Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Dodge Caliber

Comments

• Options
    caliberchiccaliberchic Member Posts: 402
    I have the 6 disc cd changer upgrade, I don't have any kind of plug in on the front of the stereo what so ever. How dumb is that? The base model has it but not the upgraded one!

Yeah, the picture had to be enlarged at the top of the page to see the effect. The rear tire was off the ground and water was position like it was "peeing".
  • Options
    moonhunt18moonhunt18 Member Posts: 33
    hey..congratulations, cc! I'd like to see your winning pic! is there a link to it ?

thanks!
  • Options
    Image Hosting by PictureTrail.com

Here it is. I was hoping to tip the wheel out a bit but ran out of time to edit. I am glad I won just because I seem to be the only person that did something with a REAL Caliber. :shades: ">
  • Options
    stevenbarbrnstevenbarbrn Member Posts: 5
    Just heard a rumor (from the dealership that I bought "X" from), that the yellow edition RT is no longer going to be made. Those currently in production are it. The dealer said that the yellow RTs are already commanding up to $6000 over list now on eBay motors, although I haven't been able to verify that. We'll wait and see!

PS caliberchic, congrats and great photo!
  • Options
    silvercalibersilvercaliber Member Posts: 30
    :blush: Got in tonight to have engine malfunction light turned off on my Caliber (picked a dealer with extended service department hours). I was told it was an intermittant fault, nothing to do with the car wash and nothing wrong with the car
  • Options
    lexan1965lexan1965 Member Posts: 118
    Hey Caliberchic...how do u like the rain guards on your Caliber? Did u get them from the dealer (mopar parts)? I just don't like the idea of sticking them on my car. Let me know.
  • Options
    habalanchehabalanche Member Posts: 57
    Hi Maybe I can address this isue for you.I have had the rain guards on my 94 Dakota,my 2000 Dakota,and my wifes 2003 Caravan.I have already bought them for the Caliber I ordered (but not yet received) :cry: .I quite simply can't do without them.They are great in hot weather when you want to leave the windows down an inch or two and you don't have to worry about rain or break-ins because no one can see that they are open.The adhesive is really good but if you want to reove them they don't harm the paint.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    :shades: Caliberchic I have a suggestion for starting the the 1.8 l. 5 speed off smoothly without stalling or over revving, just glance at your tach to see what the engine is doing, don't worry about listening to the engine as you said you can only hear it if there is high exhaust noise. This seems to be working for me.
  • Options
    I too didn't really care to stick them directly on the car BUT I wouldn't do with out them so even if they fall off I will replace them and any paint damage they may cause will never show.

Actually though the 3MM tape IS super adhesive but it doesn't stick to paint in a manner that would harm it. As a matter of fact we removed the factory molding on the doors and it was applied with tape just like the rain guards and it rolled off by our finger when pressure was applied.

Oh, we did get them from the Dodge but off of Ebay because they were cheaper. They have a sharp white Dodge logo on them.
  • Options
    I'll have to try that. Thanks!
  • Options
    canuck785canuck785 Member Posts: 160
    yes it will available.

now june 2006...no caliber to be seen anywhere around here..all dealers are sold out!! :( anyone has driven one yet?? or bought one??
  • Options
    Thanks for the response...I've ordered a bug/rock guard, the window/rain guards and some mud flaps for the back.
  • Options
    Thanks CC, I've ordered mine on e-bay also.
  • Options
    My Caliber was manufactured in Feb. '06 and I have not had the exhaust noise yet. However I have noticed a very low pinging noise (not all the time) coming from the engine. I have the 2.0 w CVT and I love it. I just went over 9000 miles on my car also.
  • Options
    calibreathcalibreath Member Posts: 22
    Lex, what kind of mpg are you getting at 9000 miles?
  • Options
    utterutter Member Posts: 79
    Haha, I think that one is funny- although it IS a little hard to notice the thing taking a leak!
    That's a good looking Caliber you have there:)
    I wonder if Dodge has taken notice? That would go well with the current photo line-up and the Binky commercial!
  • Options
    I'm averaging 28.2mpg, sometime closer to 30 mpg. I run my a/c here now so it's staying about 28. I'm waiting for K & N to make an air filter for it also...may help out a few tenths of a mile.
  • Options
    Yeah I know. I was done with about 36 hours to the deadline, on the spure of the moment while I was in a fight with my hubby! I had two kids running around and had my Dad help me position the car since I kept stalling it on that darn hill. :blush:

I thought the concept fell in line with the Dodge ad prints too, that is why I went that route. My other ideas werent so PC. Like the Cali getting a lap dance, a bikini car wash or a Hooters girl photo shoot. Those would have fit right in with the other entries BUT I don't think my in laws would have been so inclined to vote for me! LOL
  • Options
    fmfpjfmfpj Member Posts: 12
    well, i am here 960 mile on the trip. the first tank through the mountains of west va. i got 33mpg and some change. after the mountains i filled up again and i got a amazing 37.8 miles per gallon. Again all I did was change the muffler out because there is no K&N filter yet. But, I am pretty happy with it. I have the 1.8L 5 Speed SXT. :shades: :P
  • Options
    :surprise:
  • Options
    neely2005neely2005 Member Posts: 70
    I'm pretty sure that the 1.8L 5 Speed is only available on the SE not the SXT...
  • Options
    nonnemachernonnemacher Member Posts: 98
    You CAN get the 1.8/5 speed in the SXT - my local dealer has an SXT Sport manual on his lot... too loaded for me.
    Initially, I had argued that 2 mpg was not worth shifting gears for, but it appears the 5 speeds are doing better than 32 on the highway - closer to 35. Now, 5 or 6 mpg makes it worth shifting gears in my opinion, and saving $1100 on the car to begin with...Hmm...I know...
    I'll try to talk my my wife into giving up the Grand Caravan so she can drive the SXT CVT and I'll buy another Caliber SXT with the 5-speed.
    Not that mpg is the only consideration, mind you... our 2002 GC only has 30k on it, but is timed-out of warranty and the looks of the Caliber are nice and the combination of comfort versus handling is right on..... Any suggestions? :D
  • Options
    Umm, I am driving one right now...well not RIGHT now but I have one in my drive way so you are wrong. :P
  • Options
    ;) I'am telling you. I swaped out the muffler and was still doing 70-80, and I got 37.8 mpg. As for the SXT with 5 SPEED,?Yes they do, I have THE 1.8 WITH THE 9 SPEAKER boustin accoutic sound,sunroof, 17 in wheels. I also have a Dodge Ram that increased 5 MPG with a intake and exhaust swap so! The proof is there with every performance gadget on the market. So if you want to listen to caliberchic because she won a photo contest be my guest but the question was there and i answered it. :P
  • Options
    I think the "chic" was saying that the poster saying "no 5-speed on the SXT" was wrong, not that your 37 MPG was wrong. Cool?
  • Options
    :D That's what I like to hear, a two Caliber family.
  • Options
    Let me know what kind of muffler u put on your car, I'd love to get more mpg on my caliber. Send me the web link or web site please.
  • Options
    If that is the case then I make a public apology "I am Sorry" but those are thunumbers i got on the last tank of gas on the trip, I now have to take another trip from st louse to cleveland, oh. I will update again on what i get on the way there. Sorry Caliber chic. :blush:
  • Options
    I put a flowmaster hush power on the caliber I put the 2.5in inlet and outlet. http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/hp2.html

cut and paste the link above. I did not want it to sound like a honda racer or a bee hive so this is what i went with. It has a nice tone and hardly nop resonance in the cab of the car. I went with the 2.5in but a 2.0in would work fine they had to expand the end of the exhaust that comes down the center of the car. and i lost about 30 lbs after REMOVING THE STOCK BIG HUNKA MUFFLER. And when K&N get the fipk or even just a high flow air filter that will help out too. Agin if that is what you ment caliberchic, except my apology, You were one of the owners who keep this forum going. I can add pictures if wanted.. :)
  • Options
    Apology accepted! I was like "What'd I do?!".

I was replying to the poster who replied to your post that said there aren't 5 speeds w/ 1.8 in an SXT.

Sometimes the flow of the forum and it's replies is hard to follow.
  • Options
    My mistake. I re-read the information and it says that the 5 Speed is only available with the 1.8L engine. As soon as you get the 2.0L or the 2.4L engine the CVT is standard and the 5 speed manual is not available.
  • Options
    Did your remove the resonator and muffler and replace it with the hushpower, or just the muffler?
    Do you know if aftermarket exhaust system effects the engine warranty? I've heard stories about folks getting impressive MPG by reducing the back pressure on the engine, but I've also heard that this can burn and damage the exhaust valves rather quickly. I could not find anything on Flowmaster's web site that addressed this.
    Any thoughts?
  • Options
    I've always been told that if you replace Any parts with After Market (Not made by the original manufacturer) Parts it will Void your warranty.
  • Options
    The dealer's have always told me any modification only voids the warranty for that piece/part. This case IE.. Muffler. not a big deal. Same thing if you put a intake on it. Then K&N would take over this warranty if ever needed. I have never heard anything on a muffler burning up exhaust valves. I left the resonator on the car cause it may have been to loud. I like my truck loud but not the "Family Car" Actually a less restrictive muffler/exhaust will help carry HEAT away from the engine. I can post some links on exhaust and mufflers if you would like.
  • Options
    Checked W/my Dodge dealer this morning.I ordered a silver R/T six weeks ago.They said three more weeks to go.Does anyone here have one of the optional rear spoilers?If so how does it look.I ordered my R/T with one as well as every other option except the sunroof and 6 CD player as it doesn't have the aux.input.Thanks to all the people who have been posting.It makes me feel better everday as I read the positive posting that far exceed the negatives.
    The dealership also pointed out that delivery is a little slower because they are trying to resolve any known problems before the newer ones leave the factory.
  • Options
    That's odd, that's not what my dealer told me. They said if it's not a Autopar or Mopar Part then it voids the entire power terrain warranty. I was going to change the exhaust on my Neon but after they told me that I decided not to.

I'd call Chrysler and check for sure before changing out any parts.
    Also Mopar does have performance parts too. Maybe that's the best option?
  • Options
    I'll be getting on of those spoilers, eventually. Problem is my spoiler will have to be painted. For some reason they are painting the orange ones at the factory.

There is a Silver spoiler on Ebay for $200 w/ free shipping. BY FAR the best price I've seen on it.
  • Options
    Wow that's a really good price.I ordered mine installed dealer quote was $320 installed.I thought that was fair considering I'd find a way to scratch up the spoiler or the car if I did it myself.Sometimes paying a little more is worth the peace of mind.Besides the dealer offered $10G for my 2000 Dakota Quadcab.That's almost a thousand over book.Got the vent visors already as well as a 3rd brakelight cover that reads CALIBER R/T.My garage will look like a Mopar parts Dept.by the time I get the car.
  • Options
    Where'd you get the brakelight cover? Do they have just "Caliber"?
  • Options
    Hi I got it on ebay 9.95.The guy can make it say anything you want as long as it isn't obscene.
  • Options
    katiescaliberkatiescaliber Member Posts: 45
    Hi all,

I haven't been around in a while. I just wanted to let everyone know that my car is FINALLY on its way. I ordered a Marine Blue SXT (with sunroof, musicgate, wheels, foglights) on April 19th. It didn't get built until 8 weeks later and then it shipped on Tuesday. Currently it is on the train to Delaware!

The sucky part is that it arrives at the rail station on the 29th, but then the estimated delivery by truck to my dealer isn't until July 9th!! That is upsetting to me because the rail station is only 45 minutes away. The dealer said he will do all he can to get it to me sooner, but I'm not hopeful.
  • Options
    I did get my tire repaired in downtown Indy - $16 for taking it off and patching it from the inside and putting everything back together. Rides perfect.

MPG for the trip was 31 mpg with the 2.0 CVT. 436 miles total on 14.0 gallons of 87 octane. The trip was lots of driving at 55-60 mph and some driving at 70-73 mph. I'd like to check the mpg on straight 65 mph run sometime.

I really think the CVT works well, but sometimes it appears to be too quick to reduce the ratio and increase the rpm with the cruise on. With the cruise set at 72 MPH, for example, I was running rpm anywhere from 2200 to 3000, depending on the angle of the road, wind, etc. This will certainly prolong the life of the engine as its never being "lugged down" and it always spinning pretty well, but I still have to think that if the rpm was at 2500, you would be getting better mpg than at 3000 rpm.

All that said, I can easily believe folks are getting 35+ mpg highway with the 5 speed, since I got 31 under what I consider to be "less than ideal" conditions.

On the way home, I drove for about 35 miles at 35 mph through unbelievable rain and lightning - I could always see the road because the sky was almost constantly lit up. Some truckers were stopped others just slowed down. Lots of water on the road in places - I'm glad I did not have the spare on for that. This car is really watertight - I had the wipers going full speed and the car was covered in water the whole time, with no leaks whatsoever. Nice! Its weird driving like that - all you can hear is the rain and thunder - no engine noise, no road niose, no fan noise, occassionally water gushing against the car.

By the way, putting the 17" tire in the back does create a bit of a mess, since it will NOT fit in the spot for the spare, but it cleaned up pretty well today.

:)
  • Options
    Ah good ole Ebay.
  • Options
    I hear you. The anticipation grows when you learn that the car you ordered has been built (ie. is actually in existence) and you're waiting for delivery.
  • Options
    tigger4848tigger4848 Member Posts: 3
    I had the same problem. Union people drive the transport trucks that deliveries the vehicles to the dealers. The dealers can not do anything and if they say they can they are telling you a lie. Just wait for the calibar you ordered, that is all you or the dealer can do. By the why I have a sunburst orange pearl SXT model with fog lights and 17" alloy wheels and all power inside, with automtic trans. I had to wait for 5 weeks just for the color alone. Boy was I glad to get mine after the long wait, just for the color I wanted.
  • Options

• Options
    Nice pics cc...!
  • Options
    Nice pics cc...! Have u looked at mine on carspace yet?
  • Options
    I'd like to see some links on muffler info...I'm considering buying a 60 series flowmaster for my caliber.
  • Options
    Just did:)

Your's is Orange too right? I hate how my car photographs more red than Orange. I have tried several different lightings and still no dice.
This discussion has been closed.