Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Commander

Comments

• Options
    rshollandrsholland Member Posts: 19,788
    Many SUVs are now offering 3rd-row seating, and most are poor to miserable in terms of comfort. I sat in the Commander's 3rd-row seat at the NY auto show, and have to say it was probably the worst 3rd-row seat I've ever sat in.

It's a real shame, as I like the rest of the Commander a lot.

Bob
  • Options
    homestarmanhomestarman Member Posts: 17
    John,(sorry for so many things)

I just have a concern about the seats:It looked like the 3rd row can`t seat adults. If this is true the land rover will get my $$$$$
  • Options
    chrisducatichrisducati Member Posts: 394
    While the third row may be a selling point to some it is the styling that sells me on the Commander. I would pick it over the GC even if it did not have jump seats in the back. I can see the problem for people that want to carry adults. There is basically no foot room in the third row. The bottom of the seat cushion is just a few inches off the floor.
  • Options
    sum41sum41 Member Posts: 1
    The problem is many SUVs offer 3rd row seats, but few of them are truly comfortable.

Comfortable 3rd row seats are only in full size rigs like the Armada/QX56, Expedition/Navigator, Yukon/Tahoe/Escalade, Suburban and Yukon XL.

All the Explorers, 4 Runners, Tribecas, Envoys and Trailblazers that have 3rd row seats are only suitable for young children.

I don't think the Commander should be penalized for lack of a comfortable 3rd row seat. It still has many strong selling points. It's competition dont have very nice 3rd rows either. In midsize SUVs third row seats are only good for young children, and in full size SUVs adults and young adults will probably be comfortable.
  • Options
    prod1prod1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and I are holding back on an suv, because of the release of the commander... We may get another car if the commander is too expensive...
    Is this information legite and if so where did you get it... No on will cave in and tell me how much they are going to sell for????
  • Options
    crookstercrookster Member Posts: 40
    All info is legit. Go to xkjeeps.com
  • Options
    o even a ford ecoline is adaquate in the back for adults(4th row)
  • Options
    johndodgejohndodge Member Posts: 25
    Homestarman,

No need to apologize, that’s what I’m here for :) ! I really wish I could comment from personal experience, but I have yet to actually climb inside the new Jeep Commander and get a feel for the 3rd row and the space available there. The only thing I can really recommend is waiting for the Commander to hit dealerships and see if it fits your needs in person. The Commander is expected to be in dealerships in fall. Sorry I couldn’t really offer you more insight.

Thanks,

John B.
  • Options
    reholmesreholmes Member Posts: 8
    An over-sized tire option could solve some of the clearance problems. It would also help the approach, break-over, and departure angles. The H3 has superior statistics in that regard, but really needs more power. However, the H3 is probably going to be Jeep's off-highway competition because of good clearance characteristics.

The Wrangler has had wheel options for years, and for those who really want to use it like it was intended, its nice to know your warranties are still valid and the speedometer is correct.
  • Options
    John,

I am concerned that this car doesn`t have enough space for an adult in the 3rd row and it is a little short and needs 1 inch of added height :confuse:
  • Options
    Homestarman,

As I stated before, I would wait until the Jeep Commander hits dealerships before you pass judgment. You may find that it meets your needs. I know I’m looking forward to jumping into one. I don’t know where you are located, but there are still a few Camp Jeep On The Road events taking place this year. The locations of the remaining events are: Houston, TX; San Diego, CA and Denver, CO. You can’t test drive the Commander, but it is being showcased. Hope this helps!

John B.
  • Options
    jeepxjjeepxj Member Posts: 1
    I have owned two jeeps in the past, currently I own a XJ and am considering the the Hummer H3. If jeep would put bigger tires and increase the ground clearance of the commander I would buy it.
  • Options
    3rdgin3rdgin Member Posts: 22
    john,

From what I've read, production has already started on the Commander. When do you expect it to it the dealer floors, specifically the Limited? We were considering the LR3 but it has too many problems and the Commander could very well suit our needs.
  • Options
    Thanks for the input jeepxj,

We here at the Jeep Information Center do appreciate customer feedback, so I have logged your comments. I can’t say for certain whether or not bigger tires will be offered on the Jeep Commander in the future, but as I said Jeep does try to cater to it’s customer’s wants and needs.

Thanks again,

John B.
  • Options
    3rdgin,

Yes, the Jeep Commander is currently in production. A specific date hasn’t been released as to when the Commander will be at dealerships though. The only timeframe that has been released is fall sometime. What I would suggest is contacting your local Jeep dealership and advise them of your interest in the Commander. Most dealerships are more than happy to provide you with updates, and know in advance what cars they’re going to be receiving and when. Both the base and limited models should be available at the same time. Once you get a chance to look at the Commander please feel free to let me know what you think. I’d appreciate your feedback!

Enjoy,

John B.
  • Options
    milo4milo4 Member Posts: 5
    Have you been keeping up with the 2005 JGC problems with water in the transmission? It's occurring primarily on the 3.7 liters and mine was one of them with only 600 miles on it. My dealership was very responsive, proactive and honest in dealing with the situation.....well deserving of the five star rating.

They flushed the tran 3 times, sealed the base of the tran dip stick and basically did every thing Chrysler told them to do. I picked it up yesterday after 5 days and so far so good. Others have not been as fortunate. The culprit I am told was most likely the AC draining on to the base of the tran dip stick, pooling and then leaking in because of a poor seal. I looked under my JGC last night and confirmed that the AC was draining directly on to the base of the tran dip stick, which has now been sealed with RTV sealer. My second question is this - Does Chrysler have any plans to recall in order to reseal these transmissions and redirect the AC drainage? The redirection seems very easy to do.
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    This new Jeep has just been driven in the UK, in its not a full test but more of a sort of preview.
    Go here to see it:
    http://www.channel4.com/4car/road-tests/driving-impressions-2005/J/jeep-commander-06/comma- nder-06.html
    Not yet read it! Just about to!
    Everyone say what they think and if they think it will do well in the states!
    I dont think it will here in the UK but only time will tell wont it....
  • Options
    jamessahaljamessahal Member Posts: 55
    Just looking at the gallery of it!!
    HOW UGLY CAN THIS CAR BE BOTH INSIDE AND OUT!??!
    I'm sort of a Jeep fan! I like what is our Cherkee (renamed your Liberty) and i like the new Grand Cherokee too, i like there styling and think their attractive in their own ways. But this!? This is one of the most awful cars inside, totally unattractive with an ugly, boring, boxy shape on the outside too!
  • Options
    forzaforza Member Posts: 36
    "This is one of the most awful cars inside, totally unattractive with an ugly, boring, boxy shape on the outside too!"

You really don't understand, do you?

That so called ugly, boring boxy shape is what is going to make this vehicle sell. Hummers are some of the best off road vehicles available, and each is tall and boxy. That tall and boxy style is what makes Hummers actually sell.

That tall and boxy look is commanding and imposing, and that's what Jeep buyers want from Jeep. The Liberty and Grand Cherokee are good off road vehicles, no question. Yet the Commander is the flagship of the lineup, so Jeep wants it to present a tough, rugged, imposing presence. They want to stand out in a good way. Jeep does not want the Commander to go unnoticed like every other Explorer/Trailblazer/4Runner.

And please tell me - what the heck is so bad about the interior? It's nothing to be ashamed, just an average midsize SUV. IMO, it looks better than most SUVs interiors. Just look at a Trailblazer's interior, and compared to it the Commander's dash looks like it was lifted off a luxury car.

If you really want to knock an ugly SUV, then criticize the BMW X3 for those fugly taillamps and the cheap looking black bumpers.

But anyway, thanks a lot for posting that link. Those pictures are great, in angles I've never seen before. The Commander looks better than ever.
  • Options
    3rdgin3rdgin Member Posts: 22
    From what I have been reading on the new Discovery (LR3), I would rather have a tall and boxy SUV that runs than the LR3 that stays in the shop with a multitude of problems. I was on the verge of buying one but decided to wait. Glad I did with all the problems that they are having. I will give the LR3 credit in styling but it's interior looks cheap and the back end is butt ugly.
  • Options
    bavarianboybavarianboy Member Posts: 3
    Hello: Like you, I am interested in the Commander and I am also interested in the Discovery 3. I am an American in Germany that is returning to the States, so I have to have US specs. Both are certainly boxes, but the Commander is at least 20% cheaper than the LR. I have owned LRs before and I have driven the 3 at Sulihull. As a Brit car guy, which would you get for real harsh mountain driving. Remember that there are not a lot of LR dealers outside of very large metropolitan areas. Thanks, Mike
  • Options
    private2private2 Member Posts: 3
    I need to decide between a loaded MDX and a loaded Commander. I am looking for advantages and disadvantages of each one, as well as your recommendations.

I live in the northwest (lots of rain), drive short distance to my work, and like to go hiking during the weekend days and to the theater during the weekend nights. I have big friends with kids so I am looking for interior comfort. I also like cars so I am looking for acceleration and power.

I like the commander for its ruggedness; I like the MDX for its elegance.

Let me know what you recommend.
  • Options
    jdeibjdeib Member Posts: 70
    My wife and I stopped at a big Jeep dealership in Greensburg PA(Suburban Pittsburgh) tonight and they had a new Commander. It was not heavily optioned up. It stickered for a little over $30,000, but nicely equipped for that amount. My impressions:

1. The interior was very impressive. The materials still included alot of plastic, but it looked to be of a nice quality. The layout is equally impressive. It manages to balance ergonomics with a unique style.

2. Size: It's big, but it's no Suburban (or Tahoe for that matter) It fits in well with the Durango, Honda Pilot, Acura MDX.

3. Style: Just like the current Grand Cherokee, it looks better in person than in pictures. There is no doubt that it is a jeep. The upright windshield is interesting, very H2. But I'm not sure I'd ever want to own ANYTHING that is Hummer derivative. ;) It really looks like the old Cherokee, which is I have to say a good thing. It also has small styling nods to the Grand Wagoneer, which is also good.

I really do like it. However, I'm not a Jeep enthusiast, I'm a Toyota enthusiast. (I custom ordered my Camry, how sick is that?) But I married a Jeep person. (She has a 04 Grand Cherokee and had a 96 Cherokee Classic prior to that) She is the person they were aiming at. What did she think? She was so excited to get a closer look that she almost drove my custom ordered Camry into the side of the dealership. If she is any indication, the Jeep people will LOVE it. (And by association so will their significant others) But I have to tell you, I'm not sure how the non-Jeep faithful will react. My guess is that it will be like the Chrysler 300: A polarizing design. You'll love it enough to buy one, or hate it enough to make snide comments about it every time you see one.

Hope this helps.

Jayme
  • Options
    jeepxkjeepxk Member Posts: 8
    I drove a Commander Saturday and loved it! Of course, being a Jeep nut, it wasn't hard to impress me as I was very excited about this vehicle when I first saw pictures of it. It looks great in white. It was very large looking but it isn't large or any larger than a Grand Cherokee. I love the boxyness of it and the total Jeep feel. The upright windshield does remind me of the current line of Hummers but Jeep didn't steel that idea from them of course.
    I would like to buy one with a V6 and I am currently driving a 2000 Grand Cherokee with a V8. I noticed a real difference in power but with gas prices and that fact I don't tow am hoping that I don't need a V8. What is others opion on the V6 in the 2005 Grand Cherokee? Similiar size vehicle and weight. Do people find the V6 sufficent?
  • Options
    dakotatycoondakotatycoon Member Posts: 2
    Jeepxk;
    If you really want to get better mileage go to europe. You can buy one there with a diesel engine. It irritates me that the best fuel economy options aren't made available in the USA. :mad: Send jeep an email asking- Why? :confuse:
    Oh, and the dirty diesel argument won't wash either. :P Biodiesel is available now. All road diesel will be ULSD by june of 2006. Some is available now. ;) I know that the Cenex- Laurel, Montana refinery refit is under way. Completion date,??? Scheduled for late Sept. early Oct. of 2005. :surprise:
  • Options
    tierraverdetierraverde Member Posts: 1
    I drove the Commander earlier this week, and was pleasantly surprised by the smoothness of it. My Fiance is the one who is all over the Jeeps, but I had a Grand Cherokee Limited a few years back and enjoyed it, this was better. It felt like what I suspect a Hummer feels like, but it was very quiet inside as I noticed on the doors two sets of rubber gaskets that were spaced apart from one another, I think that really added to the interior silence. The third row as expected is largely useless for anyone 6 feet tall, but the stadium seating was kind of neat, every successive row a touch higher than the last. The one I drove was a V6, 3.7, and I floored it, it did not take off like my M5 but then again, if it did, I would have probably had real issues. I felt the power was fine. The seats were cloth, if you are into leather, I can't help you, my dealer had only 1 Commander. It was a nice vehicle overall, and if we were not in a car market where everything is reduced in price, I might go for this. In the article that led me to this forum, it mentioned that Commander comes out with a 1500$ rebate, that was nowhere to be found9as expected), I suppose I could have asked but if I had to choose between a Tahoe for 30 and Commander for 30, I might have a problem. My fiance wants Commander badly, but if I could get something even bigger and maybe not as stylish for basically the same money, why not go bigger??? In the end, my fiance will get her way and this will be her vehicle, she almost cried when we left the dealership after driving it, and NOT buying it right then. For Jeep purists who think that grand cherokee is no longer so grand(they cut it off at the knees and made it too short), this will be nirvana.
  • Options
    spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Hey Commander-fans!

I just saw my first one on the road today, and I'm pretty sure that it wasn't a test mule. There was no 'M' in the middle of the license plate.

The reason I mention that is because both of the front doors on this example had weird panel deformations in the flat section beneath the door handles. These weren't small door dings from other cars.... they were definitely uniform factory panel deformations.

So any Commander buyers out there... be alert to this possible problem on your potential purchase when you test drive it. The best way to see it (from my experience this morning) is to stand to the side of the vehicle a few steps and behind it about half a car length. You may have to crouch down, since I was sitting in my car when I noticed it.

Since both front doors exhibited this phenomenon, I suspect that there may be some early production stamping or weld distortion issues showing up.

-SM
  • Options
    Its funny that you mention that issue with the Commander doors. We looked at a Commander and I noticed what looked to be a small dent in the front passenger fender by the turn single light. I don't know if it was a factory problem or a dent that happened during delivery.
    Still want one though.
  • Options
    fitguyfitguy Member Posts: 220
    I have to profess my ignorance- didn't know the Commander existed until today after seeing on the homepage. Read all the posts here- the styling is certainly polarizing- love it or hate it. I almost bought a '97 Cherokee, really liked the simple lines; ended up with an Explorer instead. Now have a 2000 Expy we would like to replace, but with sudden gas horror show have waited. I do like the styling of the Commander, very much like a grown-up Cherokee, but after reading about the skimpy 3rd row seat I have to question why Jeep did't go the extra mile and try to capture all the Expy/Suburban/Yukon owners who would like something different. After having a 3rd row seat that really fits adults, it's hard to consider giving up that feature. And to not offer a deisel option in light of the gas situation is just plain short-sighted. I've driven the new Pathfinder, it is a joke. The Armada seems to have build quality issues. The Pilot- better, but not set up to tow, and really can't be. Which for us leaves another Ford (really don't want one), the Durango (not crazy about the looks) or GM products (would never buy one, even with the deep discounts). Sequoia or even 4 Runner would be ideal but for one fatal flaw: the 3rd row seats don't fold down, must be removed. If Jeep had just done a little more market research, they would have a potential winner for a lot of full-size SUV owners looking at replacement in a dying market.
  • Options
    That last line, "they would have a potential winner for a lot of full-size SUV owners looking at replacement in a dying market." you answer your own question.

I am glad Jeep didn't create a new vehicle off a full size platform. Can you imagine releasing a all new full size SUV this fall? It will be tough enough for the Commander let alone a large gas guzzling SUV with gas prices over $3. GM is banking on there new redesigned full size trucks and SUV's to pull them out of trouble next year. What a joke, sure there will be always a market for some of the larger SUV's but the masses that were buying them the last few years because that was the "in" car will be looking at downsizing on there next purchase. I think Jeep was smart not making the Commander any bigger.
  • Options
    pjd1pjd1 Member Posts: 13
    (This message is for John Dodge in particular)
    I own a '04 Land Rover Discovery and my wife drives a '02 Liberty...
    Both have nice flat rear load floors... Great, if you have to move heavy objects around.

Since LR raised the base price price on the Discovery replacement to over 45K,
    I have been eagerly awaiting the arrival of the Commander as a possible replacement choice...

Since I drive a Disco and have owned Cherokees in the past, I am not troubled by the Commander's boxy shape... The front seats seemed comfortable and and there was plenty of room upfront, (although the dash was undistinguished and not as good looking as the Liberty's).

Be that as it may, I then went round to the rear hatch and was mightily disappointed....Jeep seems to have forgotten the "Utility" part of the SUV.
    The way the rear seats are configured, you lose 4-5 inches of loadspace height.
    as well as adding 4-5 inches to the tailgate liftover... Also, there didn't seem to be any way to easily remove the seats and obtain a flat load floor. The dealer didn't think that the Commander was even available without the 3rd row seats...

This may be fine for moving the kid's soccer team around, but it's useless if you are moving cargo of any size, or weight... Any hope for a fix for this careless design oversight? (Also, a deisel model would be a great option.)
    Thanks,
    PJD in NH
  • Options
    I have to agree with you regarding the liftover height. I think the overall opening into the back is the same as the GC since they "raised the roof" on the Commander. I was going to take a tape and measure the opening of each to compare. Even if you lose a couple of inches I still love the Commander.
    If you look at the 2nd row of seats to see that they raised them for stadium seating you can understand why they had to design the 3rd row the way they did. I think other than the liftover it should be about the same as the GC plus you do gain some space as a result of the upright window and the extra 2" of length.
  • Options
    nmertznmertz Member Posts: 27
    "We here at the Jeep Information Center do appreciate customer feedback"

John, I realize this is a Commander discussion, but I wonder if you any anyone else at Jeep hangs out in the Gladiator forum. If Chrysler really values consumer feedback, they ought be listening to what folks are saying about the Gladiator concept; i.e., it's time we had a diesel-powered pickup that isn't as big as a locomotive! Check us out and pass our comments along.
  • Options
    Shopping the lots over the weekend our local Jeep dealer had a bunch of Commanders. Looked at it from all angles- in person it just doesn't do it for me, the boxy windows and proportions look mishapen. Too bad- the size is about right and the interior ok, although very angular in true Jeep fashion. Couldn't get beyond the visual enough to take a test drive however; ended up leasing a new Explorer. I just don't know if there are enough Jeep loyalists out there to really make the Commander a success- I don't think it will have great appeal to owners of other SUV brands. Just my .02, of course.
  • Options
    josephus1josephus1 Member Posts: 5
    JohnDodge,
    Is there any possibilty the Commander going to be offered with diesel option?
    To move that kind of vehicle properly it would have to be the Euro 3.0L CRD V6.
    Please pass this message along to DCx:
    US customers are waking up to rising fuel costs, and we are ready for diesels and hybrids.
  • Options
    I hope the Commander is a success but not to much of one. I would rather not see 20 of them in the mall parking lot like the Explorer's and Tahoe's. The Commander will appeal to Jeep loyalists looking for that "Jeep" style. Have fun with your Explorer "Its a Jeep thing, you don't understand"
  • Options
    I think I understand- kind of like a "Saab Thing": quirky vehicle with a limited following.
  • Options
    Ya, kind of like that.
    The funny thing is my wife has a SAAB.
    I guess were kind of "quirky" people.
  • Options
    blkhemiblkhemi Member Posts: 1,717
    The Jeep Commander brings back the square shouldered look of the beloved Cherokee (84-01). It just looks down right brawny. I test drove one today, and must admit with exception of the increased seat postion height, it drives much like an '05 Grand Cherokee. Maybe it's because it's on the same chassis as the Grand Cherokee. DC must've received some major flack from us classic Cherokee lovers because the Commander looks like one streched and pulled As with any third seat this side of a Surbuban/Expedition/Armada/Sequoia ?Durango, it's pretty much useless except for children. And somehow, Jeep managed to keep all of the functionality and character of the Grand Cherokee in tact. And for the money, its a great buy. Actually, I bought a JGC fully loaded for about $43,500. The Commander that I'm looking at is 40grand and some change. All with same options as my JGC. The Commander's interior is more ritzy than the JGC with more bling-bling. I have shopped the competition and I will be buying my Commander tomorrow. It's a Jeep thang. You wouldn't understand
  • Options
    You paid $43,500 for a Grand Cherokee! Man, you should of shopped around as you can buy a $44G 2006 Overland right now on EBay for around $37,000.
    A 2006 Commander can already be had for thousands less that MRSP.
    Shop around!
  • Options
    My JGC was a custom factory order with options that you can't get at the dealer. It has a 3" lift with 18" wheels among other goodies. I did this for warranty purposes. The Commander that I just bought this morning was a fully tricked out "regular" version. It stickered for a smidge over $44 grand. DC ended up cutting me a $4200 check because my JGC only had 3400 miles on it and I was not taking less than $38000 for it. DC just cut the prices of the Commander plus with all of their incentives that they gave me, it was worth it. I told them that my Jeep wouldn't be on your lot for a day. Sure enough as they took it to the back to get prepped up and brought out and put it on the rack, someone bought it for $42k. It's funny how dealers work isn't it? So to answer your question, I beat them at their own game!
  • Options
    I didn't know you could order a 3" lift and larger wheels straight from the factory??
  • Options
    Yeah you can. I was informed by my local Mopar rep about two years ago about it. Not only can you get suspension and wheel/tire upgrades, but there is a host of electronics and engine upgrades available. I looked at it as DC cashing in on the aftermarket billions of dollars that it generates every year. I looked into, and turns out that I saved $700 over what I would've paid my local suspension shop to do the work. All with a factory warranty. You gotta love it. I don't know if you are a Wrangler lover or not, but DC had one on display at this year's SEMA and every upgrade on it was done at the factory and I must say that it looked like something that Stacey would do on Spike TV's Trucks show. Problem with factory is that you must come ready to buy. DC promises that all of their models will be available from factory special order.
  • Options
    marsha7marsha7 Member Posts: 3,703
    Just what, if I may ask, is "bling-bling"?????????????... :D;) :shades:
  • Options
    Bling-Bling is , at least this is what my son told me, something that is overly shiny or overly styled.(ie: My neighbor across the street from me has a 2000 Cadillac Deville. The standard grille on the car was already shiny enough. But no. He had to put a GOLD grille on the front of that fancy ride. BLING-BLING)
  • Options
    dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    Is the 3" lift the highest the factory will go? Are the upgrades listed on the build sheet?
  • Options
    I believe 3" is the highest they'll go on the JGC and Liberty. The Wrangler I saw at the plant was 5". Not for sure if they are listed on the build sheet.
  • Options
    dlcleavksdlcleavks Member Posts: 20
    Ok, thanks for the info.
  • Options
    sfortnumsfortnum Member Posts: 1
    I just received the detailed pricing info etc on the Commander from my dealer. I have owned three of the classic cherokees and switched to a Dakota Quad cab in 2003. While the Dakota is okay I miss driving a Jeep.

My main reason for getting a Dakota over anything elese including the Grand Cherokee, was the availability of an upgraded leather interior with a manual tansmission. Grands used to have 5 speeds in the early 90s but they were dropped. Why has Jeep forsaken the 5 speed drivers?

If the Commander had a manual I would dump my Dakota tomorrow.
  • Options
    borchone1borchone1 Member Posts: 14
    In the market for a new SUV. Wanting to trade my Bravada in and today drove a Commander, H3 and Envoy. H3 won hands down, but Commander was a close second. Envoy is nice but just a old mans SUV. All will get about 18 to 20 MPG. All about $30 to 35. equipped nice. Envoy dealer still has new 04s on his lot and alot of 05s even after the employee pricing. What does that say. Commander offers a $1500 rebate and $500 Vets rebate. H3 is pretty much sticker and dealer has 80 on his lot. A H3 with Auto and 33' tire off road package is about $33,000. He knows he has a tough looking product and at this point doesn't have to give it away. Anyone looking at the Commander, test a Hummer H3. I've got a Rubicon and will keep it until death do us part and have been a Jeep man since 1985, but that H3 is sweet and really stands out.