Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Cadillac CTS Engine Problems

Comments

• 4u2no4u2no Posts: 7
    Actually I am positive that their was no indication what so ever! I had the same exact problem and there is a Low Oil Level indicator and a oil life percentage. The percentage was always well above 50% and the low oil level didn't come on to warn me. We changed oil every three months ourselves so we know it was done properly. I had to take my car in for check engine light and the oil was dangerously low and no indication that it was getting low! This was mostly in town driving that I was doing also. That only happened like 2 times because I double checked it. Then 2 years later my engine went! I am getting a second opinion on mine. I also contacted GM customer service which was a joke! They didn't offer any help or sympathy to me at all! It is an 04 CTS with 83,000 miles. So I don't think this problem is the consumer at all. Good luck to them on getting GM to do anything!
  • erycuserycus Posts: 7
    Christina,

I have have already tried this avenue. The GM customer service rep was Caron. Case number is 71-964760776. Someone will be contacting you within 3 business days. If you do not hear from someone within the time frame, please let me know.

VIN: 1G6DP567850217479 2005 CTS 3.6L

I was contacted by GM and I was told "there are no recalls on your vehicle, therefore we can do nothing for you" I have owned 7 GM products, but I have found that customer loyalty has ZERO value to GM!

I ended up purchasing a used engine and having it installed, I am bitter, disillusioned and very disappointed! I have contacted BAR (Bureau of Automotive Repair) This is a wide spread and major problem with the CTS. I feel very sad for anyone that has purchased a Cadillac CTS, if they have not experienced a problem yet....just give it some time...they will!
  • zebandcozebandco Posts: 22
    I'm not sure GM even opened a "case" for me. In early April this year I called and the GM rep put me on hold while he called the dealership. He came back on and told me the dealership was working on the car. It was mostly handled at the dealership. The end result was the dealership (Ron Craft - Baytown Cadillac) gave me 5K for the car which would have been worth 10K + had the motor not cratered. I have to say the dealership was great and I have no complaints there. My issue is that I took the car in before asking where in the heck the oil was going. It would eat two or three quarts to oil between oil 5K mile oil changes. I always figured if it wasn't leaking it out on the garage floor or burning it out of the exhaust, the oil was still in the crank case. Silly me. It got to the point I was adding a quart every two weeks or so. When it finally laid down on me it had 3K on the oil change and was 3 quarts low plus one quart I had added at about 2K miles. I'm not sure I still have the VIN but will look. I'm sure my credit union has the VIN number since I'm still paying for the car.
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Don't believe everything reported in Consumers Reports as it does not provide sufficient sample information for specific vehicles. For example, there may be few Cadillac owners reporting to Consumers Reports. The best evidence that this a major problem is the anecdotal evidence from owners provided in forums such as this one and the fact that other GM owners are reporting similar problems with this same engine but in another vehicle. For example, check out the GMC Acadia forum for engine problems and you'll see this engine is a disaster in that vehicle too. Good luck with your vehicle.
  • billpaulbillpaul Posts: 103
    edited August 2011
    Consumer Reports does not report reliability when the sample size is too small for an accurate assessment.

For the GMC Acadia, CR reports worse than average reliability with major engine problems for the 2007 model year.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,152
    erycus,
    After reviewing your case, unfortunately due to the age and mileage of your vehicle I will have to agree with the decision made by your phone agent. I apologize for your frustrations.
    Christina
    GM Customer Service
  • I'm with you on the "class action " law suit against GM. Why has there not been a recall on all of these CTS engines with oil consumption problems? Too much cost to repair? Why have their intelligent engineers not corrected this problem? Goodbye GM, hello Toyota.
  • It is hard to do a recall when the cause of these sporadic engine failures has not been identified. I have suggested that defective valve seals should be considered, as this has previously caused engine failures with low oil levels in other brands (e.g. VW & Audi). I also wonder if these engine failures qualify as a safety issue, which is the usual requirement for a government mandated recall.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,305
    safety issues, not bad engineering or crap engines.
  • david780adavid780a Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    2004 cts 3.6 automatic, after the car sits overnight when the car is put into drive it has a 5=6 second delay before it moves. car is fine the rest of the day, only does it after sitting over night. took to dealer, tech could not duplicate it said no codes found, i know my car and it does this everday, left over night, service manager was able to duplicate it, tech again said no codes found, well duh didnt think so, i was told to do a transmission flush, i said thats not the problem some thing is starting to wear out im not paying 200 dollars for a flush only to have the problem still there and then to be told well lets try this to see if this will work, my extended warranty has 100 miles left on it, car has 89,500 miles either the friction plates or the torque converter are going, im not stupid, then i asked if i pay 200 to flush it and it still does it and you finally find its something else will i get my 200 back and was told no. this is nonsense, you mean to tell me your techs can only fix somehting when there is a code that shows, this nothing more than trial and error at my expense till they finally find the problem, what should i do, thank you, any ideas what might be wrong are welcomed.
  • Take the car to a privately owned shop (not a cheap chain).
  • hi have you had any engine issues like timing chain and oil consumption I also have a 2004 and have both problems , would like to try and get idea of how many people have 100k miles on their cars without any problems. If anyone reading has a high mileage car please share any comments good or bad. thanks
  • no engine trouble i change the oil faithfully every month and does not have oil consumption issues
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Forest Lakes, AZPosts: 3,305
    edited September 2011
    . . . i change the oil faithfully every month . . .

Wow -- so your put is that MONTHLY oil changes are the answer.

How far do you drive in a month? a year?

With today's oils (just dino, never mind synthetic), oil change intervals of 5 - 7K miles are generally well regarded.
  • I have a CTS 2009 AWD 3.6. I bought a demo car. A 2009 in 2009. Since I have had the car the car eats over a quart of oil every 800 miles on the usual. More so at other times. I currently have 34,000 miles on it and have reported the problem. And they say "service guy" that that is usual and there's nothing that they can do unless it consumes more oil. That is baloney I have had 9 new cars in my 41 years of life and never have had a car ever eat oil like this. And this is not cheap oil it is synthetic. I mean to me they are just riding this out until the car is out of factory warranty then when the engines blows they will state that I am responsible for a new engine out of pocket. I have contacted Cadillac and they want me to bring it every 500 miles. I have had 3 Cadillac's in my life and never a problem like this. I am thoroughly disgusted as you state. I purchase the car new to not have these problems and support the American industry only to be screwed by the American automaker. Next time I am buying foreign. Yes they are nice at the service desk but nice doesn't fix my problem on my 48,000 dollar car.
  • I agree with you. I purchased a new vehicle expecting not to have major issues. At least you got an answer. When I asked my dealer where the oil was going they just shrugged their shoulders. Actually, now that I think about, that was a more honest response. They really don't know where it is going but they do know there is a issue with the V6 consuming oil. I wonder what "uses more oil" means? A quart a day?
  • maybe 1000 miles, but i have the oil and tires rotated every month regardless, have ever since i bought it, mainly because of the timing chain issues i have heard about,i take really good care of this car, have every reciept from the dealer for services, one thing if anything did happen cadillac cant say i didnt do maintenance.
  • gmcustsvcgmcustsvc Posts: 4,152
    jamesseverino,

I apologize for the problems you are experiencing with your vehicle. Have you spoken with Cadillac Customer Assistance? If so, could you please email me your case number? I would like to look further into your situation.

Thank you,
    Caron, GM Customer Service
  • temj12temj12 Posts: 450
    I have a 2009 CTS with the 3.6 engine. I have the oil changed at 5 to 6000 mile intervals at a Cadillac dealership. It uses a quart between changes. Do not let this oil usage problem go until it is out of warranty. I would stay on this until I got GM to do something about it. My service advisor told me that one of the problems they had with the oil life monitor was its generosity between changes. He said some people change the oil, going by the monitor, and never check between changes. He told me that they recommended no more than 6000 miles; that what they were finding was the actuators were going bad at around 50000 when people were going more than that. In my case, if I went by the monitor, I would go 13000 miles between changes. It does not sound like you are doing that. Your situation is not normal.
  • no i havent called customer service, im just dissapointed that the highly trained tech cant find the problem, it does this everyday and its not normal, im affraid that the transmission will finally go bad all the way and ill be stuck with the bill, thats why i bought the gmpp, first one for 2400.00 second one for 1400.00. i take excellent care of this car oil changed every month and wheels rotated every month., my car is at della cadillac in queensbury ny 518-793-3871. just authorized to have the transmission flushed, but i know thats not going to fix the problem. thank you for reading my story and writing me.
  • Why don't you post your contact info so people can call you directly , the people on this forum are very upset with the way GM Cadillac is dealing with their concerns and I have had the same experience. You are in no position to help any body so why don't you stop wasting peoples time and giving them them false hope.
  • I have a 2005 CTS 3.6 and it has the same problem with oil consumption. I'm much older than you and have owned dozens of vehicles in my lifetime and have never had the experience of 600-800 miles per quart of oil as I have with my CTS. The Cadillac dealership service manager told me that was in range for Cadillac. Sorry to hear that this is still a problem with the 2009 model. One would think that the engineering dept. would have this issue resolved by now.
  • AMEN! the GM service people told me "there are no recalls" or TSB's (technical service bulletins) therefore there is nothing we can do for you!
  • CTS ....acronym for Cadillac Truly Sucks!
  • jpfjpf Posts: 496
    Head gasket problems on the old 2.2 found in the Cavalier's and Corsica's lasted for most of the 90's. Intake manifold gaskets blowing out on the 3.1, 3.4, 3.5, 3.8, and 3.9 V6 engines has been happening for the past decade. GM's track record on resolving major engine issues is not very good. Best of luck.
  • What is the oil capacity of the 3.6 engine???? The 3.5 V-6, alum blocked, 4-valve engine used in the Intrigue and Aurora between the yrs of 1999 through 2002 was 6.5 qts..Owned 2 Intrigues with the "Shortstar" engine and did 75k on a 99er and 120k on a 2002 w/o any problems.

Did switch from Mobil to Pennzoil which helped eliminate the adding of oil between changes, every 3k..With Mobil usually 1500 mile was a qt low..Both cars were 90% driving on open highway at 75++..Caddys owned were a 91 Deville Touring Sedan w/4.9 V-8, 1996 Deville w/Northstar, and a 1999 Deville w/Northstar..Never added any oil between changes..

I see the 2012 Impala has the 3.6 engine rated @300hp..Pricing starts around $25k, kinda takes the prestige out of the Caddy chatter!!! Love those corporate engines..Caddy engines in a Chevy!!!!

My experience with the above owned models was satisfactory, the 91 got a new engine at 59k miles, gift from Cadillac due to piston slap..The Caddies were the wife's..I only drove them on Florida trips and to the dealer..

Current Caddy pricing is "out of the ball park", no value!!!!!!!
  • I had the same experience with my 2006 STS, it was using over a quart of oil every 1,000 miles. The dealer had me bring it in every 1,000 miles for a total of 3,000 miles to document the oil usage. After that they changed all the seals in the engine under warranty. This fixed the problem. You might ask if your dealer can do the same thing.
  • The 304hp V-6 current offering has a crankcase capacity of 6qts..Called my friend at the Caddy dealership..

The 215hp "short-star" V-6 of the Intrigue and Aurora was 6.5qts..

Won't run the CTS/STS too long at 80+++, might go to trash....
  • mrvr2umrvr2u Posts: 8
    edited September 2011
    Cadillac family, I have appreciated the forum discussions but last month I decided to do something that I don't regret...I got rid of my car before it got rid of me! Some off the information that was mentioned I experienced and it is very true, trying to get Cadillac (GM) to come to your aid is like searching for gold. For the most part my CTS ran pretty good for me but I wanted to be the one to quit before it quit me. So, I took it to CARMAX and they rewarded me handsomely. I plan to stay within my car family Toyota and get me the LS 460L. It was good communicating with you.

Victor
  • someone should call the local news then drive their caddy through the front window of the dealer.