Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda Miata Problems and Solutions

Comments

• kymikekymike Posts: 115
    Just tell them to break the lock nuts off and replace with standard lug nuts. You will be charged a small labor fee to remove and then for the cost of replacement nuts. No other choices here that I see.
  • ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Check in the glove box, the center console, and all around the trunk. It's probably in there somewhere.

The previous owner would have been foolish not to have it in the car somewhere - if so he could not have changed a flat!

-juice
  • Well, my 1999 will not start. :sick: It only makes a wherrrling sound and will not turn over. Does not seem like it is the battery but I could be wrong. So, if it is the starter, just how hard is that to replace? I am a novice when it come to the mechanical side of the car, more theory knowledge than actual experience. Is this better left to the dealer to do or do I have a chance. Or, could it be something totally different?

Any and all help is appreciated.
    I would ask for a local indy mechanic reference from a family member or friend, particularly one that owns a Mazda.

We found that Mazda OE parts were pretty pricey, so our bills for the old 626 piled up quick. Wife had all the work done at Gaithersburg Mazda.

I work on the Miata myself, though.

-juice
  • I have a 93 Madza Miata, my first problem has happened. It over heated, after checking I found the fan was not working. MY Question is at 120,000 miles I'm I going to start having more and more problems with switches, electrical, etc. I really do not want a car that is going to be come a money pit. So is there more to come.
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright CaliforniaPosts: 45,331
    Well any car in the world will start to exhibit a certain reasonable amount of failure of "expendables" -- supsension parts wear out, belts and hoses get old, cooling systems corrode, etc.

As your car ages, you have to step UP the maintenance, and not just sit back and cross your fingers.

For instance, if you haven't done any of these recently on your Miata, get to it:

spark plug wires
    check all drive belts and hoses
    flush cooling system
    flush brake system and clutch hydraulics
    inspect front suspension for wear (alignment shop can do this).
    Inspect for coolant and oil leaks

How old is your battery?

AAA tow truck drivers report that most breakdowns are from very minor items that are overlooked in normal maintenance.

MODERATOR --Need help with anything? Click on my name!

120k miles and 13 years is a lot!

spark plug wires - absolutely, stock lasts 30k
    check all drive belts and hoses - replace worn ones
    flush cooling system
    flush brake system and clutch hydraulics - clutch uses same fluid
    inspect front suspension for wear (alignment shop can do this) - consider shocks if it rebounds more than once
    Inspect for coolant and oil leaks

I'd add a few:

* transmission oil (75w90)
    * rear differential oil (75w90)
    * fuel filter
    * PCV Valve
    * O2 Sensor

This is in addition to the usual stuff, oil change, air filter, things like that.

I did most of that when I bought my '93 at 28k miles, and I'm about to do it all again now when I hit 60k.

It's not so much my mileage, it's the age, on mine.

I did not spend that much to do myself, FWIW. I don't think it cost me $200 even, less than half of one car payment.

-juice
  • Eric -

You would be my absolute hero; my knight in shining armour if you had any idea how to do this on a 1992 Mazda 929. I recently replaced the battery, and I even know the code, but for some reason "Err" stays up, and I was told to shell out $85 dollars at the dealership. It's the factory radio/cassette/cd changer combo. I'm having another problem with the radio, but as for right now I can't even operate it. Please, please, if you have any idea how to do the same thing you noted here back in October on a 1992 Mazda 929, you'd be the love of my life - or at least my hero.

Cheers,

Inez
    Must be some kind of radio security code.

When you connect the battery on my Forester, I have to lock and unlock the doors with my keyless several times before the lights stop flashing. Must be something similar with your alarm?

Just a guess.

-juice
  • erics6erics6 Posts: 684
    Sorry. Miata.net is for Miatas. Could try the procedure listed there. Don't know if the 929 had the same radio manufacture. I would guess they did, but the procedure may be different. There isn't much internet support for 929's. If that doesn't work, I'd try an idependent mechanic you trust, or is recommended by someone you trust. Someone who can access the Mazda's technical information.

On my P5 when I changed the battery, I had to use the keyless alarm to lock and unlock before the car would start. The radio worked fine though... well, I had to reset the presets.
  • Yeah, it doesn't work because the procedure listed there includes the pressing of a "clock" button, which my system doesn't have. Thanks anyway. Unfortunately I live in South Central L.A., going to school, where mechanics who will tell you they can fix anything are a dime a dozen - in the end you're out $50 or $100 bucks and the problem still isn't fixed.
  • I have a 2004 MX5 Mazdaspeed and the left rear wheel squeaks loudly (brakes or no brakes) The dealership is telling me that they hear the noise on all 4 wheels and can't find anything wrong. They say it must be the tires that are squeaking because when they put it up on the rack it stops. I was born at night but not last night. I called Toyo and they agreed that it can't be the tires. Has anybody experienced this problem?
    Are the pads glazed? You can scuff them if they are, but make sure the parking brake is set approriately or it might happen again.

I just did the rear pads on my '93, there was an adjustment screw to release the rear parking brake and then adjust it. Not sure if it's still used for the '04s, but my money's on that being the issue if it still works that way.

-juice
  • I'm looking to purchase a 2004 mazdaspeed mx5 and was looking to get some feedback from present owners. also am wondering why they did not come with cruise control and is there any problem installing an aftermarket cruise control ,, any advise would be greatly appreciated..JRsax
  • I own a 1991 Miata and a couple of weeks ago I began having problems getting the stick into gear. It seemed that it happened only after it had sat a a day or so without driving?? Once I got it into gear and going for the day, it wouldn't happen again until the next morning or a few mornings after when I really had to force the stick into position. My brother told me to pump the clutch a couple of times and then put it in gear and that worked for while. I now have a bigger problem. This morning trying to get it into gear and it absolutely would not go as long as the motor was started. I checked the clutch fluid reservoir and it is full. Is there anything else I can check? Without starting the car the gears shift fine and I don't understand that. The clutch is way too easy. One of these days I will learn how to fix my own cars. :) Thanks for you help. Kim
    Could be a leaky clutch slave cylinder. I had one, but my fluid level went down, and you said yours hasn't. Still, any kind of leak in the system would give you a spongy pedal and possibly make it hard to get in gear.

You might just have a worn out clutch, though. It's 15 years old now. That's probably it.

-juice
  • I have the exact same problem. The only other problem is that I'm broke. Any low cost solutions that I might try? The fluid is all good but the car is still rebelling. :sick:
  • 35k miles on a 2004 MazdaSpeed in 8 months driving ;) (race boats, cars, motorcycels, jetskis) Hi All, Regular fuel is okay if you don't floor it under 4000 rpm. :P Stress on the fuel will cause knocking with cheap gas. :sick: Above 5000 rpm driving I would not use cheap fuel. So... if you drive soft, cheap fuel is okay :blush: . If you drive agressively, spend the extra 10-20 cents per gallon! It's better than "damaged" pistons or valves! We have 16 valves to damage you know! :P
  • John the Repo Investor/Paralegal here! 36k miles/8 months 04-MazdaSpeed turbo all over Ca Or Canada Wa Nv Az Nm Tx La Mi Al Fl buying Hurricane real estate. Fantastic car! Beats my Motorcycle on turns and safety! 30+mpg with WalMart Syn Changes/3k Miles! 32k=FalkenTires@27psi! Added: ALARM, CLUBLOCK, TRAILER HITCH4BIKE, RADAR, GPS, CELL PLUG, AA-batteryCHARGER, 3PLUG=12V=Adapter, 120V=inverter, 3lb Sony Viao Notebook, HP4215 4In1(color printer, fax, Color scanner, Color Copier) 4lbs, solar 12v trickle charger. Have 100,000 mile extended warranty($1500). No complaints except "cruze"!! Right foot does get "stiff" after 2-3hours! Did tighten drivers door window motor/parts(warranty). Give this car a 90% Smile! :)
    Sounds cool. Got any pics on-line somewhere?

-juice
  • I have the same problem-creaky left front brake. What type of lube did you use?
  • Water pools in the drain of my new miata and I get soaked every time I open the door when it is raining. The dealer says ALL miatas do this. A drip is understandable, but this is like a bucket of water is dumped on me. Anyone else have this problem?
    What do you mean drain. The top? It's a convertible. Usually the weight of a person getting in or out causes some water to drip. There's no real gutter, just a seam along the edge. If there's a lot of standing water on the top I just use my hands to wipe it off before I open the door.
  • Thanks, but it's mainly a problem when I'm seated in the car and opening the door to get out. I get a bunch of water dumped on me. If I'm getting in, there's no visible water standing on the roof but,when I open the door it comes pouring down (from somewhere). Have you heard of any others that do that? I'm wondering if I have an ill-fitting roof.
    Not really a problem for me. Pouring down sounds like a lot of water. Don't know what would cause that. You might google miata.net for more information.
  • Hi all, I am new to this discussion because I just got my 97 Miata yesterday, the basic model with manual everything. The car has 140,000 km on it, which is not bad. I do have some questions about the car though.

1) When I'm driving at around 90km, rpm is around 3000. Is that normal? And I feel I always have to shift at around 3500rpm in order to catch up with others.

2) Does the car run on regular fuel?

3) When I got my car yesterday, I broke the right rearview mirror while trying to adjust it. Found out the joint inside is entirely rusted. Any cheap solutions for that problem? The part is around $170 at a Mazda dealer, but I wonder if it's difficult to install. If I need to get the dealer to fix it it would cost another 80 bucks.

All else seems fine. The car is basically rust-free except the little spot at the edge of the trunk lid. The engine runs great but I am not sure if the high revs are normal.

When I bought the car, the rear plastic window was cracked about the size of an apple. Luckily the seller was kind enough to bring it to a shop to fix it for me for 230 dollars. Now it's like new.

Oh by the way, the only complaint is that I can't find any cupholders in the car!???
    1. Yes, gearing is short to compensate somewhat for the low torque from the engine.

2. Regular, they only started recommending premium in '99 or '00.

3. I would try to source one from the local junk yard.

Cup holders came in an insert that rested on top of the middle console, at least on my '93. They're horrible anyway. Shop Griot's Garage for some better ones.

-juice
    miata.net has various cupholder options. rpm sound fine. Rev the HECK out of it. That's what it's meant for. Zoom zoom...

Sunny and warm yesterday. Got to drive around with the top down. Spring is on the way??? Okay, probably not, possible snow by the end of the week.
  • Thanks to Ateixeira and Erics6 for your useful information. Ya I guess I just need to rev the heck out of it. Tried driving it in the snow with the summer tires last night. Boy was it a challenge! A little fish-tailing was kinda fun though.

I guess I can live without a cupholder... for now...
  • chet4chet4 Posts: 2
    99 miata vibrates @ 60 to 70 mph ,new tires and rims,balanced and checked by dealership.Says not vibrating enough to find the problem.Any ideas?
This discussion has been closed.