Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Stories from the Sales Frontlines

Comments

• Options
    tjc78tjc78 Member Posts: 15,928
    "Farmer, he is missing the last component. A new house!

I think he should buy mine. He can have it next June, right after HS graduation. We are in one of the best school districts around here. Sounds like a win-win!
    "

Don't give my wife any ideas! I'd like to stay here another 5 years or so, then move into a better school district. The grade schools are OK but not liking the HS.

Big thanks again everyone! To keep this on topic we picked out and ordered the baby's furniture today. Mom bought us the crib, we got the rest. Asked what kind of discount and the guy found a 15% off coupon. Next week is chair rail and painting the baby's room! Right now, mourning the Eagles pitiful play, watching Red Zone and relaxing (IE ... Not spending any more money!)

2023 Mercedes EQE 350 4Matic / 2022 Ram 1500 Bighorn, Built to Serve

• Options
    houdini1houdini1 Member Posts: 8,327
    Maybe the thief was a quart low !!

2013 LX 570 2016 LS 460

• Options
    driver100driver100 Member Posts: 31,977
    I think I'll wait to see the movie until it's on TV. I already know how it ends.

This movie is truly worth seeing on the big screen, and I don't say that about too many movies.

Even though you know how it ends the pressure and excitement are still there. I don't think a TV would do the movie justice....but, that's just me.

btw...personally, I was glad I knew how it would end, because I could not have handled the suspense if I didn't know.

2017 MB E400 , 2015 MB GLK350, 2014 MB C250

• Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    so when is the little car nut due? Must be fairly soon if you are doing all that.

HS, I assume triton? No, not quite up there with Eastern or CHE. I have spent a lot of time comparing school districts (particularly HS) over the years and through band competitions and other activities, have been to a ridiculous number of them personally.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    He is due in March. We really want to get everything done before the holidays. It will be nice not to be rushing toward the end.

Yes, Triton. Big school, lots of honors/AP classes etc, but serious problems there over the last couple years. Lots of time before we have to think about that and maybe it will get better. In five years I'd be in a great equity position to move into something bigger in a different neighborhood so most likely that will happen.

• Options
    snakeweaselsnakeweasel Member Posts: 19,330
    No, there is no "hidden cash".

Try working as a CFO of a dealership and then answer that question.

2011 Hyundai Sonata, 2014 BMW 428i convertible, 2015 Honda CTX700D

• Options
    jayriderjayrider Member Posts: 3,602
    Based on you experience, do you think that mfrs send bonus checks directly to the dealer owner ? Most of these guys live very extravagant lifestyles and seem to be involved with a lot of charities.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Snake, have YOU worked as a CFO in a car dealership?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    edited October 2013
    If there is hidden cash, there is no guarantee that information is being shared with the sales manager never mind with the sales folk out on the floor.
  • Options
    Bonus checks directly to the owners? I seriously doubt that happens. However, as with any other business manufacturers do strike individual deals with dealers that are not published and go above and beyond what "everyone" gets.

• Options
    Nope but I have been on dealership audit teams. So I have seen financial details that few, if any, in sales sees.

• Options
    Yep you are right. If you don't think that the dealership owners don't negotiate with the manufacturers I have a wonderful deal for you. These little deals are rarely known by anyone in sales.

• Options
    There are VERY few secrets anymore as a result of the wonderful internet.

Information like that would be spread like wildfire.
  • Options
    Sorry but the Internet is not all knowing. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer are going to publish these transactions. So how woud such a deal make it out onto the Internet?

• Options
    OK, I give up. Once again, you know more about the car business then I do.
  • Options
    I think what he is trying to say is that if the manufacturer had a spiff agreement with one particular dealer, that information isn't going to be found on the net.
  • Options
    That practice would put the neighboring stores in an uproar!
  • Options
    Perhaps but that doesn't mean it never happens.

I could see it happening. Around here, Herb Chambers has 4 Honda stores/1100 units in stock and probably gets some special bonuses some months. On the other months it goes to Ernie Boch with 2 stores/700 units in stock. Then the single store guys get something every once in a while. It may not be a cash bonus on sales but it could be a consumer financing discount for taking an extra 100 Accords.

Unless we were privy to the financial statements and manufacturer negotiations of the dealership, we will never know.
  • Options
    Maybe they all get direct cash -- how much depends on sales factors.
  • Options
    I had the inside track at the store where I worked but it's possible and three years have passed too.

If so, I hope that information never gets published or the mooches will want that money too!
  • Options
    We are not talking about the car business we are talking about business's in general. Specifically about the financial end of things.

• Options
    It's common practice in almost every industry. Why do you think tuft soup in cheaper at Walmart than at 7-11? Do you think that Walmart is paying camp less soup any published price?

• Options
    " We are not talking about the car business"

We're not? You are the one that asked me if I had ever been a CFO at a car dealership?
  • Options
    When you tell me what "tuft" soup is maybe I'll be able to answer your question.

I'm sure there are volume bonuses and such but I've never heard of this between competing car dealerships selling the same brand.

That would make the mega stores get bigger and the smaller stores go away.
  • Options
    I wanted to know your experience with financial issues.

• Options
    Tuft is auto correct gone mad, it should be "that".

Why wouldn't you expect it? It happens between competing stores selling the same products.

Going back to soup. Companies like Walmart and Kroger go to Campbell's and strike deals with them to get better deals than what Campbell's normally gives companies. I'll bet you that if a company that owns 25 Chevy dealerships and moves 200 cars a day through their network goes to GM and says let's talk GM will talk.

• Options
    Back in the early 70's I worked with a man who marketed a brand of walnuts in the Midwest. A Chicago supermarket chain told him they were going to give his brand a less favorable shelving spot in their stores. He said he had a meeting with the Executive in charge of such things and was taking $10,000 in cash to appeal the decision. Maybe things have changed since that was sop 40 years ago.
  • Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Based on my experience over the weekend, most overrated college band, USC.
    Very limited number of songs, but tried to make it up by playing them often.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    I'm pretty sure supermarkets still work that way. You have to pay to get good shelve placement.

• Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    Based on my experience over the weekend, most overrated college band, USC.

Reminds me of the old joke in California.

"A Bruin for four years, a Trojan for life"

"Yeah, cuz that's how long it will take to pay off the student loans"

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    You don't have to pay for good shelf placement, you need to have items that sell. Any merchandiser/buyer worth his keep will put the highest selling items at eye level or toward the front of an aisle.

Now if you want to talk about buying placement..... That mostly happens these days when a company offers "markdown money" to place their products by essentially paying you to clearance the other guys products out to make room for theirs.

• Options
    explorerx4explorerx4 Member Posts: 19,323
    Considering California's college tuition is pretty reasonable, that is kind of sad.
    The trip started out with my BIL and I going out for a game.
    It ended up with 9 of us and my wife and I sitting in the first row behind the visiting band.
    Now we are thinking, instead of a new car, buy a house for a couple of game weekends, and based on some conversations we overheard, rent it out for the other weekends to cover the yearly housing expenses.
    2023 Ford Explorer ST, 91 Mustang GT vert
  • Options
    You don't have to pay for good shelf placement, you need to have items that sell.

Just my experience and opinion;

Most grocery and drugstores want slotting fees and possibly placement fees.
    They may put the best selling products at eye level because it makes sense.
    They definitely want a payment for end cap displays or special display space.

I believe large companies such as car manufacturers will treat their dealers equally because of competition laws. They could give volume discounts, but, it may be based on volume or some other factors, but all dealers reaching that volume should be given that discount. They may have to ask to get it...but usually dealers would be on top of asking for anything available. Most companies don't want to be caught by an anti-competition law.

• Options
    I used to be responsible for a 30 million dollar P& L but I'm sure no accountant.

Other people did that for me!
  • Options
    My memory has faded but maybe I need to read Robinson-Pattman again.
  • Options
    bolivarbolivar Member Posts: 2,316
    This has been many years ago, but an indication of how 'the large store' DICTATES to their suppliers.

I worked for a major oil company. They told us - if you want your motor oil on our shelves, you are going to interface with our automated order processing system. Here are the formats and other specs and your will process this information electronically or we will not stock your product.

I've read several stories thru the years where they stock something from a small manufactor, then when it sells well, the manufacter will spend money to increase their production capacity and they will then start telling the company what they will pay for the product. I think this has put some small manufactors out of business.
  • Options
    MichaellMichaell Moderator Posts: 241,365
    Remember, USC is private and UCLA is public.

When I graduated HS in 1982, CA had one of the best higher Ed systems in the country. No more.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and let us know! Post a pic of your new purchase or lease!

2015 Subaru Outback 3.6R / 2014 MINI Countryman S ALL4

• Options
    Walmart is famous for doing that, you have to be integrated into thier system, packaged a certain way shipped a certain way and delivered at a certain time. Any variation would result in a penalty being assessed to the supplier. Very few who do business with Wally World escape that.

I know someone who started a small company and walmart approached them to buy what they manufacturered. Then Walmart pulled that crap and this guy I know flat out told them that they came to him wanting to put his product in their stores so they had to take it as he gave it to them. Needless to say his product isn't in Wally World.

• Options
    Walmart actually has a printed !manual about how to sell to them. Skid quantities, carton size, markings and, etc etc.

• Options
    maybe I need to read Robinson-Pattman again.

I checked that book out. Written in 1999 and itsounds like it would be a great read even today.

One quote;
    Many people think that big, successful companies found their prosperity by having big budgets, buying their way to the top. Not true. Great companies are successful because they are smarter than their competitors.

• Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,155
    > to get better deals than what Campbell's normally gives companies. I'll bet you that if a company that owns 25 Chevy dealerships and moves 200 cars a day through their network goes to GM and says let's talk GM will talk.

Or Honda...

I just read Arrogance and Accords and about the corruption in the system. I don't recall much national media attention when the exposure came. Lynch explains part of that because of other news events at the time overshadowing the big news about Honda.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    And even then not every company has to follow that. I know that P&G basically told Wally World to shove it. They have the power to negotiate that with Wally World and if Wally World wanted P&G's wares then Wally World had to bend.

Pretty much what this guy I know did, he told Wally World that if they wanted his stuff they played by his rules. He had all the business he needed anyway and he didn't approach Wally World, but unlike P&G he wasn't a mega player in his field so Wally World walked. He is still happy.

• Options
    graphicguygraphicguy Member Posts: 13,665
    Not unusual to have big companies try to dictate to smaller companies (some call it bullying).

Not all that long ago, I was doing business with Compaz (who was gobbled up by someone even bigger...HP). I was with (actually one of the founders of) a small compay that made specialized (graphics) printed circuit boards for high end computers. Think the computers that creat ditital images and animations for movies, commercials, etc.

Anyway, we were relatively small, and very technical (vs sales and marketing focused). Compaq tried to tell us where to buy our computer chips, what to charge, what margin we should expect, wanted to see our bill of materials and costs associated with them, etc. In all honesty, from a financial point of view, we probably would have been better off following their direction.

As it turns out, we balked. We had our own suppliers (although we didn't have the quantity of scale Compaq was allowing us access to). We had our own cost and pricing structure, and we sure weren't going to share it with anyone externally. The thought process was once we started sharing with Compaq, they'll just replicate what we were doing, and leave us with a small licensing fee.

Initially, we were right. Compaq did try to replicate what we were doing, without our help. They weren't very successful at it. And, eventually they came back to us much later and started buying from us. That was a couple of years later, and we missed those years we could have realized revenue from Compaq. But, we felt we kept our integrity.

HP gobbled up Compaq shortly thereafter, and we only did business with them for a few months, as a result.
    2023 Honda Accord Hybrid Touring
  • Options
    oldfarmer50oldfarmer50 Member Posts: 22,676
    edited October 2013
    "...Maybe things have changed..."

They sure have. Now supermarkets tell companies up front what it will cost for the best shelf placement. Choose not to pay? Customers will be looking at your product with their feet.

2019 Kia Soul+, 2015 Mustang GT, 2013 Ford F-150, 2000 Chrysler Sebring convertible

• Options
    edited October 2013
    >Choose not to pay? Customers will be looking at your product...

Judging by how few selections are on the shelves in the big stores anymore for certain items, customers will just be looking FOR you product--it won't be there, not even at your feet. :)

In a lot of things only one choice is there in food items. However, the stores has 39 choices for dog food, furniture, a liquor store full of choices inside the store (here they bought an existing license of a nearby store to be able to sell liquor at KRogers), a sushi bar, a cheese bar, and wine tasting.

...but only one brand of white beans for bean soup in a glass jar.

• Options
    bwiabwia Member Posts: 2,913
    I know that P&G basically told Wally World to shove it.

Not really. It is a symbiotic relationship. Some 15% or over $12 billion of P&G's sales go to Wal-Mart. Neither party can be too arrogant because they depend on one another.
  • Options
    >$12 billion of P&G's sales

I quit P&G products years ago. I find other brands are usually better or at least equal.

• Options
    I just read Arrogance and Accords

That was back in 1992. Here is a synopsis of that fascinating story.

Arrogance and Accords: The Inside Story of the Honda Scandal is the tale of the largest commercial corruption case in U.S. history. Between 1994 and 1997, eighteen former executives of American Honda Motor Company, along with four other people, were convicted on federal fraud and racketeering charges. The big secret at Honda was out: Over a 15-year period, the gang of greedy Honda officials had received over $50 million in cash and gifts from automobile dealers eager to obtain additional hot-selling Honda cars and franchises.

More details about the book;
    http://www.amazon.com/Arrogance-Accords-Inside-Story-Scandal/dp/0965776611/ref=s- r_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1382459924&sr=1-1&keywords=Arrogance+and+Accords

• Options
    Initially, we were right. Compaq did try to replicate what we were doing, without our help.

Business was always dog eat dog...but, I think it has become much worse recently, for some reason which I am not sure of.

I think it has to do with a lack of respect for authority, politicians, and a loss of ethical standards. The end justifies the means, and there is little pride in just standing on the merits of your product.

I am so glad I am fully retired, since May, I wouldn't want to be in the rat race these days.

• Options
    NEW 2014 Ford Escape S $99 for 24 month lease

2014 FWD FORD ESCAPE S MODEL. MUST QUALIFY WITH LEASE CONQUEST FOR $1000.
    MSRP = $23,595. 24 month lease, 10500 miles per year allowable, $.15 per mile thereafter. $2000 due at signing. Does not include sales tax. Does not include registration and acquisition fees. Security Deposit waived. Not all buyers will qualify. Must be financed through FMCC. Must take delivery by 11/01/2013. Prior Sales Excluded.
    stock#:FHG40706. mileage: 211

What's the catch......there are lots more at;
    http://www.westherr.com/find-a-car/on-sale/?&saleType=Lease

This discussion has been closed.