Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mercedes-Benz C-300 2008+

Comments

• jrct9454jrct9454 Member Posts: 2,363
    Basically, the guidelines haven't changed all that much - for the first 1000 miles or so:

-Avoid full throttle
    -Try to keep the rpm below 4-5000
    -Vary rpm at highway speeds [try to avoid steady speeds at the same engine rpm for extended periods]

It's really hard to abuse these engines - a little common sense is all that's necessary. After 1000 miles or so, feel free to let it rip....
  • lkmc01lkmc01 Member Posts: 8
    If I recall, the owner's manual outlines a pretty specific break-in period. Tells you to leave it in comfort mode too (as opposed to sport mode) - It is a little hard to resist kicking it in a bit.
  • be325be325 Member Posts: 91
    Since we bought the car in December, we've been putting regular and car runs very well. We had 2000 E-320 before and we never used anything else but regular gas.
    Long time ago the guys from Car Talk (Saturday PBS station) stated that there were no real benefits of using premium .... even if was recommended.
    We didn't experience any long-term negatives in the past 8 years using regular gas.
    Any similar experiences? ..... Cost of gas is not the issue.
    Acura models recommend premium but regular is OK for Honda.
  • samh388samh388 Member Posts: 1
    Thanks for the information.
    I have been wondering if I can do this but not brave enough to try. I have had other cars also recommend high test and have used reg. gas and had no problems. I have the 300 C 4matic since Jan, so far a great car.
    Mercedes requires you to use premium in their gasoline cars. They will run on regular because the computer dials back the timing, and the result is slightly less power, slightly MORE fuel used, and the risk of more carbon buildup from inferior detergent content. If you really think this is worth 20-25 cents a gallon, do it. I'm left to wonder, however, why you aren't just driving a car that uses regular and costs less to buy and own in the first place.

At the pump prices in our area, the difference between regular and premium is about 5%; since your fuel mileage will be reduced by about 2-3%, you're left with 2-3% savings....utterly pointless.
  • ghstudioghstudio Member Posts: 972
    I am going to boldly step in and I can already hear the fingers typing the flaming response.

I lease my cars...and I am not worried about carbon buildup in that short time. I have never actually found a difference in gas mileage between using regular and premium fuel...and I have run four tankfuls of both to compare the results. Since I have never floored the gas on any car, if there is a slight decrease to the pep, I don't see it.

If I owned the car or noticed a difference (knock/ping) I would burn premium....or at least I would burn premium every few tankfuls...I'd probably burn the medium grade fuel normally.
    We all have our reasons for doing what we do. I like your post.
    I don't understand this mindset, but as I said, it's your car and your business. I don't want to buy your used car, but that's another issue....
    Ah...so you want to buy the car driven by the little old lady who only used it to drive to the drug store.

If you are buying a used car, you have absolutely no idea who drove it. It could have been me...or it could have been that guy who took the brand new car and floored it at every light and screeched to a halt at the next light completely ignoring all break in recommendations. How about those used cars from the car rental places where they don't do any real maintenance, they are driven thru pothole after pothole, and have never ever seen premium gas.

Believe me...you really do want my car. I break it in correctly, I put on gentle wear and yes, I burned regular gas...but if you want to run premium, the computer will adjust almost immediately.
    Sorry, didn't know how to paste the link.
    It states, among other things, that most experts agree that regular or mid-grade is OK in luxury cars.
    .......The number of new vehicle models that either require higher octane fuel or run better on it has risen steadily to 282 this year, from 166 in the 2002 model year, said Robyn Echard, a spokeswoman for Kelley Blue Book, an auto pricing guide........from the article.
    One wonders why?

Very interesting how passionately others feel about the issue of Regular vs. Premium.
    Please keep sharing and explaining why regular is OK.
    The point is, the manufacturer says that premium fuel is required - not optional. OK?

Most Toyotas [ and Lexus ] that make more power with premium come with the statement from Toyota that LOWER OCTANE IS OK, as long as you don't care about the extra hp. BMW and Mercedes and Honda [ some Acuras ] are crystal clear about what they have designed the engine to use - for them, premium fuel is not about power or economy, but the long-term health of the engine.

I've owned 50+ cars since 1962, and always follow the car maker's requirements for fuel. Most have used regular happily, but I have never compromised when the owner's manual is explicit and uncompromising.

As always, do what you feel is best - but this is not a case of some "conspiracy" to make you spend more money than you should. From my perspective, if this is a deal breaker, focus on a make that is designed to use regular - there are certainly plenty of them out there.
  • cdnpinheadcdnpinhead Member Posts: 5,495
    ". . .focus on a make that is designed to use regular - there are certainly plenty of them out there."

Absolutely true, but you're overlooking something that's very, very (very) important in this segment (and many others): People can see if you're driving a, let's say, "less expensive" car. They can't tell if you're cutting corners in order to afford the fuel for it.

Appearances are what count. Otherwise the car leasing business would be a fraction of the size it is -- only makes financial sense if you can write it off for business.

There used to be a town in the White Mountains of Arizona called McNary. It was a lumber mill town built by Southwest Forest Industries, and there were more Cadillacs in front of shacks in that little settlement than I'd ever seen before or ever have since, not that I've looked too hard lately. I don't need to -- I spend time on these boards.

Some things never change.
    '08 Acura TSX, '17 Subaru Forester
    Appearances are what count?

If you say so.....
    Wouldn't be nice if one of those engineers from Lexus, MB or Acura shared her/his expertise .....for those of us who get most of our mechanical wisdom at Panera Bread Coffee Shop ... or those who are 'told' by their mechanic - who in turn heard about regular vs. premium issue - in his lunch room ........
    People who spent time in the lab testing the differences would do us a big service. Maybe then we would know something 'for sure'?
    Let's remember, this is a discussion and let's not make fun of others who may have a different view.
  • ikramericaikramerica Member Posts: 101
    For all the experts saying Regular will ruin your car, consider this.

I bought my C280 4Matic via the European delivery program. In the EU, I was allowed to fill up with Regular gas. Yes, all MBs are allowed to run on 87 in the EU. I had to sign a paper that said that I understood that when the car was sent to the USA, the timing would be adjusted so that it would require Premium gasoline, and that I promised to comply. Seriously. I have still have my copy of the form.

Why, one might ask, does a Mercedes in the EU run on Regular and that same car, when transported to the USA, get retimed for Premium? Emissions standards. The MBs don't meet the standard correctly with Regular. It's not carbon build up, or anything like that. Modern engine computers are designed to constantly adjust the fuel mixture to get proper combustion. The timing may not be ideal, but that's not going to hurt a modern car. You won't have lots of carbon build up on your valves. But you won't meet emissions standards either, and if MB didn't require that you used Premium, they couldn't sell their cars here.

I have been using premium for the first 3 years of ownership (except the 1000 miles in the EU I drove, where it was Regular), but that is when it was only 19-20 cents more. Now that gas stations have gouged the price up to 40+ cents, I'm going to try it on the next two fill ups. Then try "Plus" for a couple, and see if I can tell the difference. But I know I won't damage the car.
    Has anyone lost the plastic black door-knob (push/pull in emergency) in the process of locking the car!
    We have the auto locking programed in. The other day we had a small child in the back seat who couldn't wait until the car stopped and the driver unlocked the doors. Well, the child pulled up the knob to unlock the her door and the knob came off. The knob cannot be reinstalled securely and pops up every time the car is locked (the knob does not go deep enough). No big deal, we drive without it as we rarely have passengers. Normally, the door knob would bring the rod up and unlock the car... or be pushed in to lock.
    Has anyone had this problem?
    Thanks
    I am not getting any answer from the dealer (everyone very busy helping other customers) so I want put this question to the forum: How do you program locking/unlocking features in 2008 C-300 so that the passenger can open/unlock her door after the car came to a stop and the driver didn't unlock the doors yet (the doors locked automatically after reaching 9 mph)? Unless you pull the door knob up you can't open the door using simply the door handle.
    ....... One culd do away with auto locking.
    Thanks.
  • soplushsoplush Member Posts: 29
    I was all set to not look at the Benz since it says it requires premium...you made my day.
    YES. I made a post earlier on this. My kids pulled off the door lock covers in the rear and when I examined them - there were stress fractures. I took it to the dealer and they actually replaced the entire locking mechanisms in both rear doors - apparently, there is stress too in the locking mechanism itself. The dealer is aware of this problem if you take it in. Hope this helps!!!
  • svehlak34svehlak34 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the forum and am currently trying to buy a C300 Sport. 2009 Prices were just released this week and I'm wanting to put a deposit down and get one of the first. I'm in the Dallas area. Any idea where I might get the best deal, even if it means driving to get it? I'm looking for C300 Sport, Steel gray w/black mb-tex interior. Automatic, P2 and Multimedia Pkg and I want to add the rear spolier.
  • wrs2wrs2 Member Posts: 2
    Brakes Squealing at 5000 miles,the same as they did at 1500 miles! When I took it to the Dealer at 1500 mi. they changed the pads and resurfaced the rotors(thought this would solve the problem. WRONG!! Taking it back to them again on the July 30. Does anyone have a FIX for this problem? OH YES,My car gets washed weekly!!
  • rlm51rlm51 Member Posts: 21
    Haven't heard the brake squeaking noises since the maintenance. Am just coming up on 4500 miles.

Only thing that I notice is what I would consider an inordinate amount of dirt (brake dust?) on the front rims. The rims are almost black between washings. I was at the dealer yesterday and they sell something called wheel wax. Reading the description, sounded to me like the wax was made just for that purpose. Maybe I will try some sort of protectant and see what happens.

Also, my C300 Sport is driven almost exclusively on short, frequent trips.

Good luck,

Bob in the Mile High city
  • gerrysalmegerrysalme Member Posts: 8
    Good evening:
    What is the msrp, invoice on the c300 luxury sedan with p2 and multi-media 4matic? What monthly payment am I looking at on either a 27 or 36 month lease 12k? I can eliminate the all wheel drive from the equation to lower my monthly payment. I live in northern nj. I'm not sure if there are any '08 left..
    Feedback will be greatly appreciated.
  • scottwfuscottwfu Member Posts: 5
    If it is a relief for anyone here, I too had the same problem, paid for new pads, only for it to come back a day or two afterward. It came back off and on a few times, but I already have 35k miles on my 2008 C300 and it has not been heard in 4000 now. Hopefully, it is gone now, but who knows.....Other than that ABSOLUTELY NO problems.
  • srvlonghornsrvlonghorn Member Posts: 15
    Did anyone pay the dealer for window tinting on their C-Class? I was told it is $275. Or did you go to a 3rd party window tinter? How much did they cost?

Thanks.
    I mentioned some time ago that we lost the plastic door-lock knob (2008 C-300). Service at Mercedes told me that there will be no charge for the service (to re-install the button). Apparently this is a bigger job than I thought because they want to keep our car all day.
    I remember that one of the person on the forum wrote that the dealer replaced the whole system due to known mechanical 'stresses'. I thought that the button came off when the passanger tried to unlock her door ..... because ......it wasn't glued properly or something. Perhaps the passenger had to pull very hard because the button was stuck? .... more than it should?
    I'll be more enlightened on Friday and let you know what happened.
    This has become a known issue - people are breaking the back door lock pins with regularity, and the design makes the fix more complex than it should be.

I expect Mercedes to address this in the future, but probably not before the 2010 model year. In the meantime, be warned to unlock the rear doors electronically - pulling up on the pins can be risky behavior.
  • sawyercsawyerc Member Posts: 13
    Hi all. This is my first post to the forum. I have had my C300 Lux Edition for about 3 months and love it. It is fun to drive and it passed the comfort test as I drove it to the East Coast which is about 12 hours driving the speed limit. It is very easy to creep up in speed with this car and the 4 matic. Very easy on the curves, hills and straight aways. I get a new car about every 2-3 years and this one is a keeper as long as the first year bugs don't cause me to think different. Speaking of bugs. The express close on the sunroof is not working. This is the 2nd time I have had to take it in. The first time the express open and closed stopped working. This time the express open works but I need to keep my finger on the close button and it studders closed. Anyone have a fix I can try. I tried "re-aligning" it like the owner manual suggests. That worked one time but then it happened again. Does anyone have any suggestions that are not in the owners manual or short of taking it to the dealer?
    You need to return to the dealer - there is a software fix for the sunroof problems, and failing that, they may want to replace some hardware. There should be a Service Bulletin out on the problem you describe - ask your service adviser to check.
  • benzmanbenzman Member Posts: 4
    I have a 2004 C320 4-Matic that has had no problems--NONE. It will be 5 yrs old in Jan. Driven it to Fla 2 times, Ga 2 times , Vt, etc. It gets 20mpg putting around town and 30+ mpg on the highway at 80mph in complete safety and luxury. This is my 3rd Benz and would highly recommend to everyone.
    P. S. The Dealer has been great to deal with also.
  • srvlonghornsrvlonghorn Member Posts: 15
    I have just purchased a C300 Sport and I am picking up my plates this week. In Texas it is the law to have a license plate in the front and back. I think it is a travesty to drill holes in the front of the car. Does anybody know if this law to put a license plate on the front is enforced?

Thanks.
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Can't say about Texas in particular, but it is required and enforced in Washington because that's where they aim the laser. Gotta make revenue. :mad:
  • jimmyp1969jimmyp1969 Member Posts: 5
    Here you go...

http://www.gominigo.com/NHLPB-MB.html

We installed it on my girlfriend's 2008 C300 6MT Sport. Works great. Goes into the towhook spot. Don't get the idea in your head that you can make the kit yourself, as the MB threads are proprietary. I found this out after visiting a few machine / bolt shops.

Hope this helps,

Jim
    So I live in Texas and I have a C300 sport and did NOT put the plates on my car. It is a law in Texas, but if you look at the Service Center at the Mercedes Dealership - only about half the cars have a front plate. Totally legitimate to pull you over, but I've had NO problems AT ALL and log a LOT of miles around Texas. I keep the plates in my trunk...
  • christo2626christo2626 Member Posts: 2
    Well I have never leased before, but I was referred to this theleaseoutlet.com by a friend. They seem to have some really low monthly payments on http://www.theleaseoutlet.com/Auto/Mercedes_Lease_Specials.aspx. Like I said, I haven't leased before but I do hope you find the info helpful.........cheers :shades:
  • jimmyp1969jimmyp1969 Member Posts: 5
    Well, we live in Houston, and she got a ticket in the first two weeks after she got plates. It's usually an add-on to a speeding ticket, which was the situation with her ticket. So, since she was unwilling to drill holes in the front bumper, we went with the solution I posted above. But, good luck.
  • madd66madd66 Member Posts: 28
    I'm in the DFW area too and the dealer I went to today didn't have a good deal at all. The MF the quoted me for a 36mo 12K (premium pkg, tech pkg) lease was at .0045 which is utterly ridiculous since it's around 10.8%! The residual was around 56-58% - I think (my eye caught the MF and I focused on that number). When I told them to recalculate based on a tier 1 credit, they came back and told me this was the tier 1 credit rate.

Seriously....0045...I just laughed and walked out.
    Hey, for those out there wondering about the MF and residual (like I was) on the 2009 models I found the following on MB world discussions (http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/showthread.php?t=256606)...not the greatest deals but better than what the dealership in DFW quoted me today (for a 2008 models - honestly how are they going to clear out their inventory with MF rates at .0045)?

2009 Mercedes C300 Luxury
    24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00245 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00265 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 46% of MSRP – .00265 Base Rate
    60 Month – Residual 40% of MSRP – .00350 Base Rate

2009 Mercedes C300 Luxury 4matic
    24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00235 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00255 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 46% of MSRP – .00255 Base Rate

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport
    24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00245 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00265 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00265 Base Rate

2009 Mercedes C300 Sport 4matic
    24 Month – Residual 67% of MSRP – .00235 Base Rate
    36 Month – Residual 56% of MSRP – .00255 Base Rate
    48 Month – Residual 47% of MSRP – .00255 Base Rate
  • wsh396wsh396 Member Posts: 2
    Just got back from a dealer on Long Island, NY and left a deposit on a 2008 C 300 Sport with pana roof, Option P2, Auto, Multimedia, Paladium silver @ $36,500. It was hard to find another C300 Sport, with lower options. Was this a good deal?
    36K sounds like a good deal for that level of trim. If you're leasing I'd be interested in what they offered you in terms of MF (I also ask for their buy rate as well to see how much they are marking it up), residual and inception fees. I was quoted around 38K in Texas for P1, Auto and multimedia but won't be looking at this car due to the dealer quoting a ridiculous MF (and I'm in the tier 1 category!).
  • wsh396wsh396 Member Posts: 2
    I inquired about a lease, but Leasing really doesen't work well on the 08's. The leasing price on the 09's was very high as well, no special deals and the interest rate isnt very good either. Purchasing is the best deal, if you have access to cash or low financing from other sources. For Purchase the Discount on the 09 was about 1k off MSRP, where the discount off the 08 was 2.5k off INVOICE. I thnk that one could get 4k for invoice on an 08 C350.
    Hey, thanks for the information. I'm glad to hear I wasn't getting the run around. I like to lease (since my cars are always in warranty) so it's going to be either BMW or Lexus for this car.
    So I was at the dealer today, nice car the C300 4matic. P1 package and all the goodies, about $40K.

Before I buy, can you tell me if you like your car? I read through the board and a few people did express how much they did like the car but just two that I could find. Are you guys enjoying the car? Did you compare it to the 328xi? Same price really.

Would love to hear your impressions!
    We took delivery of the first W204 in the NW region on Aug 9, 2007. Ours is a C300 Lux [I hate the look of the AMG add-ons on the Sport, and I don't like staggered wheels, so the Sport was not an option], and now has about 9500 miles.

I've owned 15 Mercedes, and 38 other cars since 1962, and the new C is the best we've had - smooth, quiet, quick, responsive, comfortable, and reasonable fuel use [though I would have preferred the new twin-turbo 4 cyl diesel - maybe 2010]. We have had no issues and no problems. It is a wonderful long-distance tourer, which is precisely why I picked this car.

The BMW competition [E90 3er] has a couple of things that I really go out of my way to avoid, the most important of which is the mandatory run-flat tires, which I hate. It was also moderately noisier when we tested it, which I also attribute to the run-flats. No one who picks the BMW would get a serious argument from me - it really depends on what you value most. I don't need a "sports sedan" - if you do, your choice might be different.

The Lexus IS didn't compete - its back seat is so tight as to be unusable...trunk space also too small for our trips.

In short, I think the W204 C is a great choice. Ours has been everything I wanted except 40 mpg. That will have to wait for the latest diesel, if they ever decide to sell it here.
    Thank you for your impressions, I am even more excited now than I was when I test drove the car yesterday. I drove both the Lux and Sport, I found the Sport to be harsher but less sway hard cornering. Since I don't do a lot of hard cornering and I (like you) prefer the looks of the lux version better, that's the one I am interested in most.

I liked most how the cabin felt secure, quiet and comfortable. I think the electronics are a fantastic and I love the looks of the car. The acceleration is OK, it's not a sports car and the "reported" MPG is something I can live with, but hoped for better. Maybe the diesel you talk about can help when I return the car in 3 yrs, after the lease expires.

I was also pleased to hear you had no mechanical problems, which for many has been a problem with the older MB's. I have owned 6 MB's and never really had an issue.

I too have owned a lot of wonderful cars in my life, my all time favorite car was my 1996 S500, which was a dream on wheels.

I look forward to hearing about other's impression of the car as well.
    We agree with ALL what jrct9454 wrote ..... our car meets all our needs and looks good to us.
    We only have 3000 miles on our 2008 c-300 Lux. We didn't like all the stuff the Sport come with (aluminum trim inside, the pedals, etc.) We did put the sport grille on because we like it .... the other grille is OK.
    We looked at IS, BMW-3 and TL. C-300 has a fresh look (to us).
    We only had 1 minor thing (with the loose door knob) which the dealer promptly took care of (Lokey in Clearwater, FL). They even replaced (at no charge) the driver's armrest (because of a little imperfection) and gave us a new c-300 sport for a loaner. I think ours rides better.
    I agree the lux rides better than the sport. Sounds great to hear you are enjoying the car and the dealer is treating you well. Herb Chambers is the dealer here in MA, they are usually very customer responsive.
    Don't fall for the low monthly payment with a large up front cost trick. If you want to compare lease deals, add up all the costs...initial down payment, any dealer charges, origination/bank fees and the monthly costs over the life of the lease...then divide by the number of months.

If you are quoted a $300 monthly payment on a 24 month lease with $4800 down, then your real monthly cost is $300 + (4800/24) = $500 a month.

Dealers just love to advertise and quote deals with low monthly costs and high down payments....because most just look at the monthly payments. Don't fall for that...be a smart buyer.
  • 604doc604doc Member Posts: 182
    Plus, it's not a good idea to put money down to reduce the cap cost on a lease. If you drive off the lot and the car is totaled, the insurance will only pay off what's owed to the bank. Your down payment would be lost.
    Insurance doesn't work that way.....insurance pays the fair market value of the car at the time of the loss. It doesn't matter if you own it outright or you owe someone for a loan or lease.....What they pay has nothing to do with the down payment.

However, if you lease the car and you total it, the "fair market value" paid by the insurance company may be less than you owe the leasing company. This is covered by the gap insurance provided in most leases. But, if you've paid money up front, then that's used to pay the gap....not the insurance.

Hopefully, you won't total your car, so it doesn't matter...but if you do, you will likely lose your total up front payment.

The other reason not to make an up front payment is something that most folks leasing don't know about. It's called "multiple security deposits"....and it's a much better use of that money. In return for your loaning the leasing company multiple security deposits, they will reduce the money factor on the lease. Yes, Mercedes leases have this option. It's a security deposit so you get the money back at the end of the lease.

You have to work out the numbers with your dealer....but in general, multiple security deposits pay you 8-12% on the money you loan (not the entire lease) by saving you money on each payment because of the lower Money Factor. That's far better than you can do keeping that money in a bank. The only reason you wono't get the money back is if you have damage to the car when you return it, but you have to pay for that no matter if you have multiple security deposits or no security deposits.