Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• while the preacher was saying his words to marry us, my good friends were outside smearing limberger cheese on my manifold. Now that is real car stink you cant get rid of. But that was years ago and a 1949 ford.
    My 99 tracker never gave me one minutes trouble in 2 years. No smells, no breakdowns, no sqeeks. creaks, or rattles. It was a good vehicle. For every couple hundred good cars or trucks(any make) they make one like yours. They should have dropped yours into the 'crusher', but sometimes the bad slip thru no matter what.

Nick
  • I used to own a junker 1982 GMC pickup and guess what? Recently received a $2000 rebate check in the mail towards the purchase of a new GM vehicle because of the settlement of a class action lawsuit about the gas tanks in these vehicles. I have also accumulated $1200 in GM card rebate. Also Trackers now have a $2500 rebate. Also I can get a 5% employee (about $1000) from relatives. Lets see that's $6700 off on a new Tracker, Should I get one? Why?? We love the one we have now and have never had any problems with it. It's almost paid for, and only has 23,000 miles on it. 1998 was the last year for the first generation bodystyle which I prefer to the newer ones. We don't need the V-6, when we tow our trailer, or need more room, we use our AWD Astro Van.
  • bouybouy Posts: 14
    I own the 99 Tracker automatic four-door. Can anybody tell me if it is normal for the Tracker to make vibrations through the speeds between 40mph and 45mph when decelerating. I believe my Tracker should not vibrate at this speed and pursuing a BBB case. If you have this problem can you tell me if you resolved it. Although the vibration does not affect the performance, I believe a new car should not vibrate-GM claims otherwise.
  • Hi: I am looking to buy a Chevy TRacker ZR2 4WD/4DR. I was wondering what is the reliability history of this mini-ute compared to RAV4 or other similar products. I also was wondering how much people have been paying before the "rebates"...negotiated amount. If people are not comfortable posting this you can send email to elee@valleyhealthlink.com and I can post a summary for the community if there are people wanting that info. Thanks in advance.
  • We're at 2500 and counting. It's a fantastic little Ute - the wife takes my Impala when I'm not traveling the state on business and I get the Tracker. We are quite impressed, it's our "get around town" vehicle. Having 4-wheel in it is nice, esp. with the rain-soaked roads here in the midwest.

No problems so far! The "Pickup" on accelleration increased some at 1K miles and BIGTIME at 2K. IT's got some pep!
  • nick01nick01 Posts: 84
    I guess everyone either sold their Tracker or they sold their computer. That had to be a tough choice to make. :)

Nick
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,632
    A couple of the SUV discussions are slow at the moment. Maybe the weather has been good or everyone is afraid to shop at the moment, or maybe SUVs are out and Wagons are in. The Xterra crowd is missing in action too. Keep posting - someone will pop back in.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

OK steve...I'll stay tuned in. When the snow starts to fly things will pick up. Thought my post might scare up a little flurry of more posts. :)

Nick
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,632
    heh, don't use the "snow" word. It's still hitting the mid-70's here and is dang nice outside.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• I'm not ready to give up golf yuet for the year!
  • dindakdindak Posts: 6,632
    Anyone out there compared a Tracker to a CR-V / RAV4?
  • Our 2001 Tracker 2WD LT had the battery die at 5:00PM on a Wednesday in rush hour traffic in Houston. We called the 800 number which contacted the dealer. At 6:00 PM a tow truck took the Tracker to the dealer's lot. The next day a new battery was installed covered by the warranty. No problem since that time. As a matter of fact the dealer called twice to ask if we were satisified with the repair and service. The answer to both concerns was yes. We have 13,000 on it and it runs fine
    I never had any vibrations in my '99. It was smooth as butter. I dont think your problems are normal.

Nick
    I hope the snow holds off for a while. I just went out and bought myself a Honda Goldwing. Havent rode for 20 years. I pick it up tomorrow and will learn how to ride again on the 40 mile trip home. So I hope you get at least another month or more playing golf. Your about 500 miles north of me.
    My little Tracker dont care what it does...it's ready for anything.

Nick
  • bouybouy Posts: 14
    I am surprised that so many people are having such good look with their Tracker's. My 99 Chevy Tracker is suffering from many little annoying problems! The paint is coming off the front of the hood, the ignition switch is jamming and the horn broke! The car also vibrates at various speeds that is very annoying. I wish I kept my 87-dodge raider!
    If your unhappy with the Tracker maybe its time to drop by the Dodge boys and trade that sucker off on something that your happy with. Life's too short to live like that. Get rid of it.

Nick
    I agree. If you got a lemon, get it fixed up right or get rid of it.
  • Trade 'er in! Sounds like you got a lemon. We took the wife's Tracker up to northern Wisconsin this weekend for a weekend w/ friends at a "Cabin" - more like middle-class wilderness, but cabin sounds good!

Got onto some nasty old roads, dropped 'er into 4W High and it was smooth sailing!

I'm glad I got her this little truck before the Wisconsin winter sets in. I need to move south!:>

Good luck with teh Goldwing Nick01 - I was thinking about a bike in the next 2-3 years!:>

B
  • jeproxjeprox Posts: 466
    i know tracker and sidekick are identical vehicles but i was wondering if anyone know how much of the parts are actually the same.

can suzuki parts be used on the tracker and vice versa?
    I would estimate about 95% of the parts are the same. The parts that are different are mostly for cosmetics. Suzuki parts can be used in the Chevy and vice versa.
  • I know that I can set the clock because I have done it more than once, but I'll be damned if I can remember how to set it today.

I have a AM/FM/CD player and the owners manual says to hold the HH or MM button for 2 seconds, but I have no HH or MM button. Is it one of the other buttons?

Thanks in advance to anyone who can answer this.
  • Hi! I am looking at 2002 Trackers, and was wondering about security systems. I live in the NYC area, and find this to be necessary.

I know it has remote keyless entry - but is there any alarm that comes with it? If not, am I best off installing outside Chevy (from another company) or asking Chevy to install one when i get the car? I would appreciate any feedback. Help!
  • I'm thinking about trading my Mustang for a Tracker. (No I'm not smoking crack. The car no longer suits my needs.) Does anyone have any comments on the tracker's v6?
  • woody72woody72 Posts: 73
    On my 01 Tracker with AM/FM/CD, there are two arrow buttons in the lower right corner just to the right of 'audio' button. Pressing and holding the left button advances the hour, the right button the minutes. Hope this helps jimnbene.

15k mile update; no problems, basic oil/filter change, air filter change. This is the 4 dr, 2.0L, 5 sp., 4wd. Very satisfied.

Fuel gauge; every once in while the fuel tank does not appear to fill completely, perhaps 1-2 gals short making mpg calculations frustrating. I've tried different pumps and the 'forbidden' topping off, both to no avail. I've e-mailed Cami, still waiting for a reply. Anyone else experiencing this?

Can't comment much on the V6, the 4 is adequate for my needs, I've read the 6 is not that much more powerful.

For security; I'd get a fuel line locking valve, so even if someone breaks in, starts it, it will die from lack of fuel.
  • I installed a Viper security system in my Suzuki Vitara. In addition to sensing shock or movement to trigger the alarm, it disables the starter.
  • I can give my brief experience with a new V6. I got a 2002 Tracker ZR-2 with the V6 about a month ago. It cost me low 18's with everything except leather. I already have got about 1,000 miles on it. The engine seems pretty peppy, not a lot of low end though. The gear changes with the automatic are a bit abrupt on mine. Dealer says it will work itself out. Mileage is about 18-20 mpg on a mix of driving. No major issues, couple of minor things at delivery. I like the new headrests and the addition of the armrests for this year. They might make you feel a little cramped. If you are even a little on the wide side you will be glad the armrests flip up. The truck looks nice in black, just tough to keep clean. So far we like it quite a bit. I do wish they would offer tinted glass, moonroof, and the LT grill on the ZR-2. Hope this helps.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    i just bought a 1999 Chevy Track, it has a 2.0 with a automatic trany. it didnt come with a owner manual. i was wondering if any of your guys out there could PLEASE tell me what is the recommend oil wt "like" 5w30 or 10w30 ? also i was wondering how much oil does the 2.0 take for a oil change? and is it every 3000 with the tracker? thaqnk you !!!!
  • The manual recommends either 5w30 or 10w30 and makes a warning statement about not using 20w50. I've been using Castrol 10w40. It takes just about 5 1/2 qts. Recommended intervals are either 5K or 7.5K depending on use. I do mine at 5K. I'm glad you didn't get a manual tranny, many problems as stated on this site specifically with '99 manual trans. Good luck
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    thank you for the reply, is there anything i should look out for with a 1999 2.0 Litre with auto trany & 4x4? is there any patterns of problems that people have been seeing? i am just a little nervous, i just bought this thing. and i hear 50/50 mixed feelings about it, some say they are great & some say they are Junk. But in my option, the 2.0 engine is NOT as weak as everyone has been talking about. i bought it and thought ,OK this thing will not climb hills well etc etc. but actually it zooms up hills with Min effort.! i was thinking about draining the oil that the shop put in it and put in Mobil 1. maybe 5w30? my prizm took 10w30 for some reason. and that is why i was asking what the tracker took, because i thought all 4 bangers took 5w30, until i owned the Prizm. ALSO BTW !!!! can anyone recommend what to use when cleaning the softtop? i mean on the CLEAR plastic rear windsheild. i was told about 1000 things NOT to use. but no one told me what i CAN use...

thank you
  • We have a 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2dr and use 5W30 Mobil 1. Bought new and now have 12k miles on the vehicle. For cleaning the soft top windows, use running water while wiping with a soft mild car cleaning soap. Wipe in one direction, not back and forth and keep the cleaning cloth rinsed. The idea is not to allow dirt to build up on the rag while cleaning the plastic windows. That will scratch the window surface.

There are plastic cleaner and polish products available from Bestop I believe but have not used any such products.