Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Jeep Wrangler

Comments

• Options
    erickplerickpl Member Posts: 2,735
    Well, I've fit 2 adults in the back of my TJ. It was cozy, but they did fit.

Perhaps the best thing to do would be to take a car seat and a booster seat to the dealer and try it out. If they want to sell you one, they'll help you with testing it out.

It is a matter of security, so they should understand and appreciate your concerns.

-Paul
  • Options
    mtngalmtngal Member Posts: 1,911
    I have no idea, but I would guess that they would fit width-wise. The one thing I would say, though, is that getting anything that weighs much in and out of the back seat is not particularly easy and probably hard on the back.

It may be my imagination, but it seems like it is harder with the Unlimited than with the Sport - though that could be the difference between the seats in a '98 (Sport that hasn't had a back seat in it for several years) and an '04 (Unlimited). Before I totally set my heart on the Unlimited, I would definitely take both child seats to a dealer and try them out. The whole front seat tilts forward, but there seems to be a bunch of real estate between the door and the back seat, making it difficult to reach. Since I'm small, I just climb in when I'm unloading something - something that my husband can't manage well (but then he has a much longer reach).

I haven't checked out the re-designed Tacoma, but I know that the Wrangler's seats are a HUGE improvement over the old Tacoma seats. I couldn't wait to replace my 2000 Tacoma with an Unlimited.
  • Options
    redrocker15redrocker15 Member Posts: 102
    Ditto to Paul's comments. This group is very helpful; I hope to contribute at some meager level in the future.

I had a fun experience tonight (not like Turkey Bay or anything, but still made my day). I stopped at a grocery store on my way home. As I went back to my Jeep (Yep, Mac, it is a '98), a car with a mom/son pulled in next to me. The boy was about 5 years old I'd guess, and was partially opening his door to get out. As I walked up, he stopped and hesitated, so I said "Howdy". He smiled as his Mom came around to help him out, and said "Mom! He's got a Jeep!" Actually he said this twice, with a big ol' grin on his face, just in case Mom missed it the first time. He clearly thinks a Jeep Wrangler is pretty darned cool; I doubt he has ever said "Mom! He's got a Volvo/BMW/Oldsmobile!"

Not that there's anything wrong with a Volvo/BMW/Oldsmobile - - but it just ain't a Jeep! I look for him to show up on this site in 11-12 years, and Tom, Mac, Twylie and all you others will steer him right! Thanks!
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    I have a jeep AND a volvo.

jts
  • Options
    jbonejbone Member Posts: 35
    Thanks for the input - it almost sounds like its worth considering a std wheelbase wrangler then and not the Unlimited? I was thinking of the increased cargo space for my work needs, and the leg room for the kids as they get bigger so I naturally assumed the Unlimited would work. My oldest can climb in herself but the younger one I have to put in the seat. I love the Rubi, but am having a hard time convincing the wife that the kids'll be safe in a Wrangler around town...

Just got the '05 Tacoma brochure in the mail today and I cannot see the appeal of the new body with all those weird angles - plus I read on a Tacoma forum that a guy took his new 05 Taco out wheelin where he went many times before with his previous Taco, and the supposedly indestructible composite (read: plastic) bed cracked! Needless to say the Taco is now at the bottom of the list.

I would love to go to the dealer to drive a Wrangler, but we are no where near ready to buy at this time, so as a scientist, I am collecting data in the mean time! Plus there are no 05 wranglers here at our local dealer (small town) yet.

Glad to hear about the updated seats.
  • Options
    tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    The thing about Jeeps is that you HAVE to drive them to appreciate what they really are. They are ABSOLUTELY, POSITIVELY the most fun vehicles in the world!

I was the world's worst about trading cars all the time. I would get a brand new car and be all excited about it for about six months, then the trading fever would start all over.

When I bought Thelma Jane (my 01 Sport), I was buying my THIRD brand new vehicle in 21 months!!!! Obviously, I couldn't keep up that pace, since I got more and more upside down on each one when it came time to trade it in.

I was $8000 upside down on trade-in on the Grand Prix that I had just bought eight months earlier when I bought Thelma Jane. I took out a home equity loan to cover $6000 of that $8000 deficit. The other $2000 went on the loan for Thelma Jane. Stupid? You Betcha it was! But, that's how bad I had Wrangler Fever. Do I regret doing it? NOT ONE TEENY WEENY BIT! I love my Jeep.

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

Now, I am just as excited about Thelma Jane as I was the day I got her. This same guy who always got tired of a new vehicle within six months is still all fired up over the Jeep he bought four years ago!!!! I have no desire at all to trade Thelma Jane!

Don't be too "scientific" in your evaluation of your alternatives. A Jeep is not very practical and would not survive a "logical" comparison with almost any other vehicle you might compare it with. But, when it comes to PURE FUN, not another vehicle on this earth comes close!

Keep us posted on your progress, OK?

Tom

Have you hugged your Jeep today?
  • Options
    jeff62301jeff62301 Member Posts: 310
    JBone,

I've got an unlimited, I bought it because of the extra length. I like the space behind the backseat for all my stuff. I have ridden in the backseat, as have several of my friends, everyone seemed to have enough leg room, the extra 2 inches in the unlimited's backseat makes it alot better for adults.

jeff
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I have a jeep AND a volvo.

Such conditions have been known to induce mild schizophrenia if precautions aren't taken! ;-)

tidester, host
  • Options
    I don't want you to knock down the Unlimited until you try it - both Wranglers can be difficult. I was thinking that the Unlimited seems harder for me because the back seat is further away from the door, and therefore seems more awkward for getting heavier/bulkier stuff in and out. It wouldn't matter as much if you put the seats in and just leave them there most of the time, and your little one will be in a booster seat eventually. Though I suspect putting an infant in a carseat every day would get old after a while (but perhaps if I were young again it wouldn't seem like such a problem).

That extra leg room IS nice, along with the extra cargo room. In fact, I haven't taken the seat out yet in the Unlimited and routinely carry 2 lunch size coolers and 2 huge gym bags (only a little smaller than small hockey bags) in the back without tumbling the back seat forward. This from someone who finds the back seat of the Sport more useful as a saddle rack under my stairs.

That extra wheelbase also makes the Unlimited more stable (so I guess it would be safer in that sense) and therefore easier to drive.

There isn't any difference in the size of the '04 and '05, so that won't matter if you are evaluating the back seat capacity. And since this is a big factor for you, I wouldn't let a small thing like not yet being ready to buy stop me from visiting a dealership to find out. That is a big part of research - and it helps to quickly rule out ones that won't work before you get serious. Otherwise you could do what we did - get a car (or in our case, a Tacoma) that you end up hating.
  • Options
    I had somebody ask me about body damage on my Jeep the other day - whether I had any or not. He said the sides were soft. My response was, "Yeah, when compared to a ROCK or another car!" He asked me if I worry about side impacts. I said I did - as anybody should be in any car. I then pointed out that I don't worry too much about parking lots. With my rocker guards (and bars), the odds of somebody hitting my side panels are quite slim.

I dare somebody to open their door next to me too quickly. :) Go ahead, scratch my powdercoat! Do ya feel lucky? heheh

Seriously, if you want protection, add the offroad body armor and strong bumpers. That will help around town and for those times when cars are sliding on the roads in ice. :)

-Paul
  • Options
    It was four years ago today, December 8, 2000, that I picked up my beloved Thelma Jane.

All I can say is...

YEEEEEEEEEEEHAWWWWWWWWWW!!!!!!!!!!

The honeymoon is still on!

Tom

• Options
    Congrats on your long term relationship! :)

Did you ever look at that information I sent you about the Warn hub setup and tie rod reinforcement?

-Paul
  • Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    Shipped the lens cover, torx screws, and an extra bulb off today. Look for it end of this week or first of next.

-twylie
  • Options
    Here's my post that tells about my introduction to Thelma Jane. I picked her up on December 8, 2000, which was a Friday. I posted this message in the wee hours Saturday morning, the 9th. I was too excited to go to sleep!

"Well, my good friends, Thelma Jane and her Daddy are together now! Picked her up this afternoon.

She was so beautiful I almost cried!

I was afraid my memory of the white Jeep I had seen this summer had been exaggerated, and I was afraid of a let down when I finally got to see Thelma Jane. Not! She was even MORE beautiful than I had imagined.

We are hitting it off real well. I live 45 miles from the dealer where I bought her, so our first drive together was a nice long one. She handled beautifully, didn't have too much wind or road noise, had a smoother ride than I expected, and the radio sounds much better than I thought it would. That subwoofer really helps.

I think I'll have trouble sleeping tonight. I will want to go out in the garage and sit in her.

I got a good taste for how little room there is for storage, though. It is dark by the time I get home from work, and, since there's no electricity in my garage, I hadn't cleaned out the back seat and trunk in the Grand Prix. I didn't think I was going to be able to get everything in the Jeep!

I'm not complaining. If Jeeps weren't so small they wouldn't be as much fun to drive. They just wouldn't be Jeeps.

I had to try out 4wd high and 4wd low in my yard when I got home. The neighbors probably think I have lost my mind, with my driving around the house several times.

I LOVE HER!!!!!!!

Have YOU hugged YOUR Jeep today?

tsjay "

Can it really be FOUR YEARS ago??? Time flies!

Tom

• Options
    Yes, I clicked on those links, and I thank you for them. I'm just interested in getting by as cheaply as I can right now.

I had the new hub put in this afternoon, the tie rod straightened, and the toe-in adjusted.

Thelma Jane is good to go! Just hope Turkey Bay is open this weekend.

Tom

• Options
    mac24mac24 Member Posts: 3,910
    That should get you a place on Santa's list of good boys and girls!

Good job.

:~)
  • Options
    I think that tie rod reinforcement would be a simple thing to do - get some metal and somebody who can weld it for ya easy enough (mayber Brewer) to give you some cheap reinforcement.

That diff cover that was posted here last week looks good - wonder if they make one for the Dana 30...

I seriously wonder if TB will be open given the rain. Hopefully you are a bit drier up there and we are down in AL today.

-Paul
  • Options
    Is this one of those times when I shouldn't mention our weather out here? They are talking about possibly 80 degrees Saturday...
  • Options
    I think that tie rod reinforcement would be a simple thing to do - get some metal and somebody who can weld it for ya easy enough (mayber Brewer) to give you some cheap reinforcement.

Don't forget that this just puts more load on the next component, the drag link in this case, which can be harder to fix out on the trail.

That diff cover that was posted here last week looks good - wonder if they make one for the Dana 30...

That pic was of a D30. They also make one for the D44. It's the most functional I've seen (though the ugliest), for rock damage protection.
  • Options
    wheelsdownwheelsdown Member Posts: 250
    Testing, 1, 2, 3, testing, testing.

Terry
  • Options
    I have been thinking the same thing!

Tom

• Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    We had to do a little top end work and then wound up having to drill out the Torx bolts, so it took a little longer to get back up and running than predicted.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    Hi All-

I have been reading posts on this board for the last couple months and have posted a question or two along the way. I found an excellent 03 Rubicon with 15K miles at a dealer and brought it home for an overnight test drive. It seems to be in fantastic shape - inside and out it is immaculate. It has both tops and as hard as it is to believe the soft top is still in the box. I really think this jeep has found a home!

Any suggestions on what I should look for (besides asking my mechanic to look it over) to make sure this is a good jeep & its previous owner didn't abuse it?

Thanks,

Jeff
  • Options
    c_dubbc_dubb Member Posts: 2
    Where have people been putting the antennas for XM radio on their wranglers? Im getting the SKIFI unit for my mom and she drives a wrangler. Dont think the top is magnetized. Any optimal areas?

Thanx!
  • Options
    Hey, it sounds like you are a Jeep owner now!!!!

Yeeeeeeeeeeeehawwwwwwwwwwwwwww!!!!

Jeff, that Jeep should be covered on factory warranty up to 70K miles, right? I don't see how you could go too far wrong, based on that.

I always like to talk to the previous owner when I am buying a used vehicle. People normally will be honest with you. They have traded it in and gotten their trade-in allowance, so they have no incentive to hide anything from you.

In your negotiating, please be aware of the deal you could get on a brand new 05 or a brand new left over 04. You don't want to pay too close to the same amount of money for a used Jeep than you would pay for a brand new 04 or 05. Last I heard you could get $1000 factory rebate on an 05 and $1500 on a left over 04. Combine that with the dealer discounting down close to invoice, and you are probably looking at $3000 to $3500 off sticker price on a brand new Jeep (maybe even more).

A Jeep with 15K miles is brand new for all practical purposes, but why not make them discount that puppy by comparing that deal to what you could get a new one for?

Keep us posted! Tell us more about the Rubi! Color? Tranny??? Be SURE and let us know if you end up getting that one or not.

Wish you the very best of luck!

Tom

• Options
    twylietwylie Member Posts: 619
    anywhere on top of the sound bar or sound pod, under the fabric cover, works. Signal isn't affected by the soft or hard top from what I can tell.

-twylie
  • Options
    jhjohnseyjhjohnsey Member Posts: 1
    I have a 1997 Wrangler and have also bought a SkiFi2 XM radio. I spent the best part of last night with the top off and placing the antennae in different spots to see where it picks up best. I initially had it stuck to the top of the windshield on the inside (above the mirror) - not the ideal position. Worked well on the interstate but faded in and out on any road with trees and it was very annoying.

So, I moved it to basically the same spot on the outside of the windshield - more consistent signal but still faded out a couple of times - So I wasn't happy with that either. I pull the Jeep into the garage and just toss the antennae in the little storage area on top of the dash and it had the best signal EVEN INSIDE THE GARAGE. I guess I'd have to use a small pieced of velcro to secure it. I'd rather have it on the outside of the vehicle but... The perfect place for me would be on top of the 3rd brake light but its plastic. I don't have a good recommendation, but there are a few ideas.

I'm also looking for the perfect spot for it.

Jeremy
  • Options
    southflorida33southflorida33 Member Posts: 7
    Am looking to get a soft top wrangler in the very near future. How does the key system work??? Can it still be hot wired??? Should I get an alarm too or is that waste of the time and money???? I'm not concerned where it is parked at night but don't want to worry where I go during the day or on trips. I live in south florida... Thanks....
  • Options
    The Sentry Key system is very difficult to bypass and needs tools and parts that a casual thief won't have access to. It's nothing like the earlier systems from other vehicle manufacturers that just require a resistance value to be matched.........and anyway, if they want your Jeep that badly they'll tow it away.

An alarm is only worthwhile if you'll be the one to hear it and respond to it, otherwise it's just a nuisance.
  • Options
    Ross Allen, the Jeep Dog, says...

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

• Options
    I don't know if it is optimal or not, but I've been using my XM antenna on the roll bar, like twylie suggested. I haven't had any problems with it there and I've used it in (more or less) the same spot with both the hard top and the soft top and it doesn't make a difference. The only thing that causes drops is a tunnel on my commute. It is definitely better than when I had it on the dash of a Tacoma - I did get drops then.
  • Options
    colorado1974colorado1974 Member Posts: 177
    First jpk257 have the dealership run perform a vin run for you. Factory Program cars only carry a 3/36 warranty on the powertrain. Most salesman don't know this so they unknowingly quote the 7/70. The only way to be 100% guaranteed on the warranty is to see that vin run sheet. It will also tell you the selling dealer, prior owner and any open recalls.

Second, my 2004 Rubicon has a noisy valvetrain and tends to ping around 1500 rpms. Anybody know a fix or have the same experience?
  • Options
    jpk257jpk257 Member Posts: 43
    Hi-

I will post all the details on the jeep once the deal goes through. Hopefully in the next couple days the dealer and I can come to an agreement.

Colorado - is a vin run sheet the same thing as a carfax report? How will a factory program car be reflected on this report.

Thanks

Jeff
  • Options
    Did I miss something? Colorado, are you just saying the Jeep MIGHT be a program car? I didn't see in any of Jeff's posts that the Jeep was a program car. Of course, it could be, but I don't think that has been established, has it?

Also, Colorado, if you will scroll back a few pages, or do a search on "ping," you will find some good info on your problem. Good old Mac24 gave us some real good stuff on that. I should have done that search before starting this post, and I could have put you onto the post number for the first one in that thread. It's fairly recent stuff, though.

Tom

• Options
    Thanks Tom!

Jeff, it is not the same thing as a carfax. A vin run is what a dealer does on every vehicle they service in the shop. It tells them the repair history, selling dealer, factory installed equipment and codes on every part on it. That is how the parts department know how to order the right parts, by the codes in the vin run report.

Program cars are considered "business use" and are delivered to "Alamo, GE, Avis, etc" with 3/36 coverage on powertrain parts. Only "retail consumer" sales for non-sever duty use are covered under the 7/70.

A friend of mine got burned on that situation because nobody at the dealership either knew about it or would come clean.
  • Options
    So, you found the posts on the pinging???

Tom

• Options
    Most of them seem to refer to gas but that is it.

There was also reference to deciding if it was a tick/ping or other noise.

The noise I hear is as if the rocker arms are slightly loose because they only tick at around 2000 rpms. Know what I mean? The dealer said that they can't be adjusted and that it is normal. I know it isn't normal because it didn't do it when it was new.
  • Options
    You don't believe what you are hearing is a spark knock ("ping?").

There was some mention of re-flashing the EPROM for a more optimal fuel/air ratio, I think. Didn't Mac say that could be done, but it would be up to the dealer if he would perform that for ya or not? I can't remember all the details.

Have you switched brands or grades of gas? Don't you guys have just 85 Octane for regular out there? Try some 87 or 89.

All that I have said pertains to spark knock, but you don't think that's what you have, though.

Oh well, hope you get it solved.

Tom

• Options
    jeepercreepersjeepercreepers Member Posts: 5
    I've got the Roady2 XM radio. One of the best things I've spent my money on by the way. I switch it between my Jeep and truck. The instructions are pretty specific, best reception is the antenna stuck in the middle of a square foot of metal, up high.

I can testify to that too. Stuck on my truck cab, I get the best reception. This summer I stuck it on top of the sound bar in the Jeep with some velcro. It was under the fabric top and worked OK but got dropout where I'd still get reception in the truck. For now, with the hardtop on, I've just stuck it with velcro onto the underside of the top. It does OK for me but isn't as good as it was with the fabric top. I might try outside on the top with velcro also but haven't gotten around to it yet.

Bottom line is that there isn't an optimal place on a Wrangler for the antenna. The issue is dropout, not clarity. When you've got reception, the sound is fine. Mine still works good enough though in the Jeep, and I love XM radio.
  • Options
    jeepercreepersjeepercreepers Member Posts: 5
    or I'd have gone kaboom. My '91 YJ one day, started to smell petrol-like in the cab. Hmmm. So after running the gas down in the tank, a little too far from home by the way, I finally got the tank dropped to see what was up. The rubber gasket under the flange for the fuel pump had just about come completely apart. So a full tank of sloshing gas was leaking gas onto the top of the tank.

I managed not to douse myself with gasoline at any point, although I imagine I'll think I smell gasoline for quite some time. Also found a little stash of dandelion seeds on top of the tank. Apparently those little mice buggers don't mind the smell of gasoline.

Hope to get some new parts soon and be on my way, without gas fumes.
  • Options
    Welcome! I see that you have just signed up.

Are you James from JeepersandCreepers? If so, Hi James! If not, Hi ____! :)

Tom

• Options
    lsujeeplsujeep Member Posts: 11
    I bought a Jeep in August that has a hard top. I love the hard top, but my wife has back problems, so I'd like a hoist so that I can take the top off by myself when things warm up in the spring. Also, where is the best place to get a bikini top? I have a 2004 Wrangler X with full doors. Thanks.
  • Options
    or any of the other online shops. Most of the bigger ones carry hoists, including electric.

For a bikini or safari top, go with Bestop. They are available from a variety of sources on the web.

-Paul
  • Options
    I got the "Hoist a Top" electric hoist from Quadratec. I have not had a chance to try it out yet, even though it has been installed in my garage for several weeks now. The weather got cool enough that I had to have my son help me put the top on before the hoist had been installed. Will most likely be spring before I use it.

Tom

• Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    My wifes father works at a local dealership in my area. I recieved a call from him about a 97 black sport tan soft top, half doors, auto, 56K miles, 6 cylinder, that was taken in trade. Top looks new one dent on front fender and oversized tires, average condition i guess for the age. They are offering it to me for $4,500 but would retail it for $7,000 per the manager.

Is there anything about the 97's that i should be concerned about? Any recalls etc...

Im having to go used as the new ones are outta my price range at this time....

Tom one time you were able to pull info for me on one i was considering by using the vend number. I will do it, but i do not remember how you did this research. I would really like to get the list on this wrangler to help make up my mind, or if anyone can find the info it would be appreciated. Here is the vend 1J4FY19S2VP467412
  • Options
    Issues: exhaust manifold, catalytic converter.

I'd check to see if the top is a newer sailcloth or just a good condition 97 vintage. My 97 top was really worn and the newer tops are MUCH nicer and quieter.

-Paul
  • Options
    jefferson1964jefferson1964 Member Posts: 330
    I'll check those things out. I have not seen it yet and was going off father-in-laws description until i can get over there on wed/thur. He said the dealer will hold it for me until for this week then probably wholesale the jeep......
  • Options
    Definitely check the exhaust manifold. I think (but don't really remember) that there was a recall for '97 on the exhaust manifolds, but not for the '98s. Believe this '98 owner - it is an expensive repair.

I don't really know about prices, but I recently checked the various web sites for the private sale worth of my '98 Sport. It was somewhere around $4600 - 4800, and that was figuring in 130,000 miles, so I would think that $4500 for that '97 isn't out of line.
  • Options
    gman1259gman1259 Member Posts: 209
    I bought a manual hoist from one of the on-line companies. It works great, but I had to make several modifications to make truly an easy operation.

If you decide not to spend the money on an electric hoist I would make the following suggestions:

1. Find one on E-bay.

2. Make what ever modification you need to make in sturdy. I had to drill out the existing set screws and used #8 bolts.

3. If it doesn’t already have one, buy a ratchet winch off E-Bay.

Additionally, I installed (4) 3/8” eyelet screws in the ceiling and use (2) ratchet tie-down straps to help secure the top to the ceiling for storage. This probably is not necessary, but I like the additional security.
  • Options
    "......Is there anything about the 97's that i should be concerned about? Any recalls etc..."

Here's a list of recalls and TSBs. Any Jeep dealer can pull the vehicle build information and its warranty repairs if you give then the VIN.

Safety Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 755 JUN 98 Recall - Fuel Tank Sending Unit

773 APR 98 Recall - Steering Column Airbag Clockspring

731 JUL 97 Recall - Airbag Control Module

712 APR 97 Recall - Passenger Air Bag Safety

683 MAY 96 Recall - Airbag Electronic Control Module

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 21-004-04 MAR 04 A/T - ATF Usage List

09-010-04 MAR 04 Engine - Rear Main Seal Oil Leak

23-005-04 MAR 04 Body - Soft Top Zipper cleaner

21-009-03 AUG 03 A/T - Diagnostic Teardown Procedure

19-005-03 AUG 03 Steering - Power Steering Fluid Usage

24-007-03 AUG 03 Interior - Water Leaks Onto Passenger Carpet

18-008-03 MAR 03 Engine Controls - Co-Pilot Support/Cable Selection

24-009-02 OCT 02 A/C - System Leak Detection

18-020-02 JUN 02 Engine Controls - Flash Reprogramming Failure

08-025-01 NOV 01 Air Bag - On/Off Switches

19-009-01 OCT 01 Driver Airbag - Trim Cover Service

08-010-01 MAY 01 Airbag/Clock Spring - Service

18-012-01 MAY 01 Generic Scan Tool - Reference Information

25-003-01 FEB 01 PCM - MIL ON/Erroneous DTC P1398 (or $BA)

08-006-00A DEC 00 Wiring - Revised Splicing Procedure

21-04-00 JUN 00 TCM - MIL ON/DTC P1763 Set

18-08-00 JUN 00 MIL ON, Erroneous DTC P0107 Set

08-11-00 MAR 00 CD Player - CD Compatibility

18-01-00 FEB 00 EVAP System - Leak Detection Pump Misdiagnosis

23-41-99 OCT 99 Door Weatherstrip - Water Leaks/Wind Noise

24-21-99 OCT 99 Evaporator Drain Tube - Water Leaks Into Interior

26-10-99I OCT 99 ABS - Kelsey Hayes EBC-5H, EBC 310 Test Revisions

02-12-99 AUG 99 Front End Alignment - Adjustable/Offset Ball Joints

23-29-99 JUL 99 Tailgate - Rattling/Chuckling Noise

08-23-99 JUL 99 Radio Communication Equipment - Recommendations

24-13-99 JUL 99 A/C Evaporator - Freeze Up

18-12-99 JUN 99 Leak Detection Pump - Monitor Test

08-07-99 MAY 99 Power Distribution Center - Service

21-08-99 APR 99 A/T - Buzz/Whining in Reverse When Cold

23-09-99 MAR 99 Interior - Water Leak Diagnostic & Repair Procedure

26-03-99G MAR 99 Brakes - Teves Mark IVG and Mark 20 ABS Revisions

26-01-99D JAN 99 ABS/TCS - Diagnostic Test Revisions

08-17-98C DEC 98 Air Bag System - ON-OFF Switch Availibility

25-02-98 OCT 98 I/M Testing - OBDII CARB Readiness Monitor Information

05-03-98A AUG 98 Front Brakes - Pedal Pulsation

21-09-98 JUL 98 Transfer Case Shifter - Creaking/Thumping Noise

08-36-98 JUL 98 Auto Computers - Y2K Effects

19-04-98 JUL 98 Steering Column - Boot Squawk

18-22-98 JUN 98 MIL ON, Engine Misfire DTC's Set

18-21-98 JUN 98 Powertrain Control Module - Service Precaution

26-06-98O JUN 98 Interior - Air Bag Service Manual Revisions

23-21-98 MAY 98 Front Seat - Squeaking Noise

26-05-98D MAY 98 Engine Controls/Electronics/Emissions - Manual Revisions

24-03-98 MAR 98 Heater A/C Actuator - Squeaking Noise

05-02-98 MAR 98 Front Brakes - One Click on Initial Application

23-09-98 MAR 98 Tailgate - Rattle/Knock on Rough Roads

26-01-98D JAN 98 Brakes - Kelsey Hayes ABS Manual Revisions

23-64-97 DEC 97 Body Mount - Creaking/Popping Noise

26-12-97C DEC 97 Brakes - Bendix® ABX 4 ABS System Test Revisions

26-12-97F DEC 97 Brakes - Teves Mark IV/Teves Mark 20 ABS Revisions

14-08-97 NOV 97 Engine - High Driveability Index Fuels

24-16-97 NOV 97 Heater A/C Housing - Water Leaks To Interior

24-13-97 OCT 97 A/C Manifold - Refrigerant Leaks

23-49-97 SEP 97 Door Latch - Binds/Door Remains Locked

26-08-97 AUG 97 Brakes - Kelsey-Hayes ABS System Diagnostic Revisions

08-19-97A JUL 97 Fuel Gauge - Inaccurate

24-11-97 JUL 97 A/C Evaporator - Emits Odors

08-24-97 JUL 97 Odometer - LED's Flash When 4 Way Flashers are On

14-06-97 JUL 97 Fuel Pump - Diagnosis

14-05-97 JUN 97 Fuel Tank - Slow to Fill

23-37-97 JUN 97 Hood/Fender - Rattle/Paint Chafing

19-09-97 JUN 97 Steering Column - Clicking Noise When Turning

22-01-97 JUN 97 Tire & Wheel - Runout

26-06-97G JUN 97 Brakes - ABS Diagnostic Procedures Revision

26-06-97F JUN 97 Engine Controls - Oil Pressure Sensor Art Revisions

14-03-97 MAY 97 Fuel Gauge - Inaccurate Readings

23-30-97 MAY 97 Windshield - Stress Cracks

07-03-97 MAY 97 Engine - Coolant Recommendations

18-14-97A MAY 97 MIL ON, DTC's #28, #6A, #9B, #BA Set

231697 APR 97 Soft Top - Improvements

181297 MAR 97 PCM - Erroneous MIL ON/Driveability Improvements

08-09-97 FEB 97 Air Bag - Warning Label Requirements

23-03-97 FEB 97 Black Plastic Body Components - Chalky Residue

080197 FEB 97 PCM - Wire Harness Connector Repair Package

240197 JAN 97 A/C - Evaporator Drain Tube Leaking into Interior

236996 NOV 96 Paint - Fallout Damage Repair

183296 NOV 96 PCM - Erroneous MIL ON/DTC's Set/Hesitation

211496 NOV 96 TCM/TV Cable - MIL ON/False DTC #94 Set

236396 OCT 96 EZ Entry Seat Back Release Cable - Detached

082196A OCT 96 Wiring Harness - Connector Repair Package

050996 OCT 96 Brakes - Noise Explanation

26-10-96D OCT 96 Engine/Steering - Oil Capacity/Pressure Switch Revisions

261096 OCT 96 Service Manual - Revisions/Updates

182696 SEP 96 PCM - Erroneous MIL, and/or Driveability Concerns

235796 SEP 96 Carpet -Poor Fit/Slides

241396 SEP 96 Heater A/C - No Air From Panel Vents

689 SEP 96 Warranty - Emissions Component Update

190396 JUN 96 Power Steering Reservoir - Fluid
    "......Is there anything about the 97's that i should be concerned about? Any recalls etc..."

Here's a list of recalls and TSBs. Any Jeep dealer can pull the vehicle build information and its warranty repairs if you give then the VIN.

Safety Recalls

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Title 755 JUN 98 Recall - Fuel Tank Sending Unit

773 APR 98 Recall - Steering Column Airbag Clockspring

731 JUL 97 Recall - Airbag Control Module

712 APR 97 Recall - Passenger Air Bag Safety

683 MAY 96 Recall - Airbag Electronic Control Module

Service Bulletins

TSB Number Issue Date TSB Ti Seepage

26-06-96A JUN 96 A/C - Vacuum Schematics Revisions

260696 JUN 96 Servi