Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Montero

Comments

• brillmtbbrillmtb Posts: 543
    My only concern is the lack of power for towing only. Around town I keep up with traffic easily. I went the same way with the third seat, havent even used it yet. If the only problem is the towing power that is going to be a mute point too because I only plan to tow a small trailer to local camping spots around OR.

Yes, I am lucky enough to have wonderful camping in my backyard......flyfishing heaven :)
  • Picked up my Montero last night! I got the black limited with rear air - dealer dropped to 34,550. I appreciate eveyone's input - was a great help in making my decision! Can't wait to show it off!
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    August 14, 2000 article from AutoWeb.com.au

Posted for informational purposes only.

"'In its first full month since the launch of the all-new NM series, Mitsubishi's Pajero has blitzed its opposition.

Sales increased by 98% over the same month last year (increasing from 492 to 974), while it also showed Toyota Landcruiser and Nissan Patrol a clean pair of heels to become the top-selling medium or large 4WD on the market.

Pajero registered 974 sales for the month, while Landcruiser sold 942, Patrol 876 and Prado 793.

Mitsubishi's Director of Sales Operation, Ian Ludgate, said that it was obvious that the new Pajero had struck the right chord with 4WD buyers.

"The stylish but aggressive looking new monococque body, the superb on-road driveability and improved off-road capabilities brought about by the new independent suspension is obviously the right package. When added to the Australian-first of a five-speed tiptronic-style automatic transmission and the innovative third row of seats Pajero has set a standard for other cars to match.

"Journalists are saying that 'Pajero has lifted the bar', and obviously the consumers agree. It is obvious that Pajero could have opened the gap even more if it hadn't been constrained by tight supply and an overwhelming initial demand," Mr Ludgate concluded.

Pajero has racked up more than 80% of its initial sales at the top end of the range, with the luxury Exceed and feature-packed GLS being winners. Exceed alone accounted for 50% of the sales.

Mr Ludgate said the Company had increased their orders on Japan to help satisfy the pent-up demand, and he expected that the waiting period currently being experienced will evaporate by late September.'"
  • How are the 2001 Monties leasing. My research leads me to believe they are soft on the residiual resulting in a less than stellar lease arrangement. Has anyone leased, and if so, please provide some details. I am looking at a limited with rear air. Does 34 + tax out the door sound like a decent price?
  • aldon1aldon1 Posts: 1
    I WANT TO BUY A MONTERO BUT I AM CONCERN WITH THE FUEL ECONOMY. IS IT TRUE THAT IT GIVES 14-17 MPG? OTHER PEOPLE TELL ME IT GIVES THEM 17 MPG, WELL I GUESS IT IS JUST THE WAY YOU DRIVE, ANY IDEAS, PLEASE LET ME KNOW. THANKS
  • I've been considering the Montero since Spring 2000. After months of researching a reading the comments in Edmunds, Motor Trend, etc., I finally compared the Montero & the Acura MDX (MT SUV of the year) back-to-back.
    Findings:
    Acura MDX- This SUV is bigger than the Montero on paper in almost all interior dimensions, but does not feel this way when actually inside it. There is also excessive wind noise protruding inside when cruising down the interstate. The handling seems better than the Montero, but the acceleration seems to be very similar (even thought the 0-60 time in MT is 2.2 secs faster for the MDX). When entering the 3rd row seats, the salesman told us we could enter from the passenger side only b/c the driver side 2nd row does not fold down for entry. After putting mud on the 2nd row seats while stepping on them to enter, we later had the mud rubbing up against our knees while sitting in the 3rd row. There is about 2 inches more seat width in the 3rd row but the overall comfort is a tad less than the Montero. Even though it is great to stow 1/2 of the 3rd row, I would usually just stow the whole thing when not using it. Interior fit and finish was very good and the nav system was intuitive enough for my wife and me. There is enough data contained here to dazzle the Jones', but I do not do that much traveling that I could justify the $2000 option and $100 upgrades when Huntsville, AL becomes more detailed. Also the rear air vents are similar to my father-in-law's LHS. Vents are needed in the ceiling to cool off the ALL of the rear passengers pronto. I do like the memory seats and the Home-link. The exterior design DOES NOT scream "Upscale", "Masculine", "SUV"-from the rear,"Unique"- especially when parked next to minivans, "Expensive". Also the running boards seem useless when entering/exiting the vehicle.
    After optioning out the MDX to make it look more masculine and less "minivan like" by adding fender flares & the tailgate deflector then putting more wood accents into the cabin, the cost can easily come to $42K in my area where dealers DO NOT budge and with 7.9%-9% APR. This is compared to an easily haggled-down $34,500 fully loaded Montero with the special 4.9% APR through 2/28/01.

2001 Montero Limited- This SUV looked distinctly different and seemed to have a less minivan like feel to it compared to the MDX (which my wife and I liked). I was concerned with the acceleration and handling before testing it. The acceleration was on par with the MDX and the 5.4 liter Tahoe we also drove earlier that day. However, the lane change maneuver did produce some top-heavy feel. The interior seemed very spacious and the 3rd row was easier to enter/exit with similar leg room, but no mud on our knees (see MDX comments). Volume behind the front seats is the same as the MDX with 82 cubic feet of space. The 2nd row seats recline nicely and passengers in the 1st and 2nd row can enjoy an almost convertible-like feeling with the HUGE moon roof. LCD instrumentation is similar to the MDX w/o the nav system. The #2 glove boxes are great. My wife also likes the 5 speed sport-tronic shifter, but it does take some getting used to after coming from a 5 speed Nissan Maxima-no clutch with the Monty and you always shift up when accelerating. Overall, the interior is of high quality even w/o the Home-link or memory seats. My only question is "WHERE IS THE CASSETTE PLAYER?!". The exterior is very sporty and unique. I do wish they would match the side mirrors and the crome tail-light accents to the color of the vehicle. Even though the rear hatch opens from the left side, that doesn't really concern me. Somehow, this SUV screams "Upscale", "Different", "Masculine", "Unique", "Rugged".

I'm beginning to see as many MDX's as Madza MPV's on the road. I'm having a tough time telling them apart. I think my wife and I are going to purchase the Montero before the 4.9% APR runs out and head to the country club after tackling the Appalachian Trail here in North Alabama. Good Luck on your choosing.
  • phonosphonos Posts: 204
    I get about 17 mpg consistantly using 87 octane ARCO gasoline with MTBE (which is about to be phased out) including freeway, paved streets, and offroad driving in SoCal. This is in a 2001 Montero Limited w/ rear A/C which has the 5-speed auto transmission that the LTX does not have. Other people on the 2001 Full Size Montero board have reported better gas millage using 89 or 91 octane. (As high as 21-22 mpg).

-PHOnos
  • plgunnplgunn Posts: 1
    I have owned 2 Monteros (1997 and 1991) and generally been pleased. I plan on buying a 2001 but haven't decided between the Limited or XLT. I wonder if the addtional perks on the limited will really be used such as the five speed shift transmission, heated front seats (in the South), heated mirrors, etc. I guess it is a question of price because I do want leather seats. For those who have puchase a 2001, how have you liked it, any problems. My 1997 had problems with the CD skipping and is tough on front brake pads. Thanks.
  • I own a 2001 montero limited. Have had it about five months. 2 things which bother me about it. One is: the door seems to but right against the drivers seat so that the entire left leg, above the knee down to the ankle is jammed against the door. Has anyone else noticed this? At least anyone else 6 feet tall 200 lbs. 2nd is the car is emitting a burning smell everytime after it is turned off. I have read the undercoatin theory. But that smell is supposed to go away after a few months. All fluids have been checked. Any ideas. This vehicle is starting to scare me.
  • The book of Montero accessories at the dealership mentions two baskets for the Montero: a "luggage basket" for $93, and a "luggage basket with net" for $267. Now, I can't believe that the baskets are the same and the net costs $174. Nobody at the dealership had any details on these baskets, only that the one without the net might be smaller. Nobody could give me dimensions. Does anybody know anything about these baskets?

John
  • The two luggage baskets available through the dealership are completely different. The 93 dollar basket is actually a 2000 model made for the 2000 Montero Endeavor. The 267 dollar basket is made by Yakama, but sold through the dealership. Go to Yakama's web sight an look up the specs on a "Load Warrior" basket. This is the same basket offered for a substantially higher price at the Mitsubishi dealership. I plan on buying the same one for my new "Limited" it's a quality product no doubt!
  • cct1cct1 Posts: 221
    IMHO:

I have owned my Montero limited since August, and absolutely love it. Agree with joe that the door does intrude more than I would like--I think this is secondary to the door controls being fairly low to accomodate the side air bag (if the door controls were a little higher, the armrest would be more functional rather than taking up leg room). Other than that, I love this thing (I would move the cruise control to the wheel itself rather than the column; it makes the column too busy the way it is but this is a relative minor complaint.).

CD player has been great on this one.

Not sure where the burning smell is coming from on Joe's--I havent had any probs with mine; I would try to pin the dealer down on that--something is definitely wrong there. Make the dealer smell it himself; if worse comes to worse get a loaner and tell him you won't take your car back until its fixed (this has been effectively used by a friend of mine--fortunately he doesn't own a Mitsubishi).

The five speed is more of a gimmick than anything else--really not that useful in everyday driving (although others have suggested its useful in serious offroading, but I doubt there are many people doing serious offroading with the exception of Phonos, who drives his over mountains,into caves, and inside an occasional volcano or two; if he could get his to the moon, I believe he would make his Monte the first airconditioned luxury lunar SUV).

You do give up the 4wd system on the XLS--I'm not a big fan of part time 4wd, and this pretty much excluded the XLS for me. (I live up north in Wisconsin, and the 4wd has been awesome.). The power leather seats are more comfortable in the limited as well--you can adjust these things to be so comfortable you could fall asleep in them. The heated seats/mirrors are nice too--but probably unnecessary where you live. The moonroof is awesome, but you can get that as an option if you wanted it on the XLS. The LCD is nice looking, but really doesn't add much to the vehicle.

Overall the XLS is probably the better value--its alot of truck for the money--but the ltd is a pretty good value too if you compare it to other luxury suvs. If you don't mind or need part time 4wd, then consider the XLS, however if the extra dough is not a major issue, get the ltd--I personally think its worth it for the 4wd system alone, not to mention the other goodies. I would be slightly worried about resale on the XLS vs the ltd as well, although this may not be a concern.

Good luck!!
  • I just found the web site http://www.mitsubishi-accessories.com/ They could get me genuine Mitsubishi accessories for less than I would have paid at my local dealer. They are not located in my state, so there's no sales tax. And, they are offering free shipping for a limited time. I ordered some roof rack attachments and a cargo net for my Montero. I spoke with Darrin, who was very friendly and EXTREMELY helpful with answering my questions.

John

• russ30russ30 Posts: 4
    I have seen a number of postings from limited owners about the gas mileage they are getting. Are there any XLS owners out there who could share their gas mileage?

Thank you
  • Can any one explain the 4x4 differences between the Infinity QX4 and the Montero 2001 Ltd.s and which is better and why for serious off roading. Also if the is another 32-38K SUV (not an "All Wheel Drive Mini Van like the Acura MDX)that I should consider that is out or coming out, like the all new Ford 2002 Explorer? with 3rd seat. I really would like to be able to seat 6 adults (problem with the QX4- but it has 240HP, Michelin tires, Bose 6CD stereo, memory seats). Why can't one SUV have it all? They are all a frustrating compromise at the present. What am I missing? If the Monte had a 4 liter 240HP V-8, I think it would be close. Any Montero owner's upgraded the tires yet?
  • viet2viet2 Posts: 66
    ClayBuster, Try Car and Driver and other magazine see why they love the Montero in off road situation. Big engine is nice, but I like to conserve fuels while I am far from a gas station. I would just say that I loved my Montero because of its smoothness(on or off-road) and its personality, and right now there is nothing like it. Oh, what is wrong with the Montero original tires?
    There are many reasons to buy the Montero over the MDX but I just want to mention a few general findings.

1. 2001 Montero #1 in Austrailia over the Landcruser. Now thats saying something.

2. Recent TV review (? car/driver, I cant remember now) states that the MDX is "no offroad vehicle". They really bashed the offroad ability of the MDX. Said it did not handle at speeds, the rear end got too light and the ground clearence was limiting. So...dont worry about the handling comparison. From other articles I have read the Montero is quoted as doing extremely well in high speed off road driving. Yes, it is not going to pull lateral g's that well but I venture it will meet your needs.

3. Price is way better.

4. It is quiter and more comfortable. The first things most people mentioned when I took them for a ride.

5. The 4wd system is unbeatable.

6. On my way home last night I stopped for gas in the Mountains in Nor CA. Met a chap from Africa. He asked me how I liked my Monte then preceded to tell me that he had 2 himself, no reliability problems and that they and the LC are "the only" SUV's to go with in tough situations such as Africa. What an endorsement!
    I asked him "where were you when I needed to ask someone about the only issue I had before buying, the realiability of the Monte". He made me feel even better that although you dont see as many over here these SUV's really are fine vehicles.

If you need more details there are plenty of comments here. Good luck.
    Re: Gas milage

I never get below 15mpg even with more aggressive drining and I have reached 20mpg on the HWY. I wish it was better but then I feel better since I almost bought a Sequoia and it is really getting poor mileage with people complaining about the sticker being incorrect with mpg in the 11 range. Thats over 20% worse than my Monte's worst mpg. Ouch!
    I cant find any notation that I have a side airbag. Is it possible my 2001 doesnt? Do you have any labels that indicate your Monte has side airbags. I told someone I thought I had them but we couldnt see obvious evidence of this.

Also, I think the 5 speed is very handy. Definitely good for off road, good for towing, long grades and steep downhills.
  • the 2001 Montero has side impact air bags. Look
    on the outside edge of your front bucket seats, and
    you will see the side impact air bag emblem.