Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

MINI Cooper: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• Options
    cooperfreakcooperfreak Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Mini Cooper S i was looking for a new clutch. I saw the 4 and 6 puck clutches but only for the 2003 +, does any one know what the major diff. is between the too? :confuse:
  • Options
    postwarbritpostwarbrit Member Posts: 6
    OK - so I have an 03 MINI Cooper, 48K miles, in pristine condition, always serviced, always drank premium gas. NOW, as a result of a check engine light (CEL) coming on, my dealership is telling me that there's carbon build up in the engine, plus a couple of cracked valves. They (and the factory rep who came down to help them because they couldn't figure out what's wrong) say that it's a case of poor gas, even though I've ALWAYS used PREMIUM. Now, they say they'll cover it under warranty, implying that it's out of the goodness of their heart, but I know it can't be the gas, unless Shell, Exxon or Chevron have bad gas, and I know that's not true.

Can anyone tell me what ELSE might cause these engine problems?

I will likely have to sell my car because of this. They say it's gas, and it's not, so it's gotta be something else, which they haven't fixed because they clearly aren't diagnosing it correctly!

I'm thinking I should have kept my VW Golf! :sick: ">
  • Options
    markjennmarkjenn Member Posts: 1,142
    I doubt it is the gas, but anything is possible. Bad gas does get dispensed, even from name-brand stations.

Typically excessive carbon build-up is the result of taking lots of short trips, too much idling, or simply babying the motor too much. Do any of these things fit?

I'd get it fixed and keep it. I think you're being a little overly fatalistic to thing that a rare problem will bite twice. Most likely it is a one-time random thing caused by a defect, bad injector, etc. They'll fix it and you'll be good to go. Stuff happens.

- Mark
  • Options
    beancounterbobbeancounterbob Member Posts: 10
    I find the standard spray-on wheel cleaners (meguiars, wheel magic...) etc...are not getting the brake dust/grease off my MINI's wheels. So I have to get down there and wipe it off-- a pain...

anybody had any success with other stuff for the wheels?
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,351
    I've never seen any wheel cleaner work, that didn't require wiping...

I bought whatever the BMW dealer sells, and it seems to work well... but, it is a lot of work....

Many people suggest waxing the wheels, after a thorough cleaning.. That way, it is much easier to wipe off the brake dust the next time....

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    karo_syrupkaro_syrup Member Posts: 2
    Hmmm...sounds all too familiar to me. My engine light started coming on after about 6 months of purchasing my 2003 MINI Cooper S. I took it to the dealership and they told me that it was due to poor fuel quality. I was shocked and told them that I use only premium gas. It's been back in for service for the same thing now 2 times afterwards. The dealership had to replace the knock sensor due to poor fuel quality. I couldn't help myself and took all my receipts out of my purse to show them that I put premium in there only. It's been a few weeks now where the check engine light hasn't come on, but I won't hold my breath.

Have you asked the dealership to check the knock sensor? It might need to be replaced like mine.
  • Options
    karo_syrupkaro_syrup Member Posts: 2
    I bought my pre-owned MINI last year (it's a 2003 Cooper S with only 8,000 miles when I bought it). A year later, my MINI has been in the shop over 15 times with some of the following problems:

Both windown motors - replaced
    Stabilizer link in rear suspention - replaced
    Power seering pump - replaced
    Strut mounts cracked off - replaced
    Radio - didn't display - replaced
    Stuttering in neutral - dealership says the engineers are working on it
    Engine Light comes on - Knock sensor replaced
    Glove box wouldn't close - replaced
    Rattles - fixed
    Handle on door panel fell off - fixed

I can't think of the rest off the top of my hea, but I'm fed up! My MINI is the shop every other week and I get no loan car because it's only a one day service. I wrote a letter to BMW Customer Relations about my continous problems and the hassles of being without a car for a day here and a day there. They seemed sympathic to the situation but haven't offered any solutions to by car problems. Under Texas Lemmon Law, the car has to be in for service at least 3 times within 12,000 miles for the same problem before it can be considered a lemmon. So, I guess it doesn't matter that it's in the shop all the time unless it's for the same thing. After it's all said and done, my $26,000 vehicle might not even be in one piece and driveable.
    Am I in this alone? As much as I love driving my MINI because it handles so well and it looks unique, I can honestly say that it's just not worth it. I rather be driving a Honda for less and know that it will last forever.

I would love to own a BMW M3 someday, but at this rate it's hard to spend so much money on a poor quality product. I am truly disappointed at the MINI/BMW product. I'm kicking myself in the [non-permissible content removed] every month I make that $430 car payment. I wish BMW would take this thing off my hands!
  • Options
    lemonyellowlemonyellow Member Posts: 1
    You are not alone! My story is the same as yours, only with different problems.

Not only is mine at the shop every other month for one weird thing after the next, but the BMW service people take at least 2 times to fix the same problem. Here are some of the odd things that went wrong with mine:
    • The a/c hose leaked into the car and flooded the carpets. Which happened 2 summers in a row, the first time it was diagnosed that I was driving with my door open in the rain (I am not making this up)
    • My fuel gauge broke, and they said they fixed it -- but the very next week, I had to be towed in, with a total roadside breakdown. They say it ran out of gas, even though my gauge said a over a quarter full.
    • The entire sunroof has been replaced, after 3 different attempts to fix it
    • The entire ignition has been replaced, after it seized up and wouldn't start (a 3 week repair, waiting for a part from germany)

There have been other less critical things, the truck latch didn't close, the warning lights go on randomly, weather stripping fell off, the lighter/charger piece in the dash comes out when you remove whatever is plugged in.

I am wondering if its only mine that is a lemon, but I guess not. Which is sad -- I really love driving it when its not in the shop.
  • Options
    jrod26jrod26 Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a pre-owned 2003 Mini with 28,000 miles in August of 2005. Suddenly, the boot would not close properly. A 3/4 gap appeared along top of boot which attributed to the boot not closing securely. The idiot light displayed the boot open. Dealer said I must have forced the boot up too far or someone tried to break in. Impossible. He recommended a body shop take a look at it. The body shop owner said " I repair this problem frequently. The hinge pins are broke". $170.00 later, parts & labor. Can anyone else relate to this
    problem? Is this a problem that Mini manufacturer's and/or dealers are aware of but
    fail to disclose to Mini owners? Is there a potential recall action in the works? Anyone
    know? Thank you.
  • Options
    rayt2rayt2 Member Posts: 1,208
    I hope you handed the bill to Mini service. The dealer can "suppose & speculate" all he wants but bottom line is your still under warranty, broken hinge pins are not normal. If they refuse to pay file complaint with your state attorney general's office, I bet they'll pay up then :mad:

Ray T
  • Options
    akitadogakitadog Member Posts: 117
    Hi all,

I had a rattle under the hood ('05 MCS) that started about a week ago and got progressively worse. I left my car at the dealer yesterday and they diagnosed it as my supercharger coming apart. This is unbelieveable. I've never heard of this problem before from the various MINI message boards. Has this been an issue for anyone else?

They tell me they'll replace the SC, but that could take a week or more, first to get the part, then to install it. I'm also worried that the whole process of disassembly, then reassembly of the appropriate parts will lead to some other problem due to a nut not being tightened as it should or some other small reason.

I hope it's a fluke, but we'll see how the next SC fares.
  • Options
    SC failures are rare, but not unheard of. When you build a couple hundred thousand of anything, some percentage will break. I wouldn't sweat the repair - it's not difficult.

- Mark
  • Options
    It's a mechanical part and subject to failure but it's not something that usually fails. Quality control was probably lacking at factory where it was made.
    I just had the lower steering shaft joint replaced today with 64500 miles. No reason for it to fail other than quality control where it was made. Of course I'm out of warranty so $245 later I'm back on the road. I doubt I will buy another Mini with the histroy my car has racked up in such a short period of time. I was hoping for 5 years of trouble free driving with routine maintenance but it seems not to be after all. :sick:

Ray T. :shades:
  • Options
    If we all start filing reports with http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/ it may eventually result in recalls for various persistant problems. I have had 3 steering rack systems replaced to date and recently the lower steering shaft all within 64k miles on my 2003 Cooper. These are parts that should go an easy 150 - 200k trouble free. The gov can't help if they don't know and I don't believe manf. have any obligation to report problems.........we do. ;)

Ray T. :shades:
  • Options
    I'm going to get on my soapbox on this one:

I don't think the answer is to browbeat a safety agency into forcing mfgs to issue recalls when cars don't meet our own personal standards on how long they should last. There job is to address safety issues, not longevity issues, and in any event, we'd all end up paying for the recalls anyway in higher prices of new cars. It's a zero sum game.

Mfgs issue warranties as their written responsibility to owners and these have defined limits which are generally quite generous. THAT'S THE AGREEMENT ONE MAKES WITH THE MFG WHEN YOU BUY A CAR. And they have a little goodwill money left over to handle extraordinary situations outside of warranty. If one has problems outside it, you fix on your own dime and/or get a different car next time. Trying to hold mfgs to standards where they have to recall cars because they aren't lasting as long as people think they should is a recipe for our cars to cost 2x what they do now.

- Mark
  • Options
    sc1sc1 Member Posts: 1
    This might be the wrong plae to ask this. Would you buy
    an 50 or 06 MCS automatic.

Thanks All
  • Options
    I knew too well Mark, YOU would have something to say, and its obvious you don't understand the purpose of NHTSA, its to protect the consumer. You can be proactive and report the deficiencies to an agency that can effect change and hold the industry accountable or stand on that soapbox selling your opinions to those that will hear. A steering shaft freezing up IS A SAFETY ISSUE, not just a longevity issue. Your acceptance of these deficiencies plays right into a manufactorer's line of thinking. You would have us think that replacing a steering shaft and 3 steering rack assemblies within 64k miles in a new car is within "defined limits which are generally quite generous". I find your applied logic quite humorous. I beg to differ.

:shades:
  • Options
    From NHTSA's website: "Your complaint information will be entered into NHTSA's vehicle owner's complaint database and used with other complaints to determine if a safety-related defect trend exists."

I follow the Mini's problems pretty closely and I've not heard of any safety-related complaints associated with the steering "clicking" problem.

No interest in making this personal, appreciate the same courtesy from you.

- Mark
  • Options
    Karen_SKaren_S Member Posts: 5,092
    I concur. It's okay to disagree, but personal jabs are inappropriate. Thanks for taking the high road.
  • Options
    I find no reason to get personal either, SHOUTING from the soapbox is in itself inappropriate and personal, I think you can understand that Karen. ;)

I mentioned nothing about "clicking" but rather a failure of the shaft due to the one of the universal joints freezing up. To a less experienced driver this failure could be a little unnerving when the steering wheel fails to right itself after exiting a turn, you physically must assist the wheel in its return. There was no warning it was going to fail it just did. "I follow the Mini's problems pretty closely and I've not heard of any safety-related complaints associated with the steering "clicking" problem."

Because you haven't heard of them does not mean they don't exist. Do you really think Mini is going to tell us how many instances they get on failed parts.....I think not. There will either be a recall generated thru the efforts of consumer complaint's or technical service bulletins issued internally should the customer complain about that specific type of failure targeted by TSB. As an example the steering rack assembly failure, when I brought it to their attention they admitted there was a TSB on this problem and service it based on individual customer complaints, TSB issued internally. Why is this my 3rd steering rack assembly? The Manf./dealers are under no obligation to tell you about TSBs.
    So we can agree to disagree.

Ray T.
  • Options
    Ray, if I was "shouting" in my original post, I apologize.

And I certainly agree that if anyone's steering actually failed (as in something broke which caused an impairment in steering function), reporting it on the NHTSA website is completely appropriate. Your report is the first I've heard of this. The typical steering problems reported are that steering has a notchy/clicking sensation which I don't believe has anything to do with the steering actually failing. That's been the problem with mine and it is only noticeable in cold temperatures. It's the only problem I've had in my 2004 in 15K miles.

I think one issue with the Mini's steering gear problems is that the dealers aren't replacing the right parts and/or botching the repair. Many times the rack is replaced, and while this repair may cause a temporary reduction in the symptoms, the problem is almost always in the column itself. My dealer replaced the rack to fix the problem; they may have reported fluid leaking into the rack boot - I don't recall. But it didn't markedly change the clicking problem. Those who have had the column replaced seem to report much better results in affecting a permanent repair.

- Mark
  • Options
    xbmwxbmw Member Posts: 4
    My wife's 2006 Cooper-S is only two weeks old, and we truly love this car. The only problem we have is the wind noise generated by the factory (dealer installed) roof rack. I brought it over to the dealer (TOM BUSH BMW/MINI - Jacksonville, Fla.), and they say there's not much they can do about it. Indeed, I reviewed the installation instructions, and they followed them accurately. Has anyone else experienced this same problem? Any ideas on how to fix it? I have noticed some minor gaps in the hardware that could be contributing to the noise. I'm tempted to "seal" them with silicone, or some other similar product, but before I do it, I thought I would ask around. I'll appreciate any help!
  • Options
    xbmw, having put racks of four or five different cars over the year, I've never had a single one that didn't add a LOT of wind noise and whistling. About the only "fix" tha ever worked was an accessory deflector that moved the wind up and over the front crossbar, although I think the Mini OEM rack has the front crossbar pretty far back. I also see Thule and Yakima sell fairings for the front crossbar, perhaps they could be adapted.

Good luck with a fix, but this is one of those things you may just want to learn to live with. Or take it on/off the car as you need to use it - racks chew up a surprising amount of gas and the MCS is already thirsty for it's size.

- Mark
  • Options
    rob999rob999 Member Posts: 233
    P21S (a German brand) will do the job, especially the gel version. Available in the USA through web/mail sites. Do a Google search for a vendor.

I usually keep my wheels pretty clean, but last winter I went a little too long in between wheel cleanings on my Saab and ended up with a thick coating of brake dust. Used P21S and the wheels ended up looking like new again. Some scrubbing was required, but the other brands I tried didn't work at all.
  • Options
    sadieesadiee Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone know where to find TSB's for 2004 Mini?
  • Options
    www.alldata.com has the titles, but you have to subscribe to get the actual bulletins.

- Mark
  • Options
    minitechminitech Member Posts: 11
    Try a degreaser and a power washer. Local dealer uses an acid based cleaner and seems to work great. Make sure you wash it off quick though.
  • Options
    minitechminitech Member Posts: 11
    Buy the 6 speed-more fun. personal opinion.
  • Options
    khoolmankhoolman Member Posts: 3
    I have a red 2004 Cooper which I just love driving. The ownership however is another story. I have had it in to the dealer on average once a month since I purchased it 14 months ago.

I've gone through 3 steering columns, a new steering wheel due to the leather peeling off, 6 attempts to fix a loose trim on the rear pillar and two attempts at fixing an unstuck trim on the driver's side passenger window.

I now have a loud creaking sound coming from the sun roof when it's open, and they tell me it will need to be replaced. I'm also noticing quite a bit of creaking from the steering wheel when parking.

I really love the drive (albeit somewhat underpowered, especially when the air con is running) and the "personality" of my Mini, but I worry that I haven't seen the worst yet. I was getting quite embarrassed showing up at my dealer every few weeks (and they were getting sick of seeing me) and so I changed dealers. I have been to my new dealer 3 times in two weeks.

My heart ache is that I'm really fed up with the unreliability of my Mini and that I am forced to look at a more reliable replacement, before things start to get expensive.

Anyone got any advice? :lemon:
  • Options
    I'd vote to part ways.

Many of the problems you're having are the fit/finish variety, rather than anything terribly serious (although I don't know how bad your steering columns issues are/were) and fit/finish issues can be awfully subjective. One person may be totally unaware of issues that will drive another crazy. So if you could see your way clear to let some of this stuff slide, then mechanically, the car might be sound.

But overall, it sounds like you'd be happier in a Honda. Life's short and who wants to spend it at a car dealership?

- Mark
  • Options
    cooperladycooperlady Member Posts: 7
    Well its sounds like You either got a lemon car to start off with or maybe you driving to rough?
  • Options
    cooperladycooperlady Member Posts: 7
    Hey while I have had Hondas before and liked everyone I have had there is no way to even compare a Mini to Honda for the Mini is a blast and hey its a Sports Car
  • Options
    And a S2000 isn't? The new Civic SI is a darn nice car too, easily as sporty as the Mini.

Don't get me wrong, I love Minis, but there are a LOT of good cars out there and if you're having back luck with a Mini, there's no reason to stay married with someone who is unfaithful. As I said, life's short.

- Mark
  • Options
    I've decided to give my Mini more time. I test drove a Golf and some Subarus on the weekend, and although there are some nice cars out there, every time I got back in the Mini it felt like home. Furthermore, the Mini is unique. There's just nothing I've been in recently that compares to the "vibe", it's styling or the fun factor.

For the record, I treat my Mini like a princess (much to my wife's disgust) and pamper it highly. The problems I've had are mostly minor but annoying just the same. I drive my care relatively easy (most of the time - heh, heh) and since I had negotiated a 3rd year on my warranty at purchase (factory warranty is on 2 yrs. in Australia), I think I will sit tight for now.

Let's hope I can sit happily. :confuse:
  • Options
    racknestracknest Member Posts: 1
    HI,
    I have the same problem with your DSC and the tire pressure lights coming on. I have a 2005 Cooper-S and this happens frequently on a straight away cruising over 60 MPH. I have made a complain about this to my dealer but was told that this is normal if the wheel made some kind of skid. According to the dealer, lights will go away after car is stopped and ignition is turned off. I think this is weird.
    Maybe this has something to do with a wire harness routing recall problem issued in 2004 as I was made aware off just recently.
    Have you fixed your problem yet?
  • Options
    I think the dealer is brushing you off. While flashing of the DSC light when the car is sliding is normal, it is not normal for it to come on and stay on. If it happened one time, I might write it up to a computer or sensor glitch, but if it is happening repeatedly, then you've got a problem.

Same with the TPMS, although they're considerably more quirky. I suspect if you were driving in slipperly conditions, you might get some "false positives" that would require reset now and then, but again, it shouldn't be a regular day-to-day thing.

The reset that occurs when you turn the car off is fixing the symptom, but not the problem.

- Mark
  • Options
    nordonnordon Member Posts: 3
    anyone had any problems with the front struts,the very top rubber looking cap/bushing that you can see under the hood on the cooper s? my recent trip to dealer for wiper problem,(new motor needed),uncovered a worse one with the struts,some sort of bushing splitting/cracking .Dealer tells me warranty does not cover part said aggressive driving or driving through pot holes to blame.Parts $35 labour $600.00+and having to deal mini customer service priceless. has anyone had this done under warranty

ps the dealer in Baton Rouge STINKS check their service work,told me they had changed $41.00 micro filter and didn't shame on you :mad:
  • Options
    crunchcrunch Member Posts: 84
    I have seen this before, it's not that frequent but it does occur. The dealers usually do not cover it under warranty since it can be caused by pot holes as you described. The $600 labor seem to be a bit stiff. I can replace both parts in about 2 hours, at home, no lift, just a jack and jacks stands. I do have the proper tools. I would suggest that you find someone other than your local MINI dealer to do this repair. BTW, make sure that the shock tower is not also bent. This sometimes happens too.
  • Options
    Ok, I'm now positive that the $600 labor is excessive. I installed camber plates today, about the same thing but did require a bit more labor. I also removed and replaced the front brake pads and applied anti-squeel stuff and all that took me 2 hours 10 min.
  • Options
    nordonnordon Member Posts: 3
    Crunch did you install original parts back or is there an after market alternative available?
    I don't want to put back mini parts as i feel they are not up to task( poor quality)
    Also after installing new parts dealer said alignment needed,any thoughts on this .
  • Options
    I don't know of any factory spec aftermarket parts, only performance parts that alter the camber settings. All cost way more that MINI parts. I would try to find an independent garage to do the work and avoid the MINI dealer unless they will fix it under warranty.
  • Options
    creekchiefcreekchief Member Posts: 1
    Bought my 2003 Mini in Miami. Live in Texas. Took it to Momentum Mini in Houston 2 weeks ago.
    I was working on the wiring in the garage and heard a strange sound - looked down and saw the sunroof opening - all by itself - no key in the car !!! Then noticed both windows were halfway down !!!! Momentum said a marker light was not hooked up and they hooked it up - related ??
    Anyone else had a problem like this ???
  • Options
    This is what is supposed to happen if you press the unlock key on the remote and hold it down. The idea is that you can get he car aired out quickly in hot weather.

Did you have the remote on your person? Any chance you inadvertently were pressing the unlock button? If not, how about the 2nd key - somebody in the house fooling around?

- Mark
  • Options
    An update on my Mini Cooper saga.

A few days after my last post I took the car in to have a rattle looked at in the sunroof and guess what? I was told I had to replace the sunroof cartridge and by the way, "you need a new steering column" - that's four in just over a year.

I took the car in for what was supposed to be a day job - get a phone call at around 4:30 p.m. saying the car won't be ready for another day and sorry, but we have no courtesy car for you - they're all out. So I get my wife to travel 60-km round trip to pick me up, and do it all again the next day so I can pick up the car.

Pick up the car, get on the freeway to go home and I notice the cruise control not working. Jump off the freeway and notice that a new vibrating noise is now audible from the sun-roof when revved passed 4000-rpm. Drive the car into my driveway for an overall inspection and notice numerous scratches and scuff marks all over the door trims, seat backs and rear. Glue drips on the CD stacker and fine shrapnel over the bulk of the interior.

The car was taken back yet again and the problems rectified. Whilst this was being done I purchased a new Forester XS Luxury. The Mini is now history. Not to say it was an easy decision, but I was way over the monthly visits to the dealer. :lemon:
  • Options
    jcminijcmini Member Posts: 1
    spark plug pulling threads from head.
  • Options
    ole1ole1 Member Posts: 3
    I own a 2002 MCS and last week noticed a small lake on the floor of the passenger side. I called the dealer but like so many other owners of the cars had little positive feed back!! I noticed that only one other person/owner had ever posted this problem!! Has this never happened to anyone else??
    Also does anyone know if there is a shop manual available for the MCS if so where can I get one??

Cheers
  • Options
    Bentley has a shop manual out:

http://outmotoring.com/mini_cooper_bentleyr_service_manual.html

Your lake is probably due to a windshield leak, a door leak, or a clogged evaporator on your A/C system, in that order of probability. This is something that I'd let the dealer fix - I doubt it is a DIY. Did you ever have the windshield replaced?

I'm clueless what you mean by the dealer not giving "positive feeback". Did they not want to look at the problem?

- Mark
  • Options
    angel723angel723 Member Posts: 7
    Hi all,
    I am currently in a little situation with my new MCS, and I really apprecaite any help possible. My MCS is currently in the dealer for an airbag light that came on over the weekend. The dealer told me they replace the passenger airbag sensor but the light came back on again. There's currently a TSB to update the software. However, the software is not avaible yet. So the light will be on while I drive the car, and they can't do anything as this point.

Now, my questions is:
    How is a airbag light being on not a safty issue? Is it safe for me to drive the car?
  • Options
    The only safety issue is that the airbags may not deploy in an accident. For a short period waiting for a repair to be completed, this wouldn't be a show-stopper for me, but then I drove for thirty years in cars with no airbags.

- Mark
  • Options
    ole1ole1 Member Posts: 3
    markjenn...
    when you say that the a/c evaporator may be clogged, how would the water get in??
    There is no visable hole or transfer area open to the outside. When I wash the car I get soap suds inside, around the hood release.
    Thanks for the manual reference, I will order one asap.
    In reference to the dealer, they will not give me any info on the car until they have it on the hoist, and the clock $$$ is ticking!!!! They are not at all helpful!!
    cheers!
This discussion has been closed.