Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Subaru Legacy/Outback 2005+

Comments

• Options
    rsorganizersorganize Member Posts: 131
    Just a bit less than $30,000. Haven't talked selling/buying price, yet. I have seen about 5-6 listings for the '04s in NY-New England. This is, by far, the lowest mileage and lowest asking price. I suspect that the Touaregs will go for less than the A6's?
  • Options
    joemackjoemack Member Posts: 3
    I purchased my first Subaru (2007 Outback 2.5i Ltd Wagon) last weekend and I had the exact opposite impression of the original unimpressed poster. I think it really does matter what you are used to.

My prior everyday transportation had been a Ford F150 pickup truck and for me the Outback feels like a Ferrari! :shades: (disclaimer: I've never driven a Ferrari). I am able to corner with such confidence and the ride is very smooth. I think the acceleration is just fine: I've found you just can't mash the pedal- you have to roll your foot on it.

I'm having big fun taking the long way to and from work and I can't wait to take it up to the snow this weekend. My Ford had 4wd and with studded tires and sandbags to weight the back, I could go anywhere in the snow. I'm hoping I won't need to get special tires for the Subaru, but we'll see.

Joe
  • Options
    edwardsfedwardsf Member Posts: 190
    The mpg of a Stryker Brigade Combat vehicle would be better than a Toureg. I don't see these vehicles as comparable at all. One is a huge, heavy, unreliable, gas hog SUV. The other is a fast, sleek sport wagon.

That said, a new OB XT woudl certainly be a more dependable choice and more nimble car than the A6 Avant. If one needs to drive long highway distances or carry more than 2 adults, the Avant might be a better choice. If you are on windy backroads or don't like visiting mechanics, the OB would seem to be a better choice.

While the Sportcombi, along with the OB XT. may be the perfect concept, GM has tainted my beloved Saab brand.
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    As long as its Quattro and under warranty, then if you like it go for it. A FWD Audi is like ice-cream that is freeze-dried, i.e. pointless.

-juice
  • Options
    You ought to test drive a Legacy GT 5EAT. It's much quicker, has the nicer 5 speed auto, and the steering feels tighter due to the lower profile tires.

That would address all 3 of your complaints.

-juice
  • Options
    Thanks, Juice. It is, indeed, Quattro - Premium, Cold Weather and 4135 miles. Pretty sweet.
  • Options
    4k miles?

My concern would be why did the original owner get rid of it so soon? Was there a rattle that drove him/her crazy?

Just make sure to get a long (I mean long) test drive. Get out on the highway, turn the radio off completely.

-juice
  • Options
    saedavesaedave Member Posts: 694
    4k miles?

My concern would be why did the original owner get rid of it so soon?
    4k miles?

My concern would be why did the original owner get rid of it so soon? Was there a rattle that drove him/her crazy?

juice,

It could have been something personal: A friend of mine bought a new Cadillac with 400 miles because the owner who had been given the car by his father discovered he was too fat to fit comfortably behind the wheel. :D

Dave
  • Options
    Indeed, could be, and the test drive with the radio off will verify it was something like that, and not an annoyance that will drive you crazy.

-juice
  • Options
    What I was told - and I actuallly believe them - is that the car belonged to the owner's friend's mother-in-la and that she basically used the car to go to the train station. Seems like a lot of the wealthier folks in that area have 3rd cars that are essetialy used for that purpose, since they take the train into the NYC. Since it CPO'd, it cannot be a 'lemon' re-purchase, been in an accident, etc. Now, why she is giving it up, I don't know.
  • Options
    kmcleankmclean Member Posts: 173
    My daughter had planned to buy a new (2007) OB 2.5i Limited wagon next spring. However, she recently discovered that the 5-speed manual transmission has been discontinued for that model for 2007. After looking carefully at the layout of the two 2007 models that offer the manny tranny (the 2.5i Wagon and the Basic Wagon), she's decided she'd rather have a 2006 Ltd version (and there are some available). And, no, the turbo is not an option.

Two questions:

1) Any significant differences between the 2006 and 2007 2.5i models in general (beyond those already noted), and,

2) What would be a reasonable discount to expect on a new, but one-model-year old vehicle such as this?

Thanks in advance, and happy turkey day!

Ken in (temporarily dry) Seattle (glub, glub)
  • Options
    c_hunterc_hunter Member Posts: 4,487
    Fitzmall.com already has the 07 2.5i Ltd at $1500-2000 below invoice. The 06 has $2000 more incentive on it than the 07. So maybe $3500-4000 below invoice? Not all dealerships will match Fitzmall though. Definitely don't let on that you're desperate for a 5MT model, as this would probably make the dealer less generous with the discounts!

The main difference is the radio aux-in jack new for the 07 model. If she wants to use an iPod or other device with clean sound, it may be a factor.

Edit: one other thing -- there will be a significant refresh for the 08 models that might be worth waiting for.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I have always been a fan of significant change years - one does not end up saying "oh, if only I had waited a few more months!" but also has the benefit of (typically) getting the older model at decent discounts if that is still the preferred choice.

In my opinion, the aux jack is probably the most significant difference between the 06/07 non-aspirated Limiteds, unless of course you really prefer one of the color combinations from '06 that were dropped for '07.
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    I usually go for the older model and the bigger discount. There's no major powertrain changes, just little stuff.

-juice
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Major change years mean you are the beta tester for any production line issues. Even if they don't change the vehicle, 2nd and 3rd year production of a given "style" are generally better because the line and production are better trained, etc.

-mike
  • Options
    kenskens Member Posts: 5,869
    The heater elements in my LGT wagon are activated with the rear window defrost switch.

Ken
  • Options
    jeffmcjeffmc Member Posts: 1,742
    Relevant changes for '07 Outback:
    Pre-wired for optional Remote Start
    DRL daytime running light 'on' indicator
    new interior cloth colors: Charcoal Tweed or Warm Ivory Tweed
    Tire Pressure Monitoring TPMS on all models except Basic 2.5i model.
    CD now plays MP3, all models
    iPod center console auxilliary plug, all models
    pre-wired for XM Satellite radio, all models
    SRSLabs WOW stereo system (Limited & above)

She's looking to buy in spring, and by then we may have an idea of what the '08 lineup will be for the US, and the '08s will be on sale in what, May or June 2007 anyway? If '08 doesn't offer a MT OB Ltd, she could get a great deal on a non-Ltd. '07 or find a slightly used Ltd '06 that suits here needs (should be able to find a nice used one fairly easily in the Seattle area, since there are so many on the road). I'll buck the trend and say wait for '08 model, since that's when she's looking to purchase anyway. If she waits just six months from now, she can get a 2-year-newer car with a new, slightly sleeker bodystyle and what should be some nice feature upgrades. Newer model=better resale, and she'll feel like she has a brand new car longer. All the mechanicals for '08 are proven, so there's little risk.

If you're interested in what the '08 Outback will look like, it's been on sale in Japan & Europe already. Here it is on the Subaru UK site:
    http://www.subaru.co.uk/IMGGB/WWW/subaru_co_uk.nsf/LiveByRef/PMAS-6UPKWQ?OpenDoc- - ument
  • Options
    Bought the A6. It was, in fact, bearly perfect. Interior and exterior were near-pristine. No problems on the test drive...or, the 150 mi. drive home. In-service date was 10/31/04, meaning that I have nearly two years of the original warranty (including all free mainetenance) plus 2 more years and 50,000 miles. Perfect for my high mileage driving. IMHO, a great deal too sweet to pass up.

Next up: buying a car, so we have flexibility with my 16 year old. Will probably go Subaru, again. He's an obsessed skier and nithing better up here than the Subie for a teen driver. OB Sport, Legacy GT...we'll see, If he ultimately gets my wife's Forester, then she'll more than likely get another Subaru.

Thanks all, for advice. Best board on Edmunds.

Peace.
  • Options
    Congratulations Richard -- I hope you enjoy the A6. I would be interested in seeing pictures when you get a chance!

Craig
  • Options
    Thanks, Craig. Will try to do so, soon.

Peace.
  • Options
    gobears75gobears75 Member Posts: 5
    I am about to purchase a 2.5i. My wife has disdain for the Warm Ivory interior, so it will be the Charcoal tweed. I have reservations about the black dash. Collecting heat, causing the AC not to work as well. Any comments? Also with all that glass I suppose I will get window tinting. Any suggestions. Wish Subaru would get with it and include privacy windows. The CRV EX has them.
  • Options
    It would not pass car-safety standards if it had tinted glass. That's why it's not offered on most (if not all) vehicles classified as cars.

-mike
  • Options
    No matter what the interior color, the top of the dash is always black.

I have the all-black leather interior in my 05 XT, with no additional window tint, and it's not nearly as bad as I feared. It cools down just fine in the summer, and AC has more than enough power. If you get the cloth interior, it would be even better than my leather I'm sure.

I think it helps that I have the light gold exterior. My previous Outback had a dark exterior with the light interior, and I can't say it was any cooler -- the dark paint on the old car may have had more impact on heat than the dark interior on the new one.

In 05, Subaru did offer tinted rear windows as a "port" option (Outback is classified as truck, BTW). I saw a few Outbacks on the lot with this. Not sure if it's still available or not. But being a port option, it was simply a high quality aftermarket film -- not dark glass. So you could get the same effect by having tint installed -- just pick a good shop. It's actually easier to install tint on Subarus with the frameless windows.

I contemplated getting tint for my 05 XT, but since heat hasn't really been an issue I have not done it.
  • Options
    willocwilloc Member Posts: 19
    Just curious, I was playing around with the UK link listed above. The Outback 3.0R Spec-B started at $28,xxx pounds. I'm guessing that car would be around $36,000 in the US.
    With the exchange rate factored in, in US that would be around $53,000 (!) I know UK has high taxes and probably extra taxes for emissions, but come on - $53K for a Subie??? Doesn't seem right to me, am I missing something here?
  • Options
    OBS sounds perfect. Get the SE package because it's a bargain.

Congrats on the A6.

-juice
  • Options
    samiam_68samiam_68 Member Posts: 775
    Black dash = excellent visibility in bright sunlight because it won't reflect on the windshield (unless you put a gallon of armor-all on it :shades: )
  • Options
    gobears75gobears75 Member Posts: 5
    To all who responded to me, thanks. There are some great comments there.
    :)
  • Options
    krzysskrzyss Member Posts: 849
    I believe 21% VAT and custom duties. I might be wrong.

Krzys
  • Options
    cptpltcptplt Member Posts: 1,075
    that price is before taxes, lots of things in the UK are the same price as in the US, except its in pounds, not dollars!

you want an example of outrageous taxes, go to Hong Kong, 100% tax on cars, they don't want any on teh road and when you consider they probably have more Rollers, big Mercs per capita than most other places in the world, you wonder where all that $$ is coming from!
  • Options
    tinyoceantinyocean Member Posts: 4
    Hi, I bought an armrest extension for my new 07 outback 2.5i LMT. But I can't find the ashtray mentioned in the instruction. There is only a rear cup holder instead. :confuse: I presume that this cup holder is the one I need to remove before I can access the screws to remove the rear console box cover. Is it right? How to remove the rear cup holder? A new Subie needs your help.

Thanks,
    John
  • Options
    Hi, John. Try the instructions here. There are 3 pages... check 'em all out.
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    That link is to a car-related forum, so it violates the EDMUNDS User Agreement.

I got an email message from the wagon Administrator saying a post had been removed when I mentioned that forum previously.

It seems to vary by Moderator - other forums here seem to care less as long as they are getting traffic. So beware about linking to another forum, even if it would make this one better.....
  • Options
    bbeveridgebbeveridge Member Posts: 2
    I have a two week old 07 Outback Lmt Wagon. Great so far, except.. while driving on the freeway in a strong wind, there was an occasional howling sound coming from the passenger side - maybe the side mirror, or the air vent, I couldn't tell. It sounds sort of like someone blowing on the top of a bottle, but higher pitched. Very strange. Has anyone else encountered this?
  • Options
    If it's a humming noise and you are sure it's wind related, it may be the roof rack crossbars. They are easily removed, so you can test the theory. I leave the crossbars off when they are not in use to cut down on general wind noise, including the hum. Alternately, you can spiral-wrap a rope or bungie around the crossbars to alleviate the noise.

The mirrors do make a whistling noise, but you'd know that if you heard it, and would generally only hear it with the windows down. The only other thing to check is to flip/pivot the mirrors inward, and see if there are any loose stickers or labels in that pivot hinge joint. To clarify, I am talking about flipping the whole mirror housing inward, not the glass. On numerous Subarus, a small sticker in that area has acted like a reed in the wind. If you see a loose/peeling sticker there, remove it and see if the noise goes away.

If it's not the rack or mirrors and/or not wind related, I would suspect the tires. The RE-92A on the Outbacks emit a faint humming/groaining sound on certain concrete highway surfaces. It's not tread noise, it's actually the tire casing resonating. It comes and goes. You can gently tap any of the tires with a hammer (hammer head in your hand, handle end to the tire) to hear this particular noise.

Good luck!
    Craig
  • Options
    bbeveridgebbeveridge Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the suggestions. I had been on that stretch of freeway when there wasn't any wind, and didn't hear any weird noises. Next time it is windy, I may drive it again and try to better pinpoint the source of the noise.
  • Options
    tinyoceantinyocean Member Posts: 4
    Thank you very much Jeffmc. I just finished it after reading the post. The point is that if you don't have an ashtray as the instruction mentioned, there should be a plastic plate above the cupholder, which looks unlike to be removed but it is removable. In my case, the plastic plate and the following plastic cover are not easy to remove with my fingures, so I used 2 flat screwdrivers to pry them out. The rest of the whole process was easy and straightforward.

Thanks again! you stopped me from damaging my rear cup holder. ;)

John
  • Options
    meliaantmeliaant Member Posts: 6
    Hey folks, on my 2005 Legacy 2.5i, the OEM tires are pretty crappy Bridgestone Potenza RE92's...anyone have any suggestions for the best replacement for someone in New England that is looking for a sweet all-season? I know the Yokohama AVID is nice, and Toyo Proxes TPT is swell, as well, anyone mind throwing their two cents in? Thanks!

PS - Anyone else struggle with their vents breaking clips, causing majorly annoying rattles? Gone through 3 vent clips in 35K miles...
  • Options
    terry92270terry92270 Member Posts: 1,247
    I like the Michelins, the expensive all weather ones.

As for the sound, stop listening for it. It will be amazing to you how it stops bothering you. :P
  • Options
    No problem with the vents here. When I need new tires, I will be looking at the Bridgestone Turanza.
  • Options
    I cannot say enough great things about the Sumitommo HTR+ All Season Tires. I've ran ALOT of different tires over the years. Best part? they are like under $75 at tire rack! I love em for a balanced tire that wears well and has great snow, wet and dry performance. If you are more on the dry side of an all season the SP5000s from Dunlop are great too but more expensive.

-mike
  • Options
    dougb10dougb10 Member Posts: 185
    On my '05 Outback Limited, I replaced the RE92's with Bridgestone Turanza LS-H tires. Love 'em! Great ride and much better in rain or snow.

Doug
  • Options
    Glad that worked out for you, John. Now I won't mind if a moderator removes my post. :) I would've posted that info from another source, if I could've found it anywhere else.
  • Options
    doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    I have the exact same problem on my 2005 OB XT. It isn't the cross bars (I've removed mine). Rather, it has something to do with the window gasket on the passenger side. I previously thought it had something to do with the sunroof or roof rack, but on my last windy trip through the Columbia Gorge a passenger was able to help troubleshoot the problem. Eventually, by sticking a map between the troubled area of the gasket and the window, we were able to get the noise to cease during that trip. The noise was coming from a section maybe 6-9 inches above the passenger-side mirror. I don't know what to do other than have the dealer replace the entire window gasket. I wish Subaru would switch to framed windows. I suspect that the issue wouldn't have arisen in that case.

Let me know if you find any solutions, and I'll do likewise.

Doug
  • Options
    There are 3-4 adjustments that can be made to the glass to fix the problem. The dealer should know what to do. Is it still under warranty??

Here's an example from my previous 02 Outback, which needed this adjustment (back door):

http://members.cox.net/craig.hunter/window/images/img_06_01.jpg

It could also be the mirror gusset, which has adjustments too, or can be replaced cheaply. However, you made it sound like it was coming from a higher location than that. With noises, it's important to differentiate between the location of the source and the location of a "fix". Long term, you want to eliminate the source!
  • Options
    doug1doug1 Member Posts: 37
    Thanks for the info., Craig! That's good to know. I'll bring it up with the dealer next time I'm in. I still have 8 months of the BTB warranty left, so I'm fine on that front.

Doug
  • Options
    garandmangarandman Member Posts: 524
    Hey folks, on my 2005 Legacy 2.5i, the OEM tires are pretty crappy Bridgestone Potenza RE92's...anyone have any suggestions for the best replacement for someone in New England that is looking for a sweet all-season? I know the Yokohama AVID is nice, and Toyo Proxes TPT is swell, as well, anyone mind throwing their two cents in? Thanks!

I'm convinced there's no such thing. We now use dedicated snows, even on our Subarus.

There is one all-season passenger tire that has the "mountain/snowflake" severe duty snow rating. The nokian WR is not sold mail-order but there are many dealers throughout New England.
  • Options
    xwesxxwesx Member Posts: 16,798
    I ran through some wind last night (55-60 mph+, gusting) and found that when there were particularly strong gusts broad-siding me, the resulting vacuum on the lee side of the car actually pulled the windows slightly away from the frame gaskets and the wind noise was horrendous. As soon as the gusts would subside, so would the noise. Granted, my car is 11+ years old with 220,000 miles on it, so I am well able to tolerate such intermittent weather-induced annoyances. :D
    2018 Subaru Crosstrek, 2014 Audi Q7 TDI, 2013 Subaru Forester, 1969 Chevrolet C20, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250
  • Options
    pathtomaxpathtomax Member Posts: 215
    I am on my second set of Bridgestone Turanza's. I rotate every 7-8,000 miles. The last set I had lasted about 55,000 miles. I was going to have them on longer, but one needed to be replaced, so I purchased all new ones. They are expensive, but worth it in Northern New England (NH).
  • Options
    luck11luck11 Member Posts: 425
    I replaced my re92s with Falken Ziex this spring. Never again. I do not "mario andretti" my vehicle by any means and yet, they have worn tremendously....more quickly than any tire I have ever had. They seemed to stick well on dry and wet....which is what I wanted them for. But I don't want to replace my tires every 2nd year.

I echo the sentiments that an all-season is really a compromise tire...especially for the winter. Go for a summer or all season that is has good dry and wet rating, then a true winter tire (snow flake on sidewall) for winter.

Cheers.
  • Options
    I replace my tires every 2 years even if I don't need to as the rubber compound breaks down and you get less grip after 2 years. That's just me, so if they wear out in 2 years it's not a big deal for me.

-mike