Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chevy Tracker

Comments

• mopar67mopar67 Posts: 728
    Have had a Suzuki Vitara (trackers brother) for a month now.
    I can report no problems (unlike my 2000 Dak), it runs well, but is a tad weak on pep.
    I am avg 26.5 MPG in all around driving.
    No tranny troubles.

Long live the hamster!
  • zeke707zeke707 Posts: 74
    I installed a 3" tubular rear bumper from Calmini on our 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2 dr. Looks good and already protected the plastic molding from some parallel parking dork! The Calmini unit is powdercoated black and equipped to take a ball hitch.
  • cxvargascxvargas Posts: 30
    I just replaced my OEM tires on my '98 Tracker. To my surprise my dealer told me that all four rims were bad. With 47,000 miles on it I was in shock. The OEM tires weren't really bad but I replaced them anyway because of a vibration coming from the front passenger side. Since the warranty already expired the dealer only offered to sell me some new rims. Well, I replaced my OEM steel rims with refurbished alloy rims and new General Tires. The problem now is that the vibration is still there but I feel that it moved to the rear of my vehicle. I was told that one of my new tires could be defective. I would like to know if any of you have experience something similar. Let me know.
  • arkainzeyearkainzeye pittsburgh paPosts: 473
    well i have a 99 tracker 2-door, and i have Not had any vibrations at all.. and i even have off-road tires on it. i would take that rear wheel ," the one you said vibrates" and move it up front. and then see if the vibration moves with it. then you will have a better understanding of what is going on here.. that's just something i'd do. just so that i wouldn't have to shell out any more Ca$h for labor charges
  • cosmo2cosmo2 Posts: 61
    Welcome to the world of Mr. Goodwrench. I hope the dealer's service manager at least smiled when he did that to you. FOUR damaged STEEL RIMS? How in the world did YOU survive the full-throttle trip down Everest? Do you have any other explanation as to how you could have damaged all four steel rims?
    yeah, i know how you damaged ALL 4 wheels..
    they were defective.!! i take my tracker places that maybe i shouldn't. basically i bought it as a fun Off-Road toy. And i have never had any problems with the rims. and i crawl over big rocks and pound through terrain as if i was trying to damage something. and my tracker and been perfect through it all. No problems.
    now i do have the aluminium wheels, but still. Don't let them take advantage of you. Toyota did that to my 65 year old mother. she had a electrical problem with her van. and all it was , was a loose connector on a sensor. and they told her she needed a NEW battery, starter etc etc , they basically charged her $980 for a loose connector. and the problems wasn't fix, so we took the van to a little foreign salvage yard garage. And he fixed it in 15 minutes. and charged us $25. Now i'm not saying that your rims ARENT bent. but if they are i doubt it is your fault. and if you do choose to buy new ones. you are buy way way way nicer looking rims AFTERMARKET then chevy could offer you and for probably about 1/4-1/2 the cost of factory too !!! and in most cases look more attractive and bored steel wheels.
    I know i asked this b4, but does anyone know of any websites were you can buy accessories for the 1999 and Newer. NOT the GEO tracker (1998 & older) but the Chevy Tracker.? i seen many websites selling some really interesting items. But they all seem to be for the Geo tracker.... thanks
    Try www.calmini.com. Click on Suzuki, then Vitara to bring up 1999 and NEWER Tracker and Vitara equipment.
  • tronsr1tronsr1 Posts: 149
    Follow up to my post #544. Installed same and it looks and fits great. Took me about an hour to install the tenpiece kit.
    TRON
    does anyone out there know of Exhaust systems made for the Chevy tracker 2.0 ? i'm talking like a HI-flow exhaust to increase power. I even wouldn't mind looking into a Turbo charger, if anyone knows of a place would might have one for my tracker. thanks
  • ballfire8888ballfire8888 Posts: 131
    My wife drives a 99 Tracker 4x4 2.0L; I just hate using it. I much prefer my 01 Nissan Pathfinder 3.5L 240HP. If you're willing to spend $$$ on a hi flo exhaust, my feeling is you should have sprung for a more powerful truck at point of purchase. I have learned to accept the Tracker for what it is ... a gas efficient small 4x4, nothing more!
    While checking under the hood of our 2000 Suzuki Vitara 2.0L with A/C, I was looking at the A/C condenser (small "radiator" in front of the engine radiator). Looking behind the electric fan blades, I noticed the fins in most of the area behind the fan were bent and in some cases completely closing any path for air to flow thru. Now the engine temp stays in the same range as always, the A/C cools as well as it always has, there is no damage to the front of the vehicle, the fan blade is not touching the condenser. I noticed the fins on the condenser are VERY fragile and just touching them can cause a bend in the fins. Take a careful look at your A/C condenser radiator behind the electric fan which sets in front of it...what do you see? You will probably need a shop light to examine closely...a casual look my not reveal anything. I also assume the 99 thru 02 Checy Tracker would have the same A/C set up (?)
    Dave, I agree with you that the Tracker is just a gas efficient small 4X4. And, it is a darn good one at that when you compare it to other small real 4X4's and not to the car-based AWD small station wagons. However, in Chris' defense, adding a hi-flow exhaust would give him a better performing Tracker at half the cost of your Nissan, and it still would get at least 50% better gas mileage than your rig. Adding a turbo would still make it less expensive than the Nissan, and it still would get better gas mileage. Go enjoy your Nissan and the things you like about it. (By the way, have you ever checked out all the performance add-ons offered on the market for the Pathfinder? Must be some Nissan owners out there wanting more, too.) We like our Trackers, and there is nothing wrong with improving a good thing.
  • swarthog1swarthog1 Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a problem with their 2.0 liter burning oil? I have 2000 4cyl, manual trans, 4x4, that I have been very pleased with. It is burning oil at 1 qt. per 2k miles. This IS within GM's acceptable consumption rate, even for a vehicle with only 23k miles. If this is a rare problem, I might have a case for GM to fix it. Please let me know. Thanks in advance.
    and granted, its fairly new however I am not experiencing excessive oil usage.

I might say you could try switching to a different brand of oil and see what happens. Bear in mind our hamsters run pretty fast at highway speeds and this works the oil pretty hard. Shearing is an issue at high RPM and if the oil you are using is not up to snuff, then it might not be holding is molecular stability at high rpm.
    Give it a shot and let us know what happens.
    I have about 49,000 mile on my "99 4X4 now, and I have recognized a pattern in the oil consumption. I have used the recommended 5-30 weight since I purchased the vehicle new in April '99. In normal use, i.e. city and secondary highway driving with occasional short (less than 50-mile trips) freeway driving and occasional "primitive" road exploring, the Tracker burns NO oil between 3,000 mile oil changes. When I drive at freeway speeds (70-80 mph) for about half or more of the miles between oil changes, it will burn off about a quart in 3,000 miles. I consider that normal.
  • woody72woody72 Posts: 73
    swarthog1: My '01 2.0 4X manual with 25K goes through 1/2 to 1 qt between 5K mile oil changes. This I consider acceptable. 1 qt per 2K miles seems excessive. Make sure you aren't leaking somewhere, also I've heard a bad PCV valve can suck oil out.

zeke707: I checked my A/C condensor and all looks good, no bent fins, you can see through to the radiator in all areas. Can't imagine what caused yours to bend.
    For those who own the 1999 to present Tracker/Vitara with a 2.0L engine and air conditioning, please read the recent posts on the Suzuki Owners Club here concerning A/C condenser damage. Do you have similar damage? Could this be a design problem?
  • schweikbschweikb Posts: 111
    I have a 2000 Tracker 4 door which I am looking to sell to replace with a 2-dr, but want a hardtop and a base emodel with auto. My handicapped dad cannot fit through the narrow front door of the 4-dr, but can in the 2-dr. I cannot find anything on Edmunds or elsewhwere showing a hardtop version of the 2-dr can be orderd. Anyone know for sure.
    Thanks
    with a soft top. YOu will need to go aftermarket to buy the hard top.
    You might also consider the Suzuki Vitara, which is nearly the same vehicle (built on the same line in Ontario) as the Tracker.
    Chuck, I have a '99 Tracker and have never had a problem with the A/C. However, after reading your posts, I inspected my condenser and found exactly what you described. It is difficult to see without holding a light at the right angle, but there is a definite circular pattern of bent fins. I plan to pull the fan shroud off on the 4th of July to get a better look. My guess is that the fan blades rub the condenser fins when the fan is free-spinning at freeway speeds. That is when the blades may be bent back toward the condenser. When the fan is powered on, the blades should bend forward like the props on an airplane. This looks like it may become a recall issue if it can be demonstrated that any damage may be safety or pollution related. I suggest all you Tracker, Vitara, GV, and GV XL-7 owners take real close looks at your A/C condensers
    Let me know what you find when you pull the fan shroud.

Thanks
    Check the Suzuki owners club page on this web site as more people are reporting bent fins on the A/C condenser. Check your condenser..this is beginning to look like a design problem. After closely looking into the front grille of your vehicle for the condenser area behind the electric fan blades, what do you see? Are the fins in the area bent?
    if you want to look at tracker hardtops go to this site

http://www.cartops.com/2piece-hardtops.html

• infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    finally got the squeaking clutch fixed after 5 attempts. it was the clutch assembly on back of the firewall. dealer said it was a missing a bolt that holds the assembly in place. took it back again for a squeak in the suspension. it had a bad bushing in front. i will check for bent fins tonight. otherwise still love the truck.
    i had that a few months ago. it would only make noises when i would go over speed bumps. so i jacked it up and sprayed some amsoil lube at all the contact points. and it hasn't made a noise since. 8)
  • infinia1infinia1 Posts: 174
    arkainzeye, i'm going to try what you did because it still happens after the bushing was replaced. and i didn't see the bent fins some people are talking about.
  • rettamanrettaman Posts: 2
    Hello! (First of all, this is my first post to this list...)

I am in the process of searching for a Chevy Tracker--1999 or newer--the purchase will be anytime from 9 months to two years from now. The car I currently own (and will eventually sell) is a 1996 Chevy Beretta Base Coupe with 113,000 miles, 3100 V6, four-speed auto transmission. (Obviously, the mileage will be higher in the future.)

I have been reading several reviews about the Tracker and am interested in buying one once I save up more money for a decent down payment. (I have especially liked the Tracker since the redesign in 1999. It is relatively inexpensive when compared to other makes/models.)

However, one of the concerns I have about the Tracker is the amount of "road noise" and "lack" of power. I am used to the Beretta's power and handling. So, I guess I will have to adjust when I purchase a Chevy Tracker. This also will be the first SUV/truck I've ever owned.

Any advice or insight? Thanks.

GEJ in the Carolinas <><
    don't expect the power to be even close to the beretta's even if you got the v-6 version. i have heard from v-6 owners that it is disappointing for a 6 banger. ONLY like 30 some horse difference from the inline 4. i noticed road noise is mostly dependant on your tires you have on it. for instance i use BFGoodRich ALL-TERRAIN tires. they are GREAT for going anywhere, but they are noisy. i personally don't care about road noise. hell i have a 2-door soft-top so road noise is something you get used too. as for power, my 4 cylinder goes anywhere, and i live in western PA, which is ALL hills and mountains. now it wont will any races, but it climbs them hills easily doing 60+ mph.
  • rettamanrettaman Posts: 2
    Thanks...I appreciate your reply and I do think it would be good to have a TRUE frame SUV...sometime. The Beretta is nice (and I don't want to part with it yet), but it can't go where some of the SUV's can. It would be good to go to the beach or snow and not worry about getting stuck.

Also, I forgot to mention in my first post that since 1977 my dad has had a 1969 International Scout 800A 4X4 with the 3.1 L (196 CI) slant-four engine with only 85,000 original miles and three-speed transmission. It has the travel top and can be noisy too. (And, from a distance, it remotely favors the Tracker.)

GEJ <><