Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Land Cruiser

Comments

• Options
    hank14hank14 Member Posts: 133
    I wouldn't want to ride back there for an extended trip. I think they're great for kids, though. I keep mine in storage (99 LC), but I have pulled them out to use for trips to the mountains. I can fit two large dog kennels side by side in the back of my rig with the middle seats up and the 3rd seats out, and still have room on top for other stuff as well.
  • Options
    grantchstrgrantchstr Member Posts: 371
    On long trips my family - kids over 6 3" - prefer the third row seats so that they can stretch out their legs - with the middle seats in the up position. Just a thought.
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Actually, On longer trips, I used to do that a lot! Basically the loads tend to be to the middle and to the extreme rear of the vehicle! There is of course leg room to die for!
  • Options
    vavavavolvovavavavolvo Member Posts: 110
    Considering that the side curtain airbags in the new LC's and LX470's only protect the first and second rows, your last sentence could be truer than you think.
  • Options
    Given the IIHS and NHTSA statistics, they indicate that the literal intrepretation is HIGHLY unlikely! Especially in a TLC variant!

Another item of interest a while back when the ABS was put on the TLC. There was a government and insurance push to encourage folks to buy products WITH ABS. They offered insurance discounts for vehicles having ABS. While I did not buy the TLC for the ABS mode, it happen to come new and so... Not even 5 years into ownership the insurance company renegged on the insurance discount for ABS citing amoung other things that there was NO statistical correlation showing ABS equiped vehicles as being statistically safer. :(
  • Options
    As a TLC owner I would like to think this is correct, but I have looked for the evidence that you allude to and not been able to find it. I don't think it exists. Namely, NHTSA nor IIHS (nor the japanese or european safety testing agencies referred to by links on the IIHS website) has not ever conducted a crash test or rollover evaluation (either the previous "predicted" one based on weight distribution or the current dynamic one) on an FJ100 TLC or LX470. So it is an act of faith based on the general excellent construction of the vehicle.

The ABS point is correct. Please don't get me started on insurance companies though. We all know they will do all they can to justify raising rates or denying discounts, independent of anything to do with safety. It could be that abs became so common that like seatbelts, bumpers, padded dashes and safety glass there was nothing to "reward" you for. I have read that some drivers have assumed that because the car has abs they can go faster and still be able to stop short, giving creedence to the insurer's argument that it results in no statistical lowering of accident rates.

What isn't arguable is the actual benefits of the head protection side airbag systems. There is now both crash test and real world data that shows 45% and over reduction in death in side impacts.
    http://www.hwysafety.org/news_releases/2003/pr082603.htm

I, like you, think this is a very safe car. That's why I got it. I just wish someone would prove it in this standard manner. I assume it is about cost and bureaucratically unjustifiable based on the low numbers sold.
  • Options
    Well, that is the point exactly! Not only are we statistically safer in a TLC but the forementioned seat and load configuration is such that it might be considered a statistical oddity. So natch, there would not be enough data to massage.

In regards to the ABS, even with the misconception that you have noted, most folks don't even have a clue that its main reason for existence is to be able to steer with so called full lock up of the brakes. (without abs, obviously) ABS will continue to modulate the brakes so there is NO lock up.

However as you infer, ABS does not counter act the physics involved! While one should keep in practice deliberately functioning the ABS and doing the steering to maintain the "feel"; the real question is how many folks % and/or number actually do this enough or even at all? :(:)
  • Options
    ukromaukroma Member Posts: 5
    My 1998 V8 has started to emit a loud screeching sound whenever I apply the emergency brake by pulling on the handbrake. There is no noise when the vehicle is stationary or when I use the footbrake. If I pull the handbrake at low speeds (just before stopping completely or as I'm pulling away from a stop) I hear a very loud screeching noise, clearly related to the rear wheels revolving.

Any ideas or suggestions would be most welcome.
  • Options
    I've seen small rocks/gravel get caught in the brake mechanism, perhaps that is causing it. What about a wear indicator- I'm not sure if the parking brake has one or not.
  • Options
    mdaryamdarya Member Posts: 11
    Does this make sense. Emailed Toyota about the lean on my '04 LC. Directed to dealer customer service rep. He says is "known by Toyota" that LC's have some lean. The torsion bar is not adjustable, but there is a shim that can be placed to level things out. He has ordered them. Doesn't seem to fit with what I am hearing on this board. Any ideas?
  • Options
    steelcruisersteelcruiser Member Posts: 402
    I'd like to know WHY the TBars are not adjustable on your '04--have there been any changes since the '02 model (which is what I have) and just where do these shims go?

If you crawl under your rig and locate the front end of the rear drive shaft then you should see a "cross member" in that area. (this is just ahead of the gas tank) Look on each side, toward the outer portion of the under carriage and you should be able to see a large nut--takes a 32mm socket--this is the adjustment for the TBars. If you're directly under the adjusting nut, the TBar will be a few inches to the left of the nut on the left side and a few inches to the right on the right side. The bars are about an inch in diameter and you can see them quite clearly. Let me know if you locate these nuts. Once you see them, and "study" the layout under there a bit, I think you'll have an idea of the adjustments that you should be able to make.

I've raised my front end via "twisting" up the TBars as I've installed a lift and it's pretty straight forward. I'd be interested in knowing more about the shims etc as this whole issue about adjusting the height of the IFS cruisers is a bit of a hot topic for those that would like a little more ride height in the front.
  • Options
    Looked under just briefly and as you described, there is a nice goldish, large nut attached to what looks like a long screw with the bar. I am beginning to think my dealer, and Toyota don't know their vehicle. I will call a suspension or off road place before having the shims placed.
  • Options
    hichic Member Posts: 8
    Technically, it is a "Parking Brake" not an "Emergency Brake". Yeah, I guess if the master fails and you have no brakes you may want to use it in an emergency, but don't expect it to stop the car very fast. Heck, it can barely hold the car on a steep hill when in neutral.

As stated before, the main problem is probably some comtamination between the brake shoe and the braking surface. Easy to clean out for the do-it-yourselfer.

On the other hand, if you have been using it for braking and not just parking, there may be some premature wear.

There was a TSB on the 98's for excessive parking break noise when backing up: seems that it was not releasing quickly enough. Small chance that that is your problem?

HiC
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    Went over to the dealer to test drive an 04 LC. It's a great truck. The dealer experience wasn't the greatest. Gave me an extremely low value for my trade in and then kept up the pressure for me to sign the contract. Was a typical dealership expericence. I told them that I wasn't going to take 8K for a 99ML320 with 68K miles on it and I wasn't going to make a 53K investment without thinking over it. The sales guy brought his manager who then brought his manager i.e. (managers's manager). Anyway I am going to try to sell my ML320 myself. For my LC, I refuse to go to a dealership to negotiate the price. I am going to negotiate the price over the phone and go there just to sign the papers and pick up the truck.
  • Options
    Glad you were able to locate the adjustment nuts. You can place a bottle jack near the inner edge of the body piece to which the nut is attached to apply some lift and release tension on the Tbar, then adjust the bar up or down as needed. i.e if you're under the passenger side adjusting nut, look to the left, about 3" or so of the adjusting nut and put the jack near the end of the black metal undercarriage component to which the nut is attached. This supports some of the weight of the truck at this point and makes the adjustment easier. Turning the bolt clockwise raises the truck.

HTH
  • Options
    Thanks for the instructions. I will try it this week and let you know how it goes. I appreciate the help.
  • Options
    By the way, spoke with another Toyota service department and he said the torsion bar has not been adjustable since the new body style (which he thought occurred in 2000). Also said he has never seen one with any lean to it.
  • Options
    The new 100 Series was introduced in1998, and no changes to the body since then. I'm really puzzled by the answers you're getting from the Toy dealers you're speaking with. I don't, however, want to undermine your confidence in them, as it sounds as though they'll be doing your maintenance for you?
  • Options
    seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    I drove down the Autobahn about 10 years ago when right in front of me a car with trailer drifted over into the other lane toward an LC (80 series). The guy driving the LC over compensated, jerking his truck around so hard that it completely spun sideways. We were all going at least 80 mph, and the LC started rolling. Did about 3 full rolls right in front of me before sliding off the road into the ditch.

I pulled over, ran back only to see the guy climbing out of the ditch asking me if I had gotten the other driver's license plate number. He seemed shaken, but as far as I could tell uninjured.

I checked into Land Cruisers the very next day, but being still in college at the time they were out of reach. Today when going on a road trip, I have no doubt that I'm driving my family around in one of the safest vehicles one can buy.
  • Options
    tlcmantlcman Member Posts: 220
    Amen, brings back shaking memories that made me a beliver too
  • Options
    It is reassuring to hear that the man did so well after rolling his TLC at 80mph. These reports of survivable rollovers are bittersweet.....obviously would prefer they didn't roll when you tug the wheel at a decent clip. And of course as with any anecdotal reports we don't know the denominator and how many people we "aren't hearing from". Just wish they would crash one into a barrier and get 5 stars in all respects (as I think they would) and settle it objectively.
  • Options
    She went off the road on the right, cranked it to the left and froze (she could have saved it if she steered into it, but she was unexperianced), the LC started a 180* rotation on its wheels, we didnt flip, going sideways at 60(me looking out the passenger window at the oncoming trafic muttering a few german swear words, but with full trust in my car) , the fact that we didnt flip is thanks to the solid axles. we ended up facing the oposite way and rolling off the other side of the road. So it didnt flip when she tugged it, just when we went off the embankment. I thought we should have flipped on the road but its a LC and i guess anything is possible
  • Options
    seattlecruiserseattlecruiser Member Posts: 45
    I don't think there is any SUV type vehicle out there that you couldn't flip if you put some effort into it. With 10 inches of ground clearance and over 70 inches overall height, the laws of physics will catch up with you one way of the other. Also remember that this was before they had electronic stabilization systems and possibly even ABS.

In this case, too, he was sliding sideways (rotated 90 degrees) for quite a ways on the wet surface (I can still remember thinking how odd that looked) before then flipping at pretty good force. Taking pictures of Explorers after a single roll during the Firestone fiasco as a comparison, I can say the structural rigidity of the Land Cruiser is quite amazing. Remember that he rolled it three full times on road surface, not on some softer ground that would give in and cushion the impact..

Maybe it would be nice to see the "official" 5 stars, but if I had to be in an accident, I would choose an LC (preferably not my own) over most 5 star rated vehicles in a heartbeat. Think about it: Would you rather be in a Ford Windstar? (That's 5 stars for you right there!)
  • Options
    cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    Is the 04 you drove a new one? I know there are still a few new 04's sitting around here and there...
      My dealer finally got an allocation for an 05 with the rear DVD and XM radio. Black w/Ivory.
    Now my wife is getting cold feet. Arrrggghh!
    I made the mistake of telling her that I heard (on this board, of course) that they might be changing the style for 06 or 07 and now she's thinking we should hold out. I am really not sure what to do; naturally, our salesman is down-playing any changes and saying that they would be "minor" because it is such a classic style, etc., etc....
    Maybe I can sell her on the safety aspects that have been discussed here lately. I mean, were driving a Yukon XL right now and that thing is a handful!
  • Options
    mobiweldmobiweld Member Posts: 99
    Don't know if this is actually the new body style or not...

http://www.pbase.com/drexx/image/35331210
  • Options
    highly doubtfull, Folks heres the thing, SEMA is this in full swing and if we hear anything it will be for 2007 or 2008 modle year, it is far too late for any major changes for 2006 and its almost too late for 2007. I have not seen one spy photo of a new Land cruiser, and Ive looked very hard. If ur in the market Buy now, you will not regret you choice. If not you will be sitting on you hands for another 2 years at best. A new Modle is coming out and it is the FJ (styling cues from FJ-40) born from a concept introduced one or two years ago. I am pretty sure it will be brought into production, but it is not a Land cuiser replacemnt, just an ode to the past. Its modern and will not apeal to most in the market for traditional Toyota sytling.
  • Options
    george7george7 Member Posts: 9
    Well I finally have 40K+ on my LC and the OE tires are still fine for summer, but a little sketchy for the northern NE winters. So picked up a set of used alloy rims on ebay (for $252 delivered!) and want to shoe them with a dedicated winter tire that is good for both deep snow/slush and ice. I have the blizzaks for the volvo and they are great for ice, but not for deep snow (OK - not the deep snow vechicle).

I plan to stay with the stock size 275/70 16

The procomp A/T's are severe weather rated, any experience with them. Any recommendations?
  • Options
    mercaramercara Member Posts: 291
    The model I took a test drive on was an 04 with about 500 miles on it. I am an old timer and would prefer the current version to any any new version. The problem with newer cars is that they have too much computer/electronic gadgetry in them, like BMW's idrive. Would you want your car running Windows? Think of the times your computer has crashed? I will probably get the current model and keep it for 10 years.
  • Options
    Everything I've seen in magazines indicates a redesign in 2006. And if memory serves, Toyota Japan does a pretty good job at keeping a lid on new products. I walked the Toyota booth at SEMA last week, and I don't remember seeing any Land Cruiser representation, so I'm not sure a lack of a pre-production LC at SEMA necessarily means it's 2 or 3 years off.
  • Options
    Where do you live? Are you wanting tires for on road snow and ice, or off? Everything talked about here in the past indicates that a true winter snow tire is the way to go, even better than chains in many places. I do not know what types there are, though. What year is your LC?
  • Options
    flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    A San Diego based publication had the following information with respect to the LC and LX.

http://sdunion.p2ionline.com/SpecialSections/popup/index.aspx?web- - storyid=7311842&AdgroupID=27894

• LX 470: A global redesign of the Land Cruiser platform is slated for March 2005. But the LX 470 might not migrate to the new platform. The redesign for the United States might be delayed until the 2008 model year, when the LX 470 could become a bells-and-whistles version of the Sequoia.
    • Land Cruiser: On paper, the SUV is too pricey for the Toyota line, but the nameplate’s brand equity is too strong to kill it in the U.S. lineup. Given the typical seven-year truck cycle, the global redesign should come next spring, as a 2006 model.

Should be an interesting Spring 2005. I think the picture posted above looks more like a redesign for the Sequoia, but who knows. If that is the LC, I am going to the lot tomorrow to purchase an '05.
  • Options
    george7george7 Member Posts: 9
    Hank,
    I live in northern MA, drive to northern NY and VT often in the winter. Primarily on road and drive an LC 2000. I surfed the web last night and have come up with a couple good looking alternatives. First, as a primarily road car looking at ice, then snow traction which has led me toward a dedicated ice tire.

I think i would be happy with the Bridgestone Winter Dueler DMZ2. Not sure I need to spend the extra ~ $30-40/tire for the Blizzak DMZ3 (a little better at hydro evac, not much). Also, stipping a Revo AT looks like a good way to go, just a $$ issue, but would give a better true off road tire (not worth it for me though).

Anyone running the DMZ2 on their LC?
  • Options
    Motor Trends Online site shows that the Toyota Land Cruiser will be "Redesigned" for the model year 2006
  • Options
    flyfish4lifeflyfish4life Member Posts: 103
    Anyone know Toyota's history w/ debuting high profile models during the January international auto shows. I seem to recall that the 100 series debuted during one of the January 1998 auto shows or thereabouts. Anyone have any feel on whether the 2006 LC will be debuted in the January 2005 auto shows or at least a prototype? Not sure what incentive Toy would have to keep such a tight lid on this vehicle given low production and minimal competition (primarily Range Rover).
  • Options
    Well I bought my TLC in 1990 after I saw it at the Auto Show - when the last major body change occurred. I wanted to drive a car that was a quality machine and which would keep its "shape" for 15 years or more - unlkike 99% of models which change every three years or so. But it looks like my ship is coming in..... But I still have another 120,000 miles to go before I switch.....
  • Options
    What is your mileage goal? Where are you at now? Just wondering.
  • Options
    andy2andy2 Member Posts: 2
    I just started having starter problems mentioned in some older posts on my 2000LC with 68K. The dealer quote to fix was 1000 for rebuilt to 1250 for new. My dilemma is that my lease is up in March and we were planning to replace it in Jan or Feb. The problem is intermittent and the dealer couldn't get it to happen. Anyone have any ideas if we'll make it.

My second dilemma is whether to replace it with another LC (would be our 4th) since there is so much talk about changes for 2006, or to consider the GX470. Our kids are mostly grown, so we usually just use the 3rd row for short drives. I don't like the swing out back door, but the Lexus warranty and service loaners are a plus. Has anyone taken both for a test drive?
  • Options
    dhalendhalen Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a 97 TLC, however, I saw on Consumer Reports that they list the brakes as "Much worse than average."
    The electrical system was listed as "worse than average."
    Does anyone have any feedback on the electrical and brakes on the 97 model?

Thanks
  • Options
    cruiserlustcruiserlust Member Posts: 19
    After owning everything in the Toyota lineup from a 73 Celica, 79 Corona, 83 pickup, 89 pickup, 95 Tacoma and 97 4-Runner - I am finally the proud owner of a 2005 Land Cruiser!
    It is Black/Ivory, all the usual extras plus C7 Convenience pkg. and XM Satellite radio.
    We ended up at 57850, which is decent I think. This is only the second LC my dealer has sold this year.
     I decided not to trade the Yukon because their offer was very low and our salesman admitted that I could do a lot better on my own.

It was a pretty nice buying experience. Our salesperson actually demonstrated knowledge of Land Cruisers, which is rare in my experience.
    The only thing was the business manager's sales pitch for extended warranty. That is always a turn-off for me.

It is a great car; I can't bring myself to put the kids car seats in just yet... I even joked about keeping the Yukon to haul the kids in, but I know that isn't going to fly.
  • Options
    I have clocked around 118,000 so its only about half cooked apparently!
  • Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    There was a good article regarding extended warranties today in USA Today. It was in the article about insurance fraud. I don't think I would have anything to do with one that wasn't sponsored by Toyota. I'm debating on getting one for my 04 4Runner, that so far has been stone reliable, which makes me think why do I need one?
    Congrats on your LC - I've always wanted one, but couldn't justify the price.
    Cheers
    Pat
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This one turned up in my news alerts today, but I don't see the USA Today one:

An extended warranty may be a good deal (Detroit News)

The article is subtitled:

"On the other hand, you could be throwing away your money due to better product reliability."

I always did like subtitles :-)

Steve, Host
  • Options
    Congratulations. I too have an 05 and love it. Funny but my first Toyota was also a 73 Celica. It was an ST model with a 93 hp engine (18RC) that was a pleasure to work on. That was my solitary vehicle from 1975 when I bought it used for 2700 dollars until I traded in in 1990 on an Acura Legend. I wish I had kept it...you just don't see those around.

You got it at a good price. The extended warranty is always a tough decision when you are buying something so reliable.
  • Options
    kullenbergkullenberg Member Posts: 283
    Steve: I think it was in the Money Section, having to do with AIG (the Ins Co.)
  • Options
    Heh, you were supposed to find the link for me :-)

Here it is:

USA Today

AIG is my car insurance carrier, fwiw.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    It looks like the risk of not actually being paid for a claim on a commercially underwritten policy as compared to a manufacturers policy is a lot greater.

Below is an example (not auto!) of how insurance companies weedle out of claims!

Dahlin case marks landmark ruling

Dahlin was a regular international for Sweden
    Lawyers representing Blackburn Rovers have won a preliminary issue over the case of former striker Martin Dahlin.
    Dahlin's Rovers' career was ended by a prolapsed disc in his back in 1997 and Blackburn are looking for a £4m-plus payout from the player's insurers.

Laytons Solicitors have won a ruling from judge Justice Moore-Bick that the injury was not just normal wear and tear but was "abnormal degeneration."

Former Sweden international Dahlin's case will be heard next April.

Daniel Izza, a partner with Laytons, says the degeneration issue is vitally important to clubs and their players.

"For the past 10 years the clubs that thought they had a claim have been warned off as a result of insurers relying on a very wide interpretation of the clause," Izza told BBC Sport.

"It does give clubs the opportunity of considering claiming from the past six years when similar claims in the past might have been rejected by the insurance companies.

• Options
    It looks like the risk of not actually being paid for a claim on a commercially underwritten policy as compared to a manufacturers policy is a lot greater.

The Warranty Gold contract holders with bankruptcy claims would likely agree with that!

Steve, Host
  • Options
    I believe the extended warranty and can be written anytime up until the manufacturer's warranty expires. So what's the hurry? If the truck seems solid at 30,000 miles, roll the dice. If the truck has had issues and you have concerns, then get an extended warranty.
  • Options
    suvb4wintersuvb4winter Member Posts: 27
    I test drove both the LC and the GX 470 yesterday. In terms of a quieter, smoother ride, I think the LC had it over the GX( I tested the LX 470 too - it was head and shoulders above both of them, but so was the price!). The GX was more athletic, but I felt more of the bumps in the road, as well as some shimmying and body lean on turns. The GX had more luxurious leather seats, fit and finish and a great sound system. In terms of size, the Land Cruiser was more generous with space for passengers as well as cargo. The warranty and loaner availability were superior at Lexus. It is a tough call for us, since the size of the LC is ideal for us, but I hate to be buying at the end of a model's life span. In fact, the Toyota sales manager told me that 2005 is the last year for the Land Cruiser - that they were being discontinued. The Lexus manager said that's not true - he went on to tell us that Lexus thought of changing the LX 470 over to the Sequoia frame, but that buyers in the Northeast think that's too big for their garages and parking garages. He thought LX and Land Cruiser, which he states will NOT be discontinued, grows by about 3 inches in length next year. From what I have been reading, I don't think either of them know what's going on.
  • Options
    I can tell you with 100% certainty that the Landcruiser will Not be discontinued. The name holds too mutch prestige for it to be dropped. Toyota has made a online profile showcasing the LC... they havent done that for other cars, so expect to see the LC live for as long as the toyota name lives... That sales man was probably trying to make you think that so that you would be more inclined to buy the car. either way the LC is a killer choice. Motor Trend reported that the LC will be remodled in 2006. IMO motor trend is a pretty reliable source when it comes to cars. So its not likly that Toyota will kill its truck that is known throughout most of the world as an off roading king.