Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• cannon3cannon3 Posts: 296
    the Toyota models and where they are manufactured/assembled?

"Most" models Toyota sells here in the U.S. are not all made, or should I say assembled here in the U.S. by the way.
    I am tryijng to find the link to the percentage of cars/trucks Toyota makes here in the United States. When I find it I will link it.
    Not picking on Toyota. For decades Toyota as been portrayed as God of reliability and quality. The beacon to reach. Well, the sky has fallen, the truth can no longer be hidden by any auto manufacturer.
    Competition breeds better. Ford, Hyundia, Subaru, even GM and now Chrysler/Dodge have plainly caught up with Toyota/Honda and even in some instances surpassed them in quality, reliability, innovation and creativity. The consumer is catching on to this.
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 41,297
    Wikipedia has a list of Toyota vehicles and for many of them, you can click through and see where they are manufactured.

Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Most models maybe, even then maybe.

But the volume models are, so by sales volume I bet the vast majority are made in North America.

I'll search for a link.

the truth can no longer be hidden by any auto manufacturer

But it can be hidden by an angry US military denied a base in another country.
    LOL, hilarious:

http://www.cars.com/go/advice/Story.jsp?section=top&subject=ami&story=amMade0710- &referer=&aff=national

1. Toyota Camry Georgetown, Ky.;Lafayette, Ind. 1
    2. Honda Accord Marysville, Ohio;Lincoln, Ala. —
    3. Ford Escape Kansas City, Mo. —
    4. Ford Focus Wayne, Mich. —
    5. Chevrolet Malibu Kansas City, Kan. 3
    6. Honda Odyssey Lincoln, Ala. 4
    7. Dodge Ram 1500* Warren, Mich. —
    8. Toyota Tundra San Antonio 7
    9. Jeep Wrangler Toledo, Ohio —
    10. Toyota Sienna Princeton, Ind. 6

Toyota also has 3 in the top ten, Honda has 2, Ford 2, Chevy 1, Dodge 1, and Jeep 1.
  • gagricegagrice San DiegoPosts: 29,053
    edited May 2011
    I say bravo for Toyota. That shows community spirit as well as looking out for the employees. Honda sounds like they are following GM and their failed Jobs bank debacle. Paying people for doing nothing leads to the entitlement mentality the UAW was famous for.

PS
    This will also go a long ways to repair their image in America.
    Paying people to not work is just crazy.

When the product is a smash hit they expect to be entitled to bonuses and overtime pay, but when it's a flop and production slows the opposite isn't true...
  • fintailfintail Posts: 33,977
    Paying people not to work, isn't that how our executive class and public sector survives? :shades:
  • explorerx4explorerx4 Central CTPosts: 9,836
    You expect Toyota to just discard these people out of hand?
    They invested a lot of training in them and I assume these same experienced employees will remember who stuck by them during the lean times.

A bad rep in the USA did not hurt like an act of God. That and our shrinking dollar value. I am not so sure it is a strong Yen or an extremely weak Dollar causing the pain. If they are hoping the Dollar will regain its value they are probably in for a long wait. Better expand here and forget importing cars.
    edited May 2011
    Nissan will be next to report so we may get some indication of how much of it is a rep problem or how much is the quake and the high yen.

"In the U.S., however, Toyota had not yet fully recovered from last year’s unintended acceleration fiasco when the Japan earthquake hit. As a result, Toyota posted a lower market share for the fiscal year even as the company spent 26 percent more on incentives compared to the previous year. Other highlights of Toyota’s U.S. performance for the fiscal year, calculated by Edmunds.com include: 1.8 million vehicles sold in its 2011 fiscal year, up slightly from 2010 fiscal year, but well under the pace of the overall industry; market share falling to 15 percent to 16.6 percent; costly incentives climbing 26 percent, despite lower incentive spending in the January-March 2011 quarter; an increase in the number of days it took to sell a Toyota vehicle, to 51 days from 44; and falling lease penetration to 21.9 percent in its second half from 25.4 percent"

Great Quake Downs Toyota's Profits (AutoObserver)

edited May 2011
    "Less reliant on Japan for vehicle production, Nissan demonstrated it was less shaken than Toyota by the country’s devastating earthquake in March, posting a better-than-expected fourth-quarter profit. Nissan CEO Carlos Ghosn said at Thursday’s news conference announcing financial results that the automaker would return to normal production levels globally in October after the March 11 earthquake, tsunami and nuclear plant disasters disrupted production at Nissan plants and its suppliers’ factories in Japan."

Nissan Stirred Not Shaken by Quake (AutoObserver)

Let's try the Q4 charts for comparison:

Not discard, train them, or let them volunteer somewhere to make good use of their time and for team/community building.
    A bad rep in the USA did not hurt like an act of God

I would say a bad RAP in the USA...

:D

To be honest I'm surprised they are making any profits at all. Probaly from sales of stock piles. Surely profits will disappear and we should see losses soon.
    I know you consider it a bad Rap. I think they deserved some of the bad reputation for lies told to Congress and the American people. They must have fixed something as the complaints of SUA have diminished. Was it just the poorly designed accelerator or the poorly designed floor mats? Among other issues they tried to coverup at the top echelons of the company.

I do praise them when due. Like keeping people working at their loss during hard times, as in San Antonio.
    A reporter is interested in speaking with consumers who wanted to purchase a Honda or Toyota but decided to purchase something else because inventory was tight.

If you are interested in commenting on your experience, please reply to pr@edmunds.com and include your name and email address.

• nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Hurtful!! :surprise:
  • berriberri Posts: 4,234
    I think Toyota will come back strong before the year is out. I expect they learned from their quality lapses. I think all they need now is more comfortable seats! I hope Detroit really has competitive products today (in the past I've always been hurt when I fell for that line and bought one). Otherwise when Toyota is back, given their cash flow it could get ugly again. Personally, I'd hold off buying a new car right now unless absolutely necessary. Japan will end up getting back in the game with deals and Detroit will have to follow. Car sales pricing is probably artificially pumped up right now.
    Their "quality" problems have cost them a lot of money too.

"Recall and warranty costs increased by ¥30 billion during the fiscal year, even though many of the recall costs were incurred in the previous year. And those increased costs aren't expected to peak until later in this fiscal year. That cost estimate does not include legal expenses or lost sales from the recalls. The negative publicity from recalls caused Toyota to increase its spending marketing and cash-back offers to buyers in an effort to hang onto sales.

So even as high gas prices should be lifting sales for its fuel-efficient models, Toyota finds itself facing unusual struggles for a company that could seem to do no wrong just a couple of years ago.

"Toyota has been socked with one thing after another," said Edmunds.com senior analyst Michelle Krebs. "They had not yet recovered from last year's (recall) fiasco when the Japan earthquake knocked out some of its production."

Toyota production picture improves (CNN Money)

• anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra earn IIHS Top Safety Pick Awards

Meanwhile, the 2011 Nissan Titan took home an acceptable rating in the rollover evaluation while the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado, 2011 GMC Sierra and 2011 Ram 1500 netted marginal scores.
  • obyoneobyone Posts: 8,065
    Ford F-150, Toyota Tundra earn IIHS Top Safety Pick Awards

So does that mean that Tundra sales will be taking off? Means something only to Tundra owners. Not a big deal. But post on........
  • anythngbutgmanythngbutgm Posts: 4,175
    ? Your hate for the Tundra adds nothing to the discussion... um about Toyota's :confuse:

But post on.......
    I have owned a Tundra. It's probably my least favorite truck. Oh, it was up to the usual dependable Toyota quality level, but I never liked the looks of it, plus it steered too hard, turning circle required a runway to turn around, the bed flexed too much on washboard roads, way too much, and it wasn't that comfortable. Just my opinion, but they still don't have the American truck right.
    but I never liked the looks of it, plus it steered too hard, turning circle required a runway to turn around, the bed flexed too much on washboard roads,

Did you look at the truck before buying it or did it appear ugly and uglier as you discovered how bad the ride and the bed flex could be? Just curious as most won't buy a vehicle that doesn't appeal to them. Course if it was a tax free gift I'd take one too.
    ? Your hate for the Tundra adds nothing to the discussion... um about Toyota's

Hate has nothing to do with it. I'm just trying to find relevance.
    How 'bout a longer test drive next time? Just sayin'...some of those things should have been easy to pick out.

Winning the Top Safety Pick designation doesn't mean as much in the pickup segment as it does, say, in the minivan segment, but it could still hurt Dodge and GM when it comes to Harry Homeowner buyers who also use their trucks to haul their families around.

Gas prices are more likely to hurt GM/Dodge truck sales than a lousy safety score, though.
    Did you look at the truck before buying it or did it appear ugly and uglier as you discovered how bad the ride and the bed flex could be?

You know, it was a shiny black when I saw it, had tons of great options, was a limited, had factory DVD, and I like Toyotas generally. But it was a disappointment, and just not up to my expectations. The longer I owned it, the less attractive it seemed to get. I don't know.... :confuse:
    How 'bout a longer test drive next time? Just sayin'...some of those things should have been easy to pick out.

My fault, no test drive at all. I normally drive Ford trucks, but thought I'd try this one, and expected it to be like other Toyota cars I have had. It wasn't. Only kept it 6 months, went back to Ford. Which I don't test drive either, but have never been disappointed.

Did like the roll down back window on the Tundra though, nice feature.
    I guess I put a huge amount of weight in to my test drives. A lot of cars surprise me, in good and bad ways.

Example: on paper, the Kia Optima seems like the ideal car. 200hp, modern tech, nice styling, 6 speed manual, good MPG, etc.

I test drove one with my brother. While nothing is out of line with this class, the class generally consists of boring sedans, and indeed it was ... boring.

The Sportage is a lot more fun to drive, even with less HP, no DI in the engine, and more curb weight. So both cars surprised us, the Sportage in a good way, the Optima in a bad way.