Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MINI Cooper: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    manya1manya1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have a similar issue or have any advice? This is what happened:

1. My ASC light went on--(goes off when I restart the car, but lights up shortly after.)

2. 48 hours later: Service Engine light went on.

3. Dealer says that it's because the gas I use has too much ethanol in it. They turned off the Service Engine light, but the ASC light still goes on periodically. They said the problem will disappear after I burn all the gas in my tank and refill with a low-octane gasoline.

I find this hard to believe. Are they just giving me the "run-around"?

Any advice would be good. Thanks :cry:
  • Options
    margiew1margiew1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm thinking of buying my first Mini Cooper S Convertible - 2006. There are so many option packages to choose from. Premium, Sports, Winter.. I want them all, but wonder if more means more problems. Anyone have all the packages included? How's the maintenance?

Thanks! ;)
  • Options
    cct1cct1 Member Posts: 221
    I've got the premium and sport packages; no problems at all. If you're going with the convertible, the winter package is a good idea (in retrospect I wish I would have gotten it on mine--mine's a hardtop--but I didn't think I'd be driving it that much in winter. I was wrong on that; I drive it as much as I can!).

The premium package is nice, but not necessary (I'd still recommend it), but the sport package is almost essential--and it'll help you come resale time.
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    You're getting some kind of run-around. I have a problem where my SES light comes on (never the ASC light) and I got the same response, too much ethanol in the gas. I was also told to fill the tank with mid-grade and that should solve the problem and make the light go out. Well, I am NOT going to go against the factory recommendation to "fix" a problem. It was pure laziness on the part of the dealership to recommend that as a fix. If another drivetrain issue comes up, they could easily blame it on me using lower octane gas than what is recommended.

As well, you seem to have one light coming on for the same reason I had another light come on. Just from that alone, I think something smells fishy with your dealer. I hope this isn't a widespread issue that MINI is trying to avoid.

Oh, well, MINI is buying back my car, as I've had it with the issues I've been dealing with. I'm looking at the new GTI very very closely...
  • Options
    gimbertgimbert Member Posts: 9
    Folloing up!
    After a week at the dealer finaly got my car back, and return the loaner a beutifull 06 BMW 325(very nice)
    My wife drove it for 2 day to realise that it was overheating, was not working now and a new noise just started, o and regarding the fan it still on! probaly running right now. i guess the dealr is making lost of cash having the mini return so many times to their shop
    no to mention how incompetent they seam. bottom line still sonot have any idea what is wrong with the car.
  • Options
    mjbeckmjbeck Member Posts: 1
    I am trying to replace my rear disk brakes but cannot get the piston to retract. I had no problem with the front. Can anyone give me some advice? Thanks!
  • Options
    If you do a google search for mini2 and brakes, you'll get all sorts of help--there are other web sites with DYI faqs specifically for brakes (sorry, can't link them here, against the rules of the forums). Edmunds is great, but for something as technical as that, there are some great online forums where you can get that sorted out.
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    Can't help you on the specifics of the Mini (I haven't replaced pads yet), but with many cars, you really have to manhandle the calipers from side to side to get them to retract enough to make it over the "ridge" at the edge of the disc. Don't be bashful.

- Mark
  • Options
    crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    If you haven't figured it out yet, the rear piston has to be rotated as you push it in. If you force it without rotation, you'll break something. Its because of the cable operated e-brake design that uses the same parts as the normal brake. MINI sells a special tool to retract the piston. Similar tools can be purchased at other locations for a fraction of the cost of the MINI tool which is over $100. I use a really big c clamp that seems to work just fine. Pushes in and rotates at the same time.
  • Options
    chedderchedder Member Posts: 5
    2004 MC

I just picked up a used '04 Mini and I am loving it!

This question ties to message #408 above, concerning programming the Mini. The manual discussed options that can be enabled and disabled by a Mini dealership. Does anyone know how to do some of this programming on their own? What I want to have done specifically is have the power windows go up all the way automatically when I briefly flick the switch. The windows open all the way on their own when I flick it, but they don't go up all the way. The other option that I want enabled is the "Follow me home" feature, where the lights stay on for a few minutes after the car is locked so that I can find my way back home.

Thanks all!
  • Options
    The programming needs to be done by the dealer. The follow me home feature is available, but you can't have a one touch window up programmed by the dealer. However, depending on how handy you are, there are some aftermarket chips that will enable this. Not sure of the legality of it though.
  • Options
    chloefiddlechloefiddle Member Posts: 2
    I am thinking of buying a MINI in the coming months but have been concerned about its reputation of being costly to maintain. Is this mostly true for the "older" models, or does it also hold true for, say, a 2006? Any examples on how much, say, to replace brakes? Or a clutch?

Also, any opinions on whether it would be risky to try out a 2007 given that it will be reworked and may have a bunch of glitches?

Thanks!
  • Options
    heidi910heidi910 Member Posts: 2
    that happened to my 03 mini cooper a couple years ago. i was driving and all of a sudden it wouldn't go any faster than 10-20 mph. i was then told there was a recall for it, something emissions related. just the other day it stalled while i stopped at a red light. they're still looking into what the issue is. i feel so unsafe driving it...
  • Options
    momhasquestionmomhasquestion Member Posts: 1
    Hi - am I being had? Just been told that my son's Mini Cooper (automatic, 2005)car needs new brakes after only 11,000 km and that it would cost $1,000! Am told that normally they would be replaced around 30,000km or so. Needed to change the oil as well at 11,000 km instead of the prescribed 16,000km (cost $200 CA).They tell me he's driving his car too hard. Is this true?
  • Options
    qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,949
    $200 to change the oil??! Canadian money or not, that is RIDICULOUS!

$1000 for brakes? Are they saying new rotors and pads at all 4 corners?

Take it to a brake shop for a 2nd opinion. Its one thing for the front pads to be worn at this point, but to need pads and rotors on 4 wheels? I seriously doubt it. Did you hear any noises while braking? Fronts always need replacing before the rears. So if the rears are so bad that new rotors are needed, then that would mean you've had nothing but metal to metal up front for quite a while, and, believe me, you'd notice!

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• Options
    sconantsconant Member Posts: 23
    there is a "service bulliten on the Mini clutch. It should be replaced under warranty, etc. There are MANY recalls and service bullitens on Mini's. For the most dealers WILL NOT TELL YOU ABOUT THEM !!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    They tell me he's driving his car too hard. Is this true?

It's certainly not impossible to wear out the brakes in 11K km. In fact, you can wear them out in 1K km. If the lights on the dash are prescribing an oil change at 11K km, that's a smoking gun that the car is being thrashed to within an inch of it's life.

Costs are high, but probably typical. If they're doing new rotors all-around, this cost is actually lower than I'd expect. You can do better at an independent shop.

- Mark
  • Options
    bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    We also have a 2005 Cooper automatic. It has almost 20,000 km on it, and it doesn't need new brakes. We changed the oil about 2,000 km ago, and the computer says we can go another 17,000 km before the next oil change, although the dealer recommends we do an interim change since, for us, 17,000 km would represent another 18 months of driving. We'll see. The car is leased so I'm not sure I want to spend more than necessary/required on maintenance. The oil changes aren't cheap. An oil and filter change, which typically would include a few inpsections of this or that, would run us about $85. But not $200! :surprise:
  • Options
    Mini recommends an oil change every year, regardless of mileage. It's even covered under the 36K/36-month free maintenance plan in the states.

- Mark
  • Options
    Unfortunately, Mini does not offer the free maintenance in Canada, so I would have to cough up the $85 or so for an oil and filter change. But I guess if nothing else needs repairing, and extra $85 per year won't break my maintenance budget. But then again, 85 bucks for an oil change? :surprise: :mad:
  • Options
    Are you expecting less than $85 Cad in a dealer's service bay for an oil change? Sounds pretty reasonable to me. These guys just don't have the economies of scale like Jiffy Lube and hopefully pay more than minimum wage to their mechanics.

- Mark
  • Options
    For our Hondas and Acuras, we have often been able to get, from the dealers, "Oil Change Specials", or "Winterization Special" which includes oil/filter change, and the usual fluid top-ups, wiper refill replacement, etc. for anywhere from $39.95 to $59.95. :shades: In fact, in the first couple of years (of the car's life), the scheduled services for Hondas and Acuras don't cost more than about $75 each. :)
  • Options
    The key word is "specials" here. These are loss leaders with the idea of generating extra service revenue from the visits. Believe me, no full-line dealership service department can make a living on $40 Cnd oil changes.

Also keep in mind that Mini's require synthetic oil. I doubt the Honda dealer is using synthetic oil at this price.

- Mark
  • Options
    You're right about the additional cost for synthetic oil, although I wonder if that is an overkill for the base Cooper's Chrysler engine, which is none too exotic.
  • Options
    If you were doing 5K changes, synthetic is probably overkill, but with most of the Euro mfgs offering free maintenance plans, they do everything in their power to see the car as little as possible and extended oil change intervals are vital to this strategy. And you don't want coventional oil in there for 10K+.

- Mark
  • Options
    golf4tattoosgolf4tattoos Member Posts: 1
    I have an 02 MCS. It was awesome, til six months ago.. Service Engine light and EML light come on (OUT OF WARRANTY).. then it sputters and won't go more than 5-MPH. I took it to the Dealer who reset the computer. It did it the next day in bumper to bumper traffic. Anyway, the service manager at my local dealer said he does not get a good diagnoses from the computer and he said he'll have to start replacing good parts starting with the CPU Harness? Why would the dealer not recommend the computer programming upgrade? Or maybe MAP sensors or O2 sensors. I Love my car and I'm dead in the water right now. Do you think your early problem was similar (MAP sensors?)any advice would be appreciated.

Painful Upkeep=

Serpentine Belt($400)
    Gear Fork broke in tranny, Whole transmission($3500)
    Clutch($1200)
    Power Window Motor($300)
    Throttle body($400)
    .. still doesn't run
  • Options
    A computer programming upgrade is unlikely to cure a problem where the car doesn't run. Likewise, when MAP and O2 sensors go, the car typically goes into some kind of "open loop" mode for the FI system, but it still runs Okay.

Mini has good troubleshooting charts for problems. I don't see any reason the dealer should have to go into total trial/error mode, but I'm not an expert. Do you have any other dealers close enough to give them a shot at it? Or a good independent shop?

- Mark
  • Options
    heidi910heidi910 Member Posts: 2
    "Service Engine light and EML light come on" -- this happened to my MINI. The dealer replaced the O2 sensor and solved the problem.

Soon later, car stalled when i was at a red light. They found the purge valve was defective. Have them look into it on your car.
  • Options
    Coopers are not only for the rich, etc. you just have not had yours long enough. Wait for the clutches, water pumps and power steering pumpsd. Get you check book ready!!!Mini Cooper will not help you. Why have to go ??? miles to get this junk fixed? It's a BMW thing, that's why!!! ANY BMW dealer can fix any Mini, but BMW will NOT send them the parts!!! For those who read this DO NOT BUY A Mini. You will be THROWING your well earned $$ away.
  • Options
    NO-No-No They are junk!!!!
  • Options
    You got screwed buddy!!! There is a service bulliten from BMW on the sensors , clutch and throllle body ou yes the steering stuff also !!!!
  • Options
    w9cww9cw Member Posts: 888
    Mini (the old Brit ones) owner's of old would change the oil themselves, as well as work on the brakes. You can probably change the oil and filter for less than $30 (US) and that's including using Mobil 1 synthetic, not dino oil. And as for the brakes, buying Brembo rotors (better than the stock OEMs) for $50 each, and pads ($75 front set and $60 rear set), you could do the front and rear brakes for no more than $335 - notwithstanding caliper replacement. These brake parts prices came directly from an excellent Mini parts source, and are current. Changing oil is easy, and there are numerous places available for proper disposal. Brake work is not rocket science, and is also quite easy to do for a D-I-Yer.
  • Options
    mikecoopmikecoop Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I have a 2003 MC and this morning when trying to start it up to get to work, it wouldn't start. When I turned the ignition key (tried this several times with same result), the interior lights blinked 2 or three times and nothing happened. I thought it could be a battery problem (live in Las Vegas, NV and heat here wreaks havoc on batteries) and tried to jump start it with no success. It's only got 23K miles on it. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    Get used to it! My Mini has gone thru 3 clutches (2200 mi)
    2 water pumps, rear main seal, power stering pump, and a throttle body, 3 computers, etc, etc, etc. BE SURE TO ASK (and you'll have to get a factory rep) ABOUT ALL "serviice bullitens" and recalls - there are MANY)

Good luck--I'm going to sell mine ASAP!!! I'll take a beating but ?????????????????
  • Options
    COMPUTER HAS GONE SOUTH___MINE DID THE SAME THING AND WILL GO BACK FOR IT'S THIRD COMPUTER THIS WEEK. 600 miles is TOO much to ask for when ANY BMW dealer can fix problems !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    I'm sorry for your troubles, but expecting any BMW dealer to do complex repair work on a Mini is not reasonable.

While Mini's are made by BMW, it's a completely different car from every other BMW which means that to service them you need coompletely different mechanics training, service tools, diagnostics, computer systems, etc.

BMW made the decision to market the Mini as a separate brand and sell and service it in unique dealerships. This was a business decision on their part and well known to any customer buying a Mini. Maybe they'll change this policy at some point, but it would take a tremendous investment by BMW dealers to become Mini service centers and it would undecut the Mini dealer who has made substantial capital investment in their dealerships with the expecation that they would have exclusive rights to perform warranty service work over their defined territory. So it's not as simple as BMW snapping their fingers and "allowing" BMW dealers to do Mini work.

I always advise anyone interested in a Mini to consider that this car has a less than perfect service history and therefore having a dealer close by is probably a ironclad requirement for most owners. People buying Mini's when the nearest dealer is 500 miles away are taking a hell of a risk.

- Mark
  • Options
    sounds like a Mini salesman here. NOT ALL Mini dealers are as "honest" as others. To tell me that a buyer over 500 mi. from a dealer is "taking " a risk is bull - the dealers want to sell their product.

So much for the rep. Anybody concedering buying a Mini needs to have their head examned!!! Mine inculded.

Want to buy mine???
  • Options
    Performance BMW in NC can and will fix your Mini if you bring them the parts. They have all the training any tooling, etc
  • Options
    I had the same problem on the drivers side. An adjustment with the hood and left door fixed it? So far. Oh yes the rear lid seal was bad too and cannot be fixed. Even when using " specially skilled and schooled" tech's!
  • Options
    You are LUCKY Mini is buying your car back!!! I've had many many many problems and the car cannot be fixed! OR the dealer has stupid tech's. A conspiracy is PROBABLY the right idea.
    I FINELY got an appt. w/ a factory "rep" so I'll be letting ya'll know what happens.
  • Options
    A customer is a fool if they're depending on the salesman to warn them that the nearest Mini dealer is 500 miles away and that getting warranty service could be a big issue.

- Mark
  • Options
    U R Rite!!! I was a fool. So what - I can still tell as many people as I can about Mini's history of critical problems, etc. Really most of my trouble has been with the dealer and it's tech's. I feel that with the number of repeat troubles I've had a good back yard mechanic would have done a better job. I finally got a lawyer to get me an appt. with a factory rep. so we will see.

BTW I'm not the only fool here - some people have to waste good time not solving things! Just pointing out other's "faults". Again this "E" sounds like an experienced "salesman (woman)"??

Have a good day unless you have other plans.
  • Options
    zoellerzoeller Member Posts: 1
    The same thing happened to my MC S 03 last night. AAA jumped it OK, but today it got the blinky thing going. I'm calling Mini Service in Cincy tomorrow. Tonight I'm purusing the very think manual I bought for $100. I hope it's the battery of course, but we'll see. I'll write again.
  • Options
    There is a service bulliten on the throttle body and computer that you may want to consider with the dealer.
  • Options
    grooovygrooovy Member Posts: 3
    And ask for Graham. He's a nice bloke! -- G
  • Options
    grooovygrooovy Member Posts: 3
    YES!!!!! Just found your posting! We are having same problem with hubby's 2002 Cooper S. Did you figure out what the problem is? The dealer who sold it to us (not a MINI dealer; ours is second hand) can't seem to replicate it, whilst we have no problem doing so.

Would be interested in hearing your replay.

Cheers --- G
  • Options
    good luck is right1 MINI DEALERS ARE KNOWN FOR 'good luck' PRACTICES. do try meeting with a factory rep. TWO GRAND IS REDICULIOUS! If all fails, and it is reasonably possible - go to an independent garage. They will be lower in $$
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    A reporter seeks to talk with current owners of the Mini Cooper. Please send your daytime contact info and the model year of your vehicle to jfallon@edmunds.com no later than Wednesday, September 27, 2006.

Thanks,
    Jeannine Fallon
    Corporate Communications
    Edmunds.com
  • Options
    marty13marty13 Member Posts: 6
    Date: 9/ 23/06
    To: Mini Cooper
    CC: CONSUMER REPORTS

Dear Sir,
    I am writing this letter to express my severe disenchantment with both Mini Cooper as a company and their dealership (Prestige Mini NJ, USA).

I purchased my first Mini S (loaded) for $27,000, less then four months ago.

On 8/24/06 (11:20 hrs) my Mini S struck a “CAT” on RT 6 in NY. The result was the following:

1- No alarm sounded indicating my engine was in trouble, or overheating.
    2- After approximately 6 – 7 miles, the red light on the dash finally came on, and I stopped and requested an accident report from the NY State Police ( see report # SP2F88000115).
    3- I drove home (4 miles) to my home, and called Prestige Mini immediately.
    4- The vehicle was towed to Prestige Mini.

I finally got my car back (28 days later).

The following chain of events too place.
    1- I called Prestige Mini, and they stated they had a great relationship with State Farm insurance. Two weeks later, I personally had to intercede, in an effort to get State Farm to pay what they described as an “outrageous labor rate”. Worse, once approved, the expert technicians fools you employ, who command this “outrageous labor rate” at Prestige Mini “failed “to check the car properly and totally missed the “warped head” on the vehicle.

Had I not personally requested that they check the motor, no effort would have been made to ensure both my safety, and to prevent a second return to Mini.

2- Due to this incompetence, I was forced to wait again for the insurance adjuster from State Farm to arrive. While this transpired, my insurance co (like most) only allows $1,000 in rental fees. In view of the fact that there was an unreasonable delay, I requested a “loaner” from the service manager, who stated yes. When I called to come and pick up the loaner, the assistant service manager stated “no”? I guess $27,000 was not enough!

3- Two more weeks passed, as I waited for my car (needed to get to work), and I was finally advised (after I called approx: 10 times) it was done!

Just one small problem, the car needed “just one more part” for the AC unit. I was advised the car would be finally ready this past Friday 9/22/06, but when I called to ensure it was done, I was advised the part did not come in.

Until this point, I had remained polite, friendly and understanding, especially in view of the fact that the Mini Service Dept. could really put the screws to me.

Having had enough, I called the service manager, who now advised me the “car was done”, and the “other guy had made a mistake”? Classic incompetence, no!

In the 37 years I have been driving cars, I have never experienced such incompetence, wasted time, and have never been so inconvenienced by any car dealer, except yours.
    Worse, I have used State Farm for 28 yrs, and never, had any problem with them, until I had to deal with Mini Cooper.

To compound matters, when I did go to get my car, I was left with the distinct impression that they were doing me a favor.

PS: My wife advised me not to send this e-mail to Mini, because I still need to get the service dept. to sign a “co-pay check”. Don’t want to “piss off the service/billing dept”. In short, I paid on credit card, which I find odd? In view of the fact that State Farm authorized payment for the work.

I guess Mini cash needs the cash, or being British/German does not “understand” that State Farm guaranteed their almighty dollar.
    All other dealers, I have dealt with, have just said, thank you and out the door I went.

Needles to say, because I can not trust, or depend on Mini Cooper, I will no longer be “motoring”, or popping the “bonnet”, as Mini Cooper and its dealers have convinced me that their only interest is in selling cars, not customer support.

Regardless of the fact that I was involved in an auto accident.

Respectfully Yours
    Martin Farrell
    Warwick NY USA 10990
  • Options
    I recieved a reprimand yesterday about sending "contact" info on this site. I would love to "talk" Mini but I'm unable to due to this forums rules?!
This discussion has been closed.