Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Lexus RX 300

Comments

• robin007robin007 Posts: 4
    can you explain more with what you meant by the $1500 value package?

thanks.
    robin
  • cas5cas5 Posts: 8
    If anyone is really interested in saving $ on a new RX 300 they should go to priceline.com. I did and got a bid of $35,385 for one with the value package. The only problem with the deal was they would not give me enough for my 1998 GS 400 as a trade.
  • rx2000rx2000 Posts: 11
    I see that the 2001 Rex has a rubber bumper guard on "wegstereo" picture (don't know whether this is standard or option). Anybody can help me on the part number of this bumper guard and approx. cost for it (place to buy will be nice too). This will be a real saver for the bumper. I already scratched mine.

Thnks in advance
  • Melanjian,

The "rear brush guards" were a dealer installed option. $895. If you're in NY try calling Rallye Lexus at 516-676-4000.

RX2000,

I didn't pay extra for the rubber guards so I don't think they're an option.
  • I just wanted to share our recent weekend experience in a Lexus RX-300 on a 4WD course in country New South Wales (Australia). Besides having a great time with our newly acquired Lexus (actually an imported Toyota Harrier) we learned a lot about our vehicle and negotiating real outback conditions.

First, let me say that we were the standout vehicle in a class of Patrol's, Land Cruiser's, Pajero's, Grand Cherokee, Rodeo's etc. Even two purpose built vehicles from 4WD suppliers. We felt positively naked sitting next to these others. But hey, we have taken vehicles beyond their normal limits before and this was our chance to see what we could and could not do in this vehicle.

You should understand that the Lexus RX is not imported by Lexus here yet. It can be imported in right hand drive from Japan as a limited import used car. Same basic AWD 3 Liter vehicle as the USA but for minor cosmetics and radio and steering wheel mounted manual shift buttons. We did add a Jaos front bash plate to it - which proved a handy addition.

The first day started with a drive on river bed sand. The Lexus managed the course with both inflated and deflated tires. Some bottom scraping over rises but overall we managed the course with the pack.

Afterwards, we went to a specially designed track full of rises, dips, drop-offs, mud holes, etc. Even the drivers of the other vehicles were apprehensive. The instructor picked on the Pajero to show how easily it could be stuck on just two wheels with no getting out of it with its traction system.

We were horrified to see the sheer drops into mud pits and the articulation of several obstacles but the instructor thought we might actually make it round. Of course all the other drivers had been chuckling and egging us on.

So I took it on the course hoping to not destroy our vehicle. All the other drivers jumped out of their vehicles to come see "it's the Lexus, it's the Lexus!" They came to watch this dwarf 4WD do the same course they were struggling with.

Guess what? Aside from some bash plate scraping, we managed the whole course with flying colors. While the others dropped into low range and fixed their diffs, we just popped into manual first gear and off we went. Our maneuverability helped overcome obstacles the others took on awkwardly. The gathered crowd broke into applause.

We also managed the steep descent and hill climb but had to use the brakes rather than extra low gear. Not ideal, but it worked on the short hill. The water crossing was equally uneventful - we actually managed it better than some (again, everyone gathered to watch "it's the Lexus!")

Talking to the instructor later he said that we easily outperformed the M-Class, two of which had been on the course and whose drivers went away in disgust. The two things the Lexus really lacks to be a more serious outback drive are a low range (for climbing/descending long loose or slippery slopes) and a couple of additional inches of clearance to drive over small rocks and to clear the raised centers of tracks. A better set of off road tires would also help. If I could find a way of raising and then lowering the vehicle for roads I would do it.

But the thing is, we bought the Lexus to get us comfortably, economically and safely TO destinations where we would hike and camp, and so on. It's our weekend getaway vehicle. There are many such roads around us here and long distances between destinations. If the road gets too rough we either fix it or we stop and go on foot.

Many other 4 WD folks seem to only be interested in driving to a spot having a cup of tea and going off again. Meanwhile they burn fuel like no tomorrow, vibrate the passengers to distraction, scare the heck out of car drivers and wallow on the freeways.

My wife are very happy with our vehicle and the weekend proved to us that the Lexus is capable of more than most people think. When I get some pics of the weekend I'll be able to post them.

See 'ya!
  • gonzo7gonzo7 Posts: 259
    Interesting post!
  • malhokcmalhokc Posts: 83
    These can be purchased at much cheaper prices from urbanjunglesuv.com
  • finch3finch3 Posts: 113
    Here's some more info for you techs. Changed my oil today and can give you the ID on the "Cup Type" filter wrench you will need. As you recall, the best way to access the oil filter is from the front of the engine. This wrench when fitted on a 3/4 inch socket wrench and a short extension, will get that filter off. The wrench is a 73mm 14 flute size. I got mine in Advance Auto.I looked at the A/C Iilter, which is in the glove compartment area, to the right of the CDDCartridge area. At 15,000 miles, it was pretty dirty. Not even bothering with Lenexusrices, I called my Toyota dealer and they wanted $35. This is a modest little thing! So, I have ordered it from Iron Toad.com for $21. I tried to clean the filter, but it needs to be changed regularly, at least every 20,000 miles. For more info, write me at rered riderebtv.net.
  • I am considering buying an RX after Ford buys back my Escape under the lemon law. I am debating between the Pathfinder and the RX. How is the gas mileage on the RX? How many miles does it take to get decent mileage? The stats have it better than the path.
  • Stever@EdmundsStever@Edmunds YooperlandPosts: 38,919
    You have 30 minutes to make any changes or fixes after you post a message. Just click on the Edit button that follows your message after you post it.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • johngreisjohngreis Posts: 69
    To #1392

I have a 2000 awd and have had it on many long trips (13000 on odometer)and always get 22mpg at 70 mph. I once went on a 400 mile trip and set the cruise at 63 mph and I still get the same mileage. City is about 18.
    By the by - I use only 87 octane and have never had a ping.

Good luck
  • I'm looking at both new 2001 and low-mileage 2000 models, both with the Premium Plus package but no NAV (which I don't need, anyway). I live outside Wash,DC in the Virginia suburbs, and so far I've got two dealers down to $38,200 from the $40,601 MSRP package. This is about 6% over invoice. Do I stand a chance of getting much lower on the price, and if so, how much? I found a 2000 RX with very low mileage with the Premium Plus package, in showroom condition, and (yes) the Badawful Integrity tires, for about $35,000. Does this price sound too good to be true? Of course, I would insist on a CarFax Report. I prefer the 2001 for: the VSC, TRAC, HID lights, and the new blue vapor color. Other than the color, is the premium over the 2000 worth spending for these items? I plan an absolute minimum of off-road or blizzard condition driving.

Lastly, is the CD Changer/Slacker located in the 2000 model, but in-dash in the 2001?

I would appreciate your comments.
  • wwestwwest Posts: 10,706
    If you're thinking of buying a 2000 RX AWD to save money then why not buy a FWD RX and save some real money. Without Trac you might never notice much difference between a FWD and an AWD RX.

The addition of Trac on the 2001 makes the RX a REAL AWD.

If you happen to be as old as I am then once you have driven on asphalt at night (in the rain?) with HID you would never go back to "ordinary" headlamps.

2001 CD = glovebox...still.
  • I must say I done a lot of research on the RX but you are the first one to bring up this issue. Do you know personally, or know of any test data available, that describes the handling and braking similarities of or differences between these two models?
  • mkdwyermkdwyer Posts: 4
    Does any know if the dealer's chrome wheel option includes just the wheels, or is there more to it, like upgraded tires also, and if so what type/brand? Two local wheel shops quoted me $700 for a set of 4 RX300 chrome wheels on exchange, which seems like a big savings over the dealer. I'm trying to decide which way to go on this and looking for input. thx.
  • bcjacob1bcjacob1 Posts: 39
    Is there a way to automatically lock all 4 doors on the '01 RX AWD? On my '00 Audi, the dealer was able to reprogram the computer in the car to lock all doors at 15 mph. Just curious if there are any hidden features in the Lexus computer - there are a ton of hidden features in the Audi.
  • mlevinedcmlevinedc Posts: 45
    I have a 01 RX300 on order with the chrome wheels and every available option exc. for Nakamichi and Gold Pkg, They told me the chrome wheels include the spare, therefore I am getting 5 chrome wheels, not four as the tire shop may have offered you in trade. I am also told I will be getting Bridgestone Dueler HT All-Seasons and not Goodyears with the chrome. My local (big multi-store outfit) said there was no way to get a decent set of chrome wheels for 850.00 (Lexus dealer cost).

30 days to delivery, I can't wait.
  • arturitoarturito Posts: 16
    you may want to scroll back to # 1384 for pricing info i live in no. va. and bought a 01 fwd rx in fla two weeks ago for price and avilability let me know if you want details also i think i saw some info on $1500 factory discount being discontinued in a previous post in this forum yet i saw it advertised in the current issue of newsweek magazine go figure! arturito
  • pschiffepschiffe Posts: 373
    I believe the "speed-sensitive auto door lock function" is only supported on LS and GS models.

Pete
  • jeffmust2jeffmust2 Posts: 811
    You can do better with an independent tire shop for chrome RX300 wheels. Besides, it gives you a chance to dump the BadYears or the Duelers and put tires on the RX that it deserves.

For not much more than the $850-900 they want to charge you for just to have chrome wheels and the same tires, you can have four (4) chrome OEM RX wheels (on an exchange basis) and Michelin tires, either the LTX or the Cross-Terrains -- both of which are vastly superior in all ways to the OEM BadYears (Duelers are not as painfully Out-of-Their-League so you could keep them without major depression).

I have a new 2001 RX and I had my local tire guy chrome the four wheels and install Cross Terrains; with road hazard warranty, I think the total with labor was about $1070. And I have four Badyears sitting in plastic bags that Lexus can have back in three years.

The chromed wheels look great, with the same gold-plated "L" Lexus logo initial in the center cap. I used the tire guy's subcontractor plating service a few years ago on a different vehicle - never had a flaking or defect problem. And if there is a problem, the wheel goes back and I receive another one at no charge.

Easy decision.