Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chevy Blazer/GMC Jimmy

Comments

• Options
    repairdogrepairdog Member Posts: 948
    The shop that installs will NOT help with someone elses rebuilt motor if it has problems so beware. If it has to come out for any reason you pay again. Ask about this and then decide. Any rebuild gets new pistons and bearings, crank work, cam/lifters, etc so read the fine print on "as required" or all get them - local shops usually do as good or better cause you live there and they cover their mistakes. Just an opinion.
  • Options
    greazyjunglegreazyjungle Member Posts: 1
    Is this bad? If I just turn off the AC will it stop smoking?

M
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Is this bad?

Yes, this is bad! Smoke means either electrical overloading or mechanical malfunction and where there is smoke there is fire. Get it checked out ASAP.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Is it really smoke or probably steam (old burnt maple syrup smell??). Heater core blew if that so check your coolant reservior now. If dropping and you want a quick fix cause its hot out now, go to the auto store and get a plastic inline connector I believe its 5/8 and 3/4 and all stock them them, remove the heater hoses at the firewall and bypass the core, refill the coolant, off you go.

If really smoke do not drive as tidester said until the cause is determined.
  • Options
    alexgaboralexgabor Member Posts: 2
    I have a 96 blazer with 207,000 miles on it. The rear end is going out on it and I'm looking for someone to help me fix it for less than $1,000. Any referals would be appreciated.
  • Options
    Junk yard or ebay for $450 complete if yours is really trashed. Most 4wd or transmission shops do the rebuilds so ask in your area - all will quote a price after pulling the cover and inspecting for a small fee. 2wd and 4wd are different widths and also if 4wd you have to match the front diff ration and the code is on the glove box tag. If 2wd you can switch to any ratio and add posi too. Common is 3.42 in all Blazers with 3.73 the other common 4wd one used. 98up switched to rear discs also.
  • Options
    bbessler1bbessler1 Member Posts: 2
    I have found a 14 oz can of r-12 refrigerant i've had in my
    cellar for a long time. I want to try and recharge the a/c
    on my 93 s10 blazer. Where is the low pressure valve located?
    thanks
    Bill
  • Options
    alexgaboralexgabor Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I'll go to the tranny shops and see if I can get a better quote.
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A large internet Web site is looking to interview consumers who are SUV owners. Please send an e-mail to ctalati@edmunds.com no later than Tuesday June 20, 2006 by 2:00 PM PST/5:00 PM EST containing your daytime contact information and the SUV you currently drive.

Thanks,
    Chintan Talati
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    hank8hank8 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1987 GMC jimmy 2.8 and i was wondering if the parts from a 1984 chevy s-10 blazer 2.8 would be interchangable.
  • Options
    Some are but as shown below the earlier model had a carb and the newer a TBI.

1983-1985 - 2.8 L LR2 V6, 2-barrel carbureted, 110 hp (82 kW)/148 ft·lbff (201 N·m) (VIN B)

1986-1993 - 2.8 L LL1 V6, TBI, 125 hp (93 kW)/150 ft·lbff (203 N·m) (VIN R)
  • Options
    bigdummy1bigdummy1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 96 blazer as well was just wondering.. i come to a stop sign turn on my blinker and my volt gauge kinda ticks up
    and down.. is that a sign i need a new alternator?? :confuse: if i turn everything on brights,radio,ac,dope lights,wipers the gauge go's into the red pretty much :cry:
  • Options
    Probably - free test at most auto stores. Alt should be putting out over 13.5 V if you have a meter with the engine running. Battery with engine off 12.6v.
  • Options
    wizzard123wizzard123 Member Posts: 1
    I have A 1994 GMCJimmy SLE 4.3 V6 4WD Auto 4 Door
    VIN#1GKCS13WXR0524030. First I would like to know where the crank sensor is? I have put a new computer in,new TPS sensor in, Also put a new fuel regulator and Injector system in. Getting fuel up to where you check fuel pressour getting 60 lbs then drops to 13 to 14 lbs getting fire It will start when I squirt gas into it then when I stop it stops running Please help :sick:
  • Options
    Running pressure should be 54psi for a CPI injection system. Old TBI was 12 psi so theres your problem - low running pressure so it staves out. CPIs have a pressure reg and 2 lines under the upper intake housing that are a known leakage/problem area but so is the pump. No crank sensor on yours - these older distributers had the sensor and pickup internal to the dist.
  • Options
    gsb1954gsb1954 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1995 gmc jimmy 4.3. It seems to be a bit sluggish, like it's holding back. I've driven others and mine seems to be odd man out. I've had the cap and rotor changed as well as the plugs. I tried regular and premium gas but no change. Any ideas?
  • Options
    Depends on mileage and your maintainance. Over 100k is full tuneup and 95 are known to have leakly CPI and nut kit but usually have a gas smell or washed intake (internal). Check the posts on CPI. Also any codes or SES light on, check all vac hoses cause these always rot out and follow to the reserviotr in the drivers side fender.
  • Options
    vafan13vafan13 Member Posts: 1
    I am possibly buying an '86 Jimmy and wondering how much it would cost to get an airbag isntalled.
  • Options
    chipahoychipahoy Member Posts: 2
    Hi,
    I dont seem to know the differences between the Chevrolt Blazer and the GMC Jimmy. Can someone point out the differences to me... which is better, mechanically and functional. Are they exactly the same size? They seem the same to me.... please help.. anyone?

Thanks Hector :D
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Vehicle Comparison tool while waiting for responses.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Trim and wheels diff but all the running gear is same - Olds is AWD only so stay away from that. 98Up went to dual depowered airbags and added rear discs. The Autotrac option (4th button) allows 4wd on pavement and is in LTs but over 100k miles some have xfer case chatter cause they have clutch packs in them - not sometime most use or need to. 96up went to updated injection system.
  • Options
    A bit old for me but those did not have airbags did they - if not forget adding one - if they did in the steering wheel simple job to get one at the junk yard and install.
    But if this is an S-10 Blazer not full size thats a 2.8L car motor or a small 2.5L 4 cyl - I would really think twice before getting into one 20 years old unless you work on vehicles cause you will have to alot.
  • Options
    chipahoychipahoy Member Posts: 2
    Thanks alot for the advise... Ill see my options to get a 1998 or older Jimmy/Blazer. Thanks!
  • Options
    jimmydrjimmydr Member Posts: 1
    Has your Jimmy had any hot day starting problems since replacing the pickup coil? Now that it is summer my Jimmy symptoms sound a lot like yours. let me know, it has been a 3 year mystery for me...lucky Cannada has only 2 months of hot weather.
  • Options
    phantom55phantom55 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 94 jimmy. One day my heat gauge in the dash decided to stop working. Can't find the problem. Can anyone help thanks.
  • Options
    Sending unit on engine or the wire to it would be first place to look and easy to change.
  • Options
    reddog719reddog719 Member Posts: 3
    i have a 98 jimmy with a 4.3 csefi and it wont start unless I put gas down the air plenum. I have checked all the engine sensors and fuel pressure, had to change crank sensor was bad. what I dont understand is why after I dump fuel down it it will run all day drive it anywhere as long as you dont shut it off and let it sit for more than 30 to 60 sec. if you do it wont start again unless you put fuel or eyther to it. please help its driving me crazy.
  • Options
    Was the fuel pressure a minimum of 60psi with key on engine off tested at the fuel rail test port? There are several articles published on this and that is required to fuel the richer start mode. Running drops to 54psi. Fuel filter been changed also. After this - you also take the air housing off to do this so is the air filter clogged at all. Try unplugging the MAF sensor on startup and see if it starts - clean it with electronic spray or replace if this fixes (larger connector in air housing to the 1" wide metal asssembly).
  • Options
    reddog719reddog719 Member Posts: 3
    No not with key off but cranking it was. I cleaned the MAP sensor. what is MAF? Is it on air cleaner housing between the air cleaner and the air pleum?
  • Options
    This is a 98 you said so no MAP - yes thats the MAF there. The small one in the air housing is a temp sensor. Again, 60psi key on engine off for start.
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Hi, everyone. As you've probably noticed, we have been trying to refine the discussions into more narrowly focussed topics. Our objective is twofold. We want to make it easier for people seeking specific information about their vehicles to find it easily and without having to wade through hundreds or thousands of postings.

To those ends, we will be shutting down the general make/model discussions and work exclusively with specific issues. This requires us to populate the make/model subsections with relevant, interesting and timely topics. Rather than having the hosts simply create boilerplate topics for each make/model, we feel that you, the owner, the make/model enthusiast and the prospective buyer can best judge what those topics should be.

You can help by adding a discussion (it's easy!) or suggesting one here.

To add a discussion, click on the last link in the "You are here" line at the top of this page. That will take you to the topic page for this make/model. Review the list of topics and click on the "Add discussion" link when you've decided what topic you'd like to add. Follow the directions and you're done! Feel free to add more than one. Just avoid duplicating existing topics and try not to make it TOO specific!

Your help and continued participation in the Forums is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
  • Options
    stevie07stevie07 Member Posts: 2
    I own a 2001 gmc jimmy diamond edition,I have a problem with the hvac switch,it usually stuck in the vent position and very rarely does it go to any other position.I have read a recall that a vacum switch is leaking oil and it is getting into the hvac switch.Where would I find this vacum switch.
  • Options
    Believe that its a simply vac line from the T on the drivers side underhood - the line goes from the intake to the reservior in the drivers side fender all 5/32" vac and the hard plastic hose goes to the heater control. Default is vent so trace that one and make sure the rubber line is not rotted out/broken underhood.
  • Options
    bradyp26bradyp26 Member Posts: 1
    There is a 1986 chevy blazer k5 for sale on ebay uk but the seller doesn't seem to know the body type , it appears to have bench seats running length wise in the back is there a chevy silverado blazer suv or is this just a camper top ?

Thanks

Paul
  • Options
    nathan10nathan10 Member Posts: 1
    hey i have a blazer like that so i went out oan checked it and i think that its mostly a factory mistake and that the wheel is allowed to turrn to far putting the suspension in a bind, have you ever noticed how easily youre blazer makes a uturn , mine makes a harder turn than my sunfire, I would suggest that if you whant to stop the popping noise grease the front bushings and the tention bar at the rubbers. i think it will help

nathan10 tech
  • Options
    corbynovacorbynova Member Posts: 2
    My 2000 jimmy has 42 psi fuel pressure KOEO,54 psi at idle.Often I have to use starting fluid.It has the spider unit.Where should I start fuel pump or pressure regulator.How do I check the regulator pressure?
  • Options
    So with the pressure tester connected does the pressure jump close to 60 right after turning the key to run (KOEO) then drop as soon as the 2 sec pump prime stops? Requires min of 58-60psi for cold start.
  • Options
    tothetee2tothetee2 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2003 Chevy Blazer that seems to run a little rough when idling. The RPMs are around 500-600- when at idle.
    Is that where they should be?
    Kirk
  • Options
    In drive thats correct. Many have a slightly rough idle could be from many things: injectors get buildup of waxy crap from cheap gas, cap/rotor, plugs, wires, fuel filter, sensors degraded (O2, MAF, temp, etc), vacuum leak, idle air control valve, clogged air filter, and each has to be looked at. Sorry no easy answer. Can relate to area, mileage, and driving habits.
  • Options
    corbynovacorbynova Member Posts: 2
    No! It rarely makes it past 42 psi with KOEO then drops most of the time toward zero.The pressure keeps dropping as soon as the relay kicks off aftr 2 secs.It now will only start on ether an then refuses to stay running.Would this be the injector assy/regulator or fuel pump?I can`t afford to take it in for diag.thanks alot
  • Options
    Here is a pic from Autozone of the fuel system.
    http://autozone.com/servlet/UiBroker?ForwardPage=/az/cds/en_us/0900823d/80/18/bc- /6f/0900823d8018bc6f.jsp
    First is the battery voltage good, fuel filter new, and no fuel leaks in the lines? Need a min of 60psi to start as you have found out. Pump or regulator - pump over $500 and regulator $65. The regulator maintains pressure so a dealer uses a special tester with a valve that they can slowly crank shut and watch. Home mechanics temporarily squeeze the return line off at the flexible plastic section taking care to not damage it and not allowing the pressure to increase above 75psi or line damage may occur. If the pressure does increase the pump is probably good (holds pressure so good pump damper, check valve, and internal tank fuel line connections) and this points to the regulator return pressure spring (or to a leaking diaphram or injector poppet) If pressure does not increase past 60psi the pump is probably bad. After 2 sec the key must be off for 10 sec before it will operate the pump for an additional 2 sec prime.
  • Options
    tothetee2tothetee2 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the help. I have changed the plugs, wires, cap/rotor, fuel filter and air filter. Guess that narrows it down. I have 103K on it. Driving habits are all highway averaging 75 MPH. Could it be a timing issue?
  • Options
    Timing is fixed at distributor and adjusted by the computer. Do you ever lose any coolant from the reservior or see any leakage. Lower intakes are a known problem around 90-100k leaking some coolant into the valley so fill that up and watch it.
  • Options
    dogledogle Member Posts: 2
    where is the fuel pressure regulator on a 2000 gmc jimmy 4.3 ltr engine?
  • Options
    Under the plastic upper intake cover attached to the fuel injector assembly.
  • Options
    dogledogle Member Posts: 2
    Thanks I'll take a look.
  • Options
    bpottsbpotts Member Posts: 1
    My 1997 Jimmy has begun to lock and unlock itself after the it has been shut off. There is not a keyless entry on this vehicle and I have checked the fuse as well. I pulled the fuse in an attempt to operate it manually but when I pulled the fuse there was a whirring noise that was coming form under the dash intermittently. Not sure where to begin looking for this problem. Has anyone else experienced this?
  • Options
    ixmoixmo Member Posts: 2
    today i decided to give my 1997 jimmy a much needed bath. afterwards, my power door locks stopped working . could it be a fuse problem? , switch of some sort ? . im so low on funds and cant afford to be bent over by a dealer or mechanic. any ideas? please help.my neighborhood is not the best and the back tailgate door cannot be locked manually ,so tonight it will remain unlocked while i sleep. this sucks , the last thing my family needs is this right now.
  • Options
    ixmoixmo Member Posts: 2
    bypotts , my jimmy is now doing the same thing , i have no answers yet but most likely ill take it somewhere tomorrow. i locked the jimmy completely manually came back outside an hour later and it was all unlocked . what a crock huh? , ill write back when i solve this BS.
  • Options
    If 97 they have a known bad ignition switch (actually the connector and module in the column) so see the many posts on that - all power goes thru there.