Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronic Car Buyers Anonymous

Comments

• xwesxxwesx Fairbanks, AlaskaPosts: 8,645
    The only tire with which I have not had to sacrifice one for the other is the Goodyear TripleTred. I get excellent life and excellent performance out of those (for an all-season tire). But, there is a down side: Despite what the manufacturer says, fuel economy does go down while using them. On my Forester, it is a consistent 1 mpg less as compared to the OEM tire when averaged over the course of the season (mid-April through Sept).

Hello cake, I shall eat you....
    2010 Subaru Forester, 2011 Ford Fiesta, 1969 Chevrolet C20 Pickup, 1969 Ford Econoline 100, 1976 Ford F250 Pickup, 1974 Ford Pinto Wagon
  • corvettecorvette United StatesPosts: 4,195
    "What's more, Jolie's Explorer isn't on the list."

Oops. Fixed!
  • qbrozenqbrozen Posts: 17,599
    still liking my 28!

And I see Breld is leading for most by a single member in the year so far. I'm pretty certain I have a 3rd coming before year end.

'13 Stang GT; '15 Fit; '98 Volvo S70; '14 Town&Country

• nyccarguynyccarguy Stamford, CTPosts: 7,889
    The board for this one:

I hit a big MILEstone today in my Prelude. 150,000 miles!

2001 Prelude Type SH, 2011 Pilot EX-L 4WD, 2015 Subaru Legacy 2.5i Premium

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,416
    my (sons) TL just ticked over 170K.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

• steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,579
    I'm going to hit 190,000 in my '99 Quest in about an hour.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,399
    Please tell me it has the original battery and you won't swap it out until it fails.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,579
    edited August 2013
    The OEM one died at age 3 in 2001 - $40 for a new one.

That replacement died in '09 and I paid $75 to replace it.

I can drive the other car and trickle charge the battery if one dies, and neither car is new enough to have much in the way of sensors that like having retained power. But I wouldn't stretch one much since I'm living where it gets cold now. It was around 14°F when the timing belt broke, but we got a tow fast.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ohenryxohenryx Posts: 285
    The 2008 Passat I just bought is going to roll over into 6 digits later this week. And speaking of batteries, the last time it was at the dealer (about one month ago, which was before I purchased it), it got a new battery. It was up on the rack having the transmission serviced (recall for a servo? required the transmission pan being dropped, so the auto transmission has been serviced!)

Anyway, when they went to drive it off the rack after the transmission service, the battery was stone cold dead! Lasted a hair over 5 years. You could look at this 2 ways

1) Excellent place to have the battery die, in the dealership service department. No fuss, no muss, no bother, all good.

2) Highest priced battery you're likely to find (not so good).
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,562
    Will pass 1,000 on the new VW this week.
    - Ray
    New car, new battery - etc....
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Posts: 2,702
    '02 Lexus RX300 just turned 136,000 miles. New shoes and vapor recovery cannister on the near-future list.

'09 Jag XK, just hit the Big Four 0,000. It's British, I'm somewhat frightened of what may be on the near-future list (but not shoes or brakes, that happend in it's mid-30s!)

'13 Jaguar XF, '11 BMW 535xi, '02 Lexus RX300

• sandman_6472sandman_6472 Coral Springs, FLPosts: 2,737
    Did 4 Ft. Myers to Lauderdale trips this weekend so it was a good couple of days. Drove a couple of Jeep Liberties, a Ford Fusion (last generation) and a '12 Nissan Sentra. Am starting to really like the Jeeps and the boss made sure to comment when he gave me the keys to the 1st one how he remembered I really loved the Wrangler with the broken top I drove back in July. Today's trip almost was a no go as no one knew what was going on till 11:25 this morning. Saturday was a planned mission so we left base at 8 and were done by about 4:30 but when I texted the boss at 7:30 this morning, he had no idea what the story was even though we were told we had another double header today. Communication is the big problem with this company unfortunately and lots of times we just don't know what we are doing. Friday I was texting with a co-worker at about 8:30 and she said hold tight, they might need you and within 3 minutes, the boss called and asked if me and another guy would do a special gig for Sixt in Miami.

On the 2nd trip today as I was exiting the 12 pack, my bad leg gave way and next thing I know, I'm on the ground! My leg went numb again and I just tumbled out the door! A bit bruised and sore right now but that will pass. The others were great as they rushed over to pick me up and we ended up having a good laugh about it later when we got back to base...guess it did look kinda funny at the time...never a dull moment when I'm around!
    Hopefully this work will continue...it's great to work!!!!

The Sandman

2014 Hyundai Tuscon SE/2005 Mazda 3s/2008 Hyundai Accent GLS/2009 Nissan Versa SL hatch

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,763
    Good to know; I'll be replacing the Contis on my wife's 3er in 6-8 months...

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• roadburnerroadburner Posts: 6,763
    Only low mileage creampuffs here...

2009 328i: 47,400
    2007 MS3: 126,900
    2004 X3: 155,700
    1999 Wrangler: 111,050
    1995 318ti: 135,700
    1975 2002: 202,800

2009 328i / 2004 X3 2.5/ 1995 318ti Club Sport/ 1975 2002A/ 2007 Mazdaspeed 3/ 1999 Wrangler/ 1996 Speed Triple Challenge Cup Replica

• michaellnomichaellno Posts: 4,300
    My best friend in CA contacted me on Friday. His sisters Mazda Protege died after 220,000 miles and he was looking for opinions about a replacement. He's thinking an Acura TL or Infiniti G ( my friend drives a mid 90's J30 with close to 200K on it).

After some back and forth texting, I recommended either another Mazda (3 or 6) or an Accord, all of which can be had for comfortably under her $30k budget.

Last I heard, I think she's going with another Mazda. I'll keep folks posted on what she ends up with.
  • mark156mark156 Posts: 1,992
    A friend of mine lives near Detroit working 'in' the car parts business. It seems on the weekends there are a lot of American Iron car gatherings, etc.

What's going to happen in another 20-25 yrs.? People aren't buying near as many American cars like they did in the 50's-60's-70's. Our antique cars are all going to be Mercedes, Jaguar's, Nissan's, Toyota's, Volvo's, Audi's, Honda's, etc. Our future American cars show will be so much smaller than what we see today. I haven't bought an American car since the 1981 Oldsmobile and a Jeep in 1996 (was American owned then).

Just something to think about...

Mark156
  • jayriderjayrider Posts: 3,399
    An antique car has to be rare and cool to have value as collectibles. Certain current high option high power Mustangs, Camaros and Corvettes have potential but who knows.
  • abacomikeabacomike South FloridaPosts: 4,062
    What's going to happen in another 20-25 yrs.?

The American manufacturers of automobiles (Ford, GM, Chrysler) woke up in the early 2000's and started producing vehicles that performed better, were easier to maintain, drove more like a European Sports Sedan and handled as well, and most importantly, started building vehicles of higher quality with less emphasis on putting out millions of cars and trucks as quickly as they could.

Unfortunately, Americans had switched to Japanese, Korean and German vehicles during the 1990's through the mid 2000's and still have memories of what American made cars were like to own, maintain, and drive. It is going to take several decades of constant improvements in American manufacturing of vehicles to undo what they did to themselves.

As most of you know, I have owned BMW and now Mercedes cars for almost 20 years now and have not really been disappointed in these German imports. They tend to be a bit more pricey than American cars, but the quality of build and fit, not to mention the handling and stability of these cars makes it well worth the extra dollars needed to buy and maintain one.

I have seriously looked at Cadillac, but the CTS and ATS are too small with very limited interior space and trunk volume. The Lincoln cars are also a bit cramped and I would not buy a Chrysler product at this point. So, in the class of car (size, power, performance and handling) I desire, there isn't much in the American made market for me to contemplate.

IMHO, until American manufacturers can match, if not surpass, their Japanese and European competition, things will remain dismal for American cars. I do feel, however, that American built small and heavy trucks are superior to European and Japanese makes - so that will keep the industry alive long enough for them to overcome their miscalculations during the 80's, 90's and early 2000's.

2015 Mercedes Benz E400

• Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,648
    I'm trying to find out what 2000-2002 Ford Rangers are going for at auction, ext. cab V6.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

• breldbreld Posts: 1,390
    Having been a fan of the CRX, and small Hondas in general, I always liked the CR-Z since it came out (not that it necessarily captured the CR-X's spirit as well as one would've liked).

Used ones are becoming more available and, like the Crosstour, they seem to be depreciating quite a bit.

There are a couple of local ones with reasonable miles for what seems to be attractive prices - a 2011 EX Manual w/18k miles, listed for $14.9k, and a 2011 EX CVT w/26k miles, listed for $13.9k.

The 2-seater configuration is what holds me back - not sure how often it would really work for me. But I'm starting to get tempted at those prices, just to have some fun with it and then unload it when I decide it's no longer useful. Can't imagine the depreciation would be all that great at those prices.

2011 BMW 535xi - 2015 GTI - 2008 A3 - 2009 Ody

My first thought is that the 2 seater config will not be compatible with all the kids you have - 4, is it?

I gotta believe that a back seat is mandatory.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,391
    I looked at these too. It depends how you plan to use it, IMO. Loud and harsh for freeway. Good seats. Available manual. Owners beat EPA pretty easily on Fuelly. Terrible blind spots and visibility. They are getting cheaper.

I think half of people's complaints about this car would have went away if Honda named it the Insight Sport, and not CRZ. Totally different expectations.

15 Leaf / 08 RDX

I think half of people's complaints about this car would have went away if Honda named it the Insight Sport, and not CRZ. Totally different expectations.

Huh, never thought of it quite like that. All the fanbois were hoping the CRZ would be the second coming of the CRX. Didn't quite work out that way.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Posts: 30,477

Prices Paid, Lease Questions, SUVs

Yeah - the 2-seater defeats the purpose as a commuter car. There are only 1-2 days a week when I don't have to have some sort of backseat, so the high MPG car would sit in the garage while I take something else.

I just like a good deal : ).

• stickguystickguy Posts: 15,416
    I'm the opposite. For the 7 months I had my Integra, the back seat was never used.

2015 Hyundai Sonata 2.4i Limited Tech (mine), 2013 Acura RDX (wife's) and 2007 Volvo S40 (daughters college car)

I'm the opposite. For the 7 months I had my Integra, the back seat was never used.

Right, but both your kids drive. Breld still has littler kids at home .. IIRC, only one of them is close to having her license. That's who the Veloster was purchased for.

A good deal really isn't if you can't use the value of the item you purchased.
    Yup - my two boys are 8 and 10, plus a 15 year-old stepdaughter and a 17 year-old stepson. The 17 year old has disabilities that will prevent him from ever being a driver. There are literally only 1-2 days a week that I'm not transporting my boys one way or the other, so a 2-seater would see little use. That's exactly why I switched out my Miata for the GTI.

So, yes, doesn't do much good to have a good deal sitting in the garage, especially if it's an ideal commuter like the CR-Z. All of these factors continue to point toward a possible Prius in my future.

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't seem to have the formatting tools and Emotorcons available when posting anymore?

BTW, am I the only one who doesn't seem to have the formatting tools and Emotorcons available when posting anymore?

Nope, nobody's got them .. Edmunds is working on a solution.

Sorry to be the one to rain on your parade, but a car with a backseat seems to be a necessity. Prius Sport, perhaps? (if such a thing existed)

Me? I'm real curious about the VW GTD that will be here next year, and how it will compare to the new Mazda 3 due out in a couple of months. Similar HP and MPG ratings, though I suspect the 3 will be a bit less costly and have more 'features'.
  • tifightertifighter WAPosts: 1,391
    No, they've been down for awhile.

:(

15 Leaf / 08 RDX