Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Ford Mustang Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    vistabluesvistablues Member Posts: 6
    Took delivery on my 06 GT Premium 5 speed manual Vistablue convertible today. Unbelieveable! It is absolutely awesome to drive. Look out Northwest Wisconsin! Ended up paying sticker at $32,400. Got the Shaker 500, and the only other options I didn't get are the side airbags and security alarm. Love the sound of that engine! Hope other shoppers are having good luck. I waited 6 months, but my dealer pulled it off.
  • Options
    gzgtpgzgtp Member Posts: 83
    Just found out about this message board. Didn't realize people were having such a hard time/long wait for their GT's. I got mine about 4 weeks ago. I found a black 5 spd on the lot on a Saturday and the car was delivered to me on that following Monday (not bad considering they are closed on Sunday). I got it on the X plan price. Several hundred under invoice. Fortunately my company does a lot of business with this dealer and I made sure they were aware of that, so they honored the Xplan. It was a smooth deal. If you are near Durham NC, try University Ford.
    PS. The GT is awesome. Everything and More than I thought it would be.
  • Options
    haozidongdonghaozidongdong Member Posts: 2
    2006 conv. v6 premium, automatic, almost full loaded. I have spent 2.5hr to test drive and negotiate. ($200 above invoice price27750-$1000rebate)=about $26750, OTD price will be around 29000, Is it a fair price? It's $1000 over our budget. We have no other choice, since not many cars left. Also dealer told us we could not order production since the 2007 is coming out. Is it true? Thank you for answering my questions. BTW 4 is sold at the dealer today. Sounds hot.
  • Options
    gtgtcobragtgtcobra Member Posts: 268
    You could buy a brand new 2006 GT Mustang Coupe for that price.
    Don't buy the V6. Get the GT instead. The V6's have a LOT of problems.
  • Options
    haozidongdonghaozidongdong Member Posts: 2
    Problems refer to the engine prob? or some other problems? Thanks for your advices.
  • Options
    lmmlmm Member Posts: 70
    I have a 06 V6 and have no problems.

Yes, ordering for 2006 is over. 2007's are coming soon.

if you wait until they hit the lots you will find 2006's much cheaper.

If over your budget you should wait.
  • Options
    husker5husker5 Member Posts: 15
    I bought a windveil blue Mustang GT convertable, 5 sp manual, for $2K under sticker here in St. Paul, MN. The dealer traded for one from Fargo and had it delivered to me one day after I gave him the go ahead. The car is fantastic, every bit what I expected. Interestingly, another dealer I had been trying to work a deal with (but only at $500 under sticker) came back with a similiar offer ($2K under sticker) 4 days after I took delivery. However, the choices in 5 sp. GT conv. are very limited and don't last long.
    husker5
  • Options
    ogmasterogmaster Member Posts: 4
    Can anyone share some prices they have had lately with the V6 coupe? I really want to get a Mustang and right now the GT is a little out of my range, but I'm in need of a car right now and the V6 seems to be good enough for me. Just wondered if anyone was able to get an recent significant price drops because of the 07s on the way.
  • Options
    m1miatam1miata Member Posts: 4,551
    It was not so long ago, as in 2004 model year, for buying a V6 for $15K to $17K on sale, and the GT for say $23 to 24K. Now the prices are getting crazy. It is around $21K for the V6 and $26.5K to $30K for the V8 = ouch! Now I suppose things like anti-lock brakes may not have been figured in before and the traction control. Oh well, I guess the $3000 off deals will come sooner, if not later.
    -Loren
  • Options
    stkntrafficstkntraffic Member Posts: 172
    I think the deals are already here. A local dealer had an ad last Saturday - 3K off MSRP on all GT's in stock (Austin, TX)
  • Options
    pony_piratepony_pirate Member Posts: 317
    Wonder if higher gas prices have anything to do with reduced demand for the GT, which is hardly fuel-efficient? Still, manual GT's are rare, GT convertibles even rarer, and don't last a week at my local dealers. :shades:
  • Options
    Don't know about that... I have a '98 GT that I bought new- I consistently get 20-21 around town, 24-25 on the highway. Looking to buy a new GT in a few months, and I was hoping the mileage would be about the same.
  • Options
    The GT's and Convertibles are NOT rare. Up here in new England there are many dealers who have like 12 to 15 Mustang GT's, convertibles and V6's all on their lots and they are ALL UNSOLD!
    The rarity of the GT's and convertibles is nothing but hype and BS.
  • Options
    You need to look closer, read the stickers. How many of these GT's are manual. What are the options packages? Have they added the undesirable 1000 watt stereo to elevate the price? Are they selling at MSRP or with an unreasonable dealer markup? Are the convertibles GT's? Are the colors the most desirable (black, red, silver, etc.)? I too have a local dealer with plenty of Tangs, but none properly equiped, most V6's, many with ridiculous Rousch upgrades, some in less desirable colors, cloth interiors, etc. The silver GT convertible was gone within one week. :shades:
  • Options
    jayhawk63jayhawk63 Member Posts: 4
    I am in Arizona, and I am having problems with geting the dealerships to honor the x-plan pricing on GT conv. Most want at least MSRP, if not more. :confuse:
  • Options
    ogmasterogmaster Member Posts: 4
    Did a quick test drive the other day and got a quote with the x plan price. It was a standard v6 coupe and the price was about a $100 less than the x plan price provided($18830). I'm considering this as sort of my last option deal, but does anyone have ideas if they have gotten any cheaper for the v6 standard coupe.
  • Options
    rdarmsrdarms Member Posts: 3
    Hi. Two questions for you after I say congrats on the new Stang!

1) what kind of gas mialage are you getting on your Mustang GT 5 speed?

2) whats this Xplan pricing and how do I get to use it!?

Thanks!
    -Rob
  • Options
    topoffgttopoffgt Member Posts: 14
    See my post on March 19th (#681) on x-plan pricing. No info on gas mileage yet.
  • Options
    juice21jjuice21j Member Posts: 2
    I am deciding between leasing one of the new Eddie Bauer Explorers or buying a 2006 Mustang GT Coupe Premium. The Mustang is going to cost $26,000 with A-plan and I am putting 0 down with a $466 lease payment spread out over 72 months. The Explorer is a vehicle invoiced at over $30,000, but my lease payment would only be $275 a month with $500 down. This is my first major car purchase, as I have just graduated. The Mustang is kind of a dream car, but it’s going to cost more per month (and it may get me a ticket or two). The Explorer is nice and I feel it is a good value, but I worry about going over my miles. The idea of ownership is appealing. If anyone has any thoughts I would honestly appreciate hearing them. As I said before, this is my first new car purchase and I am not familiar with the whole game.
  • Options
    Buy what you like AND can afford with cash. Never lease, and never buy on time. Enjoy the ride in life debt free!
    -Loren

P.S. With gas at $3.50 a gallon or more, look for a slowing in GT sales and thus $3K or more in savings. Don't have any idea what the X plan price discount is, but $26K seems like a lot of money to me. Think major setback in US economy by this Summer. Be careful - don't get caught in bear traps.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,561
    Are you sure the 72 month payment on the Mustang is a lease? If it is, run far, far away from that deal...

You should never lease for longer than 48 months... Ideally, no longer than 36 months..

That has to be a purchase... $26K borrowed for 72 months at 6% APR is only $431/mo..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    You're going to be paying about $3400 more for the GT than if you paid cash (assuming it's fully loaded, excepting the 1000 watt stereo). My opinion, 6 years is a long time to pay for a car. Six years from now no car will be worth much, but you'll still be paying for it.

Why don't you compare a car loan to a lease? At least at the end of the repayment period the car will be yours.

Leases are always to the advantage of the dealer/manufacturer, loans to the advantage of the loaner.

My personal advice, don't get in hock for a car right out of school. Settle for something cheaper, maybe a used car, enjoy life, and save your dough and/or spend it on more important things (housing, education, etc.). :shades:
  • Options
    manarakimanaraki Member Posts: 40
    Hi Everyone,

I thought I would chime in on my experience Mustang shopping. I spent almost a month going back and forth with local Seattle dealers until I finally purchased my Mustang on Tuesday. Here is what I got:

2006 Mustang V6 Premium
    Tungsten Gray/Charcoal Interior (Leather)
    Auto
    Pony Package
    Leather
    Anti Theft
    Side Airbags
    Locking Wheels
    Interior Upgrade

MSRP 24,880.00
    Sell Price 21,560.00

They also gave me full trade in price on my Volvo. The experience as a whole was great. They were really friendly and worked hard to earn my business. The only frustrating thing was having them at times return my call, but for the deal I got, it was OK. They even went from Seattle to Portland to get me the car at no cost.
  • Options
    ohiocarguyohiocarguy Member Posts: 28
    I've been toying with the idea of buying a Mustang GT for some time now. I can get one on the X plan from a local dealer, and maybe at invoice pricing at another dealer through a local business organization. Can someone tell me which price would be lower, and give me an idea of the difference? If I decide to buy one, I may favor my local dealer if the difference is small.

Thanks,
    OhioCarGuy
  • Options
    My XPlan price was about $500 lower than invoice. It is a predetermined price and the dealer can show you a documented copy of the XPLan vs Invoice price.
  • Options
    ohiocarguyohiocarguy Member Posts: 28
    Thanks, gzgtp. What kind of Mustang did you buy?

OhioCarGuy
  • Options
    I have a Black 06 GT, 5 speed and I love it!
  • Options
    juice21jjuice21j Member Posts: 2
    Well, the New Mustang GT Coupe 06 I described earlier was a purchase and not a lease. The Explorer a lease. I bought the Mustang. I liked the Windveil Blue and got it...so far I love it. Also, just to clear up a monetary issue; this was not a purchase out of Undergrad...it was a purchase coming out of law school with a job contract already signed.

At any rate...I am now the proud owner of a Mustang and will be happy when we get some decent weather around here and no more RAIN!
  • Options
    You will love the new GT.
  • Options
    lavrishevolavrishevo Member Posts: 312
    If you can get it for invoice it's a deal. Dealers also don't really care if you throwing more money down, especially if you have your own financing. Don't know if you are a member of a credit union but it's the way to go. I got mine 5 months ago at 3.9% Rates have gone up a little but you should be able to stay right around 5 - 6%

D
  • Options
    rannypiperannypipe Member Posts: 7
    2006 Mustang GT Coupe 5spd Man. MSRP 25,140.00
    Option 18" Polished Alum Wheels 825.00
    Destination 720.00
    Total MSRP 26,685.00

Tampa Dealer offer on Cash Deal OTD Price (Inc. Tax,Tag,Title)

$26,305.16
  • Options
    sasukesasuke Member Posts: 77
    What trim was this?
  • Options
    Deluxe
  • Options
    Get the interior upgrade package, including seat side airbags. I know it seems like a lot to pay, but, believe me, you won't regret it. It changes the inside of the car entirely. Cloth seats and a plastic console just don't belong in this car. :shades:
  • Options
    Isn't the optional console, silver plastic? Too much shiny stuff for a dash anyway, be it plastic or aluminum. Not sure that is a step up. Leather seats are usually more slippery and hot. Not sure that is a plus or not.

Side air bags may save lives. I would say it is a good option.
    Wonder if we see a new interior soon? And what's up with this upgrade this and that. Kinda old school way to sell cars compared to the foreign cars which come with the top line materials.
  • Options
    If you are comparing the Mustang to foreign cars, you might not be ready for one yet.
  • Options
    No, the interior upgrade replaces the dingy dark plastic dash with ribbed aluminum, not shiny in the least.

Leather seats 'slippery'? I haven't fallen of mine yet. :shades:
  • Options
    Owned a '65 Mustang and an '85 model.

Are you saying the car can not compete with foreign quality?
    All cars need to compete for content, quality, and they should come with a decent warranty. If warranties are too short, you may as well buy used and save.

Will test drive the latest version and possibly a last of Fox body the same day to see what all the excitement is about.
    -Loren
  • Options
    Will say it again. Had more troubles with my Honda Accord EX than my Mustang so far, and the Honda is considered one of the most reliable cars. Also: 1) don't have to change the timing belt on the Mustang, unlike Japanese cars (a very expensive repair); 2) the maintenance schedule for the Mustang is less involved.

If I was looking for good basic reliable transportation, yes, I would gravitate to a Honda, Toyota, or Nissan. But the Mustang is a muscle car, not in the same category, and without match in its price range and performance parameters, foreign or domestic. :shades:
  • Options
    2006 Mustang GT Coupe Deluxe 5spd Man. MSRP 25,140.00
    Option 18" Polished Alum Wheels 825.00
    Destination 720.00
    Total MSRP 26,685.00

Tampa Dealer offer on Cash Deal OTD Price (Inc. Tax,Tag,Title)

$26,305.16
    I Appreciate everyone recommending that I upgrade this or that
    but again, what I am asking, is based on THIS configuration,
    for all those out there familiar w/ dealer pricing, Am I getting a good deal on this offer?
  • Options
    madcow5x5madcow5x5 Member Posts: 2
    Got a Vista Blue GT Premium Convertible about 1600 under the sticker. Will take delivery on Monday after the finance stuff goes through. I absolutely can't wait. I test drove one today and I just can't get over the feeling. :shades:
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Hard to tell. We don't know what your tax rate is.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    Fair enough, in Sarasota county Tax on a new car in 6% plus
    $50.00
  • Options
    Vehiccle, Options, destination $23,995
    Pre- Delivery Fee $ 495
    State Tire & Bat Fee $ 6.50
    sales Tax $1524.71
    Lic & Title $200.00
    MVWT $2.00
    Title Doc & Handl. fee $64.95
    Electronic filing $17.00

Total $26,305.15
  • Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    ranny.....MSRP is $26,685 on a GT like you specified.

So, looking at your deal.......

--purchase price $23,995
    --Pre-delivery fee(?) $495
    --Electronic filing fee(?) $17

(never heard of those last two fees)

Brings the total to $24,507 plus TTL (which you have to pay, no matter what).

That's a couple grand + off MSRP. Sounds like a good deal.....right near invoice.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    madcow5x5madcow5x5 Member Posts: 2
    http://us.a2.yahoofs.com/users/43cea564z7e9bb10e/5df4/__sr_/9a7are2.jpg?phoQgdEB- qj6_hI5V

I took delivery on Monday and have rarely been home since. :shades:
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,561
    WOW!! nice car..

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    2311mst2311mst Member Posts: 1
    Good afternoon, thank you in advance for your assistance!

I am looking to purchase a V-6 convertible and have a X-Plan pin.

Do you think there is a way to get a price that is lower than the X-Plan? Use the X-Plan as a starting point to the negotiation and hope to go down from there?

2007 models are coming out and there already are 1,000 of incentives on 2006 convertibles.

Thank you!
  • Options
    allcarsrcoolallcarsrcool Member Posts: 113
    I Love the new ford mustang convertable, but, I've heard about some engine issues with other fords in the past. I have heard that they spend more time in the "shop" than in the driveway and that they are constantly breaking down... Is this true? Does it carry over to the new Mustang?... Are there ford owners out there that could tell me otherwise?
  • Options
    The only thing I can say, is that I've had a '98 GT since new, and in 8 years have not had any major problems. I replaced the alternator and radiator this year but that's it.

I have never changed a single bulb - headlight, tail-light, nothing. The interior has held up well, and the paint still looks great. Of course, I garage it, but people can't believe it's 8 years old.

It consistently makes 21 mpg city, 25 highway. I'm lurking in this forum because I plan on buying a new GT sometime this year.