Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Escape Mazda Tribute Maintenance and Repair

Comments

• Will all these recalls that have been discussed here effect my Escape? I won't even be getting it until Nov 20th.
  • Does anybody know that the relability of the transmission?
  • a couple people posted that their tranny went very early (1800/2500miles) other posts have said there is a tranny recall. still others complain about noise and rough shifting....i thought this was essentially the same transmission that logged
    50 bazillion miles in the tarus, so you think they would have it right by now. ours seems to operate very smoothly/quietly, of course we just got it a few days ago, so only time will tell.
  • i was thinking of trading in my '95 honda accord V6 for a new tribute. After reading these posts, i've reconsidered. sorry you are all having so many problems... it sounds as if the mazda nameplate is more ford than japan.
  • kate5000kate5000 Posts: 1,267
    Escape/Tribute tranny is the same as used in V4 auto 626, not the Taurus tranny (but V6 engine is Duratec from Taurus)
  • I was also going to buy a Tribute but found out in time it's nothing but a Ford. I got myself a Hyundai Santa Fe. You might want to check one out.
  • Here is a techinical service bulletin for one of the tranny problems.

FORD: 1994-97 PROBE
    1994-2000 CONTOUR
    2001 ESCAPE
    MERCURY: 1994-2000 MYSTIQUE
    1999-2001 COUGAR

ISSUE:
    Some vehicles may exhibit no forward gear ranges due to the misalignment of the forward/coast clutch cylinder snap ring with respect to the legs of the forward clutch piston.

ACTION:
    During assembly of the forward/coast clutch cylinder, the gap in the select fit retaining ring should be located midway (i.e., 45 degrees) between adjacent legs of the forward clutch piston. Refer to the following Service Procedure for details.

SERVICE PROCEDURE
    Prior to installing the forward and coast clutch plates into the cylinder, note the location of the four (4) forward piston legs (Figure 1).
    Mark the top of the cylinder with a felt tip marker midway between any two adjacent legs (i.e., 45 degrees or 4 external spline teeth from the center of any leg) (Figure 2).
    NOTE: THE FORWARD PISTON LEGS WILL NO LONGER BE VISIBLE WHEN CLUTCH PACK AND RETAINER IS INSTALLED.

Following the Service or Workshop Manual procedure, install the clutch plates.
    Position the ends of the snap ring such that the gap is aligned with the mark on the top of the cylinder (the 45 degree mark) (Figure 3).
    Perform end clearance check as required.

OTHER APPLICABLE ARTICLES:
    NONE

WARRANTY STATUS:
    INFORMATION ONLY
  • gpm5gpm5 Posts: 785
    These problems and recall seem to be an extension of FORDs tranny problems in many of their vehicles including the WIndstar 3.6L which I own. While the tranny may be from a 626, everything has to fit and work together. Seems like that is not the case. I was considering a tribute because of all the hype it was getting before it came out. I decided against it and bought an Isuzu trooper. The trooper is a great all around vehicle for about the same price. MUCH more cargo room and better legroom in the rear although the tribute isn't bad. Also, with regard to post #11, the tribute is not really an offroad vehicle due to its unibody suspension. The unibody is liable to get bent under hard offroad terrain. But the unibody will likely or almost certainly do much better than a complete frame in crash tests.
  • I have the ford Escape and the Honda CRV in my
    mind. However, I am not sure to buy which one. I
    like the Escape because it has good handling; but
    love the reliability of Honda.
    Can anyone can give me some advise?
  • I am trying to find out how well the Escape performs while being towed. How hard is it to hook up to a tow bar. Any special things that have to be done in order to tow it. Like putting it in 2 gear if it is an automatic. I plan to use it to tow behind my motor home.
  • It sounds like every Escape/Tribute owner should learn how to have their vehicle towed.
  • I have been keeping up on all of the different comments since about mid August. I am really amazed at how many people are belly aching about the Escape. Personally I don't have mine yet (it is ordered and hope to have by December) and maybe I will soon be complaining, but I have driven the Honda, Nissan, Kia, Explorer, Blazer, Jeep Wrangler/Cherokee and others in search of what my wife and I think will be the perfect (car/station wagon type SUV grocery getter kid hauler and all around fun rider) for us but keeping in the 20-25k price range. I think the big point here is the price range. Look around at what you can get anymore for that money and I think those of you with the clicks and whirls, recalls jitters and other problems that have come up will see that all these initial problems may not be so bad. Most people say that you should never buy a first year production vehicle. Maybe this is one SUV that some people should have heeded that advise and stayed away from since these things are known to happen in year one. I loved the Jeep Wrangler, it was a ball of a test drive and I had to talk my wife out of it for practicality purposes, the Cherokee Sport is just plain small and uncomfortable and the KIA Sportage is JUNK. I felt like I was in a go kart. The Nissan is underpowered. I could go on and on. Before we decided on the Escape we test drove four different V-6 models and every time we drove it we loved the car feeling, tightness and engine punch. I felt like I was in my wifes Grand Am. The Explorer, Blazer and Mountaineer are really trucks with a wagon rear end and frankly I did not like the hopping/truck feeling that I felt in it. I get that enough in my F-150. But also these have true 4 wheel drive tranny's with low end. This obviously results in different suspension and design type. Hence the unibody frame. For all practical purposes a car frame. I am not trying to slam on the people who are upset about their Escape because honestly people cheering and carrying on about how much they love a car is much more boring than reading messages about problems. At least we can all add our two cents and then look out for the clicking noise under the hood or tranny clunk in ours. I just hope I feel like I do now after having the car for a while. I'll be the first to type that I am upset about something, but I won't forget that it's not a LEXUS or BMW. It's a low priced Ford SUV that is appealing for a lot of reasons. Wind noise in my opinion is a given. I did not buy an Excursion. More often than not people pay for what they get and clearly a 25k price tag does not get much anymore. It is really too bad but that seems to be the American way anymore. I sure don't like it any more than you. Regardless of all of the bad messages I still am just chomping at the bit to pick it up. I certainly don't think that I am right by all accounts because I don't even have one yet. I just think that I have a perspective of what my money is paying for and for the money I don't expect it to be a MERCEDES.
  • FrankMcFrankMc Posts: 228
    is about the transmission. I read somewhere on the internet (blueoval.com or whereever), that Ford is working on a new transmission for the Escape but didn't get it done in time, so for the time being the automatic transmissions on their 6 cyl they will use the Mazda 626 4 cyl transmission. There have been some issues with that transmission, here is a link to a FAQ set up for that.
    http://www.dustbury.com/626/trans.html
  • Where did you guys hear the news for the transmission?
  • If you want a SUV from 20-25 check out the Hyundai Santa Fe. I had a Tribute on order and dropped it for Dealer/Recall/Ordering problems. That weekend I took a Santa Fe out and loved it. It's basically everything the Tribute/Escape is minus Sunroof/7speaker stereo/side airbags/towing pkg(standard oil/trans coolor though)/ and none of the recalls.
  • Does anyone know which transmission is using on the Tribute? Is the 626 V6 transmission or Contour V6
  • previous post indicate it's from the 4 banger set up from the 626
  • To all those concerned about the tranny problems I did some research and have encouraging results. Turns out this is the tranny from the 626 4banger and Contour/Mystique with duratecs. When first introduced, the tranny had a terrible reliability record with regard to specific areas. Ford has been making running changes to this since 1994 but
    in 1999 (I guess when the Escape/Trib was planned) they beefed up the trans adressing specific problem areas. It is now obvious that this trans doesn't have the same internals as a 626 4 banger with considerably less HP and torque. I haven't had any bad symptoms with mine (1800 miles), but I was getting increasingly concerned that future problems would crop up. Someone earlier posted a link explaining the problems in the 626 and what was done to beef it up. It is interesting and should shut up some critics. It is www.dustbury.com/626/trans.html.

I found one thing that I did not like about the tranny design. In order to change the filter, the trans must be completly opened. The pan is mounted vertically so there's no drop the pan method of service. I plan to do this (or have it done learning this) every two years. If it was a conventional pan set up I would do it myself.

I still have that fuel smell after the motor is hot then turned off. It isn't as bad but is still present - although I'm really not concerned about it.
  • It's somewhat disconcerting to learn that the Triscape trans filter seems to be so hard to access. I wonder whether the trans is the "new type" that supposedly doesn't need servicing (and don't say, "Dan Quayle, you're no BMW!). I like to change my auto tranny filters, and the portion of fluid that comes out in the process, about once per year (I'm in real estate sales and have a lot of short trips on surface streets w/lots of tranny shifts per mile driven). There's usually been significant significant particulate material in the bottom of the pan (especially around the little magnets they put in there) and in the filter.
  • gloo2gloo2 Posts: 2
    FOR NEWDRIVER2
    I CURRENTLY OWN A HONDA CRV--98 ES---NEVER HAD A PROBLEM----I MEAN NEVER!!!!!! WHAT A GREAT VEHICLE. TRUTHFULLY, I LIKE THE LOOK OF A TRIBUTE BUT I AM TOOOO SATISFIED WITH MY CRV. AND I STILL THINK ITS CUTE!!! IVE OWNED 2 HONDAS AND NEVER HAD ANY MECHANICAL PROBLEMS, FIRST WAS A CIVIC WHICH WAS TOTALLED BY ANOTHER CAR--SO THEN I BOUGHT THE CRV---ALSO, IT HAS AN EXCELLENT RESALE VALUE. MY CIVIC WAS 6 YRS OLD WHEN IT WAS TOTALED AND I GOT $6500 FOR IT---WHEN I OWED $2400
  • gloo2gloo2 Posts: 2
    ANY COMMENTS REGARDING HONDA CRV AND TRIBUTES? THOUGHT ABOUT TRADING IN, BUT AFTER READING ALL THIS----I DOUBT I'LL LEAVE HONDAWORLD
  • the crv is nice, with an excellent drive system, good looks and that honda reliability....i guess the only rap on it is the lack of snap. i should have got one 3 yrs ago, but pinched a few pennies and bought a sportage.....ops, well without going into diatribe about the KIA, lets just say that was 3 tough years. and i had no mechanical issues with it whatsoever, it just weighs too much and has too little a powerplant. actually does pretty good in snow, but you really have to put the coals to her to simply stay with traffic.
    so i went from a sportage to a trib ES, now i can't stop smilling...and the tranny is smooth and positive in its shift, the cabin is quiet and the handling crisp.
  • I have a friend who bought a 2001 Escape about two weeks ago. I believe it was an XLT with everything but leather for about 23K. At 970 miles he came out of work one day with a friend of his wiping his hands on his back tire. When he asked what was going on the guy said he thought there was break dust all over the car. It turned out to be an oil substance. He started to drive home and could not turn the vehicle left. Back to the dealer and low and behold his power steering case was cracked. Leaked all the fluid all over the inside of the engine and undercarriage. It has been nearly 10 days and the dealer still hasn't got the part. Good old FORD or as better known by old timers Found On Road Dead(F O R D).

Too many recalls for me or anyone who pays this kind of money. Ford needs to seriously redesign their quality control or they will quickly lose their customer base.

BTW very interesting posts.
  • First problem with our Tribute (see post #76 for similar problem): On Friday, the wipers suddenly stopped working on our Tribute (not impressed to say the least!). After arriving at the local Mazda dealer, I was told that another Trib had come in the day before with the exact same problem. The technician said that he had not been able to repair the identical problem (linkage problem) on the other Trib. I am now driving a rental (payed for by the dealer/Mazda) while Mazda apparently finds a solution to this potential safety issue. Did I say that I was not impressed. Can anyone say recall #5 (or is that #6, #7, etc.)

Has anyone else (besides post #76) experienced this problem.
  • drhbdrhb Posts: 1
    I was told by a Mazda dealer that the Trib is not real 4WD. That is, the button that allows "full time" 4WD is ONLY to get out of mud or deep snow; if it is left engaged, excess wear on the tranny will occur. This was also implied in the Mazda site, which refers to the 4WD button as being for "getting out of mud or deep snow."

What's the point of a Tribute vs a RAV4 or a subaru, which both have fulltime 4WD? Am I missing something??
  • alexpalexp Posts: 70
    Drove today to a store passed Ford Dealership (Woodfield Ford in Schaumburg). Suddenly, traffic stopped and I noticed that reason for that was an Escape (taken for a test drive) stopping abruptly with loug noise and tire marks. Some fluid start leeking on the road. That Escape drove about 500 yards from the lot when it happened.
  • Just got my loaded XLT a month ago, put on 1000km, It got 11 MPG in imperial gallons in the city. It's for sale!!!
  • scape2scape2 Posts: 4,119
    The CRV is a womans mini-suv. Honda needs to redesign like Toyota did the RAV4. Sorry, the CRV is to girly for me, I won't drive one!!
    A Ford dealer I drive by everyday has had the same 3 Escapes on their lot now for about a week. I wonder if all this bad press is starting to take its toll...
  • Have you taken this vehicle back to the dealer to see if they can resolve the problem. That is about half what most people are getting in gas mileage..........
  • The Escape/Tribute is sounding more and more like a vehicle that was made behind what was the "Iron Curtain", possibly a Yugo?