Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Acura MDX 2007

Comments

• Options
    varmintvarmint Member Posts: 6,326
    Yes, there will always be adjustments made to packaging. You may not know this, but Acura sold the TSX with a manaul passenger seat for several years before it got its mid model change (MMC). The same may happen with the RDX.

Many suspect that Acura intentionally leaves some content out in the first years. It helps them keep costs in line. While the vehicle is hot off the presses, most buyers don't notice these omissions. Then they can add these features later in the model cycle when sales begin to drop as the vehicle gets long in the tooth.

(Interestingly, some companies begin remove such niceties over the years and instead increase incentives.)

But Acura seldom makes big changes to their packaging. Even the RL, which is the slowest seller on the lot, has not been changed much. It has been critized for having too many items at too high a price. You would think that Acura would break up the packaging, but what did they do? They added a second package which bolsters the content even higher and to a higher price point. :confuse:

Based on these reviews, I doubt Acura will have any trouble selling the new MDX. If this thing is as good as I'm hearing, you can expect wait lists for the next 12-18 months. Until sales slow down, nothing will change.
  • Options
    bmwconvertbmwconvert Member Posts: 75
    Just looked at the profile photo from the autoweek article. The rear most windows appear to have been cut back to triangles. Going to get pretty claustrophobic for the kids back there. They won't be able to look out the window without moving there head forward.
    Look at competing vehicles like Q7, GL or current model MDX, which all have larger windows back there. I'll have to see in person to determine how bad this is.
  • Options
    The Sport and Comfort settings for the MR suspension are the defaults.

In comfort mode, the average current passed through the coil is relatively weak. Thus the suspension is soft. For the sake of discussion, let's call it level 3 tautness.

In sport mode, the average current is increased and the suspension tightens up. Call it level 7.

While in either mode, sensors are used to determine load on the suspension and they can adjust accordingly. So, if you're driving in Comfort mode and you make an emergency swerve to avoid.. I dunno... a moose... the suspension will still tighten up to level 10.

When the event has passed, the suspension will default back to an average of 3 (Comfort), but will continue to modulate higher or lower based on conditions. Had you set the switch to Sport prior to the moose event, it would have defaulted back to an average of 7.

As for maintenance, we'll have to wait and see. But I see no reason why the fluid would need to be replaced any more often than the shocks on a regular vehicle. The fluid is housed in a closed system and does not perform any lubrication function. Nor is it exposed to mechanical actions like the clutch plates in a transmission or the action of an engine piston.
  • Options
    robinsradarrobinsradar Member Posts: 55
    So, I'm driving down the road in Comfort setting and a good looking blond passes me in a sports car as we're about to hit a curvey mountain road. You're saying that the MDX will automatically switch to sport setting (as I'm now doing 60 around the curves)? If this is the case, why have the buttom to push, if the SUV modulates during certain driving conditions?
  • Options
    nxs138nxs138 Member Posts: 481
    Ah yes, the RL: I wonder why they still sell that puppy. Seems to me the MDX might even compete with it (i.e. isn't Acura trying to aim the MDX at affluent men who want something a little sporty?)

I also think the MDX will sell well, but I do wonder if the pricing structure might not alienate people that were just on the border of affording the previous model. They might have to step into a Pilot (I wonder what the new redesign will look for that one), since pricing in the mid $50s is a step up from what you pay for a MDX today, or if not a Pilot then something from a competitor (the Pilot does look a little dated, imo). If Acura loses these buyers, then it might be wise to separate out some packages to make it more attractive to the base buyers. Does that make sense?

But in any case, it's all subjective right now: I don't know what the pricing will be, and although the MDX is still on my top 3 list, I might get sticker shock once I see what it costs with NAV + entertainment package. Maybe I'll be one of the guys stepping into a loaded Pilot!
  • Options
    cmk248cmk248 Member Posts: 5
    The MDX is not meant to compete with the Pilot or be in the same range. The MDX is meant to compete with other luxury SUV's but that is why they are making 5 different models available. The basic package should be at $41k and the fully loaded model will be at $48k, but compare that to the others and its a bargain.
  • Options
    simagicsimagic Member Posts: 84
    If, indeed the company making the MR dampers is in bankruptcy, then certainly, I, as well as any level thinking person, might agree that there may be some future issue there. Far from ridiculous and actually logical..I live in the real world..Thanx
  • Options
    dhamiltondhamilton Member Posts: 878
    that Delphi signed a huge contract to do the suspension work for Ferrari. [albeit Ferrari redesigned the software I think] they are more in a protective state of bankruptcy from what I remember.
  • Options
    I'm not so sure the Pilot and MDX are that far apart: sure, the MDX aims for luxury, but the Pilot has had very good reviews for its ride, comfort, fit and finish, etc. Heck, Consumer Reports rates the Pilot over the MDX. So if the MDX charges such a higher premium for luxury, that luxury better be apparent, imo (and I wasn't all that blown away by the 2006 MDX, compared to the cheaper Pilot or Highlander).

At $41k, the MDX would be $4k more expensive than the outgoing 2006 model. I hope the increase is reflected improved sportiness (i.e. handling, etc).
  • Options
    deweydewey Member Posts: 5,251
    You are correct the differences between the two is more apparent than real. Not only will the new MDX and upcoming Pilot share the same platform but they most likely will share the same drivetrain too. It definitely does make a lot of sense to buy a Pilot instead.
  • Options
    tncarbufftncarbuff Member Posts: 10
    you won't get the SH-AWD, will you? Being the gizmo guy that I am, that's one of the more attractive parts of the whole Acura line.

Also, the engine will likely have a smaller displacement, don't you think?
  • Options
    "So, I'm driving down the road in Comfort setting and a good looking blond passes me in a sports car as we're about to hit a curvey mountain road. You're saying that the MDX will automatically switch to sport setting (as I'm now doing 60 around the curves)? If this is the case, why have the buttom to push, if the SUV modulates during certain driving conditions?"

What's with the blonde? You got a problem with my moose? :shades:

The active dampers are not limited to 2 settings. They are infinitely variable and can "adjust from minimum to maximum damping force in as little as five milliseconds (0.005 sec.)." You do not need to throw the switch to get these dampers to go from soft to rigid. They will react automatically to sensor inputs through a dedicated ECU.

So, you're driving down the road before the hottie in the sports car passes you. At that point in time, the dampers are running at a "neutral" setting. This neutral setting can be biased toward comfort or sport. Consider those two options the settings for when the vehicle is simply cruising.

Once you decide to chase the hottie through the mountains, the system will react to driving input and road conditions. It will automatically tighten up the suspension, effectively ignoring whatever neutral setting you had selected prior to the start of the chase.

When the chase is over, it returns to the neutral state.

Here's a link that might help you understand.

Active Suspension

Scroll down to the sections labeled "Real-Time Damper Control" and "Sport or Comfort Mode." You can ignore the first section, "Active Damper System," as that's just PR fluff.
  • Options
    "If Acura loses these [Pilot] buyers, then it might be wise to separate out some packages to make it more attractive to the base buyers. Does that make sense?"

No, I don't think it makes sense for Acura dealers to be competing with Honda dealers.

Acura has been trying to boost their image into the realm of the stuffy, triple mocha latte-buying, CEO named Biff crowd. They do not want to be compared with Honda, Toyota, and Ford. They want to be seen as legitimate contenders with Mercedes, Lexus, and BMW.

While targeting the affluent means a lower volume in sales, it means higher profits per vehicle.

So, yes, they do want to dump the Pilot buyers and instead pick up a few of the more wealthy customers.

On the subject of the RL, yeah, it looks like the MDX is back to being the flagship vehicle for the brand. That slot should belong to the RL, but the MDX has stolen it for the second time.
  • Options
    Thanks for the information and link. Seems like a nice option to add to the MDX.

What's with the blonde? You got a problem with my moose?

Yea, their usually big and have a bad attitude; now as for the moose..... :shades:
  • Options
    Also, the engine will likely have a smaller displacement, don't you think?

Not for the upcoming generation of Pilots

you won't get the SH-AWD, will you?

Good question? I dont know if Honda will put SH-AWD in the upcoming Piot. I guess only time will tell.
  • Options
    Just saw some data on interior cabin noise level on MDX which was listed as 64 dBA@ 60 mph. Does anyone know how this compares to any of the MDX competitors (Lexus, Audi..)?
  • Options
    toasttoast Member Posts: 50
    The MDX will be quiet. Car & Driver recently reviewed at 70-mph cruise:
    AudiQ7 - 70dBA, Escalade - 68dBA, QX56 - 67, Navagator -67dBA and Mercedes GL 450 - 66dBA. The average for the group was 68.
    Granted this is going 70MPH vs the 60MPH in the MDX. Should be very quite and much improved.
  • Options
    somnosomno Member Posts: 43
    Do you think that the damper control system will smooth out bumpy roads better than the regular system (without the sport package)? In other words, does the system just help for handling situations but otherwise make the bumpy roads rougher (as do most all sport car stiffer suspensions) or does the system additionally help these bumpy roads?

My wife cares little about the handling around winding turns but would be interested in a smoother ride on the straight roads. If the comfort setting still resulted in a rougher ride, that would be the death knell of the damper/sport package.
  • Options
    scottm123scottm123 Member Posts: 1,501
    "I dont know if Honda will put SH-AWD in the upcoming Piot. I guess only time will tell."

The 2007 Honda Pilot is on Honda's website.
    SH-AWD is not available.

It offers the Variable Torque Management® 4-wheel drive system (VTM-4®)
  • Options
    I think he might be refering to the 2008 model, which is supposed to be redesigned.

I doubt the Pilot will have the SH-AWD, since this might be a premium option for Acura only, to keep the models differentiated. In any case, the difference in traction will only be felt when you're at the track, and I somehow doubt people will be taking these SUVs to the track.
  • Options
    think he might be refering to the 2008 model, which is supposed to be redesigned.

Thanks! Yes I meant the 08 new generation re-skinned and re-engineered 08 Pilot.
  • Options
    If your wife is sensitive about such things, let her drive one. I can only answer that in a hypothetical sense. Ride comfort is the sort of thing people where people need to find their own "bottom" line.
  • Options
    I doubt very, very much we'll see Acura's SH-AWD in the Pilot. There are some things best left to the luxury division. Otherwise, the luxury division isn't so special. VTM-4 provides all the capability needed for a vehicle like the Pilot.

For my part, I kinda doubt the Pilot will get the 3.7L engine. It doesn't really need it. I see the Ridgeline getting a detuned version of it before the Pilot. And I see the RL getting it before the Ridgeline.

Honda has announced plans to build a V10 engine along with a V8 variant if they determine it is cost effective. I'm thinking the Hondas may not see the J37 until the V8 is ready for the MDX/RL.
  • Options
    robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    Actually, I wouldn't be surprised to see J37 in Pilot, but in a detuned form (like it is today). Perhaps 260-275 HP, and 265-270 lb-ft.
  • Options
    Excuse me but were you talking to me?? If you were then I'd like to inform you about the reply button just below the message box. ;)

Your view on the upcoming Pilot is a bit too staid. The Pilot wont survive future competition if it does not improve substantially with a new 3.7 engine. SH-AWD in the Pilot at this point cannot be ruled out. Honda will give the Pilot the best technology in order to compete with new generation Highlanders.
  • Options
    Well if that's the case then that brings us back to the question: will there be enough differentiation between the Pilot and MDX to justify the substantial price difference? i.e., will people pay more just because it has Acura stamped on it?

This is what I've been wondering for the past few weeks now, which is why I may hold out on my purchase until I see the Pilot and its specs. No need to pay more for the MDX if the Pilot will essentially be the same vehicle, but cheaper.
  • Options
    In an Acura, you pay extra for more features, better quality interiors and for better performance. While MDX will be oriented more towards sportiness, Pilot will be slightly more utilitarian (larger) and cushier for the "value" minded. This would be no different from the differentiation that exists today.

You can apply the same logic to RDX and CR-V, as well as Accord to TSX/TL.
  • Options
    I'm just not so sure that Acura has enough perceived luxury to differentiate itself from its Honda counterparts. I just couldn't see a lot of interior quality differences in the 2006 MDX as compared to the 2006 Pilot, in terms of soft materials and well fitting interior components. The engine power and sportiness are very close for both, as are the options offered. The MDX does look better than the Pilot, though.

The bottom line is that Acura has never truly outshone Honda in terms of luxury. Lexus, on the other hand, truly has vehicles that are steps above their Toyota counterparts in terms of quality and options.

So my point: the 2007 MDX better be steps above the redesigned Pilot before I plunk nearly $50k.
  • Options
    All of us are entitled to opinion, it just happens that mine differs from yours. I do see and feel the difference between an Acura and a Honda. Too bad, that difference hasn't translated to experience at dealerships but that is another story (something Acura needs to work on).

Between current MDX and current Pilot, the quality difference still exists. The Acura, however, has to deal with the fact that it has been on sale for over six years now, while Pilot is relatively new.

The new MDX will change that. And next Pilot should indeed be better than the current version, but I just don't see it being comparable in feel and touch to the Acura. These duo will be not unlike the RDX-CRV duo.
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    Two different dealers called me today to say they have the new brochures. Does anyone here have one? I'm interested to know what the color combos will be. Can you get saddle leather w/ silver exterior etc. Thanks
  • Options
    Why even look at the MDX if you feel the statements in your first paragraph are true? Then the only difference will be in the way the MDX handles. Is this worth 10K-12K? I doubt it ever will be.

Whether we like it or not the MDX has become (big if) a sport/performance SUV. My question is if someone is in the market for this type of SUV, should you take the plunge and buy the MDX or wait until the Audi Q5 is released in the Spring of 2008?
  • Options
    Did they mention when the MDX will be available for a test drive? The Vtec article has a listing of exterior and interior color combinations. However, I don't think this is the final release data.
  • Options
    The difference between Toytoa/Lexus and Honda/Acura is that some Lexuses(GS, IS and LS) have platforms that are not shared with any Toyota while every single Acura (except upcoming V10 supercar) shares a platform with a humbler Honda.

If you value image, more luxury and better "fit and finish" then the Acura would be your choice. But basically an MDX is a Pilot in a tuxedo.

Personally I dont like tuxedos.
  • Options
    The reason to look at the new MDX, first and foremost,is that I like the way it looks, and so does my wife, which is a bonus ;-) The fact that it is an Acura is also a bonus, but not the main selling point.

The MDX will be at the very top end of what I'm willing to spend (based on prices people have suggested here). So I guess the questions I've been asking are based on value at that particular price point: as you've mentioned, would it be a better value to buy the Audi Q5 if the MDX is just a Pilot in disguise? i.e. would I get more for my money in the Q5 than in the MDX?

Probably a little early to ask these questions, but we are looking to buy early next year. Unfortunately the Pilot won't be released by then, so I won't be able to compare it with the MDX. Hence all my whinin' ;-)
  • Options
    "Excuse me but were you talking to me??"

Nope.

"Your view on the upcoming Pilot is a bit too staid."

Isn't "staid" what Honda is known for? My view stems from this... Back in 2002, many were predicting that the Accord would get the 3.2L engine from the TL. Then the TL would get the 3.5L engine from the MDX. Then Honda would build a larger 3.8L for the new Ody. Then it was the Ridgeline that was supposed to get a larger V6. Back in 2001, posters here and elsewhere were hyped about the CR-V getting a V6 "in order to compete with new" (or new at the time) Escape. Up until two weeks ago, many folks were holding out for a V6 in the CR-V. Or, at the least, a 200hp I4 like the one in the TSX.

Were I a gambling man, I could make a good living betting against larger engines for every new Honda or Acura.

Take a look at the mission of the Pilot versus that of the MDX. The MDX is meant to be sport-oriented. At least, as much as a mid-size CUV can get. The Pilot is meant to be a family hauler. Both the 3.7L engine and the SH-AWD system are performance upgrades. They are not family-oriented tools. Honda would be better off spending their dollars on things like cupholders, an over-sized moonroof, a 3rd row of seats that converts into a play pen, increased fuel economy, and a new stain-proof ceiling fabric.
  • Options
    "If you value image, more luxury and better "fit and finish" then the Acura would be your choice. But basically an MDX is a Pilot in a tuxedo.

Personally I dont like tuxedos."

I can see your point, but from the perspective of a car manufacturer it's not a big deal. Some of the best selling vehicles on the market are tux-jobs. The (Accord-based) Acura TL sells as many copies as any other vehicle in the segment. The (Camry-based) ES is also at the top of the sales chart. The best selling luxury CUV is the (Highlander-clone) Lexus RX. Even though it's 6 years old, the (Pilot-clone) Acura MDX is the second best seller after the Lexus.

For a unique-chassis vehicle to come close to the sales of the aging MDX, you have to add the sales of the X5 and FX together. This despite both vehicles being newer.

So, while I can certainly understand your preference for a dedicated platform under your tush, it would appear the mass market doesn't share your view. So, as a business case, platform-sharing isn't a problem.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    Why buy a Lexus LS when one can get a Camry XLE?

Somebody's buying the LS! :)
  • Options
    upstatedocupstatedoc Member Posts: 710
    No mention of when they will receive one. I can't find that vtec article concerning the color combos :confuse:
  • Options
    Sorry about that. Go to post number 375 and click on "active suspension". The color combinations are toward the bottom of article.
  • Options
    john_ajohn_a Member Posts: 2
    I have the brochure. The '07 MDX is offered with four interior colors. Ebony, Taupe, Parchment and Bordeaux. Billet Silver Metallic is only offered with Ebony or Taupe. Parchment is only offered with Aspen White Pearl, Taffeta White, Formal Black, Desert Rock Metallic, Dark Cherry Pearl, or Aberdeen Green Metallic.

For those who are interested, the remaining colors are Nimbus Gray Metallic and Steel Blue Metallic.

I placed a deposit on one today, but I don't know when it will arrive....
  • Options
    cericceric Member Posts: 1,092
    Anything you could possibly want to know about the new MDX. Colors included.
  • Options
    x5killerx5killer Member Posts: 368
    I am interested in the 07 MDX possibly even though I have an 06 Subaru B9 Tribeca. MPG is an important issue. I will only want to switch to the MDX if it is equal or better then the Tribeca.

I would prefer a hybrid but the only 2 hybrid mid size suv are the highlander and lexus rx400h which my parents already have adn dont want the same as them.

so the best non hybrid mid size suv mpg would be good.

already i'm not crazy about the styling of the mdx if it looks like rdx though pics look a little better and will have to see in person. Mostly interested for the superior tech and the increased horsepower etc (250 for the Tribeca, 300 for the MDX?) but now i hear the nav is not touch screen but rather joystick so that is a concern, though it is voice activated so might make up for not being touchscreen now.

but if the mpg is worse then teh tribeca then its not worth the hp it has over the tribeca. the other benefit was the price i might get when my wife gets a TL if we get at same time from same dealer. but her lease up in jan and 07 mdx will prob still be too new and no good deals quite yet.

I was thinking about the Audi Q7 but it might be actually too big and i saw someone here say Q5, was that juat a typo or are they calling the v6 version Q5? i'm afraid it will be the same case as the VW Touareg where the V8 was too expensive and too much of a gas guzzler while the v6 wasn't enough for the heavy vehicle, which with the Q7 being larger i would think is the same problem though i think its a stronger v6. I'm just worried that coming from a Subaru with the industries best AWD, that the only thing that will be equal is Audis AWD.

Also someoen said why get a Lexus LS when you can get a camry xle. LS is much bigger you might have been thinking Lexus ES based on teh camry. I see the arguement in that a lot of these models are rebadged luxury version of their non luxury make vehicle.

That is one thing i always didn't like about the MDX that it was just slight luxury version of the Honda Pilot. But, you get Acura for the technology that they seem to be best at. The Acura TL while being basedon the accord platform was consumer reports #1 car in its segment and you may think you are just paying for luxury options on an accord but the whole thing that seemed great with the TL was how much was standard.

I just dont understand why Acura hasn't made any hybrid versions considering honda has hybrids and even honda hasn't made a hybrid suv yet. Hybrid MDX would be great and finally compete with the Highlander nad Lexus RX400h.
  • Options
    The Audi Q5 is a midsize SUV do out in the Spring of 2008. Suppose to have either a 4 or 6 cylinder engine. Additional details on Edmonds Inside Line...Future Vech...SUV
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    will people pay more just because it has Acura stamped on it? of course. will people pay more more for a toyota with lexus stamped on it? yes. It's all about image!
  • Options
    albookalbook Member Posts: 1,282
    Q7 may be big, but mdx will be marketed as more of a Q7/Gl fighter because of third row. and if you look at interior space, leg room, cargo room, MDX beats Q in any direction. and almost as much power.
  • Options
    hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    And most importantly, the MDX will beat the Q7 in reliability.
  • Options
    justaskmejustaskme Member Posts: 12
    I also have the new brochure as well. Don't forget the ride and drive for CA dealers is today and tomorrow for the dealers sales people. They mostly recieved Silver color MDX's. I did see the Nimbus Grey as well. The car is very nice on the interior. Plenty of leg and head room. The dash looks terrific and the faux wood looks pretty convincing. The car looks much better in person then in photographs. From what I was told, the car should be arriving at dealer showrooms by October 15-17th. All dealers know what they have coming in initially. Don't believe them when they say they don't know what MDX's are coming in on their first allocation. The dealers now are ordering cars for Novembers allocation. I've had several high end SUV's these past few years and I predict the MDX will do extremely well. I've had an Rx330, Fx35, Murano and 2006 ML350. I also had purchased a new Q7 this past June which turned out to be a nightmare of a vehicle. Audi bought my car back after just having it less then 3 weeks. It went into the shop after 2 days. The vehicle doesn't even drive that well. To much vibration noise that eminates from the steering wheel. The A/C doesn't get cold enough and too many electrical issues. I'm looking forward to getting my MDX next month. I've already ordered mine, fully loaded.
  • Options
    justaskmejustaskme Member Posts: 12
    I have some information for you. The Q7 is a beautiful looking vehicle. The interior is probably superior in fit and finish over anything that's out there. The big problem is this vehicle is not a reliable SUV. I bought a new one when they first came out back in June. I had electrical problems with the car the day I left the dealership. It went back into Audi two days after I purchased the vehicle. The car sat there for over 2 1/2 weeks. They still couldn't figure out the issues. I decided I didn't want the car and asked for my money back. The dealer I dealt with was terrific and had no issues of returning all my money back on the Q7. What was disappointing was the fact that Audi of America could care less about my issue with their new vehicle and had informed me that under no circumstance am I to recieve my money back and that they would fix the car and too bad to me. I was shocked about how they could care less about their customers. I would never buy and Audi again. They are done in my book. There are plenty of other issues with the Q as well but I'm not here to write a documentary on that car. Stick with the Japanese cars. They are more reliable, better and still fun to drive. I saw and sat in the new MDX the other day. The car is really amazing in person. Very impressed. I think the new MDX will give the new BMW X5 a huge run for the money. It's all about how you feel about a name. It's just a name. Remember, most cars these days almost all cost the same amount of money. Don't think that if you drive a Mercedes that it's going to have better resale then a simple Toyota product. You will lose you'r butt on the Mercedes. I should know, I just sold two of mine a couple months back and took a huge hit....Get the MDX you won't be sorry.
  • Options
    Well from everything I've read in the last few days it would seem that the new MDX will likely be tuned very differently than the upcoming Pilot, i.e. Acura has gone sporty with this new CUV. I assume that the new Pilot will not be tuned to go on the track and will remain primarily a people-mover.

The success of the Mazda CX-7 shows that people do want a CUV that behaves somewhat likes a sports car, so what Acura is doing makes sense and it might be worth a slight premium over the Pilot. It's a shame that it is going after overpriced CUVs like the Q7 or X5, because the slight premium then becomes a "high premium" in order to keep up with the Joneses!
  • Options
    "if the mpg is worse then teh tribeca then its not worth the hp it has over the tribeca."

This should make things easy for you. The estimated EPA mileage for the MDX is 17/22 mpg (City/Highway) running on premium fuel. The Tribeca is supposed to return 18/23 on regular.

Don't bother with the Audi if fuel economy is really that important to you.
This discussion has been closed.