate none-the-less) as the typical BMW oil sump hold a considerable amount of oil.

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    bdkinnhbdkinnh Member Posts: 292
    Cool - thanks for the link.

Lovely weather we're having today in sunny NH, eh? I think I'd prefer snow. ;)
  • Options
    shiposhipo Member Posts: 9,148
    No problem, glad to help.

I moved my family up here for that very reason. "Bring on da snow!" That's what the kids and I say, Mrs. Shipo isn't quite so keen on all of the white stuff (she is a California native afterall), but she really thinks it's "Pretty". ;-)

Best Regards,
    Shipo
  • Options
    dl7265dl7265 Member Posts: 1,381
    Don't shoot the messenger :P . I'll have to find what issue the artice was in for ya. I wouldn't mind using that extractor on the old Troy Built that refuses to die though ...

DL
  • Options
    Personally I am no fan of this 1980's silver plastic crap that BMW, Sony, lexus or whoever is using these days . Reminds me of the old Techniques stereo I used to own..YUK.

Anyways, I don't belive that even on a American ED purchase at this point you can Choose Individual programs. What you might could do is purchase the said trims on the trip and ship or bring them home with you. As for the head liner I noticed on my Black interior it is grey. Which is ok with me, making the interior a little lighter. Like you the Grey is actually my favorite interior sans the light grey carpets. I wish you could order a darker grey or black carpets, kind of like the current IS set up.

Good Luck,
    DL
  • Options
    Yeah I ended up just going gray leather and aluminum trim. If I hate the trim, I'll order new piano black trim and install it myself.

I'd really prefer the anthracite headliner too and I'm going to address this with my dealer tomorrow when I sign the papers. If it's under $500, it's a done deal, imho.

I still wish BMW would offer something other than wood and silvery titanium/aluminum stuff. Because of those poor choices and the headliner the terra is pretty much off my list. Too darn many colors. Terra and all black trim with a black headliner would look great. Terra with black trim, a wood/aluminum and the grey headliner is just scary ugly.

Why do I care so much? I spend my time in the car! The exterior is not relevant to how much fun the car is to drive. The interior is important.
  • Options
    I do like the black wood, if you are averse to more normal colors or the aluminum.. I think it would look good with the gray leather...

Why not order it to start with, then switch to aluminum if you have to? You know.. just because I like it..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    "I ended up just going gray leather and aluminum trim."

OK Blueguy, I'm tired of hearing about trim colors. When are you gonna tell us about the CAR?

And don't forget...

http://www.upsolute.ca/products/bmw_3.html
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462
    As far as my interior tastes go... the blacker the better! Anything else gets too dirty, too quickly. I agree with you being fussy about the interior though. The layout & materials used in a car's interior are extremely important to me.

Definitely let us know what you're ordering!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    Did you see that combo on the German site somewhere ?

DL
  • Options
    The BMW individual program website has some stunning stuff.

http://www.bmw.com/com/en/index_highend.html?prm_content=../../com/en/insights/c- orporation/mgmbh/_highend/xml/individual.xml

On there they have a Merrino leather car with black trim and an anthracite headliner. Stunning. Simply stunning.
  • Options
    I must finalize my purchase tomorrow. The dealer said they'll need my passport as I'm buying my car ED for early April delivery.

Alpine White 330i, 6 speed, sport package, comfort access, leather, PDC.

Before you mock PDC: my last girlfriend backed into a pole with my 330i. She's the same girl I will meet up with in Italy during my ED trip. That $300 option can save me a ton in repair bills should she end up driving my car.

After I sign on the dotted line I'll mention price but lets say my ED research was dead-on with prices. :D
  • Options
    I've had black, beige and gray. Black holds up well but it always looks dirty to me and it's quite hot and claustrophobic. Beige is a dirt magnet. Never again will I go near beige.

The gray leather in my 330i looks as clean as the day I bought it - black floormats are a must though for dirt and aesthetics. Plus the gray keeps the car looking bright and airy, while also modern and austere.

Unless my dealer reports back that he can get me piano black or CF black trim, I'll go with the aluminum/titanium stuff on my my order. I'm not thrilled but I don't think the burl or walnut trim looks good ever.
  • Options
    Congrads, Even though the E90 is not as "raw" as your ZHP I think your going to like it. After 8months/9K miles i can say my E90 is better in almost every way over my former E46.

As for the backing the fold down mirror does a good job for those that are backing impaired ;)

DL
  • Options
    nyccarguynyccarguy Member Posts: 16,462
    The Alpine White looks phenomenal on the e90. You'll be very happy with it!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2022 Highlander XLE AWD, 2022 Wrangler Sahara 4Xe, 2023 Toyota Tacoma SR 4WD

• Options
    I hope I like it too. If not, no big deal as I'm only doing a 2 year lease. If the rumored 335i comes out, I'm all set for it. :)

As for PDC, she managed to scrape the driver's side of the bumper last time. An ounce of prevention...
  • Options
    smwls8smwls8 Member Posts: 103
    My 06 325 non-sport(wife's car) has had progressively louder tire noise with the run flat Bridgestones. With 13k on them the tread seems to be holding up well, but the noise is noticable enough that co-worker passengers mention it. I rotated the tires at 10k which seemed to help quiet things down, but over the past 3k the noise seems to be returning. Is this common to the run flats? I am very tempted to replace these with regular Michelens and place a can of fix a flat and a small air compressor in the trunk. Yes, it is that bad.

Otherwise, love this car which replaced a ten year old Z3 that we loved, but without side air bags she had to go.
    Thanks,
    Sam
  • Options
    alibajalajaulaalibajalajaula Member Posts: 89
    Way to go, Blue. My 01'325 was Alpine White too, and I loved that black/white combo every single day I had it, and I agree with dl, the e90 really looks superb in white (plus the price bonus of non-metallic color). Early april in Bavaria? Looks like you'll miss World Cup by a hair (I wouldn't like to be there during it). Me, I'm dwelling on a M3 :P , kindv like very much the current style, but not sure if wait for the 07...we'll see..
  • Options
    hmahma Member Posts: 3
    My '06 330xi sport is 2 months old, and it rides great on smooth roads and mildly rough roads. When I hit a moderate pothole, there is a loud banging noise and a very sharp jolt which feels like the suspension being pushed to its limit. It lasts only a second, then everything is OK. None of my previous cars (non BMW) have had so violent a reaction to potholes. Is this normal? Is it harmful? There is no suspension noise or any other problems except when actually hitting the rough spots in the road. There is no loss of control.

I read on the forum that the suspension and tires in the xi sport was the same as in the non-sport (unlike the "i"). Am I having a problem or is this what the BMW suspension is supposed to do? It sounds like something bad is happening, but I haven't blown a tire or anything else yet. If it's a problem I'll bring it to the dealer.

thanks,
    HMA
  • Options
    rlui1rlui1 Member Posts: 93
    I've had my 2006 325i for a month and love the way this car drives. This is my first Bimmer but won't by my last. Now I know why it's called the Ultimate Driving Machine.

I agree with another posting that it would be good to actually have a dipstick and be able to see the oil. It would be nice to have a temperature gauge to know when the engine has warmed up (or have I just not found it?). Also, does the rear center headrest slide up and down? I know it rotates up but haven't been able to slide it up. I pressed the button that the other headrests have but this one doesn't seem to work.
  • Options
    toonstoons Member Posts: 13
    I feel rather disappointed after finding out about the incompatibility with ipod and the E90 models.

Can any one suggest alternatives or options if I'd like to control the track selection with ipod? Or if I have to buy a different mp3 player that works with E90?

Anybody who can share experience of using different kind of mp3 with E90 is welcomed as well.
  • Options
    Huh? The e90 has an aux input. Plug 1/8 inch stero cable into that and the other end into the iPod's headphone connector. Will you have track info on your stereo? no. will you have all of your songs available? Yes.

Eventually Dension will create an icelink like the one for the e46 - that's the definitive ipod connector - but for now just plug into the aux port, turn on a playlist on shuffle and you're good to go.

I installed an aux on my e46, plug my iPod in, attach my RF remote and I've got control over songs, my iPod's "safely" locked in my glove box and I literally haven't used my CD player or car radio in over a month.

When I go to pick up my e90, I'll be sure to bring along my iPod, rf remote and 1/8 stereo cable.
  • Options
    peter29peter29 Member Posts: 1
    I just bought an 06' 325 myself. Only 60 miles on it however. I did not like the no spare idea and almost bought a used 525 because of it. Whether or not I keep these tires on it I am looking for at least a donut for it. It will be interesting to see about the noise. Keep rotating often. Siping may help also. It made some Coopers on my Odyssey quiet down a bit and lots better wet traction.
  • Options
    dom1dom1 Member Posts: 22
    Hi HMA,
    I live in MA and we get a lot of potholes in our roads. I try to be very careful but I have taken a few. I have exactly the same setup that you have and I have never heard the noise you are describing. I would take it to the dealership immediately so that someone takes a good look at it.
    Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks dom.

Anyone else have my experience with potholes? I'll call the dealer!

-HMA
  • Options
    dfosherdfosher Member Posts: 26
    Hi HMA, I’m glad you posted this as I’m having the same concerns. I have a 06 325xi with the sport package, standard 17 inch wheels (159’s). I believe you have the 18 in wheels (162’s) which are lower profile and make it sound much worst. I just took a trip from VT to RI and hit several pot holes that didn’t look that bad but made a huge noise. I had a water bottle jump out of the cup holder on one. I was waiting for my run-flat indicator to come on but it never did. Everything looks ok and the car seemed fine. I’m running 30 psi in the front and 36 psi in the back. Maybe it’s the run-flat tires?
  • Options
    jb_shinjb_shin Member Posts: 357
    My memory is fuzzy, but I think the exterior color was ~$3,500 and the interior (leather option) was ~$6,000 for E39 when I was ordering my 02 530. The only reason I would have been able to order it was because I was in Germany at the time.

I did run into an 03 M5 recently with an individual exterior color, the owner said one just needs persistence and money.....
  • Options
    I gave up. Thanks for the info though. At this point, my order is in and if I really want to swap my headliner or trim, i'll do it aftermarket, yank it when i return the car and plop it in my next e90 in 08.
  • Options
    I also have the 17" wheels with the 225/45 tires. I thought the problem was overinflation of the tires, but I checked today, and the fronts are 34-36 psi and the rears are at 36-37 psi. Perhaps they should be a little lower, or maybe that's the "stiff ride" of the BMW. I may bring the car in to the dealer so they can check.
  • Options
    jhr3jhr3 Member Posts: 1
    What dealership did you take your car to in MN? I am having the same bluetooth problems with my e90. It would be nice to take it to someone who know the problem right away? Sears or Motorwerks? Have the tech's name? Thanks
  • Options
    dfosherdfosher Member Posts: 26
    I thought the 330xi came with 18's when you ordered the sport package? Did you buy another set? I run the 17's in the winter and I bought a set of 18's (162) for the summer. I have the same problem with both sets. The dealer inflated all four tires to 35 psi when I took delivery. I inflated them per the owners manual, 30 psi /36 psi. I also notice that the car pulls on the interstate with every little deviation in pavement. It’s really noticeable when I have the 18's on the car. Do you think that’s because of the sports suspension? I do like the steering wheel, sport seats and larger wheels, but it’s not worth the $1,200 for the stiff ride.
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    I thought the 330xi came with 18's when you ordered the sport package?

Nope, the 325 and 330 xi models both have 17" wheels with all-season tires, but they are different than the normal non-sport wheels and the non-xi sport wheels.

If you go to bmwusa.com and build the car, you'll be able to see the wheels that come with each model and package.
  • Options
    toonstoons Member Posts: 13
    Just to pass the words that I also got the updated software installed from taking my car in at the dealership.

I've had it for a couple days now, and it's been working everytime.

So, it is the CIP 20 upgrade for those who is still in troubles and be firm with the technician or service manager to get this upgrade, because when I brought my car in, they didn't seem to realize that some E90 models are having problem.

Pass the word! By the way, this dealership is in Southern CA - Horwthorn Blvd, TOrrance.
  • Options
    mdenero44mdenero44 Member Posts: 3
    What do BMW owners think of the leatherette? My wife and I are in the market for a 325xi or 330i. We would like a 330xi but can't afford it. I really like the look and feel of the leatherette on first impression, and the lower cost. Also, I live in Colorado where it is low humidity and leather that is only a few years old can look kind of dry and wrinkly. Is the leatherette any tougher? Any opinions are appreciated.

I am also torn between the 325xi and 330i. The 330i will be a bit more expensive, but I like the chrome trim and extra power. How do the RWD 3-series BMWs perform in the snow? Is the traction control effective? I am not into the winter rim and tire routine so the car will have the standard all-season tires 365 days per year. The car definitely won't be going into the mountains in the winter, just around town. Both of us can drive in the snow and despite preconceptions Denver streets are not snow covered from Dec to Apr. It snows a bit and usually melts quickly, with heavy snowfall petty rare these days. So it is actually a rarity that streets are snow covered in Denver, maybe 5% to 10% of the winter. Thanks for any advice.

MD
  • Options
    bdr127bdr127 Member Posts: 950
    What do BMW owners think of the leatherette? My wife and I are in the market for a 325xi or 330i. We would like a 330xi but can't afford it. I really like the look and feel of the leatherette on first impression, and the lower cost. Also, I live in Colorado where it is low humidity and leather that is only a few years old can look kind of dry and wrinkly. Is the leatherette any tougher? Any opinions are appreciated.

The leatherette is a great alternative. Some people actually like 'ette better than the real thing. I have personally had both, and I certainly wouldn't be against doing 'ette again....

PROS: Cheaper; doesn't require regular maintenance/conditioning like leather; holds up better over time; most people can't even tell that it isn't real leather

CONS: Not quite as soft as leather; doesn't have that sweet "leather smell"; resale (more people prefer real leather)

Check out both in person. That's the best way to make a decision.

My $0.02 :)
  • Options
    People who can't tell the difference between leather and 'ette also took the Jif Challenge and picked Pepsi.
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    I am interested in a 325i 6 speed manual. I'm coming out of a 2004 Acura TL 6 spd manual. I live in S.E. PA. I am trying to decide between one with and one without the sport package. I tested a 325i base with auto and a 330i manual with the sport package and active steering. On the test, despite having the auto, I actually preferred the feel of the base car -- a sweeter drive. The sport package I drove seemed disconnected and vague around center, never settled into the groove. I'm not sure whether it was the steering that put me off, or the performance package, or both.

Issues for me with the sports package are:

1) I think I could get by with the base EL42s in the winter but not the Potenzas on the package. I'm not seeing any decent runflat winter options right now. Why no all season high performance run flat tires for this package? P-Zero Neros perhaps for us poor Northeasteners. I'd happily accept the compromise. Non run-flats are not an option -- no donut and no space for a spare.

2) The seats that come with the package squeeze me at the waist (yes, I know, but I'm relatively trim). Is this something you get used to? I adjusted them as far out as they would go, but they still felt confining.

I'd appreciate any thoughts. I'm planning to order a 325i in Electric Red, Black leatherette and aluminum trim, with or without the sport package + Sirius for the BBC World Service. I feel the value is in (and can afford) a fairly basic car, and I've seen 50's BMWs in something like that color combination.

How much over invoice are people paying? Is Edmunds TMV about right?
  • Options
    Get the sport package without the premium package...this will keep the bolsters out as far as possible.

I'd avoid active steering like the plague. No need for it. None. Zip. It's one expensive toy that will inevitably break and it offers nothing but artificial responses to driving. BMWs are reknown for their driving feel, so why go with something so decidely un-BMW? There's a reason the M division doesn't want anything to do with active steer...it's bollocks.

Forget TMV. You want to get the deal everybody else is getting or do you want to pay a price you like? Honestly, figure out how comfortable you are paying X dollars over invoice and go for it.
  • Options
    corvettecorvette Member Posts: 10,283
    I have it. I can tell the difference, but I still like it. To me, leather is worth $1200 over cloth, but probably only $600 over leatherette. I do really like that black over brown two-tone interior, which is only available with leather.
  • Options
    nkeennkeen Member Posts: 313
    Thanks for the advice. What about winters? For practical purposes I think the sport package mandates a tire and wheel package from TireRack with winter runflats (none available until next winter). I'm loathe to take the plunge with that. I'd gladly take the slight handling hit of all season high performance tires versus the hassle of changing over every spring and autumn. Should be a no cost option on the sport. Yet something tells me that I'd be missing out if I didn't go for the sport.
  • Options
    like2drivelike2drive Member Posts: 6
    Hi.

Does anyone know if the E90 supports Speed Sensitive Auto-Locking of the Vehicle?

AKA, can the vehicle Auto-Lock at a given speed?

Please let me know.

Thanks!
  • Options
    calif65gmcalif65gm Member Posts: 75
    Yes you can program any post-Sept. 1 e90 with auto drive-off locking.
  • Options
    Your a perfect candidate in Co . I have Black 'ette in Dallas, TX and its held up great over 10 months with no care. Stays tight ect.. My friend has a 1995 318CI with Black 'ette and it looks brand new. It's not for every one but I say pocket the $1450.00

DL
  • Options
    Thanks!

We'll get this taken care of!

:)
  • Options
    Hi.

Does anyone know if the Clown Nose Light / LED under the rear view mirror can flash when the vehicle is locked?

I'd like the vehicle to give the appearance of an alarm being armed.

Please let me know ... my dealer said this was not possible.

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.