Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Mustang (2005 & newer) Problems and Solutions

Comments

• lmmlmm Posts: 70
    if you wait for the next generation you will likely encounter the same amount of first year problems that is typical with any new car.

The 06's dont have the problems the 05 had. I have an 06 and so far mine is fine.
  • gtgtcobragtgtcobra Posts: 259
    I am more than likely going to wait until the "next generation" Mustang body style comes out before I purchase another vehicle. I like the 05 & 06 Mustang body style, but not as much as the 99-04 body style. I'm hoping that the 2009/2010 Mustang body style will look much nicer than the 05 & 06 Mustang body style. If it does, then I may buy another Mustang. If the body style gets uglier, I will look at another model like possibly the new Camaro or the Dodge Challenger.
    But I still want to keep my 01 Mustang GT and my 02 Mustang V6. I love them too much to sell them or to trade them in for another Mustang or anything else.
  • pony_piratepony_pirate Posts: 317
    No way the '99-'04 Mustang looked nicer or had fewer problems. 1) Check Consumer Reports consumer ratings of the preceding Mustangs -- they were lemons. 2) The redesigned Mustang is hotter even than the original, imo. 3) The preceding design, rounded and soft, was feminine and lame, a woman's car, like the Miata.

The new car screams testosterone and speed. :shades:
  • trantitranti Posts: 51
    Hi! If you don't want to buy 05 or 06 Mustang, then don't buy. Don't argue so much. OK!
  • m1miatam1miata Posts: 4,556
    1) Not true
    2) Not true, if talking looks the comparison is to '68+'69 and those years are slightly better in original form. If talking performance, yeah, that's a no-brainer since we are talking some 40 years of development.
    3) A modern car, unless a large van, will be rounded. Cars do not have a sex, as they are made of steel. Women like and buy Mustangs then and now, and a Miata is better handling sports car than all of above.
    You got three out of three wrong.

Is the New Stang the best Stang, perhaps yes, but not based on your assumptions. Hopefully by 2007 the problems are all resolved. Most people do not seem to have major issues, so one could buy it now; and to that I will agree. Since it is better handling, stiffer, slightly more power, has more of the retro look for those fans, better seats, and such, then yes, the new one is perhaps the best one to buy. That said, other previous years were good too.

Model years '99 and '04 appear to be very good for reliability. I personally like the '94-'04 era for styling. And these years are years of building a new look for an auto. Too bad it takes going back in time, and cherry picking different style elements of the best years, to make a car for today. Where are the new designs? Is the current one a knock-out for styling? Well yes, it is well done. I would say a definite style hit, and one I would buy. Is this the way to go for all your favorite cars of the past? I am not so sure we need go down that path. What I like most about the car is that it looks good, handles well, is RWD, and is priced right. You do not need a replica car to do that. For looks, I like the Tiburon. Does is have all the dynamics of the Stang? Well no it doesn't. No RWD for one thing. But it is an example of modern styling, and an effort to think up something new. There is a possible RWD totally new Tiburon coming out.

It could be that the 2009 Mustang will be a more modern day design. There would be nothing wrong in some change along the way. Even a perfectly good 911 design has changed with the time. As for the retro car of today, I like it, but could do with a different interior. I had a '65, and the interior design was OK for its time, but is nothing special. Telescopic steering would be nice.

-Loren
  • lavrishevolavrishevo Posts: 312
    No this is aftermarket tint. Something inside the door panel is scratching the tint as the window moves up and down.
    I just had a quick look. The '99 Mustang GT coupe has 210 TSB's (technical service bulletins)! The '05 has 23, the '06 2. By comparison, a '93 Accord EX has 20. :shades:
    QUOTE:
    "#1146 of 1146 Re: Don't Be Afraid of Buying the New Mustang [m1miata] by pony_pirate Apr 23, 2006 (1:03 pm)
    Replying to: m1miata (Apr 23, 2006 8:54 am)

I just had a quick look. The '99 Mustang GT coupe has 210 TSB's (technical service bulletins)! The '05 has 23, the '06 2. By comparison, a '93 Accord EX has 20."

-----------------------------------------------------------

That's odd because the major problems that I have been reading up on that the 99-04 GT's had were with the transmissions. As for the 99-04 Mustang V6's, they didn't have any transmission problems or any of the mechanical problems that the GT's had.
    Like I said, I am not aware of any other "major" problems besides the transmission problems and the fit of the front quarter panels and doors on the 99-04 Mustangs. The rest of the TSB's are probably minor things.
  • I'm still looking for the "proof" in your post that you say you gave, after reading your opinions. One's own opinion is very different from a fact, and should not presented as such. There are several things to take issue with here, but I'll comment on only the following:

"Also, "ONLY" the V6 Mustang model is percieved to be a feminine car or as I like to call it, a "tampon car". Even todays 05 & 06 Mustang V6 is considered to be a tampon car. The GT is the only model which is NOT a feminine car. The GT is purchased and owned by mostly men and the V6 by women. Do your research and you will see that what I am specifying here is true."

As a male owner of a 2006 V6 coupe, I am wondering what kind of research you used to come up with such irresponsible statements. According to the Wall Street Journal, April 12, 2006, women influenced 81% of new-vehicle purchases last year. That's a lot of "tampons" on the road, so I'm sure those figures also include V6 Mustangs. I can see how more males purchase the GT, but that's true of all muscle-type cars, and that doesn't mean the conclusion is that the V6 is feminine.
    By the way, my wife had nothing to do with MY selection of MY car. She picks her own, and I pick my own. The V6 works for me, and I love it.
    There's this screaming yellow GT coupe being driven around town by a woman, probably in her 60's. :shades:
    If you want proof, go to www.stangnet.com

Do a search and then do some reading to see exactly what problems the 99-04 GT's had. You will see that they were all transmission related problems.
    Ah, just wait, they'll be a coming :D
    So is that why they are now using an automatic transmission made in France? Better? Is the V6 automatic made in France? Where are those manual transmissions built now?
    -Loren
    I believe that all of the transmissions for the 05 & 06 V6 Mustangs are all built in Germany right now. All 4.0L Ford Mustang transmissions are built in Germany.
    And I think that the current 05 & 06 Mustang GT transmission is still built in the U.S..
  • Kindly note that women are part of this forum and your comment about the preceding model is offensive. It definitely is not as hot as the new one.

However, you are wrong about one thing, the '05/'06 doesn't not scream testosterone. It's a real looker when a woman gets behind the wheel. I should know, mine is screaming yellow with black stripes.
    Statistics say that 65%-75% of the V6 owners are women. And that 85%-90% of the Mustang GT owners are men.
    If my remark was offending to you about the V6 Mustang, I'm sorry. But that's how we men refer to cars that women like to drive. My remark was not intended to offend anyone, especially a woman. I love women.
  • Up until this posting of yours referring to the V6 as a tampon car, I have enjoyed your comments. Kindly note that women are part of this forum and your comments and comparisons are really inappropriate. Please don't tell me that if I don't like it not to participate.

If you don't like the new Mustang don't buy it.

And you are definitly wrong about the comparison of the new Mustang to the old Celica fastback style.
    Oh no, a friend bought an '05 GT and the transmission was made in France. I have seen some on the lot from France, but I don't know if all are made there, including V6. Possibly two sources being used.

Found in the Consumer Reports the 2003 model year as problems for Transmissions. As for the current car, it looks like suspension problems are the biggest thing. Should be something they can resolve. Hopefully just the '05s and the '06 will not have the suspension issues.

MSN Auto site is pretty good at listing the most common problems and the cost to repair them. Consumer Guide is good for that too. I use Edmund's to find JD Powers listing of car reliability going back several years. It is a good source - thanks Edmund's!

I see where the engine is made in Germany. A new 3.5 may be coming in a few years for the Mustang. Better gas mileage and a bit more HP. The current 4.0 has been a good workhorse, I take it. At least I think people prefer it over the old 3.8. Gas mileage is poorer though. So it has a German tranny mated to it - wundervoll. May try out a manual and an automatic the same day to compare the two. Usually, I get manual transmissions, but they keep putting up more stop lights and stop signs every day. Seems like I am wearing out the left leg.
    -Loren
    I think that you are right. The 4.0L V6 Mustang engine is made in Germany and the transmission is made in France. I am pretty sure about the engine being German made. And I think that you are right about the transmission being made in France.
    There is another interesting pkg. now in California. The California Special is said to have the spoiler and stuff, as well as the GT handling pkg. I am thinking that this one may be the best handling due to the V6 being lighter. Well, maybe lighter. A 4.0 is a larger V6. The one I saw on the lot was around $24K though, which is close to the V8 at $26K. But it has all the GT stuff. Now had I bought the California Special original Mustang, I would have something worth a few extra bucks over the average car. But I would not count on that happening this time. Come to think of it, I don't know what people will think of these retro years model cars some twenty years from now.

As for the new tranny, I see the stick is back closer to hand, and not bent. I take it the clutch is lighter, and the gears not too slot on in to. The old one was kinda interesting in a way. An old fashion mechanical feel. But the location of the stick and a heavy clutch gets old fast in stop and go and stop sign land.
    -Loren
This discussion has been closed.