Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Hyundai Sonata Front Suspension "Thunk"

Comments

• Options
    aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    Before I get to the topic of this discussion...

Let me first emphasize the fact that we're all anonymous posters in here - and it will remain that way until we all meet in person (which, for the majority of us at least, will not happen). So, how do we back up our claims? Data. Actual real-world numbers.

So let's consider the following.

1) Number of Sonatas on the road in the US, model years 2006, 2007, 2008, and 2009: over 400,000. There have been posts on Internet forums regarding suspension noise and/or poor ride quality in each of the aforementioned model years.

2) Some posters claim they have driven multiple Sonatas and all, or most, of the cars had suspension problems. Some posters claim to have personally spoken with other Sonata owners who had the same suspension issues. Some posters claim Hyundai has been unable, or unwilling, to fix their car's suspension problems.

Considering these claims, let's be conservative and say that out of all 2006-and-newer Sonatas on the road in the US, at least 1 out of every 4 cars has suspension problems. So, 1/4 of 400,000. In the US alone, that would be at least 100,000 Sonatas, model years '06 through '09, that have suspension problems.

Now, let's break that number down even more (staying conservative). Of those 100,000 Sonata owners whose cars have suspension problems, let's say 1/2 of those owners consider their car's suspension problems to be a real issue. That would make 50,000 Sonata owners who are unhappy with their car's suspension noise and/or ride quality.

Now, of those 50,000-or-so Sonata owners who are unhappy with their car's suspension, let's say only 10% of them take the initiative to pursue a Lemon Law case, or other forms of action against Hyundai. The other 9 out of 10 unhappy owners just keep their car, sell it, or trade it in.

That would make, at a bare minimim, 5,000 disgruntled owners of '06 through '09 Sonatas taking some form of action against Hyundai. That's just in the United States alone, not counting all the Sonatas sold in Canada as well. Why have we not heard about this in the media by now?
  • Options
    lenstanglenstang Member Posts: 68
    I'm going on for the third time with my "thunk" on 3-2-2009.
    I have already spoken to a lemon law attorney. He said to let him know what happens after the third time. So far just excuses like "it has to be broken in" and "it's normal for these cars". This time I will try to get them to change something. Maybe it will help a case. I had this problem since I got the car.- (7/2009)
    I reported it when I picked up my plates. I will do my best to get it fixed or give it back.
  • Options
    wayne52wayne52 Member Posts: 26
    If you're referring to me, please note that I'm a registered nurse and have no interest in selling vehicles and certainly no hidden anti-hyundai agenda. I live in Alabama and wish Hyundai nothing but the absolute very best! Roll Tide! I do, however, find it interesting when I read through the posts here. Most are honest and legitimate entries from car buffs, car owners, or car seekers like myself. For those with an axe to grind let them grind. Of greater concern to me is reading the posts that obviously are written by car dealers or sales people to "promote their product" or what I'd like to call the "defense attorneys".

As for me, I've decided to put some more money into my accord and drive it awhile longer - until the stock market settles. A new car can wait.
  • Options
    newowner10newowner10 Member Posts: 227
    Very well stated.
    I have never heard what causes the "Thunk". It would appear that a suspension noise would be easy to trouble shoot. My 2009 does have some noise but I can not determine if mine is one of the good ones or I am just not offended by the noise that others must feel is a safety issue. My car does not dart to the right or the left of shake so It does not bother me. Normally a "Thunk" would be something bottoming out or a binding in the linkage.
  • Options
    jack47jack47 Member Posts: 312
    Does anyone know if the thunk that we sonata owners are enduring also appears on any other of the Hyundai models?

Or is it only on the cars being assembled by robots in the Alabama plant?
  • Options
    targettuningtargettuning Member Posts: 1,371
    It should be pointed out that I currently do not own a Hyundai product although I have had several in the past none were a Sonata. I like Hyundai products in general so if that somehow makes me biased so be it. The front suspension Hyundai uses in the Sonata isn't unique in any way. Most, if not all, auto manufacturers use the same type or a close variation of it on at least some of their competing models. So then, what makes the Sonata "clunk" more than any of the others? The answer is...does it? or has this become a mass hysteria issue much like the Audi unintended acceleration "problem" a decade or two ago. It was never proved that the Audi in question had any inherent problems that would have caused unintended acceleration despite people swearing that the car drove through garage walls, ran over people etc. on its own. I cannot believe that Hyundai would allow this "problem" to continue through three model years uninvestigated and or unimproved. I too have rented various Sonata's in a couple of trim levels and with both engines and of different model years and driven them on Pa.'s generally patched and cratered roads without noticing any excessive noises (except noises any overextended suspension would make dropping into a bottomless pothole). Nope, I see people calling the car "junk" selling a brand new car after a stupid short time all to get rid of this "clunk" and just don't get it. Question, are some people more attuned to certain types of noise and if heard it becomes a big "problem" for them (even though it might be a perfectly acceptable, or normal if you wish, noise produced by the physical/mechanical function of the suspension doing its job)? Answer ....it appears so. Hyundai has always appeared to me to be a company that quickly acknowledges legitimate problems and issues TSB's to rectify them post haste. This was my experience when I owned several Santa Fe's a few years ago so I can't imagine they would abandon their quest as being (and being perceived as)an increasingly quality driven company to ignore, not repair, or otherwise rectify this issue, if indeed it is an issue to other than a few owners and perspective buyers. Yeah, I know I will certainly hear from the few here who absolutely think they hear something amiss, and absolutely loathe what they think they hear to the point of advising others not to buy and trading new cars in and essentially calling the Sonata junk but I still don't buy it.
  • Options
    rhonasrhonas Member Posts: 11
    I do agree with you - I do own a 2009 Sonata (and a 2007 Santa Fe) and do not feel/hear any suspension noises nor problems, and believe me, I am very sensitive to these issues. I owned many cars from different manufacturers including Mazda, Mitsubishi, Toyota and was less satisfied with their products. The Sonata is far better.
  • Options
    Before anyone says "there is no suspension problem" they should ride in a Sonata
    that the owner says has the problem. People who ride in my car can't believe how bad it is. I think you have to be a little nuts to read these posts and make comments about the subject if you don't have a problem and don't even own a Sonata. You should find something more productive to do with you time.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    I drive an '05 Sonata--OK different generation. My experience, after 2 years, was so good my business bought my brother a new '07 Sonata 2 years ago. Neither of these car has a thunk problem.

A friend bought a new '07 Azera and he had no thunk issue UNTIL he read some posts on "townhall." Dealer changed a strut when the car was about 6 months old and he's been happy ever since.

As I asked before, maybe these cars are so quiet that a thumping normal noise which is bound to occur irritates the driver and any passengers who may be trying to listen for it.

My business owned Sonatas are quieter than my parent's '04 Cadillac Sedan Deville.

Maybe other noises in other cars mask whatever the thunk issue is supposed to be. What I've heard, I would describe more as a tire noise from an expansion joint or other road irregularity such as a pothole or raised surface.
  • Options
    Be thankful you don't have the problem.
  • Options
    Well since "rhonas" states that they do indeed own a Sonata your reply must be directed to me. I assure you I am "not a little nuts" nor do I have to own the car to make personal observations. Also, my time management is fine but thanks for the invitation to find something more productive to do with it.
  • Options
    dncbdncb Member Posts: 70
    It is pointless for a non-owner to philosophically ruminate as to whether a thunking problem exists or not based on a car the writer rides in which does NOT seem to exhibit a problem - or two or three or five. There are many owners who experience real problems. It is to those owners looking for real answers to which I addressed this forum in the beginning. Those who are persistently writing on this forum to try to convince others that they do not have a problem or are somehow unreasonable if they say they have one are not helpful to those who genuinely have problems. Please do us all a favor and go to another forum if you must write and save the undoubtedly snappy response to this post because your feathers got ruffled.

To those who genuinely have suspension thunking problems I will say this one last time - then I leave the forum. I have written extensively on the problem on this forum including the shop diagnosis and the fix as pertaining to the front end (although a temporary fix). Also available are fixes for the rear end (actually kits in 06 and earlier models). This forum would be much more help to you if you would read the previous posts rather than posting questions as if the post you read last existed alone and was the only thing said on the subject so far. I've said this before - read the thread from the beginning- screening out the off-subject dross and that of those who just like to pose as authorities without any real information to impart other than their own elevated opinions of whether the issue is an issue or not. There are always self-made authorities in every forum. I spent the time and money to go to the shop and make tools to actuate the suspension one position (left, then right) at a time to different heights while on the lift and stethoscoped the suspension during repeated travel (bump simulation).

I will state it again as I have several times before: The problem (as pertaining to front thunking noise) is in the upper strut mounts - the design, or the design coupled with the installation technique making some worse than others. See earlier posts as to the temporary nature of the fix, the diagnosis technique and the interaction with Hyundai's condescending corporate spokespeople ("Yes, we will replace the front struts and mounts as a gesture of good will, not because we feel there is anything wrong with the car." After the replacement and the problem disappeared I asked corporate how they felt about it now that it had been fixed. She said,"Well, I'm glad you are happy now. Goodbye." And refused to discuss it further. I didn't bother to call back as the problem again began to become evident within 1000 miles and back to its worst after another 7K.

The bottom line, as also previously stated, is that until Hyundai changes the suspension design (which shows no indication) those who are not hard of hearing or unobserving, or ... you name it... and expect a car's suspension not to thunk over bumps (when lightly loaded) should consider another vehicle. You, of course will have to make that call yourself. It probably is not going to get fixed by Hyundai unless you go the legal route (binding arbitration). That is also discussed earlier in this forum. I headed that way, then backed off after the strut mount replacement and local road repaving, and settled on selling the car next year and go back to Toyota.
    Those who just got their backs up in the air and are about to eloquently expound on how they are not hard of hearing or unobserving... blah blah blah. Save it. No one really cares.
    Oh, and one more thing: Consumer Reports now reports "suspension noise" for Sonatas in their synopsis and is not on the "recommended" list. So its not just us "fanatics" I guess. And lets face it I've never had this complaint with any other car I've owned or ridden in that didn't have worn out ball joints from old age.

I'm leaving the forum since I feel I have no more to contribute that hasn't been said in past posts. Good luck and determination to all those who are willing to pursue this issue with Hyundai though arbitration. It is only you who will force the design change. They will not spend the money until it becomes cheaper to change it rather than keep it.
  • Options
    tenpin288tenpin288 Member Posts: 804
    Oh, and one more thing: Consumer Reports now reports "suspension noise" for Sonatas in their synopsis and is not on the "recommended" list.

I have no doubt you are having problems, but please get the above info right. I am a CR subscriber and just checked their ratings from the April 2009 auto issue that is already online. The 09 Sonata is still on their recommended list. Regarding that "dreaded thunk", this is a direct quote from their summary:

The ride is comfortable, but can become buoyant on highway undulations. Handling is secure but not agile, with noticeable body lean and little steering feedback. Suspension noise intrudes.

I am sure if that "suspension noise" they experienced was the "dreaded thunk", they would have said so and the Sonata would not be on the recommended list. I don't mean to diminish your problems, just wanted to point out a factual error in your assertions. ;)
  • Options
    I'm sorry to hear you will not be back to this forum. You have been the most helpful person here. I have read all your posts from the beginning. I have the list of parts that were changed from your post. I'm still not sure if the struts were changed. They're not in the list but then you said they were changed in the next post. I will be back at the dealer on 3-2-2009. I will be trying to get them to do this work. If they don't fix it I'll be calling back the N.J. lemon law attorney I spoke to and take it from there.
    Thanks for all the help.
  • Options
    gslav1gslav1 Member Posts: 23
    Hello, suspension noise like sonata's have is not acceptable in this day and age.

I have driven cars with the same type of suspension with no undo noise, dating back 30 years. there is a big problem with Hyundai's suspension!!
  • Options
    aqua33v6aqua33v6 Member Posts: 38
    Got it... just as you've mentioned in 4 other posts since October 2008:

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12cdbc/176!keywords=#176

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12cdbc/227!keywords=#227

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f12cdbc/247!keywords=#247

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/direct/view/.f16bb6f/773!keywords=#773

In the first post back in October, you mentioned how the car bounces over bumps, wanders all over the road above 50 MPH, and vibrates at over 65 MPH. My question to you is:

How did you not notice all these things when you test drove the car?

Wandering all over the road, as you claimed, would be a safety issue. Did you report this to the NHTSA?

In this most recent post, you say "there is a big problem with Hyundai's suspension" in regards to "undo suspension noise." What about the other issues you've claimed to have? Did those other suspension problems just happen to disappear since October?

My Sonata's suspension performs well in all regards. There is NOT a big problem with Hyundai's suspension. I'm sorry, did I just state my personal opinion as if it were fact? I'll have to work on that. ;)
  • Options
    I was unable to bring my car in on 3-2-09 due to snow.
    I will make a new appointment and report the results.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    do I smell a fire here? :surprise:
  • Options
    What does that mean?
  • Options
    jlindhjlindh Member Posts: 282
    How about, "Where there's smoke...."?
  • Options
    huntet02huntet02 Member Posts: 7
    responding to this Thread as I bought a new/used 2006 Sonata GLS last night and hearing and feeling a small vibration in the front end(seems like its more in the drivers side but not sure). Took back to dealer today to have them look at they say they will look at it first and if problems are found send it on to Hyundai for further repairs. I told them that I really wanted it sent to Hyundai since I found all these "thunk" issues mentioned as well as 6 recalls that I would like looked at by Hyundai.
    Hope this all turns out to be something thats minor but refuse to remain ignorant so i'm following these suspension comments/posts to know what I might expect in future with this new car.
  • Options
    craigbrookscraigbrooks Member Posts: 420
    This sounds like a tire balance issue. Don't be too hard on the selling dealership. I have an 06 Sonata....there are six recalls on these models? The only "recalls" I'm aware of is the seat back recliner lever and the airbag light issue. Are there more I should be concened with? TSB's don't count as recalls.
  • Options
    mrmoose53mrmoose53 Member Posts: 4
    Hi I'm looking at a 08 Sonata Limited with 3300 miles for $12,500 . I'm looking to see if anyone had trouble with this year and model.Any input would be great. THANX
  • Options
    Drive it over all the bumps and pot holes you can find before you buy.
    A one year old car with 3300 miles! The person who got rid of it must have hated
    driving it as much as I hate driving my 2009. I have less than 3800 miles.
    I wish I never head of the Sonata.
  • Options
    If you read all the posts from the beginning you will see that there are 2008 Sonata owners with the same suspension problem.
  • Options
    Had my third trip to the dealer to have the suspension on my 2009 Sonata looked at. Same answers as before. They said there is nothing wrong with the car. It's normal for these cars to have a stiff ride. Guess I'll call the lemon law lawyer back and see what they think they can do for me.
  • Options
    JohnNWJohnNW Member Posts: 25
    Interesting - the discussion about suspension issues on the Sonata sound EXACTLY like the issue some of us have had/are having with the Genesis.

I can tell you that about two years ago I drove a 2007 Sonata loaner when my 2002.5 Santa Fe was in for one of it's many warranty repairs/recalls. - it was a nice, smooth ride. I remember liking it. Then, last month when I had my Genesis at the dealer due to its' abysmal ride quality I was given a 2009 Sonata as a loaner and it was OK. Then, a couple weeks later when I decided I wanted to trade in my Genesis I test drove another 2009 Sonata and the ride was horrible - not as bad as my Genesis but almost. Same on the 2009 Santa Fe I test drove - awful. My 2002.5 Santa Fe rode great actually (at least when it was running). I think something has happened to the recent (2008 and above?) Hyundai suspensions that is manifesting on at least some of the cars, some roads ,etc. There seems to be variability between vehicles and model years.
  • Options
    The ride in my 2009 Sonata is horrible.
    I have a lemon law attorny working on this problem for me.
  • Options
    backybacky Member Posts: 18,949
    Interesting - the discussion about suspension issues on the Sonata sound EXACTLY like the issue some of us have had/are having with the Genesis.

To me, these sound like totally different situations. From what I can see, some owners are reporting that the suspension of the Genesis is too firm for their taste. There is not a complaint about noise, but about firmness/harshness over rough roads. That is a big contrast to what is being said by some owners about the Sonata's suspension; the predominant complaint there is noise. The only similarity between the two situations seems to be that the issue appears only with some owners, not all.
  • Options
    I have read a bunch of posts about "Lemon" laws. Has anyone ever been successful with this approach? It would appear that the car must not perform its expected duty as a car to be a lemon. If the thunk is a safety issue or the car can not be driven isn't that what the lemon law is for?
  • Options
    Just google it and read about the how it works and what it's for.
    A lemon law attorney is taking my case. If you think you car is all right
    it really doesn't apply to your car.
  • Options
    What I was trying to see as a curiosity was has anyone ever received their money back or a new car. My car is fine and I am happy with it so far
  • Options
    The firm I'm dealing with said they sometimes get refunds for the car.
    They also get them to do something about a problem that the companies will
    not address. The suspension noise seems to be affecting a good number of cars.
    They seem to not want to deal with it. The firm I'm with says I'm one of three people
    they are trying to help with the same problem. I got my Sonata in New Jersey. So, I have a New Jersey lemon law lawyer.
    Do you own a 2009 Sonata? How would you discribe the ride over bumps and pot holes?
  • Options
    I would say it makes a louder noise than I would expect. A manhole cover sounds like a pothole in my estimation. It does not effect the drivablity of the car. It does not pull left or right or bounce. So I see it as an annoyance not a "Lemon Issue". Since so many cars appear to have this noise it is in my estimation "normal for the car". This is an inexpensive car not a Lexus so my expectations are lower
  • Options
    I don't think anyone who has posted here expects a Sonata to rise like a Lexus.
    "Normal for the car" is exactly what the dealer likes to say.
    I have been in many cars in the same class. None of them sound like my Sonata.
    The car I replaced was a 16 year old grand prix. It was much quieter over bumps and pot holes and man hole covers than my Sonata. Maybe yours is better. They are not all the same. I had a fellow take a ride with me who has the same car. He said in mine you feel everything. He said it felt like it had no suspension. So, if you think you car is alright why do you think someone else is expecting more than they should. Why would you even want to make a post here? If your happy with your car drive on.
  • Options
    bhmr59bhmr59 Member Posts: 1,601
    You have been so persistent (I don't mean that negatively) in your complaint that your car must have a problem.

Perhaps the lemon law is the best way to persue this problem. I just read the first page of reviews going back to 2/11/09 (shown to the right of messages) and of the 10 reviews on that page, the only mention of the "thunk" was someone saying they did not have the thunk they had heard about.
  • Options
    Sort the reviews from lowest rated to highest. The first three talk about the
    suspension problems. I stopped reading after that. There may be more.
  • Options
    The discussion is about the "Thunk" not people who hate their Sonata and want to return it. My question is as anyone had any success with the "Lemon Law" on this complaint. I have not seen a post from anyone saying they had their money refunded or were given a new car.
  • Options
    pops59pops59 Member Posts: 1
    Hello bobisnext:
    I just purchased a 2009 Sonata about 10 weeks ago. I am experiencing the same "thunking" noise that you describe so well in your blog. I have been trying to get the dealership to acknowlege the noise and replace the front struts. I know that you had some sucess in resolving this issue. Can you tell me if just replacing the struts and mounts did the trick, or did they have to do something more extensive ?????. I have not heard anyone to date tht described my suspension issue better than you email from June 08. Any information would be helpful . Thanks
  • Options
    comet64comet64 Member Posts: 12
    I have a 2007 Sonata Limited. Shortly after purchasing the vehicle (new), I had the dealership address the issue. They replaced something (strut, bracket, whatever, ???). This helped somewhat, but did not eliminate the problem. The thunk has since returned and it is as bad as it ever was. I've given up and resolved myself to the fact that Hyundai cannot or will not address the issue. It's a shame, because I really like everything else about the vehicle, however, I will not purchase another Hyundai product.
  • Options
    Yes, the discussion is about the "thunk" and having something done about it. That's how the "lemon law" attorney comes in. They will help to get Hyundai to do
    something about it. If you don't have the problem your just wasting space here.
  • Options
    The person you are trying to contact has left the discussion. If you read all his posts he had a list in one of them of the parts that were replaced on both sides.
    However, he also said that the noise returned after 7,000 miles. I have a lemon law attorney helping me.
  • Options
    So then, if I don't have a late model Sonata, I cannot comment? Or... if I DO have a late model Sonata and either it doesn't "thunk" OR if it does and I don't think it is the end of the world because it does I can't comment? Since when has this thread become your private "lets compare notes on lemon laws" site? Kind of an arrogant comment that you've made below don't you think?.
    . "If you don't have the problem your just wasting space here."
  • Options
    You must have nothing better to do.
    Comment all you want.
  • Options
    LASHAWNLASHAWN Member Posts: 303
    I have a 2006 Sonata LX. It now has 57k miles on it and the only real thing I did not like about this car was to noises you hear and feel over bumpy roads. It's not something that has really got me all bent out shape over, I mean the warranty lasts until 60k miles so if need be I'll take to dealer and have my buddy the Hyundai Tech replace my struts. I could not say this bothers me because since owning this car the only warranty claims on it were for a faulty horn and mirror switch. Anyway can't wait to trade in for new Genesis sedan. Go Hyundai.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    All comments are welcome here assuming that they are about the car. One doesn't have to have a particular problem to comment on it, and others are free to ignore comments they don't feel are relevant.

One thing we will insist on, though, is that personal comments be avoided. Thanks for your cooperation.
  • Options
    So to date has anyone had any luck with the "Lemon Law"?
    That is a question not a statement.
  • Options
    I will post when I hear from my attorney
  • Options
    JohnNWJohnNW Member Posts: 25
    Not at all - I'm looking at many right here who mention bad ride - not just noise. Granted noise comes up a lot.
  • Options
    vinngvinng Member Posts: 12
    the 2009 hyundai sonata is a really really bad car. Clunk, clank, thunk piece of junk. Not only noisy, but poor steering and bad struts. I got rid of it 3 months after I bought it. I wonder what the 2009 sonata will ride like in 2 years, noises never get better they increase with time. After taking that car back to hyundai 3 or 4 times I was told that the noise was normal. I am a 69 year old man whose been driving almost 50 years. I've driven everything from semi's to heavy trucks and some 20 year old guy is telling me this noise is normal.The trucks were much eaiser and better riding. PLEASE DON'T BUY A 2009 SONATA DO YOURSELF A FAVOR