Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Toyota on the mend?

Comments

• ateixeiraateixeira Posts: 72,587
    Can't really tell, to be honest.

But...uh, if you're filming, who is driving?
    ·
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,671
    Recall nbc news

I can't believe I posted it before the Toyota hate "people" did!
    ·
    Wonder who supplied those power window switches? That is a HUGE recall! :surprise:
    ·
    Is that the most incredible sound you've ever heard?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AniAg1_ACN8&feature=player_embedded#!

I can't decide which is cooler, the Spyder or that flat black one.
    ·
    Link to Toyota for more info

This is 2.5 million in the US, and is a voluntary recall.

"The driver’s side PWMS may experience a “notchy” or sticky feel during operation. If commercially available lubricants are applied to the switch in an attempt to address the “notchy” or sticky feel, melting of the switch assembly or smoke could occur and lead to a fire under some circumstances.

The “notchy” or sticky feel may be caused by an uneven application of the grease during the switch assembly process at the supplier. If the grease is not applied evenly, frequent use of the switch and normal operation may cause the grease to become carbonized and may eventually result in the deterioration of its lubricating properties."

Not a real big deal, and a supplier assembly error.
    ·
  • steverstever Viva Las CrucesPosts: 43,815
    edited October 2012
    Wish they'd name the supplier. GM has had issues too.

NHTSA Investigates GM, Toyota Vehicles for Door Fires (cars.com)

A somewhat similar Honda issue was caused by water leaking onto the window switch.

Honda recalls Fit/Jazz cars over window fault (Reuters)

My Nissan master power window switch, made by ALPS, carboned up on me and I had to mechanically clean it a few years back. Didn't think about it being a possible fire hazard.

Moderator - Minivan fan. Feel free to message or email me - stever@edmunds.com.

·
  • fintailfintail Posts: 35,161
    The cabrio is interesting. Flat black is kind of passe and douchey at the same time.

That car still looks like a derpy carbon fiber Pikachu from the front.
    ·
    Remember the Lincoln MKZ door started smoking at the auto show when it debuted?
    ·
    from the front

Seems like most street legal cars would only see the rear, so not a problem. :P
    ·
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/10/lexus-lfa-special-edition-ad-x-spied/

Too much going on with the colors. Either do the CF roof or the red wheels, both are a bit much. And why a painted black hood?

More power and aero upgrades, wonder how it'll do on the track?
    ·
    One for the speculators to tuck away in hermetically sealed vaults.

The red trim and tacked on looking bits are far from elegant, for sure.
    ·
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N77m1gRC7F4&list=PLEF0E157AE97E1954&feature=playe- r_embedded

I think the FT woke them up a little, and they're realizing the value of showing their toys to enthusiasts.
    ·
    Now that's a cool Toyota.
    ·
    How tall is he? I'm afraid I wouldn't fit!
    ·
    I googled it, consensus is around 5'11".

I doubt I would fit, either.
    ·
    I squeeze in to the Miata OK, modified the dead pedal a tad.

Guys with helmets usually have to remove some of the bottom padding depending on spec rules.
    ·
    edited October 2012
    I sat in a previous SLK once...I kinda fit, but my line of sight was too much in the top of the windshield for me to be comfortable. Like some bikes, some cars are built for those who are 5'7"/140. Of course, those built for those who are 5'10"/350 (big SUVs and pickups, I'm looking at you) are in some ways no more comfortable.
    ·
  • lemkolemko Posts: 15,267
    Did the Acura NSX gain any value as a collectible car or did it just become yet another used car over the past 20 years?
    ·
    Used car all the way. They have reached a depreciation floor, but aren't appreciating. Maybe collectible in another 20 years. Many early ones have been tarted up now, so a mint original car could become desirable.
    ·
    Buddy of mine here at work has a Boxster, my head was uncomfortably close to the roll bar. I had to sit in an unnatural position.
    ·
    Surprising, as Germans don't tend to be a small people. Maybe those cars are made for girls after all :shades:
    ·
    Oh man not the Boxster.... :D
    ·
    http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/11/2014-mercedes-benz-sls-amg-black-series-suffe- rs-fiery-wreck-whil/

Not as easy to leap frog the competition when lap times are already so quick.
    ·
    Oh, wait a minute, I thought CR was biased and helped Toyota? ;)
    ·
    edited October 2012
    Nowadays opposite is true...remember the Do Not Buy on the Lexus GX?

They let Jeep slide for the exact same issue. Re-tuned stability control fixed both.

They also panned the new Prius c. So much so that autoblog felt the need to defend Toyota. It's in CR's top 5 cars to avoid list:

http://news.consumerreports.org/cars/2012/08/five-popular-cars-to-avoid.html

Cars.com punched back:

http://www.autoblog.com/2012/06/01/cars-com-calls-out-consumer-reports-over-toyo- - ta-prius-c-v/

They were also hyper critical of the new Yaris and the Scion iQ.
    ·
    Probably so close to the limits of suspension and tire technology now, that ring times are more a function of driver than car.

Hmm...let CR or cars.com choose my car. I'll take neither.
    ·
    Once in a while a CR editor goes rogue, not sure how they let this C63 review slip by the editors:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GVe13o6H5Uw
    ·
  • fezofezo Manahawkin, NJPosts: 9,876
    This must be the guy who put the Prius C on the do not buy list!
    2013 Mazda 5 Grand Touring, 2010 Toyota Prius IV. 2007 Toyota Camry XLE, 2004 Toyota Camry LE
    ·
    I bet a few Prius-huggers canceled their subscriptions over that.
    ·